Saturday, August 11, 2018

B12 Branches The Westlake Branch Pillinger/Wood From Thomas Jillett

Stanton - From an Old Painting

Susannah Westlake


Susannah was born on Norfolk Island in 1799.  Her parents were  Edward Westlake, and Elizabeth Ann Wood.  The family returned from Norfolk Island in 1808, and settled in New Norfolk. Her mother died 19th November 1808, in Hobart, prior to Edward taking up his land in New Norfolk. When she was 16 she had a daughter Amelia.

After her mother's marriage in 1820, Amelia was known as Amelia Shone.

Susannah and Thomas had two children.  Those children married into established Tasmanian Colonial families - The Jilletts/and the Cockrills.

In reality they all lived next door to each other!



Amelia Westlake  -  Known as Shone  married William Cleland

 
Amelia was born in 1815, and christened by the Rev Knopwood



She was married in 1835, by Special licence, as she was under the age of 21.


Married—by special license, at St. David's Church, by the Rev. Wm. Bedferd, on Monday 23rd March, Wm. Cleland, Esq. of Thornhill, to Amelia, eldest daughter of Thomas Shone,Esq. Stanton House, New Norfolk

William Cleland arrived 28th February 1831 on the Drummore from Leith Scotland
William Cleland was fined 10s. and costs, for riding on a dray in his charge, without any person on foot to guide the horse.

Later that year August 1834 he was fined another 10s and costs for riding on a cart of which he was the driver in Macquarie Street, without reins

In 1843 he became the Pound keeper at New Norfolk 
He died 9th January 1854 at New Norfolk
Their children
James Cleland                                       1835                1881
William Wood Cleland                         1837    -           1871
Thomas John Cleland                           1839     -           1866
Henry Francis Quentin Cleland            1844 -               1924     Sydney
Mary Jane Cleland                                1844 -               1929
Elizabeth Cleland                                 1845 -               1929
Amelia Margaret Cleland                     1847 -               1848
George Frederick Cleland                     1849 -               1926
Margaret Susannah Cleland                  1851 -               1897


In 1855, his children called for a Trustee to be appointed in relation to his will, as there was affairs in Scotland which called for the appointment.


By 1864, Amelia was declared insolvent

It would seem that their son Henry Cleland, went to New South Wales, and was a horseman.  In the Jillett Diaries, written by Arthur Jillett, his cousin, they made mention that they met "Henry Cleland".

In 1897 a lease that he had obtained in 1891 for 87 acres in the Parish of Jamberoo  was forfeited.

Of interest is that her son William Wood Cleland, was the Licensee of the "Hit or Miss Hotel[1]" in Hamilton in 1859 to 1861.  The photo was taken in 1963.



Amelia died in October 1882, aged 83.  they lived at Grange Barn near Hamilton




[1] http://museum.collection.hht.net.au/search.do;jsessionid=Yfhhu2F1vXJObOj0s12wjwuk?id=1306&db=object&view=detail&mode=1






This is the first (or closest to the wall) of two layers of wallpaper removed from an unidentified room at the Hit or Miss Hotel, George Street, Hamilton Tasmania. It is unknown when this hotel was built though the retrieved wallpapers suggest it was in place by the 1850s at the latest. In October 1842, the Hobart Town Gazette published a list of licences to retail wine, spirit etc - on that list was James Middleton of the Hit or Miss Hotel. Although a Hit or Miss Hotel was in existence from as early as 1842, it is unknown if it is the same building from which the wallpapers were retrieved.

A photograph of the two-storey Hit or Miss Hotel appeared in Michael Sharland's 'Stones of a Century' in 1952. It was at that time being used as a private residence but was clearly not structurally sound as a timber prop was being used on the front right of the building. In the same photo, the nearby brewery was in ruins.

By August 1975, the 'Hamilton Town Study', written by architects Howroyd & Forward, showed a photograph of the Hit or Miss Hotel almost completely demolished. According to the report, the demolition had occurred 'in the last decade.'

The wallpaper comes from a personal and professional collection accumulated by eminent conservation architect, Clive Lucas, over the last 30 years. It is one of over 90 wallpaper fragments, most dating between 1840 and 1910, which were retrieved by Lucas from more than 20 different buildings in NSW, Tasmania and England. Lucas retrieved some of the samples whilst working on a property. Many of the samples were subsequently glued into a scrapbook by Lucas (or his wife) – none of the samples have been removed from the backing boards but the scrapbook has been dismantled for conservation reasons and the acidic tissue interleaving has been removed. The original order of the scrapbook is reflected in the part numbers of the wallpapers – part 1 being the original first page of the scrapbook. There were also a number of loose samples at the back of the scrapbook which have been added to the end of the numbering sequence.
Provenance Place
Hit or Miss Hotel/Hamilton/TAS/Australia



Edward Westlake and Elizabeth Adams.  -  Parents of Susannah Westlake


Edward was born at Sampford Courtnay in Devon, son of Edward Westlake and Mary Reddaway, and baptised on 28th December 1752. He married Elizabeth Mortimer at Chagford, Devon, on 30th December 1779, and their sons John born 1780, Edward born 1784, and Thomas born 1785 were all born at Chagford where their father Edward was a farmer.

Chagford, in the heart of Devon, lies on the edge of legendary Dartmoor National Park and is close to the beautiful River Teign.  Easily accessible from Exeter, it is an important stopping point for visitors venturing to the picturesque South West of England. As a famous Stannary town, Chagford has an exciting and vibrant history  



 At the Devon Lent Assizes, held at Exeter on 20 March 1786, before Sir James Eyre and Sir Beaumont Hotham; John Mortimer, Noah Mortimer and Edward Westlake were committed for sheep stealing on 26th December 1785.

"For stealing one weather sheep price 12 shillings the goods of John Rowe and for stealing 40 pounds of mutton, value 10 shilling the goods of a person unknown"
All three men were found not guilty of the first charge by guilty of the second and sentenced to seven years transportation.

He was 34 years of age when received on the hulk "Dunkirk", where he was tolerably decent and orderly" and embarked on 11th March 1787 with the First Fleet on the "Charlotte" which arrived at Port Jackson 26th January 1788. Now known as  Australia Day


 A report from the night watch member while the ship was at Dunkirk notes that the hulk was "tolerably decent and orderly."

