Thursday, August 16, 2018

FF5 Children of Eliza Jillett and John Bowden

Eliza Bradshaw/Jillett

Elizabeth Bradshaw was the third daughter of Robert and Elizabeth, and she was born on Norfolk Island in 1807.  She was known as Eliza Jillett.

She was baptised in Hobart in 1810 with her sister Rebecca Elizabeth Jillett.
She married at Lemon Springs, on 10th October 1827, John Bowden.

John Bowden was the son of Surgeon Matthew Bowden who arrived at Port Phillip with Governor Collins at the founding of the Port Philip Settlement as a civil Assistant Surgeon.  He had travelled on the “Ocean” and arrived in the Bay on 7th October 1803, four days before the “HMS Calcutta” arrived.

Several references are made of his time at Sorrento in the Knopwood Diaries which appear to be the most consistent record of that Settlement.

As the transfer to Van Diemen’s Land took place Matthew is reported to have arrived at Fredrick Henry Bay on 12 September 1804 and walked to Risdon on the River Derwent and thus became one of the original Hobart settlers.

He was appointed Chief Civil Surgeon in 1811 to the Colony and was involved in both the development of the Settlement and the politics of those early years.  He died on 23rd October 1814 at the age of 35 and Knopwood makes mention of conducting his funeral service.

Three days before the Fleet sailed to settle at Port Phillips a marriage took place on the decks of “HMS Calcutta” between a Marine, Richard Sargeant and a Maria Stanfield, subsequently Maria bore four children to Matthew Bowden and despite Governor Macquarie warning against “molesting” a marine.  It appeared that they lived quite happily on the farm granted to him at Glenorchy.  Seven years after Matthew’s death Maria had another child who also took the name Bowden, although the father is unknown.

The surgeon Matthew served in the Kings Own Lancashire Regiment before begin commissioned to come to Port Phillip. 
Matthew was baptised 13th October 1778 at Houghton-Le-Spring, County of Durham son of John and Elizabeth Bowden – he may well have been a twin with Isabella who was baptised at the same time.

His other brothers and sisters were:

            Ann  Bowden               (July 1784)                   m Thomas Tindale  1816
            John Bowden                (September 1787)          d          1814
            Elizabeth  Bowden        (August 1790)              m  Stephen Owen  1809
            James Bowden              (December 1793)          m  Rebecca
            Mary Bowden               (July 1798)                   m J Oliver 1814

His mother was Elizabeth Bee baptised 1st April 1753 at Houghton-Le-Spring, daughter of John Bee.

Children of Mathew Bowden and Maria Sargeant.

               John                               1805     1862     m          Eliza Jillett m Catherine Crow
       Ann Elizabeth Bowden 1811    1883     m         William Overall                        1817            1881
           William Henry Bowden 1809    1882     m         Janet Anderson d1835  Catherine Clark 1809                                                                                                                 - 1895
           Matthew Sargent Bowden         1806     1829     aged 21 and is described as a butcher,

After Mathew died, Maria had another son in 1821.  Father unknown.
. Thomas Bowden           1821     1862     m  Surah Ann Bradshaw

The Bowden Children and Bradshaw Relationships

His lands were granted at O'Brien's Bridge which later became Glenorchy.  Maria was for years the licensee of several pubs around Hobart.
71 Bowden Street Glenorchy
The subject site first came under private ownership in 1808 when it formed part of a 100 acre
rectangular parcel granted to Dr. Matthew Bowden. The land was adjacent to Humphrey’s Rivulet in an area known as O’Briens Bridge, which was renamed Glenorchy around 1870.

It is clear that by 1836 a mill had been established on the property as Colonial Times printed an
advertisement for an experienced miller to work at Houghton Mills, O’Briens Bridge, made on W. H.
Bowden. In 1839 the Hobart Town Courier (HTC) reported flour from the Houghton Mills, O’Briens
Bridge, was available at market.  In 1840, perhaps only four years after investing in a mill and other
buildings at the O’Briens Bridge property, W. H. Bowden advertised for the auction of the Houghton

Mr Winter, who had worked at the mill for 4 years took over the lease in 1840 assuring his customers that the best flour was ground at the mill.

A Mr Robert Grant may have leased the lands, and he died in 1850

In 1850, the property consisting of 6 acres was still being sold

 This advertisement gives a clear picture of the state of the property and the capital investments made so far: The cottage residence is newly built, of the best materials, elegantly finished, and conveniently arranged... The mill, extensive granary, and store, are fitted up with every convenience; the millstones are first-rate, and the machinery complete in the requisite appendages for dressing, cleaning, &c... The lease, for thirteen years of the new stone mill, with wheel of extraordinary power, machinery complete, and an abundant supply of water throughout the year.

In the Assessment Roll of 1858 lists Thomas Bowden as the occupier and owner of the property
'Houghton Mill,  O'Briens Bridge'. It is described as having 'Steam and water flour mill, house, cottage and tannery.

Thomas Bowden was listed as the tenant of the property in the 1860 Assessment Roll.

William Henry Bowden died in 23 August 1882 aged 73 years and his wife Catherine died 17th April 1895 aged 86.  Their son John Clark Bowden died 7th April 1924 aged 80 and his wife Priscilla Matilda died 17 May 1918 aged 70.  They are all mentioned on the Boroondara Presbyterian Cemetery.  The cemetery is in Kew, and opened in 1858.  The oldest cemetery in Melbourne and is on the Victorian Heritage Register.

His wife Catherine Clark was born in 1809 in Wick in Scotland,  the daughter of William John Clark and Catherine Cormack.  The family arrived in Tasmania.  She married William Bowden in Hobart in 1835.  Catherine died in 1895.        
  1.      ·  William Henry Bowden                     (1836-1860) 
2.      ·  Matthew Bowden                              (1838-1919) 
3.      ·  Catherine Bowden                             (1840-1930) 
4.      ·  Maria Bowden                                   (1842-1939) 
5.      ·  John Clark Bowden                           (1844-1924) 
6.      ·  Anne Elizabeth Bowden                    (1847-1936) 
7.      ·  Christina(Tina) Bowden                    (1850-1928) 
8.      ·  Janet(Jessie) Bowden                        (1852-1951) 
9.      ·  Huie Nicolson Bowden                      (1854-1928) 
10.   ·  Alexander McNaughton Bowden       (1857-1939)
William Henry Bowden, born 22nd August 1809 appears to have married twice, first to a Janet Anderson in 1831 and then as a widower to Catherine Clark on 22nd October 1835.  They moved to Victoria in March 1842 and began a flour mill in Geelong with a farm at Mt. Duneed.  They had 10 children
In 1866, William Henry Bowden was in Victoria, and a farmer at Connewarre, and declared bankrupt.
William died in 1882, of bronchitis at his home at Walpole Street Kew.

Ann Elizabeth Bowden married William James Overall  in 1863 as his second wife.  He had married Mary Ann Sanders.  Ann died in 1883, and her step son John Edward Overell was the executor.

William James Overell was the grandson of another William James Overell (1790-1866) who arrived in Hobart Town in 1821 as a free settler.  At the age of 23 young William decided to pursue his fortune in the warmer climate of Queensland, travelling with some of his brothers and sisters in the Florence Irving and arriving in Brisbane in 1877.  In 1883, after working for another company for a few years he established a business in partnership with Mr. T. White in Fortitude Valley.  A few years later, a branch was opened in Queen Street, managed by William’s brother Joseph.  The great flood of 1893 inundated the Queen Street store to a height of 11 feet and destroyed all of the stock.
 The city store was then sold to Joseph Overell. William bought out his partner and purchased a block of land with frontage on Brunswick and Wickham Streets, although he was never able to buy the block on the corner which was occupied by the Bank of New South Wales.  William Overell, trading as W.J. Overell & Sons, built a fine new shop on the land but in 1904 disaster struck again when the shop and all the stock was destroyed by fire, the complete destruction taking less than an hour.  William Overell was not daunted by this loss and rebuilt the store, even adopting the phoenix as his new trademark to symbolize the business rising from the ashes.  The new shop replaced the earlier gas lighting with electricity generated on the premises, the power also being used to drive two passenger lifts and a goods lift.  Overell’s company also had branches in Charleville and Laidley and the Charleville branch had also been destroyed by fire and rebuilt.  Another branch in Childers was also burned out.

