Monday, August 27, 2018

B20 Cook and Mc Grath Family of Ellen Jillett NZ

The Cook Family

Ellen Jane Cook was born in 1853, one of 11 children of Robert Hans Cook and his wife Mary Ann McGrath.
Mary Ann Cook                        (1840-1911) 
Elizabeth Cook                         (1840-) 
Robert Hans Cook                    (1841-1871) 
John Cook                                (1842-1842) 
Susannah Phoebe Cook             (1844-1930) 
Emily Elizabeth Cook               (1845-) 
James Frederick Cook               (1846-1931) 
Joseph Cook                             (1849-1923) 
Sabina Winifreda Cook             (1853-1931) 
Ellen Jane Cook                        (1855-1930) 
George Samuel Cook                (1864-1909) 
John Ernest Cook                     (1868-1942) 
Of interest is the sister of Ellen, was named Sabina Winifreda Cook, she married and had a daughter of who she named Sabina Winifreda Smith.  Ellen had a daughter and also called her Sabina.

Not a great deal had been learnt about Robert Hans Cook, however that was not surprising.
Robert was born Robert Cook Hands, born 24th January 1809 and baptised on March 12th, at Studley in Birmingham, and as the record indicates he was the illegitimate son of Phebe Hands.

His mother, Phebe Hands, was the daughter of Benjamin Hands 1762 - 1826 and Elizabeth (Betty) Cook 1764 - 1790.   Birmingham was their home.
Benjamin Hands was the son of John Hands and his wife Sarah (Eller) born around 1725.  Phoebe was a family name in the Hands lineage.
24th September 1753 marriage St Phillips Birmingham

There is also reference to the Aston Juxta Parish at Birmingham, this is the church, and a description of the area.

Aston St Peter and Paul is an Ancient Parish and several chapelries and parishes were formed from it including at  Castle Bromwich, Warwickshire, Water-Orton, Ward-End in Little Bromwich , Bordesley , Deritend ,  Erdington, Warwickshire, Ashted, Warwickshire, and Duddeston cum Nechells, Warwickshire
One of only 2 churches in the Birmingham area referred to in the Domesday survey, the church is in Witton Lane Aston.

Saint Peter and Saint Paul Aston Juxta Birmingham is an ancient parish of Birmingham in the hundred of Hemlingford, Warwickshire and Worcestershire, on the outskirts of Birmingham that was divided into some 15 or so smaller parishes in the 19th century. Castle Bromwich and Erdington are chapelries of Aston juxta Birmingham. Other places within the parish are: Asted, Bromwich, Deritend, Witton, Washwood, Water Orton, and Little Bromwich.

They were not the only family to live in Birmingham at the same time.  The family of Ann Eades, mother of William Young, brother in law of Robert Jillett, also lived in the same area.
Ann's father was in the Military, before coming to Australia.

Phoebe may have married in 1820, to a Thomas Cooper, as there is a marriage record noted at Aston Juxa for a Phebe Hand.  Robert emigrated to Australia.

Now there are several possibilities, either with a free passage, in chains, or by his own means.  There were some prisoners of the same name, but they did not apply.  However Mr Robert Hand arrived in 1833.  Given the later references to Robert, that arrival would fit his ongoing lifestyle.

Robert Hans Cook died in 1886, and his daughter was Susannah who married George William Forster.

The Hans and Cook were often incorrectly applied, but not something that was uncommon in the pioneering days of Australia. 

His life after arriving in Australia became interesting, and where he lived can be gleaned from the different newspaper accounts of his activities, and having some understanding of the happenings of the time.

Robert married in Sydney in1836, Mary Ann Mc Grath.  Mary Ann was aged 17 and Robert would have been 27.  183/1836 V1836183.     They proceeded to have a family of 11 children.  
His name is now recorded as Robert Hans Cook.

They also used the English naming pattern with the children's names.

Mary Ann their first born was born on 29th February 1840, and baptised at St Phillips Sydney. She married a John H. Mowra.  She died 1911 and is buried at Rookwood Catholic Cemetery.