In March 1788, not long after arriving, a party of 23 people including 15 convicts (9male, 6 female) were chosen to make the 1368 klm journey to Norfolk Island.  The aim was to farm the land and to grow crops to support the increasing population in Sydney.

 Edward was sent as he was the best of a bad lot.

Given that the convicts were chained together, the conditions must have been deplorable.

Three of the Norfolk Islanders were the Devon men, John Mortimore, Noah Mortimore and Edward Westlake, each had been jointly tried at Exeter for stealing a sheep valued at twelve shillings, and forty pounds of mutton valued at ten shillings. The sheep stealing charge was dismissed but each received seven years transportation on the second count. John and Noah may have been father and son as John was stated to be 70 years of age when he received 100 lashes on Norfolk Island in 1791.




After serving his sentence, he and his wife and 6 children were relocated to Van Diemen s Land in 1808 aboard the City of Edinburgh. He was granted land at Clarence Plains (Rokeby)  He remained a grazier and died in 1828.  He was buried at New Norfolk.  

At the time of his conviction, it was noted that his partners in the crime were John Mortimer and Noah Mortimer.  Edward was married to Elizabeth Mortimer, so it is assumed that they were relations of hers. 

A report from the night watch member while the ship was at Dunkirk notes that the hulk was "tolerably decent and orderly."

Given that the convicts were chained together, the conditions must have been deplorable. 

There are some articles relating to Edward in the Tasmanian newspapers, he was able to supply wheat, and then in 1823, his land lease had not been taken up.











Elizabeth Wood  nee Adams

Elizabeth Wood (born about 1763),  she married John Wood.  They had a daughter Elizabeth Ann Wood born 1787

She, was tried at the Old Bailey Sessions on 9th September 1789, convicted, and sentenced to transportation for 7 years.

It was not her first charge.  She had, in June 1793, been convicted and fined for defrauding Ann Gadbury and sent to Newgate prison for 6 months.



ELIZABETH WOOD, Theft > grand larceny, 29th May 1793.
ELIZABETH WOOD was indicted in The Old Bailey, for stealing, on the 28th of April ,     15 s. in monies numbered , the monies of Agnes Gray , widow .
AGNES GRAY sworn.
I am a widow. I lost fifteen shillings in money, I keep a Turner's shop , No. 29, Cow-lane, Smithfield ; the prisoner came to me on Thursday before Good Friday, and ordered a mat, a broom, a a basket, and a whitening brush, and told me I must send change for a guinea, I made a bill out, they came to six shillings and I gave it to her, and gave the change to my girl.
ANN - sworn.
I am servant to the widow lady Mrs. Gray; I had orders the Thursday before Good Friday, to go along with the prisoner at the bar, I took a mat with me and a large hair broom, that was all I took, the prisoner took the rest, the basket and the whitening brush; I took fifteen shillings with me which my mistress gave me; I went with her till she came to Mr. Smith's in Smithfield an oil shop, she said, she wanted something there that was wanting in the house, and if I would let her have the money I should save her the trouble of coming out again, and she would take the things she wanted in with her.
Q. Did she live at that oil shop? - No.
Q. Did you give her the money? - I did, and she went in and came out again, and I went with her to Charter-house-square under the arch way.
Q. Did she lay out any of this money in the oil shop? - Yes, she did, I think it was two pence half-penny, and then she said in Charter-house-square that she had forgot to get a lump of fresh butter, and she said she would go back and get it if I would stop there, and she would not be above five minutes gone; I stopped there above an hour till my mistress fetched me home with the goods, and I did not see no more of her till yesterday week; this happened about two months ago.
Q. Did you know her when you see her last Monday week? - I did not, she was serving a lad in the same manner, and I asked him if the woman had his money from him? he said, yes; I was in Charter-house-square, I watched her then where she went to, she went into the corner of barbican a public house, and when she came out from there, the people of the oil shop to whom the boy belonged came to her and had the money back again; and then she went to an old iron shop and from there to several other places, I pursued her about an hour and a half before I could get any body to get a constable; I took her at last in Cloth Fair, and the constable took her into the public house, the sign of the Punch Bowl in Long lane, where she had served them in the same manner.
Q. Was any of the fifteen shillings marked at all? - No.
Q. Have you the money taken on her? - Yes, the constable has got what was found on her.
Q. Did you part with the other things? - My mistress has got them again.
Prisoner. I wish to know whether ever she saw me before she saw me at Guildhall? - After she had first got the money from me I saw her at Charter-house-square, and then afterwards at Guildhall.
LAZARUS JACOBS sworn.
I am a constable; I was sent for on the 27th of May, there were two or three people came to my house; I examined her, I found on her half a guinea and three shillings, but nothing that that young woman could swear to.
Prisoner. I live two or three doors from the prosecutor, I have lived there this two years; the prosecutor and the girl have both of them been at my apartment; I went into Middle-street Cloth Fair last week, and somebody charged me with a defraud, and I was committed to the Compter, this person, the prosecutor, said that she knew me to be the same person by being a tall woman, they have been both at my house in Cow-lane, I don't live ten doors from them.
The prisoner called seven witnesses who gave her a very good character.
Jury to Prosecutor. Did you know that the prisoner did live in Cow-lane? - I did not know it till after she was committed.
GUILTY . (Aged 33.)
Imprisoned six months in Newgate and fined 1 s.
Tried by the London Jury before Mr. RECORDER.



SARAH CONJUIT, ELIZABETH WOOD, Theft - shoplifting, 9th September 1789.