Thomas Bowden married Sarah Ann Bradshaw.
Sarah was the daughter of William Bradshaw and Mary Jane Gunn.  She was Eliza Jillett's niece.
Sarah was born in 1830.  She married Thomas Bowden in January 1850, in Hobart.  Their children were:

Thomas William Bowden          (1851-) 
William Thomas Bowden          (1853-1911)      m  Isabella Elizabeth Turner  1847 d 1907
Frederick James Bowden           (1855-1929)      m  Louisa Emily Shelverton  1858 - 1925
Alfred John Bowden                 (1857-1858) 
Isobella Mary Bowden               (1860-1950)      m  John Thomas Stanley Bradshaw 1858 -                                                                                                                         1886
Alfred Henry Edward Bowden (1862-1932)        m   Mary Dentith 1864
At the time of their marriage, Thomas Bowden was running the Houghton Mills a mixture of flour mill and tannery at O'Brien's Bridge or Glenorchy, which his brother William had established.
In 1834, Mr Thomas Bowden was receiving payment, as Master of Male Orphan Institution.  Clearly not Thomas Bowden, who would have been old enough to be inside.!
By 1861, Thomas Bowden also has become bankrupt, failing to settle and account with James George Babtie, who was to sell his property.  By 1862 Thomas had died.

2.         William Bowden  and his wife Isabella lived at 136 Liverpool Street Hobart.  They were married in         1896 at New Norfolk. They had no children.
Isabella had been married twice and had several children.  Isabella's daughter was assaulted by an employee in 1897, in Liverpool Street.  The court did not appear to recognise children's statements in those times.

3.         Frederick James Bowden married Louisa Emily Shelverton in 1882 in Hobart.
They lived at Campania and he was a blacksmith.  He died in 1929.  Louisa was the daughter of Henry Lamb Shelverton and Elisa Rider.   Her father, a freeholder held the licence of the "Black Snake" at Bridgewater.

      3.1       Louise Jessie Bowden   (1883-1948) m  Ernest Francis Brodribb  1883 - 1951
      3.2       Isabel Mildred Bowden  (1886-)                     m  Reginald Clarence Jago 1899 - 1942
            3.3       Frederick Thomas Bowden(1888-1952) m  Emma Victoria Maud Jones 189 -1974
     3.4       Aubrey Cecil (1890-) 
     3.5       Hedley Roy (1892-) 
            3.6       Herbert Leonard (1893-) 
     3.7       George Henry Stanley (1894-) 

3.1.1     Harold Ernest Brodribb  1907  - 1935

Harold was a lorry driver, and had unfortunately met with several accidents.

Examiner (Launceston, Tas. : 1900 - 1954), Tuesday 19 January 1926, page 4

RUN OVER BY LORRY Little Boy's Death TRAM STOP FATALITY HOBART, Monday. A verdict of accidental death was returned by the coroner (Mr. G. Crosby Gilmore) to-day in connection with an enquiry concerning the death of Maxwell John Daly, aged 10 years, who died on January 11 after being run over by a motor lorry at Moonah. Inspector Bush conducted the enquiry, and Mr. A. E. Richardson appeared on behalf of the relatives of the deceased. The driver of the lorry (Harold Ernest Brodribb) was represented by Mr. E. M. Johnston. Dr. E. Allport said that he had made a post-mortem examination, which disclosed an extensive fracture of the skull and considerable laceration of the brain. The heart and other organs were normal, and death was due to fracture of the skull accompanying the injury to the brain.

Martin Harold Daly, father of deceased, said that he was waiting for a tram about 11 a.m., in company with his wife and three children, at the corner of Amy-street and the main road. They were standing on the road, and when the tram had almost reached the stopping place they stepped back to the path to avoid a motor proceeding towards the city. They then walked on to the road towards the tram. Witness heard his wife cry out, and, turning round, saw his son Max knocked down by a motor lorry coming from the city. The tramcar was at that time stationary, and he had heard no warning from the approaching lorry. William Sweet, the driver of the tramcar, said that he saw several passengers standing on the path. At that part of the road the tramway was close to the other side of the street, and it would be dangerous for a motor to pass a tram on its correct side.

Witness saw a lorry coming from the city on its right-hand side of the road, and as he stopped the tram he heard a woman scream out. Subsequently he found that a little boy had been run over by the lorry. Athol William Bower, tram conductor, said that he saw people waiting for the tram as it was approaching the Amy-street stop. The tram was not quite stationary when the deceased commenced to walk across the road towards the tram. When he was about half-way across he was knocked down by a motor lorry coming in the opposite direction. When the lorry was stopped deceased's head was lying against the back wheel.

To Mr. Richardson—At that part of the road cars usually passed trams on their wrong side because the road was so narrow between the tramline and the other side. It would be danger-ous for cars to pass on the narrow side of the road, as it was dangerous to passengers when they passed on the other side. Henry Evenden and Richard Clancy also gave evidence. Harold Ernest Brodribb, the driver of the lorry, said that he was driving towards Glenorchy, and noticed a tram and another lorry coming in the opposite direction. He went to the right-hand side of the tram, as there was insufficient room on the correct side. As the tram was slowing down, he passed the lorry, and the deceased walked from behind it in front of witness' vehicle. He did not see the deceased before the lorry struck him, and as he was travelling slowly he was able to pull up, within a length. The coroner decided that there had been no palpable neglect on the part of Brodribb, and returned a verdict of accidental death.

In the New Norfolk Police Court yesterday, before the Warden (Mr. Thomas Andrews) and Dr. Geo. F. Read, Ja.P.. Superintendent J. Dwan prosecuting.
Harold Ernest Brodribb, of Moonah pleaded not guilty to a charge of having driven a motor lorry at New Norfolk on September 17, which was not licensed for Zone 5. Defendant was found guilty, and ordered to pay a fine of 10s, with 12s costs. A further conviction, with costs remitted, was recorded against defendant for having driven on the same evening without a tail light

Mercury (Hobart, Tas. : 1860 - 1954), Monday 25 February 1935, page 8
FIGHT FOR A LIFE    Efforts Unavailing Motor Boat Mishap Regatta Aftermath
While gay parties were in progress and side-show proprietors plied their trade on the evening of
Kingston Beach regatta on Saturday, police officers and volunteers worked desperately but unavailingly, in an endeavour to resuscitate Harold Ernest Brodribb, lorry driver, of 210 Main Road, Derwent Park. Brodribb had been thrown in the water when a dinghy towed by the motor boat Meteor swamped near South Arm. A tragic circumstance was that Mrs. Brodribb was aboard the launch when the accident happen-ed, and stood by while efforts were being made to restore animation.

The Meteor, which is owned by Kenneth William Woolley, of 12 Tasma Street, North Hobart, had competed in the power cruisers' race at the regatta in the afternoon, and about 7.30 p.m. left Brown's River for The Spit, at the northern end of South Arm, to camp for the night. In addition to Brodribb and Kenneth Woolley, and their wives, the party on the launch included John Leo Salter, of 156 Campbell Street, and Mrs. Salter, Allan Bowen Stewart, of 39 Burnett Street, and Mrs. Stewart, and Geoffrey Albert Woolley, a brother of Kenneth Woolley. As the launch was nearing the South Arm shore, Brodribb, it was stated, was in the dinghy towing behind. Brodribb was endeavouring to get from the dinghy into the launch. Kenneth Woolley informed the police that he got into the dinghy to help Brodribb to get aboard, and the dinghy swamped, precipitating them into the water.


Although the launch was not travelling very fast. Woolley stated, it was 70 yards from him, and Brodribb before it could be stopped. Stewart and Geoffrey Woolley had also dived in the water to go to Brodribb's assistance, and Salter had to take charge of the controls of the boat. In endeavouring to turn it, he wrenched the steering wheel from the dashboard, and the launch for a time was out of control. Eventually it was manoeuvred back to the vicinity of the men in the water and Brodribb was got aboard. The Marie Jean, owned by William Dove, of Moonah, which was following the Meteor, arrived as the men were getting aboard the Meteor.

Woolley stated that when they were in the water he asked Brodribb if he could swim, and Brodribb said, "Yes." Shortly afterwards, Brodribb's head seemed to fall forward, and Woolley held it up to keep his mouth out of water. Woolley considered that they were in the water about 15 to 20 minutes. When Brodribb was got aboard the launch, he was unconscious. The launch proceeded to Kingston Beach at full speed, and on the way across the Passage, artificial methods of respiration were applied without success, although Woolley stated that Brodribb showed signs of life a few times.

On arrival at the pier at Kingston Beach, about 8.40 p.m., the police were notified of the mishap, and Brodribb was placed on the pier. Sergeant House, Trooper Wright, and Constable Gangell, assisted by a number of volunteers, applied the Schaefer method of artificial respiration, and were joined later by Inspector Dowling, who happened to be in Kingston on holiday leave. Some difficulty was experienced in getting the services of a doctor. Eventually Dr. A. W. Shugg was communicated with by telephone and arrived about 9.30 p.m. He pronounced life extinct, and the body was conveyed to the Hobart Morgue.