Robert Hans Cook was born 21st June 1841, in Sydney, and baptised at St Phillips.

In 1866 a Robert Cook was arrested for stealing at Maitland and served two months in the Maitland Jail.  A Robert Cook aged 57  died in 1872, and is buried at  Hiland Crescent Cemetery in Tenabit Maitland, mother Mary Ann and father Robert Cook.  This could not be Robert born in 1841.
John Cook was born in 1842 and died in 1842.
Susannah Phoebe Cook was born 13 May 1844 and baptised    She married George William Foster 1841 - 1904 in 1861. She died in 1930.

Emily Elizabeth Cook was born 6th February 1845 and baptised at the Holy Trinity Church Sydney 23rd February 1845.

James Frederick Cook was born 1846.  He married Kate Augusta Seymour  1849 - 1925.  He died in 1931 and is buried at Woronora Cemetery

Joseph Cook was born 1848 and died 18 July 1923, and is buried at Rookwood Catholic Cemetery.
Sabina Winifreda Cook was born in 1853 and baptised at St James in Cumberland 22nd September 1853. and she married Thomas Smith 1850 - 1929 in 1872. She died in 1931

Ellen Jane Cook was born in 1855 and baptised at St James in Cumberland 2nd December 1855.
John Ernest Cook was born 1867 at Glebe and married Edna Bradley 1876 - 1925, in 1899. He died in 1945 at Bankstown.   He married Edna in the Church of St Paul, Anglican Church.  

Interesting her nominated his father as a farmer, that may have been his belief, however the family were Catholic.
George Samuel Cook was born 1867 and died in 1909 and is buried at Rookwood Catholic Cemetery.
George Samuel Cook, fourth son of the late Robert Hans Cook and Mary Ann Cook died 1909 aged 42.  Born 1867, his death was in the newspaper          

Sect. M1 Row K Plot 1802

Mary Ann Mc Grath was the daughter of James Mc Grath and Susannah Thorne.  She died in 5th January 1914, at the Newington Asylum, and is buried at Rookwood Cemetery Catholic Section in Sydney.
“Parramatta Hospital for the Insane”, Destruction of 'Female Factory' buildings,
Over 1889 and 1890 an impressive new sandstone building was erected on the ground at Parramatta. This building referred to in some reports as Male Ward 4 (or building 106) was on the western side of the original precinct and faced onto the river. Housed here were the dangerous and refractory non-criminal males.
By 1892 the buildings were already over-crowded and in 1903 the additions made to No. 4 Ward were completed at a cost of 2703 pounds along with extensions to the laundry. The removal of the old entrance gates around 1909 saw the central complex of the Asylum opened up and the new visiting and office block which replaced them was completed in 1910. The staff dining room and kitchen were completed in the same year[1]
Her granddaughter Kerrie has taken a photo of the grave, it has no headstone.  Grave number 622

While perhaps Robert arrived as one name, many decided for whatever reason to often "change" their names.  Robert became Robert Hans Cook, and in 1840 he was the licensee of the George and Dragon in Castlereagh Street and Campbell Street Sydney.

 In 1841, Mr Robert Hanscook, of George and Dragon a Pub in Haymarket Sydney was involved in the application for the Manchester Unity Lodge, to be called "The Fountain of Friendship Lodge"
The Manchester Unity Friendly Society was an institution in Australia, for years, and was only disbanded in the past 20 years.  They sold funeral plans, something that was purchased for a few dollars a year.  If you didn't use it, its value increased.  We ourselves hold one of these plans, mind you today's costs would far exceed any expectations of 45 years ago.

The Fountain of Friendship Lodge exists today all over the world, but particularly in New Zealand.
The history can be found at the following link
During December 1841  deputies were appointed to attend the formation of the Sydney District, which took place in the George and Dragon Inn in George Street on 10th March 1842.  An old minute book of the Fountain of Friendship Lodge at  Parramatta records a  resolution: “
 “ that there is no necessity for any delegates to go to Sydney (from Parramatta – 24km) to attend the District meeting as they will be agreeable to any laws put in force”
 At the time of the first “Grand Annual District Meeting” held on 28 December 1842 there were five Lodges represented;   Strangers Refuge, the (Parramatta) Fountain of Friendship. Friendship,  United Brothers, Union and fountain of Refuge.