586. SARAH CONJUIT , and ELIZABETH, wife of JOHN WOOD , were indicted for feloniously stealing a pair of silk stockings, value 7 s. a pair of cotton ditto, value 3 s. 6 d. the property of Isaac Garner , privily in his shop .
ISAAC GARNER sworn.
I live near Shoreditch turnpike ; I am a hosier ; I was not at home at the time the robbery happened; I only speak to the property.
ELIZABETH GARNER sworn.
On the 19th of August , the two prisoners came into our shop; I never saw them before; I was in the shop; the prisoner Wood asked for men's ribbed cotton stockings; I shewed them some at three shillings and six-pence a pair; they did not like the rib; I shewed them another, but they were not fine enough; then the prisoner Conjuit said there is a pair at the corner of the window, of dark stockings with clocks, which we wish to look at; while I was getting them, I saw the tall prisoner take the pair of cotton; I did not see her take the pair of silk; I asked her four shillings for the dark stockings; she bid me three shillings; I told her we did not deal in that manner; then she bid me six-pence more; I saw the cotton stockings under her arm; I did not see the silk stockings till I came round the counter; she had put the cotton stockings under her cloak; under her right arm, but covered them quite; I took them from her; she gave me bad language; they were both in liquor; she swore, but I cannot recollect the words: the prisoner Wood dropped the silk stockings from her left side, when I shook her; and the little prisoner took them up, and said are these yours? I said yes; and sent for an officer; he told me to take them into the parlour and search them; I found nothing but duplicates of four pair of stockings pawned that day; I never saw the prisoners before; I saw the silk stockings ten minutes before they came in; they hung on a line at the door and the cotton next to them; the prisoners were twenty minutes in the shop after I began to suspect them; I looked sharp, and saw the prisoner Wood take the cotton stockings.
Court. What distance from the line was the prisoner? - About two yards.
Was it possible these stockings could be shook off the line? - I was on the opposite side of the shop, towards the top, and the line was at the door; I gave the stockings to the officer, and he gave them to me again; I have kept them till this morning.
(The stockings produced and deposed to.)
JAMES SHAKESHAFT sworn.
I returned the same stockings again to Mrs. Garner.
PRISONER WOOD's DEFENCE.
I went to buy my husband a pair of stockings; I asked for a pair of mottled stockings with clocks; she shewed me one pair: I told her, they were too good; she said she missed a pair of stockings; she ran from behind the counter, and shook me in such a manner, whether they fell down or not, I cannot say; I sell things in the streets.

PRISONER CONJUIT's DEFENCE.
I went with this Mrs. Wood to buy a pair of stockings; I had the child in my arms, I saw a pair of silk stockings laying, the child took them up, and gave them to the prosecutrix, the prosecutrix bid me go; she said she said she had nothing against me, I would not go out, the officer came and took us both.
Prosecutrix. I stopped her, and would not let her go, I locked her in, she said she had left half a guinea over the way.
ELIZABETH GILL sworn.
I know Sarah Conjuit from a baby; and her mother and father are very honest industrious, good people; her poor mother lays almost dead in the yard now; I cannot say I ever knew any thing against her till now; she has been a girl on the town, misfortunate, but nothing else.
BOTH GUILTY, Of stealing, but not privately .
The Prosecutrix recommended the prisoners to the mercy of the Court.
Tried by the second Middlesex Jury before Mr. Justice WILSON.


Elizabeth and her small daughter, aged about 4, also named Elizabeth , were in Newgate Prison until 11th November 1789 when they and other convicts taken to the River Thames to be taken by lighter to the "Neptune" transport  at Woolwich, where she had been since mid-October awaiting her complement of convicts.

The "Neptune" sailed as part of the Second Fleet from Portsmouth on 17th January 1790; the "Neptune" was built in the Thames in 1779 and was the largest vessel used to that date in transporting convicts. She arrived at the Cape of Good Hope on 13rd April and after 16 days at the Cape she sailed again on 29th April, arriving at Port Jackson, New South Wales, 28th June 1790, having been 160 days on passage.

A total of 502 convicts embarked  on "Neptune", 161 died at sea and 269 sick were landed at Port Jackson. The conditions on board were indescribably bad, scurvy was rife.

Elizabeth and her small daughter were sent from Port Jackson to Norfolk Island on the "Surprize", arriving 7th August 1790.



Her relationship with Edward Westlake began., with a marriage record of 1791.

Edward and Elizabeth had 7 children.

Samuel                1792              1871  in Geelong Hospital
Mary  born          1794,              1879    m    John Broadhurst Boothman, and had 7 children
Ann born             1796,                         m   Joseph Morris
Susannah             1799              1882,
Richard                1800,                         1881   in Bourke NSW
George                 1802              1814
Charles                1804                          1877.  in Hobart




Elizabeth's daughter Elizabeth was also known as Elizabeth Westlake.  Elizabeth Jnr married James Pillinger. They had two children while on Norfolk, and many more when they returned to Tasmania. Information from the Tasmanian Archives is listed below.

According to the Monument in St David's Park,  Susannah Westlake's name does not appear on the records of the "City of Edinburgh,"[1]

Several of the children can be accounted for as the remaining 3 sons all appear on the musters recorded in 1818, 1819.   Mary and Susannah had recorded marriages, and George died in 1814, Charles died in 1877.

Their son Charles was listed in the Return of Paupers - Invalid Depots reports of 1877,  as he had been admitted on 16th November 1875 and discharged on 2nd January 1877, "fit for light work"

The newspaper records of the day provide an insight into the life and times of the families.  In 1827 Samuel Westlake, a sawyer absconded from his employer, he stated he was sick and never returned! 

In 1829, Edward Westlake owed 18 shillings to the Government for his 105 acres at Gloucester.  He was farming wheat.  His partner in crime Noah Mortimer also owed money for his rent!

Records indicate that Elizabeth Westlake died in Hobart 19th November 1808. 
Who then, raised the children?






Edward Westlake m Elizabeth Wood His land on Norfolk Is


Edward Westlake was selected  as one of a founding party of 23 persons to settle Norfolk Island from Port Jackson sailing on the "Supply", 15 Feb 1788, under the command of Lieut. Philip Gidley King.

King had promised that they could return to England after their sentences were complete.
(There is a new museum on Norfolk Island with information about the First Fleet Convicts, Edward's name is listed on the honour board).

Those people going were:

Jamieson, Surgeon s Mate of the "Sirius"; Mr James Cunningham, Master s Mate of the "Sirius"; Mr T. Altree, Assistant Surgeon; two seamen- Roger Morely & William Westbrook; two Marines from the "Sirius"-Kerridge & Batchelor; Six female convicts-Elizabeths Lee, Hipsley & Colley, Olive Gascoin, Ann Inett and Susan Gough; six male convicts-Charles Mc Lellan, Richard Widdicombe, Edward Garth, Edward Westlake, John Mortimore, Noah Mortimore, Nathaniel Lucas and two other names not known.