Before the Coroner (Mr. G. Crosby Gilmore) at Hobart yesterday, an In-quest was opened on the body of Brodribb. John Leo Salter gave evidence of identification, and the inquest was adjourned until 10.30 a.m. on March 11. A post-mortem examination will be performed by order of the Coroner.

Harold had married Blanche Elizabeth Pell in 1929.  She was in the launch when the accident occurred.
3.2       Isabel Mildred Bowden  (1886-)                     m  Reginald Clarence Jago 1899 - 1942 and
                                                            p          Wilfred Clyde Wilson.  1896 -
Wilfred served in World War I in the 12th Battalion SN 6372 and again in World War II
3.3       Frederick Thomas Bowden(1888-1952) m  Emma Victoria Maud Jones 189 -1974
  Emma was the daughter of Owen Jones and Susan Jane White.
Their children were
3.3.1     Norman Frederick Bowden        1914  - 1982     m        Laurel Joyce Alcock 1906
3.3.2     David Leonard Bowden             1920 - 2009      m         Rona Emily Walker 1925 - 2015
3.3.3     Beryl M Bowden                       1923  - 2002     m         Maxwell Stirling Cleary 1922 -1988
3.3.4     Ida Joyce Bowden                     1925  - 2004     m         Albert Eric Brough 1926 - 2015

Maxwell served in WWII

3.4   Aubrey Cecil (1890- 1993)             married Mary Ellen Prisk.  There is a story which follows regarding the theft of her father's sheep.  Her father was John Prisk and her mother Jessie Love

Mercury (Hobart, Tas. : 1860 - 1954), Saturday 22 June 1946, page 6

Mr John Prisk

The death of Mr John Prisk on Thursday at the age of 84 removed one of New Norfolk's oldest residents. Mr Prisk served 40 years with the Tasmanian Railways as engine driver and upon retirement re-sided at New Norfolk.
He was an enthusiastic gardener and a keen cricket and football supporter. The funeral will take place to-morrow afternoon in New Norfolk cemetery.

They had two children:
            3.4.1     Roy Maxwell Bowden  married Betty Mae Price  Roy served in WWII TX1125
            3.4.2     Neil Bowden married Valda Rose Bruce    Neil served in WWII TX10610
3.5       Hedley Roy Bowden born 1892 died 1915 Served in WWI  SN 176
3.6       Herbert Leonard Bowden 1893 - 1954   Served in WWI SN 246 m Florence Annie Float
3.7       George Henry Stanley Bowden  married Kathleen Bernadette Ryan


5.  Isabella Mary Bowden 1860 - 1950

Their only daughter Isabelle married her cousin, John Thomas Stanley Bradshaw, son of John Bradshaw and Maria Bacon. 

John Thomas Stanley Bradshaw was a train driver who died in a tragic accident in 1886.  After his death she remarried, the son of a musical composer.

Her son Jack Thomas Bradshaw born 1883 died 1904 at Mainwaring Inlet in Tasmania.
He drowned in the Barque Acacia, with the Captain Saunier.

The barque Acacia sailed from Port Esperance for Port Adelaide on 20 June 1904 with a cargo of 113,000 feet of timber, under the command of Captain A.V. Saunier and a crew of eight. The vessel was last seen passing Maatsuyker Island at 9 am the following morning in very poor weather, and failed to arrive at its destination. The small coastal steamer Breone was sent from Hobart on 25 July to investigate the coastline as far north as Port Davey, but nothing of note was found. Rumours that the vessel was seen sheltering at Hunter Island were soon disproved.

Wreckage found near Port Davey early in January 1905 was at first thought to be from Acacia, but soon proved to be from the overdue Brier Holme. This however ultimately did lead to the discovery of the other wreck. On 31 January 1905 Samuel Brown, one of the crew of the fishing boat Ripple, engaged in unofficial beachcombing of salvage from the Brier Holme wreck, came across Acacia’s remains just south of the Mainwaring Inlet. Ripple’s crew entered into partnership with the crew of the fishing boat Gift to recover salvage. It was some six weeks before they informed the official Brier Holme salvage party in the fishing boat Lucy Adelaide of their discovery, and a pigeon message was immediately dispatched to Hobart.

HMS Cadmus was sent from Hobart on 16 March to find the Ripple and from her crew learn the exact whereabouts of the Acacia. A search party on board the warship, however, had little difficulty in locating the wreck, which was spread along about three miles of the beach south of the Mainwaring Inlet. They also found the remains of five skeletons which were returned to Hobart and buried following a large public funeral on 20 March. Although the exact circumstances of the wreck could never be determined, it was presumed that Acacia had been driven inshore by the heavy gales then prevalent. There was no sign of the cargo, which being heavy green wood would have sunk with the hull, although the remains of the latter soon broke up and drifted ashore.

Acacia, ON 57515, was a barque of 225/200 tons, 118.0’ x 24.0’ x 12.0’, built at Hobart by John Ross in 1871, and was registered at Hobart in the names of Robert Rex and Thomas Herbert.[1]

Death of John Thomas Stanley Bradshaw - A Train Driver

Mercury (Hobart, Tas. : 1860 - 1954), Thursday 1 July 1886, page 2

THE Main Line Railway Disaster.  FURTHER PARTICULARS.

The following are additional details to those we published yesterday morning :--

At midnight, while the relief train was being anxiously waited for, and when all had been done that was possible to render the injured comfortable, the condition of the fireman Joseph Rogers, who had been lying on the ground in great agony over an hour, caused an earnest then hurried consultation. He was crying out a good deal, and evidently did not know the extent of his injuries. He was ignorant of the fact that his leg was severed and hanging by a shred. Though stationed near a large fire--so near that his head had to be protected from the heat by a sheet of iron-- he complained bitterly of the cold, and no quantity of rugs or wraps would suffice to quieten the poor fellow. Again and again he cried "Harry, Harry ! who's about? Will no one help a poor chap? I'm so blooming cold."

 From time to time someone would again try to pacify him by re- arranging the rugs and tucking his feet in. It was all to no purpose and in reply to a rather testy exclamation that he must be warm he said " Oh no, no ; I am as cold as three penn'orth of charity, and you know how cold that is."

Several times he enquired after his mate, Jack Bradshaw, whose death he was not aware of, and had to be put off with equivocating answers. The shock had impaired his faculties a good deal, and he did not seem to know why he could not lift his shattered leg over, and turn towards the fire, to which he was already dangerously near. Once or twice he asked when the train was coming, and begged to be put into the van where he would be all right, as he could go to sleep. The result of the consultation that was hurriedly held was that, as he was certainly in a precarious condition, and might collapse, and be unable to make a statement, his deposition should be taken at once.

This course was rendered necessary by the fact that there was every reason for presuming that the accident resulted from the action of those stationed on the engine, one of whom, John Bradshaw, the driver, was already dead. Mr. Grant pointed out the desirableness of the course proposed to Mr. W. Belbin, who readily acquiesced, though he was too lame to stand without assistance. Accompanied by Mr. Alderman Boxall, who also wrote down the statement, Mr. Belbin crossed the track to the opposite bank. There a small and mournful circle gathered around the dying man. The group lit up by the strong glare of the fire with the terrible background of the wrecked train at which three men were at work endeavouring to extricate the dead body, formed a picture of suffering and disaster that famous battle pieces would fail to eclipse.

There on the ground lay the strong man in agony, disguised into an unrecognisable heap by the gay parti-coloured rugs around him, even his head being covered, at his own request, in a crimson jersey. Across the track men, suffering themselves, were taking a ?listless interest in the curious proceedings at this mid-night circle, lighted by watchfires. By tacit arrangement, for nothing was said, the man was questioned in ordinary conversation style to elicit the information from him, with a view of subsequently preparing a dying deposition, should such be necessary.

The statement taken was not sworn to, but it may interest some of our readers, as it is the only reliable evidence of how the accident happened :--

" My name is Joseph Rogers. I was fire man to the driver of No. 8 engine from Corners to Hobart when the accident happened.

The train was coming down the Lower Tea Tree, and approaching the curve I begged Jack Bradshaw, the driver, to turn off the regulator, and reduce the speed, but he was so pig-headed he would do as he liked. I put the brake hard on. The engine came off, I came off the engine, and the carriages collided.
I called the driver's attention to the fast driving before, and told him not to go so fast. He would not listen to me, and, of course, he is master. He was usually a careful driver. This was his first drive with me for four months. I have driven myself at times, and know the road well. He was wrong in driving at that speed, because there was plenty of time--of course there was. We were working to the time-table an hour and 10 minutes late.

There was no reason for making up any time. There was plenty of steam. I have been on this line since first the engines ran on the Main Line. No one in the service knew the road better than he (Bradshaw). Harry Bryce (the guard) cautioned him at Campania while I was by trimming a lamp, He took no notice. Bryce told me to use my brake. The engine and all the appurtenances were in good going order, and the line in good order. The accident, I think, was entirely due to the over driving. I have never had an accident the like of that before. I was in that collision at Flat Top, going five mile an hour, but that was nothing.