In 1842 he was registered on the rolls for Phillip Ward, living in George Street Sydney
 In 1843 he was in a concert.
In 1843, he and his wife had family differences, and the story was played out for all to read in the newspapers.

Family Differences. — It sometimes happens that domestic squabbles are brought before tho Police Office for adjustment, and the exposures which are consequently made of connubial secrets, and the rugged course of married life which these cases disclose, are not such as to tempt any bachelor to exchange his state of single blessedness for the yoke of Hymen. On Friday last, a case of this description came before the Police Court, in which Mary Ann Cook was 'the plaintiff, and Robert Hans Cook, a publican, residing; near the Cattle Market, her husband, the defendant. The lady claimed to be allowed a separate maintenance, because, as she alleged, her husband had used her most unmanly, having frequently beat her, and at last turned her out of doors. Mr. Cook, in his defence, imputed certain practices to the plaintiff, better honoured in the 'breach than the observance, .and which, in a married lady, particularly are calculated to engender in the mind of the unfortunate husband, feelings of the most painful kind.

To this accusation the plaintiff replied, that the defendant could bring no proof, upon -which he pointed to a rosy faced gentleman in the crowd, who was gaping with open mouth on the scene, as the person to whom the plaintiff had transferred the allegiance which she exclusively owed to him.  After a great deal of wrangling and mutual recriminations between the parties, their  'Worships closed the disgraceful exhibition by adjudging tho defendant to allow the plaintiff a separate maintenance of 30s. per-week, to continue for six months, at the end of which period, it would be seen how the parties stood affected towards each other. Against this judgment, the defendant stated his intention of appealing to the Quarter Sessions.

By 1845 there had been established St John's (Newtown),   Wandering Minstrel and Rose of Australia.  Wandering Minstrel was a unique lodge formed by a number of actors, often on the road and not available to attend all meetings of a lodge.

The George and Dragon 1841, another was the Steam Engine Pub.
In 1843 the Pub was the Old Fellow Hall in George Street Sydney
The Licence in 1844 at Parramatta
In 1852, he held the freehold on a building in Five Dock.
In 1853 he held the licence for the "Crown Inn" in Elizabeth Street Sydney

In 1844 he was on a jury.
Again in 1847, his annual income was £300 and he was living at Five Dock
His name on the Electoral rolls in 1850/51 was Robert Hanscook
In 1863 he was listed as a Dealer living at 169 Parramatta Street Sydney

There was a death record for a Robert Hanscook in the Liverpool Asylum, who was admitted in 1874.  This same person arrived on the ship "Edward", and died in the Asylum.  This was the very same Robert Hans Cook.  So did he come as a convict? or as an official?

Convict Ship Edward 1829
Embarked: 177 women
Voyage: 115 days
Deaths 3
Surgeon's Journal - yes
Previous vessel:
Mellish arrived 18 April 1829
Next vessel:
Lord Melville arrived 3 May 1829
Captain James Gilbert  
Surgeon Superintendent
William Conborough Watt
Follow the Female Convict Ship Trail
Follow the Irish Convict Ship Trail
Descendant Contributions
Convicts and passengers of the Edward identified in the Hunter Valley
The Edward was built at Bristol in 1806.[5] Prisoners were transported to New South Wales on the Edward in 1829, 1831 and to Van Diemen's Land in 1834.
However there was a Robert Cook as an official in the Musters of Sydney in 1837.
To arrive in 1829 as a prisoner, and then to married 7 years later could have happened, but he would have required a Pardon and Permission to Marry.  To arrive as an official that would not be required. 