King discovered Lord Howe Island en route and arrived off Norfolk Island on the 28th of February and landed on the island on 6 Mar 1788.

Edward Westlake petitioned Governor Phillip on 28 Sep to allow his family to be sent out to join him. The request was granted but his family did not go to NSW.

Further landings of convicts were made so that by Feb of 1790 there were 149 inhabitants.


In Jul 1791 he was subsisting three persons on a one acre size Sydney town lot with 58 rods 
cleared.  (Sydney town was Kingston)
In Sept 1791 Lt-Gov. King had deemed it necessary to nominate a nightwatch of 21 persons, to patrol several assigned areas. Edward Westlake was one of 5 trusted men to patrol the Arthur s Vale area, under Captain Hussey, defined "from Capt Paterson s garden to the Governor s garden."

Life on the Island was very difficult.  They had to cope with the weather, the guards, the winds, the conditions, and at one stage there was a plot to hijack a boat and row away.  They had no idea that they were virtually trapped on the island.  Noah Mortimer was punished with 60 lashes for refusing to work!

The journal written by Phillip Gidley King is well worth reading as it details the events of the day.



One of the benefits for the convict men was that they could chose to marry on the island, mainly because he did not want to encourage any homosexuality and he also told them that they would be sent back to England if they chose it.  That certainly did not happen.

Edward Westlake married Elizabeth Wood, nee Adams, herself a convict.

Colleen McCullough wrote a book about her husband's family, called Morgan's Run.  It tells the story of Richard Morgan and others, about their life and times in the First Settlement it is well worth reading.

A visit to Norfolk Island is a must just to walk in an ancestors footsteps, reflect on the conditions that Edward and Elizabeth and their children all faced.

 Imagine trying to walk from their land to Kingston, to have their details recorded, when they were off stores or to attend the Sunday church services.

The land is so hilly, and today there are roads and bridges to cater for the cars, and the cattle have made their own tracks on the hillside. 

Edward married Elizabeth Wood (Adams) on 5th November 1791 when the Rev Richard Johnson arrived and married around 100 people.

On 15 Jan 1793 Westlake was granted 24 acres, (Lot 3) which is about 800 metres east of the wharf at Cascade Bay, and had 2 sows, a cock and six hens, going off stores at once for grain and by May for meat.   That meant they were totally reliant on what they grew. 

By Oct 1793 he had cultivated four of his 24 acres, all ploughable, and in June he was living with Elizabeth Wood and three children (Elizabeth had been sent to Norfolk Island after arriving with the Second Fleet).

























In 1794 Edward Westlake was described as a farmer and the occupations of the Norfolk Islanders in Feb 1805 show the three men as settlers and landowners, and off the stores, as their sentences had expired.

By Mar 1805 he had seven children, all born in the colony plus the daughter that Elizabeth Wood brought with her on the "Neptune". He was a second class settler with 20 acres cultivated and 62 waste, he also owned 36 swine.

In 1806 he was credited 22 pounds ten shillings for the sale of 15 full grown sheep.

In Aug 1807 he is recorded as holding 82 acres, 15 in grain and 67 pasture, with 21 sheep, 36 hogs and 100 bushels of maize in hand.

When it was decided to disband the settlement five vessels were used over a period of six years to transport the inhabitants of Norfolk Island to Van Diemen s Land..

William Maum in a letter he wrote to a friend about the trip on the "Porpoise":-

"We arrived here in safety after a most favourable passage of 19 days (ship records say it took 23 days). We encountered no storms and the sea was so smooth that an open boat might safely come the same voyage, which was a happy circumstance considering the great number packed and stored on board, whose situation would be deplorable had we encountered bad weather.....On our arrival here the settlers and others were billeted on the inhabitants of this town, which is far larger than you could suppose. The houses in general are lath and plaster, and immoderately dear, as a house equal in size to your workshop, of such bad materials, would bring you 50 pounds."

The "City of Edinburgh" was chartered to move the Norfolk Islanders. She sailed from there on 9 Sep 1808 and arrived at Hobart Town 2 Oct 1808.

Among those on board was Edward Westlake, his wife and six children. He had left behind buildings valued at 22 pounds plus  82 acres and was to receive 105 acres at Roache s Beach, Rokeby (Bellerive or Clarence Plains). The population of Hobart Town in 1808 was 799 persons

Note. In some records his name was spelt Westlick, the phonetic spelling.

Colonial Secretary s Index held at NSW Archives lists :-
"1796, Dec 30 - on list of all grants and leases of land registered in the CSO

In an index to land grants in VDL (1813) -Fiche 3262; 4/438. p.94.
1819-1822 On list of persons owing quit rents in VDL, for land at Clarence Plains

25 May 1821- Indebted to the Government at Hobart (Reel 6054; 4/1757 p 64c.)

In 1815 he signed a petition for a Court of Criminal Judicature.
"Hobart Town Gazette" Sat 29 March 1817 : "A List of Settlers who have tendered Wheat for Supply of His Majesty's Stores, with the Quantity that will be received from each-- Edw. Westlake 39 bushels"


"H.T. Gazette" Sat 14 Feb 1818 under Public Notice:  "The under-mentioned Grants of Land are now lying at the Acting Deputy Assistant Commissary General s Office for Delivery on the Fees being paid which are due thereon- Edward Westlake, 105 acres, 2/2/7d"

The 1818 Muster taken from 7 Sep till 2 Oct, 1818 listed every person in Hobart Town includes Edward Westlake as off the stores.

"H.T.Gazette" 28 Mar 1823 advertised a 60 acre grant for Edward Westlake that would be relinquished if not taken up


 



Three of the Norfolk Islanders were the Devon men, John Mortimore, Noah Mortimore and Edward Westlake, each had been jointly tried at Exeter for stealing a sheep valued at twelve shillings, and forty pounds of mutton valued at ten shillings. The sheep stealing charge was dismissed but each received seven years transportation on the second count. John and Noah may have been father and son as John was stated to be 70 years of age when he received 100 lashes on Norfolk Island in 1791.


It has been identified and confirmed that there are more than 32 errors in the listing of those who left Norfolk Island on the "City of Edinburgh".  That has been relayed to authorities, Council who advise they are responsible, and to the Hobart State Government.

 Pillinger 

The Westlake and Pillinger families were relocated to Van Diemen's Land aboard the "City of Edinburgh" in 1808.