Bradshaw had nothing particular to drink. He had one drink at the Corners. He had been asleep for some time during the time he was there. The driver did not show any signs of liquor. He had only one drink--a whisky--so far as I know.

The foregoing is a literal transcript of notes taken by our representative at the time. Subjoined is the official record which will be produced at the inquest to-day. The two are identical in sense though the wording slightly differs.

The following is the deposition of Joseph Rogers, the fireman, who died in the hospital yesterday afternoon from the effects of his injuries :-- " I was fireman on the Main Line Railway with the driver that drove No. 8. In coming down the line approaching the curve Lower Tea Tree, ha was driving round the curve at the rate of 40 miles an hour, and I asked him to turn off the regulator, but, he would not do so. I turned the brake on to reduce the speed. He was so pigheaded and obstinate he would do as he liked. The engine then came off first, and in an instant the carriages collided with the engine and tender, and were wrecked. I called his attention to the speed, and told him to shut off steam. This was my first trip with him (Bradshaw) for four months. I have driven myself at times, and know the road well. The accident was entirely due to overdriving. I heard the guard at Campania caution him not to drive too fast, and told me also to use my brake. The engines and appartenances are all in good order, as is the line also. The driver had only one drink to my knowledge at the Corners, and was perfectly sober. I was perfectly sober myself, and had been sleeping at the Corners after attending to my engine whilst waiting for the passengers. "

The foregoing statement was made before me, at the scene of the accident, believing his death was near. (Signed) WM. BELBIN, J.P."

Our Brighton correspondent telegraphed, yesterday :-I have just visited the wrecked  train, 'and supplement your account with particulars which could not be observed in the darkness. The scenario presents an impressive  illustration of the devastating power of escaping steam.-In the overturning of the engine the apex of the dome evidently struck a rock, was fractured, and at once yielded to the enormous propulsion from within the boiler. The massive chamber, estimated to  weigh some 3cwt., flew 40 paces before striking the earth, took a rebound of over  25 paces, and continuing the  ricochet, came to rest about 100 yards, from the engine; deep scars and a smashed wattle marking its ' course. The effect of steam and scalding  water is traceable over a fan shaped area ex-tending from 60 to 60 yards from point of egress. Posts uprooted or broken off, and rails scattered far and wide. Grass and foliage within the space bear the appearance of having been scorched.

The stems of shrubs are grazed, and twigs cut off by flying' missiles. A stone, some 61b in weight, evidently blown from the embankment by the escaping steam, was picked up at the foot of a tree, which it struck 60 or 70 yards from the engine.

Fragments of glass from the engine windows, a few pieces of metal and splintered wood, with a carriage window strap lie among the wattles, A hat, too, was noticed, which, from its position, probably belonged to either the driver or fireman. Engine looks a battered and twisted - wreck.
Mr. F. A. Packer writes us:-"The report which I have heard in some quarters, is that poor Bradshaw, the driver of Tuesday's ill-fated train, was under the influence of liquor, is perfectly unfounded, I was talking to him at Campania for some minutes while we were waiting for the ordinary to pass. I remarked that he had taken us at " a great batt" on the morning trip. He said "No, Sir, she ran the average-30 miles an hour-all tho way." I said it seemed much more than that, but he denied it., He was oiling parts of the engine, and remarked to poor Rogers, the fireman, "I will back my little pony against any engine on the line.

He was perfectly sober, but seemed proud of the running he had been doing. With regard to the accident, I believe we were nearly over ten minutes before it actually took place, and other passengers will bear me out in that; in fact I felt sure we were going, the carriage I was in tilting half over-towards the right hand side coming towards Hobart. I was talking to Mr. Grant a few seconds be-fore it happened, and noticed that he was very anxiously uneasy, for we were going at a tremendous pace, when tho carriage seemed to canter for a few seconds on the line; then lurched, as if resisting going round a point, rolled over, and came down  with an awful crash.

The scene that followed can only be rightly understood by those who saw it. We were huddled up in a mass on the windows of the carriages, which had become the bottom, and for a moment no one knew where to get out, Mr. Grant, who was as cool as possible, called out, " Put those lights on for part of the woodwork was on fire through the kerosene lamps being upset, We did not know at the  time that the boiler had burst, and I called out, " Don't move ; don't move,"  thinking that we could be blown to atoms, crawling across the engine , which was lying across our carriage, just above where Father Kelsh, Mr. H. R. Nicholls and I had been sitting ; how we escaped being smashed to pieces by the engine falling on us is beyond all conjecture, especially Father Kelsh, who was sitting  right under where it fell, We  then scrambled out through tho broken windows, and helped those too much injured to get out alone.

 Tho scene that followed was something awful, and with the three large fires, lighted from post and railing fences and wounded men lying around them, it looked exactly like pictures we see of a battle field. The first person I met on crawling out was the Hon. J. S. Dodds, bleeding profusely from a long scalp wound right across his head. He said, "Like a good fellow look at my head, and see what it is." I did so, and bound it up as well as I could with a large  white handkerchief I had, and told him to cheer up, though he bore it splendidly considering the fearful shock ho must have had in being burial through a glass door.  He said to me " Leave me, and go and see if you can do anything for Burgess I'm afraid he is badly hurt.", I went over to him, and found him almost unconscious, could not got him to answer me at all, his teeth chattering with pain and tho shock. I tried very hard to got him to drink a little whisky, but could not do so until later on, when he got half conscious and managed to raise his head  in my arms and drink a mouthful. But for that, and keeping him warm by the fires and with rugs, I believe he would have succumbed from the awful shock. I then did all I could for Dr. Agnew, who was very prostrate, though most patient, calm, and quiet.

Mr. Harbottle bore his injuries with the most extraordinary patience ; simply sat and waited to be done anything with, though I think he must have been suffering very much. I tried to help poor Wise, but his chief prayer was to be let alone, and his scalp wound was too serious for anybody but a surgeon to deal with.

 The piteous cries of poor Rogers (the fireman) whose leg was pinned under the engine, were terrible to hear, and his anxious enquiries every now and then as, to when "the doctors" would be there. He had no idea that Bradshaw was killed, for he kept on calling out to "Jack" to answer all kinds of questions. Only those who heard it can know the effect of the relief engine when we heard it coming up with Dr. Crowther and Dr. Parkinson on board.

Everyone did their utmost to help, even those who were injured themselves. Dr. Crowther threw all his well-known energy into the work before him, insisting upon discipline and implicit obedience from the stretcher bearers and other helpers, and Dr. Parkinson going to his work with the most admirable and prompt coolness. With utmost deference to superior judgment I venture to say that, in my humble opinion, taking the sufferers from the station to the hospital in cars was a mistake, for I am sure the poor sufferers were far more comfortably carried by bearers, and with much less jolting. The scene was one never to be forgotten ; indeed, the feeling of the catastrophe comes up to mind every now and then with dreadful reality."

Tho work of clearing the line was rapidly proceeded with after the departure of the special train yesterday morning, under the charge of Mr. C. H. Grant, with the passengers for Hobart.
The permanent way men were under the direction of Mr. W. Cundy, the locomotive superintendent, who though injured in his leg and arm determined to remain behind. On the arrival of the mail train from Launceston, at 5.15, the engine was used to drag off the heavy portions of the ironwork and carriage bodies by chains and ropes, the men having no other appliances, their picks, shovels and crowbars not being able to perform, unaided, this portion of the work. At 5 30 a.m. Mr. Grant arrived with a special from Hobart, to which the passengers and mails were transferred and immediately sent on to their destination. The line was cleared by six o'clock, and Mr. Grant made a personal and careful examination of the permanent way where the accident occurred, Being satisfied with its stability, he ordered the mail train to pass over which it did  in safety.

 No damage was done whatever to the permanent way, and none  of the bolts were broken, or any of the rails bent, Some of the sleepers were displaced by the overturned carriages dragging the ends down. The permanent way was in  perfect order, and fit for traffic by 7 o'clock, and the ordinary service was at once resumed.  A lot of passengers' luggage, including hats, rugs, etc., were picked up, and their owners can obtain them at the station.

The friends of those who have so unfortunately suffered will be pleased to learn that in nearly every case the injuries are not too severe as was at first imagined. A good many conflicting rumours were rife during yesterday, each one, as is the general rule, making the matter worse than it is, but it will be learned with feelings of thankfulness by all that every one of the injured men is likely to, recover.
The following is the latest bulletin :-

The Hon. Dr. Agnew, for whoso condition apprehensions were entertained,  has not been so seriously injured as was first imagined. All he is suffering from is general shock to the system and contusions, no bones being broken. His injuries are not of a serious nature, but it will probably be some days before he is able to attend to his duties' as  Premier. He is under the care Dr. Smart, who at a late hour last night reported a marked improvement in his condition. Mrs. Agnew and several members of the family are at present in Victoria, and their state of mind upon hearing of the disaster can better be imagined than described.