To be able to pay for the pub licence, indicates he must have had the capacity.  £30 for a convict would be an enormous amount.
His great granddaughter managed to secure some further details.
"A Robert Cooke that was a member of the 17th Reg that arrived in Sydney 22 Feb 1831 per “Edward”.  !
In an article written about Mary Ann’s brother, Frederick, it stated that soon after arriving in Sydney his father was sent to Bathurst area with the 17th and returned about 1835 to Sydney. 
Kerri purchased the death certificate:
Upon ordering the certificate I realized that I had found him and confirmed the theory of him being in the 17th Regiment.  The certificate states arrived per Edward approx. in 1839 (a bit out), unknown parents, wife or children.  He died in Liverpool Asylum of senile catarrh on 4th July 1875 and buried in Liverpool."
His wife was the beneficiary of his estate.
The Liverpool Asylum where he was admitted and died.
His daughter Susannah was the only one mentioned in memoriams for him.

The McGrath Family

His wife Mary Ann Cook died in 1914, it was mentioned she was 83 years in the colony.
Mary Ann McGrath was the daughter of James McGrath and Susannah Thorne.  They were married at Kensington in London in 1819, and he appeared to be posted to Ireland, where their first child was born.
  It is an Anglican Church
He was serving with the 78th Foot which was posted to Australia in 1830.
The eldest daughter Jane was born in Ireland when he was on service with the 78th Foot.
Last name
Birth year
Armed Forces
78th Foot
General Register Office
Gro Regimental Birth Indices (1761 To 1924)

There were also James McGraths  in the following units
1813  31st and 70th Foot East Surrey and then discharged    He was born in 1794 in St Catherine Parish Dublin
1810 18th Royal Regiment of Foot  born 1793 This one was born at Maryborough Ireland

The family arrived on the Red Rover which sailed in 1830 and arrived in 1831.
For years Susannah McGrath was involved with bail arrangements at the Court. 
Camperdown Cemetery Susan McGrath On the 11th instant, at her late residence,
Pitt-street North, Mrs. Susannah McGrath, (daughter of Mr. F. Thorne, of Fivefields, England), in the 60th year of her age, after a lingering illness, much regretted by all who knew her.

James died in 1866.
He was buried at the Davenport Cemetery, which was later closed.

Her father Frederick Thorne may have been a Marine, or Frederick William Thorne who became a Major in the 60th Foot  in 1819.  Frederick William Thorne died in Essex in 1849,

The Devonshire Street Cemetery (also known incorrectly as the Brickfield Cemetery or Sandhills Cemetery) was located between Eddy Avenue and Elizabeth Street, and between Chalmers and Devonshire Streets, at Brickfield Hill, in Sydney, Australia. It was consecrated in 1820. The Jewish section was used from 1832. By 1860, the cemetery was full, and it was closed in 1867.

In 1820, Governor Macquarie ordered the consecration of the Devonshire Street Cemetery. A brick wall was erected before any interments took place to enclose its 4 acres (1.6 hectares). Within a four-year period the cemetery was expanded by the addition of 7 acres (2.8 hectares) to its south. A road was formed along the southern boundary of the cemetery in the first half of the 1830s and was called Devonshire Street. The Devonshire Street Cemetery, where many of the early settlers were buried, was later moved to build the Sydney railway terminus.

In 1901, the cemetery was resumed to allow for the development of Central railway station, Sydney and representatives of deceased persons buried in the Devonshire Street cemetery were given two months to arrange for exhumation and removal of remains from the cemetery. All reasonable costs were borne by the Government of New South Wales. The remains that were unclaimed were relocated to a purpose-built cemetery named Bunnerong Cemetery. Remains that were claimed were transferred to a number of cemeteries as listed below. Bunnerong Cemetery, south of the city, had a tram line constructed to make the removal of recasketed remains as simple as possible. Bunnerong Cemetery was next to the Botany Cemetery and, in the early 1970s, was absorbed by that cemetery to create the Eastern Suburbs Memorial Park. Central railway station was opened on 4 August 1906.
   Established in 1820 and disestablished in 1867


No comments:

Post a Comment