Elizabeth Westlake was buried as Elizabeth Wood in Hobart on 19th November 1808 (age given as 45). Edward Westlake died in New Norfolk 11th November 1828   (age given as 77).

At the Devon Lent Assizes, held  at Exeter on 20 Mar 1786 before Sir James Eyre and Sir Beaumont Hotham; John Mortimer, Noah Mortimer & Edward Westlake were committed for sheep stealing on 26 Dec 1785.

"For stealing one weather sheep price 12 shillings the goods of John Rowe and for stealing 40 pounds of mutton, value 10 shillings the goods of a person unknown."

All three men were found not guilty of the first charge but guilty of the second and ten






 Elizabeth Wood m James Torrance Pillinger

Elizabeth Wood, the child transported with her mother aboard the "Neptune" in 1790 married James Pillinger on 15th January 1806 on Norfolk Island.

James Torrance Pillinger arrived in Australia on the Pitt. He was convicted in June 1790 at Bristol and the ship left UK June 1791
James was born c 1766, to William and Jane Pillinger.  He was 24 years of age when he left on the Pitt for 7 years.  He died 1845, and is buried at Woodbury Cemetery near Tunbridge.
12 Jul 1845
Cemetery
Woodbury Private 6kms S. Tunbridge
Cemetery Location
Oatlands, Tasmania

PILLINGER, James
n.d.
In index to land grants in Van Diemen's Land [1813 & 1817]; appears as Pillenger (Fiche 3262; 4/438 pp.70, 71)
1816
On list of persons who have had lands measured in Van Diemen's Land but have not received their grants (Reel 6048; 4/1742 p.297)
1819-23
On list of persons owing quit rents in Van Diemen's Land; for land in the District of Clarence Plains (Fiche 3270; X19 p.20)
1821 May 25
Indebted to the Government at Hobart; appears as Pillanger (Reel 6054; 4/1757 p.64b)

He married Elizabeth on Norfolk Island and they had several children

William Wood Pillinger             1805  - 1881?  maybe in Brisbane
James Rowlands Pillinger          1806 - 1889  , b 1806 in New Norfolk Tas Australia; died 1889 in                                                      Oatlands Tas.  He married Sophia Maria Peters

Mary Pillinger                           1808  - 1876 was born on the voyage to Hobart, she married James                                                                  Wood  (A sea captain)

Elizabeth Pillinger                    1812 -  1843  m  James Matthews
George Pillinger                       1814  -  1863 
Richard Pillinger                      1817      aft 1847
Edward James Pillinger            1818     1878   m  Amelia Little
Susannah Pillinger                    1821 -   1848  m  Ruebin Luckman
Sarah Pillinger                          1823  - 1853   m  Emanuel Benjamin

George Pillinger appears to have drowned in an accident in Victoria with a whaling boat.
Richard Pillinger was mentioned for capturing an armed runaway, and then appears to have gone to South Australia in 1847.



James Pillinger, presumably the son, James Junior, was appointed a Constable and the Pound keeper at Oatlands.  He held that role for many years.



Colonial Times (Hobart, Tas. : 1828 - 1857), Tuesday 16 March 1847, page 3
The Queen versus Pillinger

For the plaintiff, Mr. F. Smith, with Messrs. Butler & Nutt; for the defendant, Mr. Macowell, with Mr. Harrison.

The following were the jurors:-T. G. Greg-son (foreman). J. D. Lock, A. Morrison, Charles Harrison, A. Goldie, T. Hopkins, Henry Lloyd, R. L Stewart, Jos. Ferguson. F. Smith, T. W. Parramore, J K Buscombe, Esquires.

Mr. Smith stated the case to the jury. This was a prosecution on the part of the Queen upon a scire facias, to repeal a grant of land which had been issued to the defendant. Mr James Pillinger, and comprising 389 acres of land at Antill Ponds. Although the Queen was the nominal plaintiff, tho actual plaintiff was the heiress of the late Captain Harris Walker, now Mr. Nutt, who complained that by the misrepresentation of the defendant, some sixty acres of her land had been granted to him. This was the only process by which the repeal of a Crown grant could be effected, although formerly the Crown could at once repeal its own grants ; in more liberal times, however, the subject was allowed to appeal to a jury by scire jacias, and it was for the jury there-fore to inquire whether or not the defendant bad. by misrepresentation or otherwise, encroached upon the plaintiff's land, upon the northern, eastern, and western boundaries, to the extent complained of.  Pillinger claimed the ownership under a Brisbane grant to William Nicholls in 1823, but the land now claimed "by the plaintiff was comprised in a new grant of March, 1844, which he obtained through Messrs. Butler & Co., whom he employed for that purpose. The plan, moreover, upon which tho grant was founded, was made by Mr. Allan Jackson, a friend and neighbour of Mr. Pillinger's, but was subsequently recognised by the Surveyor-General, and the grant issued.


The learned counsel here adverted to several plans and diagrams which had been prepared by different surveyors-by Messrs. Scott, Woodward, Malcolm, and others, who. he contended, could have no interest in misrepresenting the boundaries, as they merely acted in the performance of their official duties ; so that, he observed, there were five plans by persons totally uninterested, to one by a friend and neighbour. In conclusion, Mr. Smith again adverted to the nature of the proceedings of the action, and then proceeded to call his witnesses.

Of these a considerable number were called on both sides, to prove the plans, the grants, and the boundaries. Both the learned counsel engaged exerted themselves tilth much ability, and about nine o'clock, so satisfied were the jury of the correctness of Mr. Pillinger's claim, that with-out retiring, they returned a verdict of Not Guilty.

He later requested funds for the court case, and they were approved



Edward James Pillinger
Mercury (Hobart, Tas. : 1860 - 1954), Wednesday 12 June 1878, page 2


DEATH IN THE BUSH.
An inquest was held yesterday afternoon at the Horse Shoe Inn, Cambridge, on the body of Edward Pillinger, who was found lying dead on Mr. Neil Lewis' run, at Milford, on Sunday last. Mr. R. Strachan, Coroner, presided.