Their apprehensions  however, were speedily allayed by a telegram stating that  Dr. Agnew was not seriously injured.

The Hon. J. S. Dodds, Attorney  General, has sustained injuries of a, painful  nature, bat they will not involve any very  serious consequences. He has had a very extensive cut on the forehead, caused by the  broken glass in one of the wrecked carriages, and has also severe contusions on various parts of the body. He had his in-juries dressed in the hospital as soon as possible after arrival in Hobart, and he was then removed home, where Dr. Perkins is attending upon him. It will probably be several days before he is able to resume duties.

The Hon. W. H. Burgess, Treasurer, is suffering from very painful injuries, severe muscular contusions, and a general shook to the nervous system  otherwise he does not appear to have suffered any material harm. Lost night there was a great improvement in his condition, and it is likely that in a few days, under tho care of Dr. E. L. Crowther, he will be about again.
Mr. F. H. Wise, Master Warden of the Marine Board, his unfortunately fared about the worst of all, as he has several  bones broken, besides scalds, contusion, and general shock to his system. He has sustained a fractured ulna bone, a fractured scapula, or shoulder blade, and three ribs broken, as well as two very extensive cuts upon the head. Dr. E. L. Crowther, who . has been in constant attendance upon him,  states that he is doing as favourably as could possibly be expected considering the extensive nature of his injuries.

The Rev. J. W. Simmons, who is being  attended by Dr. Giblin, is suffering from a severe cut upon his head, extensive contusions, and general shock. He is now in a  fair way to recover, rest and quiet being all  that his case demands.

Alderman Harbottle, who is at present an 'inmate of the hospital, has had two ribs 1 broken, and has sustained very severe contusions, besides the inevitable shock to the  system. His condition bad much improved last evening, and he will be able to return  home very shortly. ,

Alderman Crouch is- reported to be progressing very favourably. His injuries consist of a fractured collar bone, and  contusions and general shock. He is under the  care of Dr. Benjefeld
Mr. H. R. Nicholls, editor of The Mercury, fared the worst of any of the Press representatives on board the ill fated train, the rest getting off with comparatively slight injuries. Mr. Nicholls was pressed to the ground with a lot of wreckage upon him, and has sustained a fractured rib, be-sides general contusions and shock, and several cuts and scratches. He is under tho care of Dr. Smart, and is progressing favourably.

Mr. F. J. Moore (of the Daily Telegraph), has sustained injuries to his leg, which will confine him at home for a few days.
Mr. W. Binns, of Falmouth, who was a passenger by the train, has sustained internal injuries, proved from pressure on the chest. Yesterday morning he was spitting a good deal of blood, but later on he had improved a great deal. He is an inmate of .the hospital.
Mr. J, McDonald, also from Falmouth, is somewhat seriously hurt, but the extent has not yet been ascertained.
Alderman Belbin is confined to his house, with an injury to his leg, which has caused him a good deal of suffering. Though he Is rapidly recovering, it will be some days before he is able to get about again.
Alderman Hiddlestone, who sustained an injury to his shoulder, and several bruises, was well enough yesterday to get about, and does not seem to have received any serious injury.

The unfortunate fireman, Joseph Rogers, succumbed to his injuries at 1.30 p.m. yesterday in the hospital. His case was regarded as hopeless from the first, though every effort was made to save him and alleviate his sufferings, from a compound fracture of the left leg, just above the ankle, a fracture of the skull, a punctured wound on the left thigh, and several severe scalds. The immediate cause of death was the severe crush he received whilst under the tender.

The medical officers of the hospital amputated the injured foot yesterday morning, but all endeavours to save his life were useless. His body, and that of the unfortunate driver, Bradshaw, were yesterday removed from the hospital to the residences of their friends.

The guard, H. Bryce, who was reported yesterday to have been uninjured, is suffering from a severe spinal concussion. Though there is no immediate danger,  his condition is anything but satisfactory. He was amongst the most energetic in 'attending to and helping the wounded at _ the time of the accident, probably unaware of the extent of the injuries ho had himself sustained, It is probable that he will be unable to attend to his duties for sometime Dr. K. J. Crowther is in attendance upon him. -

An inquest touching the death of John Bradshaw will be commenced this morning, at 11 o'clock, in the Carlton Club Hotel, be-fore Mr. Francis Belstead, coroner, and a jury of seven. The Coroner does not consider it necessary to hold a second inquest on the body of Rogers, the fireman, and the one verdict will apply to the two cases.

TELEGRAM FROM' IS EXCELLENCY. His Excellency tho Governor, who remained at Symmons Plains on Tuesday night, on receiving a telegram from Dr. Smart, giving brief particulars of the disaster, telegraphed at once tho following reply : Many thanks for your kind consideration in letting me know how Dr. Agnew is. Convey to him and other survivors by the accident my warm sympathy, und especially to poor Mrs. Bradshaw."

Dr. E. L. Crowther, who went up with the rolled train, speaks in terms of the courtesy and general willingness which was displayed by the railway officials all up the line, in carrying out his instructions. Every requisite that could possibly be procured was placed at his disposal without the slightest demur, and every help rendered with a willingness and alacrity which will be a lasting credit to the men. The trouble taken by the railway, employees to conduce as far as possible to the comfort of the wounded, was very great, and they have reason to know that they have earned the heartfelt thanks of many of the unfortunate sufferers.

John Thomas Stanley Bradshaw was the son of John Bradshaw and Maria Bacon he was born in 1858, and married Isobella Mary Bowden.  He was the grandson of William Bradshaw and Mary Jane Gunne.

Isobella was the daughter of Thomas Bowden and Sarah Ann Bradshaw who was the daughter of William Bradshaw and Mary Jane Gunn.  They were cousins.

At the time of the accident, John had two children.  His son Jack Thomas Stanley Bradshaw was killed in a shipping accident at Mainwaring Inlet in 1904

Alderman William Belbin was John Bradshaw and Isobella Bowden's cousin.

Perhaps they had no idea of the relationship.

In 1887 Isobella married Frank D'Arcy Jaxon, the son of Baron Heindrich D'Arcy-Jaxon, a composer.  He possibly had a musical connection with her brother Alfred Henry Edward Bowden, and his wife Mary Dentith.

Only once more : song / the words by H.L. D'Arcy Jaxone ; the music by Frank L. Moir

Mary Bowden, who died at Scottsdale on Sunday, was for 45 years a successful teacher of music in Launceston and a noted composer.

She was the eldest daughter of the late Mr. Alfred Jackson Dentith, a well known Hobart musician.
For some time she was organist at the Union Chapel (now the Hobart Repertory Theatre). For 14 years she was organist at St. Andrew's Church, Launceston. Up to the time of her death, Mrs. Bowden received royalties for her compositions. Mary was the proud possessor of a letter written personally by the late Dame Nellie Melba, congratulating her on one of her songs, "The Laughing Cavalier." Mary was the first professional accompanist at the Launceston competitions in 1902, and she retained this position for five years. She was also pianist for the Musical Union conducted   by the late Mr. J. H. Fray,   F.N.I.C., a former organist of . St c John's Church, Launceston.  

Of the four children born to Matthew and Maria,

Ann Elizabeth was born in 1811 and never married.
The fifth child of Maria’s was Thomas, born 12th January 1821.  He married Sarah Ann Bradshaw in Hobart 10th October 1851 and they had 5 children.  Thomas was accidently shot 7th September 1862 at Glenorchy.

6.  Alfred Henry Edward Bowden  married Mary Dentith

Alfred was a musician. 
Mercury (Hobart, Tas. : 1860 - 1954), Wednesday 28 March 1928, page 3
MUSIC & MUSICIANS   Mr. Alfred H. Bowden   Violinist and Composer
Mr Alfred H Bowden, L Mus TCL, of Launceston, is well Known to the older generation in Hobart As a child of four he was often brought on to the platform at the Sunday School to sing little hymns, -and from the age of 14 he often sang soprano solos in the choir of the Melville Street Church, Hobart

For 12 year s Mr Bowden was a pupil of Professor Alfred J Dentith, who had studied piano and composition with Sir Michael Costa in England Mr Bowden also had lessons with Dettmar, Heinrich Dierich, George Weston, Alberto Zelman, sen and others in Victoria.  In Melbourne he was a member of the Philharmonic Society the Orchestral Society, the Opera House Orchestra under Sir Hamilton Clarke, and also of Professor W A Lavér's orchestra, when rehearsals were held at the University on Saturday afternoons.  He still treasures a programme of Professor Laver's first organ, piano and violin recital after his return from Germany Mi Bowden was choir master of St Andrews Church, Launceston for 14 years In Hobart he belonged to the Orchestral Union under Herr Schott, and was one of the original members of the old Orpheus Club under Mi W C Eltham.