The following jury were sworn: Charles McRorie (foreman), Charles Atkins, John McDermott, John Garlick, John King, David Dunkley, Robert Bruce Murdock. They proceeded to view the body in the outhouse of the hotel.
Henry Charles Vimpany deposed ¡ I reside in Hobart Town, and the deceased, Edward Pillinger, was my brother-in-law. I last saw the deceased in Hobart Town on Thursday, April 25. Deceased had been staying at my place, off and on, for about a fortnight. He did not go to bed on the night of the 24th, but slept in an arm chair, by the fire. He was not, to my knowledge, in a bad state of health, and was not strange in any way.

He was about 50 years of age. He left on the morning of the 25th by O'May's steamer for Kangarooo Point. He stated his intention of going to Richmond for a fortnight, and then proceeding to his brother's at Oatlands. I have seen nothing of him since then. I recognised a hat, flask, spectacle-case, and other articles which were found on the body as having belonged to the deceased, and which he had on him when he left Hobart Town.

From all I have seen I have no doubt of the body being that of Edward Pillinger. I have never heard him speak of destroying himself, and I know of nothing to suppose that he has done so now! He was in bad circumstances of late, and was addicted to excessive drinking.

To the Coroner ¡ He said that if he could not get light employment at his brother's he would go on to New Zealand, and promised to write to me when he got there. That was the reason no enquiries were made concerning him, though I was expecting a letter in accordance with his promise.

Eliza Garlick deposed that the deceased came to the Horse Shoe Hotel about 2 o'clock on the 25th April, and remained until 8 o'clock the following morning. He was sober when he left before break-fast time, but did not state where he was going. He did not complain of any trouble or illness. Could not say if he took any spirits away with him.

Henry Alleine Perkins deposed that he was a legally qualified medical practitioner residing in Hobart Town, and had made a post mortem examination of the body of the deceased on that morning. It was in an advanced state of decomposition, the features undistinguishable, and it was impossible from this reason to state the immediate cause of death, or what disease, if any, he was suffering from. The evidence described the appearance of the body in detail. There was no fracture of the skull. Death must have occurred at least a month since. The appearance was compatible with death, having occurred shortly after his having been last seen as given in evidence by the witnesses.
George Stanley, living at Milford, deposed to accompanying Mr. Lamb and Mr. Superintendent Pedder, to the place where the body was lying, on Sunday last and recognising it as that of Edward Pillinger, from the clothing it had on. Know him personally, but had not seen him since the early part of March.

David Garlick stated that on Saturday, June 8, he was passing through Mr. Neil Lewis' run at Mil-ford, when he saw the body of a man lying under a tree on the ground in the bush, about 100 yards from the road leading to the Lower Kerry. The body was lying face downwards on the coat, which had been taken off. The bottle, hat, spectacle case, and other articles produced were on the ground close to the body. There were no marks of a struggle having taken place. Reported the matter to the police.

This was all the evidence, and after a few remarks from the coroner upon it, the jury returned a verdict that the deceased Edward Pillinger was found dead in the bush, but that how he came by his death there was no evidence to show.

Poor Edward, but there was more to the life of Edward James Pillinger.  He once owned an island



Property title: Henry Charles Vimpany

Edward married Amelia Little on 5 September 1857. Amelia was related to Mr E Vimpany. Mr Pillinger claimed to live on the island 20 August 1867. Edward and Amelia had a daughter 22 July 1874 (unknown name). Edward was engaged in a financial dispute with Thomas Gabriel Read, the island's previous owner.

He was found dead in Mr Neil Lewis's run in Milford, Cambridge on 8 June 1878, in an advanced state of decomposition. He was 50 years old. An inquest returned an open verdict however given a partly full bottle of Strychnine was found near the corpse, Strychnine poisoning was presumed to be the cause of death. Mr Pillinger's wife, Amelia, died on Smooth Island on 1 October 1876 after a 'short and painful' illness. Mr Pillinger probably sold the island between 1877 and 1878.] Edward Pillinger was the brother-in-law of Mr Vimpany



So who was Henry Charles Vimpany, well that sort of remains a bit of a mystery other than he was the son of Edward/Edmund Vimpany.  An unusual surname, and the only record held by Linc (Tasmanian archives) is one associated with Charles Vimpany, who arrived c 1834, and was sentenced to Port Arthur.  In 1847 he was in the Police Barracks in Launceston.

How was the relationship forged?            

Edward married Amelia Little, perhaps she had been married before, although her marriage record shows she is a spinster.

Had her mother married Edmund Vimpany as a second husband.

Edmund however, was never short of having a brush with the law.

He appears to have a son, who married a girl named Sarah

But were the two Vimpanys related?  Charles to Port Arthur, then in prison in Launceston, and Edmund always in trouble with the law.


Colonial Times (Hobart, Tas. : 1828 - 1857), Wednesday 12 March 1856, page 3
THE LAW OF SURETIES FOR THE PEACE.Edward Vimpiny, a shoemaker, residing in Melville-street, yesterday appeared before Mr. Burgess to substantiate an application for sureties of the peace against Charles Carpenter and Rachel Carpenter. Mr. Lees for complainant, Mr. Brewer for defendants. Mr. Brewer said there was one matter in this case that he wished to mention that the defendants were brought there on a previous day, when the complainant was absent on an alleged threat that he was in bodily fear, and now on the 11th of March, the parties were brought there a second time.
Mr. Lees said he was concerned for Vimpany, and a mistake arose as to the time when it came on. Mr. Burgess said the case must proceed. Mr. Brewer applied for costs of the former attendance, but his worship said he had no power. The evidence was that defendants threatened to break Mr. Vimpany's head. Case dismissed-Mr. Vimpany to pay costs. In the course of the hearing the magistrate and Mr. Brewer expressed regret that the state of the law was such that the defendant was not allowed to call witnesses to contradict the statements of complainants in cases of this kind, except to prove malice. On ex parte proof the justice was bound to require sureties.