A few days ago the writer had the pleasure of meeting Mr Bowden in the latter' s rooms, where a huge library of music and musical literature is housed.   One could spend months going over all the fascinating treasures, which must prove of the greatest use, to earnest pupils. Mr. Bowden uses the gramophone as a help in music study, and has a stock of 600 of the best records. A well-thumbed and strongly rebound copy of Haweis's "Musical Life" reminded Mr. Bowden that as a lad he had saved threepence a week to buy tho book, and had read it again and again. "I met the Rev. Haweis 35 years later when he was in Launceston," Mr. Bowden added. ."A valuable violin borrowed from an amateur in Adelaide had been badly crushed, and Mr. Haweis carne to me to borrow one. I lent him a John Lott, which ho used to illustrate his lecture."

In 1920 the board of directors of Trinity College of Music, London, bestowed on Mr. Bowden tho honorary diploma of licentiate of music in recognition of his work as a composer and of his services to music in Northern Tasmania. The diploma bears the personal signatures of Sir Frederick Bridge and the other directors.

For many years Mr. Bowden has contributed musical criticisms and essays to Australian, and at times to English and American, journals and magazines. Some of his ablest and best-known articles have appeared in booklet form, and include "Modern Musical Development." "Classical Music," "Descriptive Music," "The Cultivation of a Musical Taste," "Imagination and Emotional Music," "Melodic Inspiration," "Old Violins and New," "The Violin as a. Solo Instrument»1' and many others. Mr. Bowden's work as a critic has brought him into personal touch with many celebrated musicians who have visited Tasmania. These include Paderewski, Kubelik, Grainger, the Cherniavskys, Melba, and Clara Butt, and Mr. Bowden recalls Interesting anecdotes about each one of them.

Mr. Bowden has been a fruitful composer, and his works run into 25 numbers. His "Ballade in D Minor for Violin and Pianoforte" was played by Professor Bernard Heinze at his concert in Launceston three years ago. His "Transcriptions of Old Folk Songs" are being used in the competitions in Launceston Devonport, and Victoria. "Three Easy Solos for Violoncello" are tuneful and pleasing works which will be most welcome to students of an instrument for which literature is not overwhelmingly plentiful. The "Poeme Lyrique" for cello has been played by Mischel Cherniavsky, Arthur Broadley, and John Gough, jun., and is a 'work that well repays study. Other meritorious works of this Tasmanian composer are a "Morceau de Salon" and a "Canzone" for violin and pianoforte.

Mercury (Hobart, Tas. : 1860 - 1954), Thursday 11 December 1930, page 7

The interest in instrumental music which is taken in the North was demonstrated by the fact that every available seat in the Academy of Music was occupied on Tuesday evening, on the occasion of an invitation recital by pupils of Mrs. and Mr. A. H. Bowden, assisted by Miss Marjorie Allen, of Sydney. Talent of an outstanding nature was revealed In the variety of solo and concerted works rendered, showing that mechanical music has not by any means entirely supplanted the real thing.
Some of the favourite numbers in the programme were Mr. Bowden's own compositions, and the audience accord-ed an ovation to the orchestra of 30, which gave an appealing Interpretation of Mr. Bowden's work. "Valse Bohemlenne," under the conductorship of the composer. Another favourite of Mr. Bowden's composition was "Aria In C Major," played on the violin by Mr. J. Waldron, whose solo playing was meritorious.

He responded to an encore for Brahms's "Hungarian Dance, No. 5," with the intermezzo from "Cayalleria Rusticana," and for his rendition of "Czardas" (Hubay), he was recalled, and gave Bach's "Air on the G String." Mrs. Bowden's composition for the piano, "Ballade In D Minor," was played artistically by Miss M. Allen, to whom the piece was dedicated by the composer, and both Miss Allen and Mrs. Bowden were showered with bouquets at the finish of the piece.

The orchestra, under tho leadership of Mr. Bowden, did some very fine work, including numbers from Bach, Dillbes, Handel, Mendelssohn. Beethoven, Schubert, Corelll, and finally, gave the "Anvil Chorus" from "Il Trovatore" (Verdi), playing in spirited fashion. Some excellent work was done also by a double quartet (violins), the performers being Misses A. Edward B, M. Warburton, 13. Weetman, H. Wilcox, Messrs. .1. Waldron, R. Stewart, K. Johnstone, and P. Pike.
Their rendering of "Sarabande" was excellent. Violin solos in unison were given by Misses Weetman, Warburton, Edwards, Wilcox, and Messrs. Waldron, Stewart, and E." Forward, included among the pieces being "Morceau de Salon." composed by Mr. Bowden.

A number which met with general appreciation was a piano quartet rendering of Liszt's "Rhapsodie No. 2," made famous in Launceston by Backhaus, the performers being Misses M. Allen, M. Jacobs, G. Parsons, and Mr. R. Robert-son, and a recall had to be given. An-other long and difficult presentation was Liszt's "Hungarian Fantasia," played by Miss Allen, accompanied on the second piano by Miss Jacobs. Miss Allison Ed-wards showed much promise in her playing of Krelsler's "Midnight Bells" on the violin. Miss Dulcie Skirving also did well with her piano solo. The accompanists were: Mrs. Bowden, Misses M. Hamilton. M. Jacobs, and Mr. Bowden.
Altogether the recital was one of the most successful given at Launceston, the standard of the performances reflecting much credit on Mr. and Mrs. Bowden and the performers alike. A great profusion of bouquets were presented to the women performers.

Examiner (Launceston, Tas. : 1900 - 1954), Saturday 17 August 1918, page 8

MUSICAL Mrs. Alfred H. BOWDEN, who comes of a well-known and very musical family (the late Professor A.J. Dentith  who studied with Sir Michael Costa, and for some years at the Conservatoire of Music, Hamburg, being her father), lately decided to publish some of her musical works. The "Melody in A Flat," now on the market, is a simple, melodious composition for the piano, in ternary or song form. Part I is gentle, flowing, and attractive, while part II forms an excellent contract (sic) in its bright, rhythmic swing. The whole piece is well balanced, and being technically easy, will prove not only educational, but also a boon to young players on the lookout for a pleasing drawing-room piece. 

Examiner (Launceston, Tas. : 1900 - 1954), Saturday 4 June 1932, page 6

OBITUARY MR. A. H. BOWDEN Mr. Alfred Henry Edward Bowden, a prominent Launceston' musician, teacher, and composer, died at his home, 15 Wellington-street yesterday evening. Mr. Bowden was not well when he conducted an invitation concert last Tuesday week at the Albert Hall. This programme on that occasion included a number of his own compositions. He contracted a chill then, and his death was due to bronchial trouble and heart failure. Mr. Bowden was a son of Mr. Thomas Bowden, of Glenorchy, and a grandson of Dr. Matthew Bowden, R.N., who settled in Hobart after having accompanied one of the early Governors to this state.

Mr. Bowden studied music under Mr. A. J. Dentith, of Hobart, and Herr Dettner, of Melbourne, and married Miss Mary Dentith. In his early youth he was apprenticed to the lithographic trade, and on going to Melbourne was employed in that department on "The Age." He was a member of the Melbourne Philharmonic Society, under the conductorship of Mr. David Lee, at that time Melbourne city organist, and later of Mr. George Peake. Returning to Tasmania Mr. Bowden joined the clerical staff of the Launceston "Daily Telegraph," and occupied that position for 23 years. He then definitely turned his attention to music, and continued to be actively engaged in his profession until his death.

Mr. Bowden was at one time a member of the Hobart Orpheus Club and Launceston orchestras, and was a conductor of a choral society at Longford. For 14 years he was choirmaster of St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church. He contributed a column on musical topics to the "Daily Telegraph" for many years under the nom-de-plume-of "Moderato," and also contributed numerous articles to "The Examiner" and "Weekly Courier." Mr. Bowden made the violin his particular study, but he was also a teacher of pianoforte, and composed selections for the violin, piano, violin cello, and orchestras, some of his compositions being:-Ballade in D Minor, Op. 21; "Arloso," Op. 10; "Morceau do Salon," Op. 22; "Aria" in C Majo:; "Romance," "Nocturne;" "March Caprice;" ".Mazurka," Op. 1.; "Rigaudon." Op. 25; and "Canzons," Op. 24 (for violin and piano); "Phrynette," Op. 22; "Poeme Lyrque," Op. 13; and "Berceuse," Op. 23 (for violoncello); "Festival Prolude" and "Valse Bohenienne" (to, orchestra).

A number of his transcriptions were also published. Mr. Bowden was well known to many prominent musicians, and some of his compositions were played by them, including Professor Bernard Heinz and the prominent English 'cellists, W. E. Whitehouse and Arthur Broadley, and also Mischel Chernlavsky. His study contained a comprehensive library dealing with musical subjects.
He was familiar with all his books, which, it is understood, he has bequeathed to the Hobart Library. Both he and Mrs. Bowden were popular and prominent teachers. Of Mr. Bowden's family two daughters and a son are dead, and he is survived by Mrs. Bowden and two daughters. The funeral, which will take place to-morrow, will be private.

 Oscar Dentith Bowden  1887 -  1895

Launceston Examiner (Tas. : 1842 - 1899), Saturday 23 November 1895, page 6

SAD DROWNING ACCIDENT. -4---Another sad drowning accident occurred last evening, the scene of the fatality being at the Queen's Wharf. Two small boys, one of whom was Master Oscar Dentith Bowden, only son cf Mr A. H. Bowden, the well-known musical director, were fishing off the wharf abreast of the steamer Pateena, and succeeded in catching an eel. In the excitement of hauling up the fish young Bowden fell into the river. Mr George Adlard, one of the firemen on the Pateena, heard the splash and saw the boy floating in the water and immediately raised the alarm.

Not being able to swim be ran on to the wharf to get the long boathook which was usually kept at the end of the shed, but it was not there. Meanwhile the third engineer of the vessel, Mr James Aikman, plunged into the river, but after diving and searching for some time he could not find any trace of the lad. His little cap was floating in the water. Several boat-hooks and dragging appliances were quickly conveyed to the scene of the sad occurrence by a number of willing hands. Mr R. Hardesty, with Constable Dowd, two wharf labourers, and several of the Pateena's crew, at once instituted dragging operations.

Mr Adlard stated last evening that he had no doubt but that he could have saved the boy's life had the boat-hook been in its place at the shed. It was learned upon enquiry that owing to the shed having been pulled down for rebuilding the hook was removed, and through the carelessness of someone it was not placed close to the shed. The cap of Master Bowden was taken charge of by the police, and afterwards identified by Mr Bowden, who stated that his son left home about 4-30 p.m. whilst his mother was engaged with a pupil at a music lesson, and not returning up to dusk enquiries and a search were instituted, which led to the solving of what was a complete mystery for about three hours, as the lad who was with Master Bowden did not know him, and was unable to give any clue to his identification.

Dragging was continued up to midnight without success, when operations were suspended until daylight this morning. The crew of the Pateena lent valuable assistance in the search for the body, and a fresh place will be dragged this morning, when it is to be hoped the body will be recovered. The numerous friends of Mr and Mrs Bowden heard the news last evening with deep regret, and profound sympathy was expressed for them in their sudden bereavement.       Mary Gertrude Bowden  m  Arthur Edgar Pepper.  Arthur was a draper and in 1907 he was onboard the ship yacht Alice which was involved in an accident in the River Tamar.  Mary and Arthur were prominent citizens of Launceston.   His drapery firm in Brisbane Street was bought by a Melbourne company in 1954.  He was president of the Launceston Bank for Savings.

His father James William Pepper was Mayor of Launceston in 1905 - 1907.
They lived at "Haughton" High Street Launceston. 

Shirley   m  James Carter  RAAF.

Arthur Edgar Pepper was born on 13 Aug 1874, the third of ten children born to James William Pepper (1840-1915) and his wife Agnes Reeves (1841-1937). James was the founder of the Launceston drapery firm JW Pepper & Son Pty Ltd established in 1850. Arthur was educated at EA Nathan's Launceston High School. He married Mary Gertrude Bowden on 19 Jun 1913 in Launceston. Their only child Shirley married W James Carter.

 Arthur joined his father's firm as a draper from 1899, becoming managing director in 1913 until Dec 1954 when the firm was taken over by the Melbourne firm Hicks Atkinson.

Arthur was a director of several companies: the Alexander Patent Racket Factory since its inception in 1925; Foot and Playsted Pty Ltd since 1926; the Phoenix Foundry from 1929; the Launceston Bank for Savings from 1944 and Herd and Co. He was also a keen sportsman, being a member of nearly all racing and trotting clubs and a member of the Northern Tasmanian Tennis Association and the Tasmanian Tennis Council. Arthur rowed, played tennis, golf and bowls. He was president of the Northern Club for 14 years, chairman of the Royal Autocar Club and on the board of the Launceston Church Grammar School.

Arthur died on 29 Nov 1955 aged 81 at his residence at 135 High Street. His private funeral was held at the Carr Villa crematorium. His wife Mary died on 6 Jan 1973 aged 84. Green & Marion Sargent Oct 2008 [2]

3.3  Edith Sarah Bowden 1890 - 1919  married David Gibson, in 1917.  They had a son Kenneth John Gibson in 1917.  Kenneth joined Army in WW2 and died in 1943.

David Gibson was the son of Benjamin Gibson and Mary Jane Hanney   Her father had the Wool Pack Inn, and arrived in 1847.

The marriage of Edith Sarah Bowden and David Gibson, brought together the descendants of two people who both arrived in Tasmania at the same time, and whose backgrounds were rather different.

Edith was the great grand-daughter of Matthew Bowden.  Matthew was the Ships Surgeon on the Calcutta at its arrival in 1803, with David Collins.  Her great grandmother was Maria Sargent, mistress of Matthew Bowden.

David Gibson was the great grandson of David Gibson, who also was on the Calcutta when it arrived in 1803.  He married Elizabeth Nicholls who had a child with Capt John Piper, when on Norfolk Island when she was just 14.

This relationship also highlights the modern day methods of researching ancestors, using DNA.  This is a medium that will be used more and more in the future to allow people to find out they were not who they thought they were!!!!

3.5  Beatrice Lyle Bowden 1895 - 1931  married Percy Henry Fry.  1888 - 1966
They lived at Valleyfield Longford, and they had no children.

The Gibson Family

  MRS ELIZABETH GIBSON                                                   Pleasant Banks in 1993
                                                                                      (c) Irene Schaffer
 Elizabeth Gibson must have been a wonderful person, when she died at age of 78 in 1872. The Launceston Examiner bestowed much praise on her. As the wife of David Gibson she was required to meet and entertain many officials during her fifty years at Pleasant Banks.

She was born to a convict mother and father, and subjected to all the demoralizing influence that a child on Norfolk Island would have been, at that time.  Very little has been recorded on how the children survived on Norfolk Island between 1788 and 1814. Elizabeth's looks seem to have been visible from a very early age, as she caught the eye of Capt Piper, Commandant of that establishment while still in her early teens.  She bore him a son in 1808 on Norfolk Island at the age of fourteen.

Elizabeth was born on Norfolk Island 2nd March 1794, the daughter of  Elizabeth Hayward, a  First Fleeter, who had arrived at Port Jackson on the "Lady Penrhyn" in 1788, at the age of thirteen and was later to go to Norfolk Island on the ill fated Sirius.  She had three other children, a son Robert 1795, a daughter Margaret 1796, and George c1802. Elizabeth Hayward lived with Joseph Lowe on Norfolk Island and departed with him on the "Lady Nelson" in 1813 for Port Dalrymple with two children, George and Margaret. (George later used the name Collins). It is not known who was the father of these children as they all went under the mothers name on the Norfolk Island records until 1810. Elizabeth took the name of Nichols, and George was known as Collins, after they arrived in VDL

On the 16th January 1819 at Port Dalrymple the marriage between Elizabeth Nichols and David Gibson took place. Elizabeth and Joseph appear to have lived in Launceston for a short time. He owned a small allotment of 1 acre 1 rood in Wellington Street, Launceston; which he claimed to have been in possession since 1814. He sold this land to David Gibson (his son-in-law) of "Pleasant Banks" for £350 in 1840. He was granted 40 acres at Norfolk Plains in 1817.

Elizabeth was the only women to hold stock on Norfolk Island, 525 sheep, 4 cattle, 15 swine, 40 goats, no doubt supplied to her by Captain John Piper for her future security in VDL, she was granted 50 acres of land in 1817, she arrived at Port Dalrymple on the "Minstrel" in 1813*.

Norfolk Piper lived with his mother and David Gibson at until his death on 10th March 1827, at "Pleasant Banks". The Hobart Town Gazette dated the 24 March 1827, recorded the following.....Died on the 10th instant at "Pleasant Banks" the seat of Mr David Gibson, Mr Norfolk Piper, son of John  Piper Esq.  Sydney,  aged 8 years. Universally beloved & regretted by all that knew him. His burial did not state how he came to his death.