Charles Vimpany  Arrested served 3 months in 1832 Middlesex
Then at the Old Bailey - CHARLES VIMPANY, Theft > simple larceny, 11th April 1833.
Reference Number: t18330411-81
Offence:
Theft > simple larceny
Verdict:
Guilty
Punishment:
Transportation

752. CHARLES VIMPANY was indicted for stealing, on the 3rd of April , 1 pair of boots, value 5s. , the goods of Eliza Jones .
ELIZA JONES. I am single , and keep a haberdasher's shop in Stockbridge-terrace, Pimlico . On the night of the 3rd of April I missed a pair of woman's boots from my window, which I had seen safe five minutes before.
JAMES NICHOLLS. I live in Webster's cottages, Westminster, and drive a cab. I was at Stockbridge-terrace on the evening of the 3rd of April - I saw the prisoner come out of the prosecutrix's shop, with a pair of ladies boots, which he gave to another boy, and they ran off; I gave notice of it; I am sure the prisoner had them.
Prisoner. He is a thief himself; he told me to go and take the boots - I would not, and he went and took them - because we would not give him any of the money, he said he would tell of me. Witness. I had never seen him before.
STEPHEN SAMUEL SHEPPEY . I lived at Mr. Jones, a pawnbroker. On the 3rd of April these boots were pawned, between six and seven o'clock in the evening, by Elizabeth Cryer , in the name of Perry.
GEORGE SPOTTISWOOD PECK. I am an officer. I took the prisoner in his father's house, on the 4th of April; he told me where the boots were pawned; I took the prosecutrix there, and she identified them.
ELIZABETH CRYER. I live in St. Alban's-mews, and am a flower-maker. I was going out on an errand, and met the prisoner, who asked me to pawn the boots - he said they were his mother's; Taylor and Harris were with him.
JAMES NICHOLLS re-examined. Q. How came you not to stop him? A. I knew he had not got them, for he gave them to another boy in a fustian jacket.
Prisoner. He took them, and gave them to me. Witness. I did not - I was in the middle of the road.(Property produced and sworn to.)

GUILTY *. Aged 24. - Transported for Seven Years .



Alfred Thomas Pillinger

One of the sons of James and Sophia was Alfred Thomas Pillinger, who became a prominent person in the politics of Tasmania.

Alfred Thomas Pillinger was born 1839 in Antill Ponds Oatlands Tas; died 1899.  He married in 1886 in Castra Tas Georgina Eliza Nichols, born 1852 in Clarence Plains Tas, daughter of George Nichols and Harriett Weeding.

Mercury (Hobart, Tas. : 1860 - 1954), Monday 8 May 1899, page 3


DEATH OF  THE HON A.T. PILLINGER,
MINISTER OF LANDS.  
A PUBLIC FUNERAL.
Another of Tasmania's most prominent politicians has passed away in the person of the Hon. Alfred Thomas Pillinger, Minister of Lands, Works, Mines, and Railways. Mr. Pillinger was respected throughout the whole of Tasmania for his sterling qualities, and his association with the Braddon Administration has formed a link which has held together the chain of the present Government. Mr. Pillinger, who had been ailing for some time past, died shortly after 10 so'clock on Satur-day morning.

The subject of this notice was born at Antill Ponds in the year 1839, and was a son of the late James Pillinger, whose father, an early settler, arrived in the colony in 1808. The de-ceased was educated at Horton College, and at private schools in the district in which he lived, and always proved himself to be an apt scholar, taking a special interest in the study of astronomy, upon which he could converse with a knowledge which showed his familiarity with the subject.

The Secretary for Public Works (Mr. H. E. Packer) has supplied us with the following particulars relative to Mr. Pillinger's career:-

After leaving school Mr. Pillinger at once followed farming pursuits with his father, and by untiring energy, application, and hard work he became successful, and his sympathy with the farmers and excel-lent knowledge of agricultural pursuits made him one of the accepted authorities in Tasmania on these subjects. As Minister of Lands and Works Mr. Pillinger has extended a helping hand to all those seeking advice before settling upon Crown lands, and those wishing to settle in the colony. His estates covered an area of about 15,000 acres, and was stocked mainly with Merino sheep and cattle ; and there were few in the district who were not familiar with Mr. Pillinger's principal seat, "Milllirook," where he has lived for so many years.


From a very early age Mr. Pillinger began to take an interest in public affairs, and he first made his entry into public life as a councillor in the Municipality of Oatlands, of which municipality he was Warden from the year 1874 to the year 1876. Mr. Pillinger's parliamentary career Commenced on July 17, 1876, when he was elected as Member for the electoral district of Oatlands, and since that time he has been re-elected for the same constituency no less than eight times.

 Upon Sir Edward Braddon accepting the office of Agent Generalship for Tasmania in April, 1888, Mr. Pillinger was appointed Minister of Lands and Works, and he continued to hold that office until the advent of the Dobson Ministry in the year 1892. In April, 1894, when Sir Edward Braddon was forming the present Administration, Mr. Pillinger was again chosen for the office of Minister of Lands and Works, Mines, and Railways, and continued to hold that position until the time of his death.

Upon entering Parliament Mr. Pillinger's honesty and sterling worth soon made for him a name in the House which brought around him associates such as the late J. D. Balfe, J. M. Dooley, Hon. Alfred Kennerley, Donald Cameron, and others, by whom he was greatly respected, and who looked upon him as a sound, solid thinker and student.

Since Mr. Pillinger occupied the position as a Minister of the Crown he fulfilled the duties of his office with ability and im-partiality, and gained the esteem of both political parties, as well as that of the inhabitants of the whole island. He was looked upon as a man whose honesty could be relied upon, and it is said by those who have been in closest evidence with him from day to day that he has never been known to make use of the advantages of his high office for political purposes.

Mr. Pillinger was married on April 15, 1886, at Castra, by the Rev. E. Champion, to Georgina, eldest daughter of the late George Nicholls, of Blackwood Park, Castra. He leaves a family of young children, three daughters and one son, the eldest being 12 years of age. He was a kind and affectionate husband and father ; and his old friends so remained until the last.

Mr. Pillinger has travelled largely in the colony, and was thoroughly familiar with the requirements of the various districts which came under his notice, and his know-ledge of the working of the many local bodies throughout the island has enabled the Government to solve many difficult problems with regard to the working of the Acts of Parliament controlling local conditions.

Mr. Pillinger was a benevolent man, kind-hearted, and one who extended the hand of good-fellowship to all those with whom he was brought in contact. He was ever ready to assist those in distress, and his thoughtfulness will be greatly missed by a large number of people who from time to time have had to apply to the Government for assistance.

When, the difficulties of finding employment for the aged unemployed arose it was well known that Mr. Pillinger did all in his power to provide the necessary work which would be the means of keeping old couples together, hoping that their days might be ended in company.

The flags throughout the city were halfmasted as soon as it became known that Mr. Pillinger was dead, and the blinds at all the Government departments were lowered. After it had been arranged that the funeral should be a public one the body was conveyed to the Lands Department. On a shroud in front of the desk at which the deceased had laboured in the colony's interest, his body was placed to await removal to the grave.







This article was published in Australian Dictionary of Biography, Volume 5, (MUP), 1974

Alfred Thomas Pillinger (1839-1899), landowner and politician, was born at Antill Ponds, near Oatlands, Van Diemen's Land, son of James Pillinger and his wife Sophia, née Peters. His father was born on Norfolk Island in 1806; the family went to Van Diemen's Land in 1808; he worked for William Kimberley who had taken up much land and ran a large herd of wild cattle in the unsettled areas. By 1830 James was overseer at Salt Pan Plains for Kimberley whose recommendation of Pillinger as 'sober, honest and industrious' won him a free grant of 320 acres (130 ha) near Oatlands. Pillinger then had 400 sheep, 30 cattle, 4 working bullocks and a mare. In 1831 he bought 500 adjoining acres (203 ha) and with help from Thomas Anstey was appointed poundkeeper at Kitty's Rivulet. In 1836 James was appointed division constable at Oatlands. He was married at St David's, Hobart Town, on 7 September.

Alfred was educated at private schools and Horton College in Ross and became enthusiastic for astronomy. He then worked for his father and soon won repute as an expert in farming and husbandry. With headquarters at his father's property, Millbrook, near Tunbridge, he acquired various other holdings totalling 15,000 acres (6075 ha) and stocked them with cattle and merino sheep. Worried by the drain of young Tasmanians to the mainland, he told the select committee on immigration in 1865 that the island had at least a million unsettled acres (405,000 ha) fit for cultivation where newcomers could start with only £50 if they clubbed with neighbours for acquiring bullocks and equipment. To set an example, he continued to lease crown lands and redeem them from their wild state by fencing, building and road-making at his own cost. However, the 1872 Waste Lands Act limited these activities despite his petition to parliament.

Pillinger became a coroner and a territorial magistrate. Attracted by public affairs, he was elected a councillor of the Oatlands Municipality and became its warden in 1874. He resigned in 1876 when elected for Oatlands to the House of Assembly on 17 July. He was minister for land and works under P. O. Fysh from October 1888 to August 1892 and under Sir Edward Braddon from April 1894 to May 1899. He travelled widely in Tasmania and acquired exceptional understanding of parliamentary practices and local government. Although no orator, he won the respect of all parties for his shrewd judgment, sincerity and good temper. He was generous in creating jobs for those out of work and supporting those in distress, especially old people. In his own electorate he advocated conservation at Lake Crescent to provide irrigation for the lowlands and prevent flooding.
Pillinger died in Hobart on 6 May 1899 and was survived by his wife Georgina, née Nichols, whom he had married on 15 April 1886 at Castra near Ulverstone, and by one son and three daughters. His public funeral was the largest until then in Hobart. Flags were flown at half-mast in the city and the crowded service in St David's Cathedral was conducted by an Anglican clergyman. At the graveside in Cornelian Bay cemetery a Wesleyan minister gave an address since Pillinger was reared and died as a Methodist.
Select Bibliography



Cyclopedia of Tasmania, vol 1 (Hob, 1900)
A. McKay (ed), Journals of the Land Commissioners for Van Diemen's Land, 1826-28 (Hob, 1962)
Votes and Proceedings (House of Assembly, Tasmania), 1865 (61), 1878 (70, 94), 1888-89 (124)
Examiner (Launceston), 8 May 1899
Mercury (Hobart), 8 May 1899.



Tasmanian (Launceston, Tas. : 1881 - 1895), Saturday 17 August 1895, page 7
MR GEORGE NICHOLS.

An old resident of the colony, in the person of Mr George Nichols, passed away at Railton on the 9th inst. The late Mr Nichols was born at Clarence Plains in 182t. His father came to the colony as far back as 1804, the grandfather of the deceased being in charge of one on the gangs of convicts in the south of the island, but he afterwards settled at Clarence Plains, where himself and son, the father of Mr George Nichols, took up considerable land. The latter gentleman in early life was engaged in farming pursuits in the south, but about 1870 he selected land at Gould's Country, where he also engaged in farming, but removed from there just prior to the discovery of tin, and went to Oatlands, where he was appointed Superintendent of Police.

While engaged in that capacity he was instrumental in putting a stop to the sheepstealiug which was then rife in the locality, securing many important convictions. Later on he, with his family, migrated to the Castra, residing at Black wood Park, up to some two years back, when he took up his residence at Railton, where he died, in the 73rd year of his age.

When it was possible to 'draw him out' the late Mr Nichols could tell some stirring stories of the hardships and dangers encountered by the early settlers. The deceased leaves a widow and family of ten, seven daughters and three sons, two sons having predeceased him over forty years ago.
Of the sons, one resides at Hobart, another at Castra, and the third, Mr. H. A. Nichols, at Ulverstone. -The eldest daughter (states the N.W. Post) is married to the Hon. A. T. Pillinger (Minister for Lands and-Works), the second to Mr Farrar, of Bothwell, and the third to Mr Goold, of Castra, the remaining four daughters being unmarried.

Like her late husband, the widow was also born in the colony, being a Miss Weeding. Her family were among the oldest settlers in the island, and the subject of this notice and Miss Weeding were married in 1847. It may be mentioned that the youngest brother of Mrs Nichols was the first of Tasmania's sons to make for himself a name outside the place of his birth. This was the late Mr Thomas Weeding, who was educated in England, afterwards going to India, where he was raised to the bench, and died at Bombay about; 1870.


George Nichols sister Caroline married William Belbin's half brother, James Belbin
His daughter Georgina Nichols married Alfred Pillinger who was Mary Ann Shone/Jillett's 2nd cousin





Edward Westlake a Researcher - Was he a Great Grandson of Edward Westlake Convict?









Series 3 - Notebooks: Tasmania 1908-1910
Pitt Rivers Museum, University of Oxford






[1] Researcher Cathy Dunn unravelled the copious errors on the Memorials in St David's Park



















No comments:

Post a Comment