Only a year before his death Norfolk had been granted 500 acres across the creek from Gibson's farm. He attempted to relocate the 500 acres to a location near Campbell Town. This request was refuses in December 1826.

After the death of Norfolk Piper, David Gibson (his stepfather) applied for this 500 acre grant to be granted to him, or Eliza Gibson, his sister,  who succeeds to his property.

Elizabeth lived with David Gibson as his wife until Rev. Youl could make  the journey from Hobart Town  to conduct marriages and baptisms at Port Dalrymple in 1819. They had ten children.

From the date of their first child it would appear that Gibson arrived in Port Dalrymple about 1814. Very little has been recorded about Elizabeth, she was however mistress of "Pleasant Banks" for fifty years, and having survived David by fourteen years her influence on her family must have been very influential, as her large family continued  to prosper, and gain general  approval in  the community.

The Hobart Town Gazette dated 21 December 1816, shows Mr Gibson of Launceston on the list as willing to supplying the Government with 2,150 lbs of meat from January to June 1817.
In 1818 some of the sheep belonging to Robert Campbell of Sydney were stolen from Port Dalrymple while under the management of David Gibson. Some of the stock held belonged jointly to Gibson and Edward Lord of Hobart.

Governor Macquarie visited the Evandale district on his journey to Port Dalrymple from Hobart Town in 1811 and 1821.

Wednesday May 9th 1821......`We passed through Epping Forest (12  miles long).......To Mr Gibson's farm on the South Esk, where we halted for the night, distance of 21 miles;  putting up at  Mr Gibson's house,  which is a most comfortable one indeed; where we  found abundance  of everything  that was good'.

Monday 28  May.1821...... `We reached the South Esk  River a little before  dark, which was too full to be  forded,  we crossed in Mr Gibson's boat  immediately under  his house, where we took up  our quarters for the  night.....Mr Gibson attended the ferry,  with his people to convey us and part of our baggage  across,  and was most  civil and  useful in rendering us every assistance n  his power.  We had a good dinner of beef stakes,(sic) & we went early to bed.......' A few days later Macquarie refers to having crossed the Esk River 3 miles from Gibson’s, where he fixed a place which he called Perth.  Gibson having promised the Governor he would build an Inn there, the Governor named it  Perth, after Gibson's native place in England.

The house that Governor and Mrs Macquarie stayed in has never been described,  its possible that it was a well built timber home for that time. A second house was built at about the  same time at Clarendon (1838/1840)  and was gutted by fire in  1859. American pine boards under the slate  roof ignited Christmas  morning when the kitchen chimney  caught fire.  A great dinner was being cooked at the time, and everything except the Christmas pudding was lost.
The house was insured for a large sum for those days, said to be £3,500, which however did not cover the great loss.  An earlier fire in 1851 had not been so severe.

A description of the house.........No  photos have survived but von Stieglitz gives a very detailed description in  his, "A History  of Evandale". This building was demolished in 1915.  It would appear that this description fits the third house that was rebuilt on the site of the old one.

"Two storeys high, and made of pit-sawn boards, it has defied storms of many winters. The front door, opening into a passage with a staircase, was protected by from the weather by the two front rooms which extended out for three or four feet on each side of it. the top story, which consists  of three rooms  with pointed windows, formed the roof  of the porch. 
Eight rooms in all, with a kitchen, scully and wash-house under a skillion at the back. At each end of the house there was a brick chimney.

The walls being sound the house was rebuilt, it remains as one of the best know homesteads in the district.  In 1929 the property was bought by the Foster family, whose stud Merino sheep were direct descendants of the Saxon merino sheep, their ancestor, John Leake, brought to VDL in 1823.

Regardless of his beginning, David Gibson showed himself as an excellent farmer, and by 1820 he had 680 acres of land, of which 631 was in pasture with 2,674 sheep, 265 cattle, 4 horses; 45 acres in wheat, 2 acres in barley, 200 bushels of grain in hand. He and his wife and his four children were not victualled by the Government; Of his Government servants one was the other not victualled, nor was two his free servants (10 in all) He later purchased 760 acres of land, to this he added many more thousands of acres.  By 1839 he was amongst the largest landholders in the northern part of the Island.

The death of David Gibson occurred on the 15 April 1858, of debility at his home, a gentleman.  Buried at St Andrews Presbyterian Church at Evandale four days later aged 82 (80) His seven sons and three daughters were alive when he died. His widow survived him by 15 years, she died 28 January 1872, and is also buried at St Andrews.


*Undoubtedly there are elements of the story which are incorrect.  Elizabeth was not the only woman to hold stock on Norfolk Island, however she did so due to the relationship with Captain Piper.

Elizabeth Bradshaw was most likely the first "free" woman settler, not related to the Military, who held land in her own right on Norfolk Island.

David Gibson, (1778–1858)     by M. Gibson

This article was published in Australian Dictionary of Biography, Volume 1, (MUP), 1966
David Gibson (1778?-1858), convict and pastoralist, was born at Aberuthven, Perthshire, Scotland, and baptized on 26 April 1778, son of John Gibson and his wife Giles, née Binning. He appears to have received a fair education, but his success as a farmer in Van Diemen's Land suggests that he worked on the land in his youth. In March 1802 at the York Gaol Delivery he was sentenced to transportation for life. He was a convict in the Calcutta in David Collins's expedition to found a settlement at Port Phillip. After absconding there and again after Collins had moved to the Derwent, Gibson appears to have resolved to redeem himself within the framework of the colonial community.

He is said soon to have become an inspector of stock. In 1813 he was pardoned and by 1815 was living at Port Dalrymple, where his house was robbed by bushrangers. He managed sheep for Robert Campbell and owned a flock jointly with Edward Lord, arrangements which testify to his ability. By October 1818 he had moved to the site of his later estate, Pleasant Banks, at Evandale on the South Esk River, then sometimes known as Gibson's River, and became the first settler in that locality. In 1819 he married Elizabeth Nichols. In 1821 Governor Lachlan Macquarie stayed at his house, 'a most comfortable one indeed', on his way to Port Dalrymple and again coming back, and when he fixed on the site for a township on the Esk, fourteen miles from Launceston, he named it Perth, after Gibson's birthplace.

By 1828 Gibson held 7300 acres (2954 ha) of land, of which he had purchased 6500 (2630 ha) , and had 400 (162 ha) under tillage. He had spent £2200 on buildings, and owned 1500 head of cattle and 4000 sheep. He became notable for his success as a pastoralist, a livestock breeder and a horticulturist, but at this time both Lieutenant-Governor (Sir) George Arthur and the land commissioners spoke somewhat slightingly of his character. Slowly he lived down official prejudices and won approval by his success as a farmer, his benevolence and his piety.

 He was one of the founders of the Presbyterian Church at Evandale in the 1840s, and put up the minister at Pleasant Banks until a manse was built. He died at Pleasant Banks on 15 April 1858, leaving seven sons and three daughters, of whom John, the eldest, succeeded to Pleasant Banks.

Select Bibliography
Historical Records of Australia, series 3, vols 1-4
P. L. Brown (ed), Clyde Company Papers, vols 2-3 (Lond, 1952-58)
L. Macquarie, Journals of His Tours in New South Wales and Van Diemen's Land, 1810-1822 (Syd, 1956)
‘Pleasant Banks’, Papers and Proceedings (Tasmanian Historical Research Association), vol 12, no 1, Oct 1964, pp 33-35
manuscript catalogue under D. Gibson (State Library of New South Wales)

Contemporary Results of Genealogical Researching

Sydney lawyer searches Tasmania for DNA proof of his convict heritage  By Emily Bryan  Posted 8 Mar 2015, 2:04pm

A Sydney lawyer who suspects he has convict heritage has travelled to Tasmania to collect DNA samples in order to solve the mystery.
Norm Gibson, 76, has spent decades researching a possible genealogical link to the Scottish convict David Gibson, who was sent to Tasmania in 1804.
"He actually did steal some jewellery, but certain members of the family are convinced that he just shot a cow that happened to be wandering onto some of his boss's property," Mr Gibson said.
"After he was freed, he became a very successful farmer and lived in the Launceston area, and many of his descendants are still here."
In 1818, David Gibson and his wife Elizabeth established a farm called Pleasant Banks in Tasmania's Northern Midlands. I've been reading about the buildings for 50 years and I'm finally seeing them.
Governor Lachlan Macquarie is said to have stayed with the couple and named the nearby township of Perth after Gibson's Scottish birthplace, Perthshire. Norm Gibson believes one of the former convict's seven sons is his great-great-grandfather.
He started researching the relationship 40 years ago with the hope of joining a Sydney-based club for descendants of Australasian pioneers. "To join that club, I had to prove that my ascendants went back to a certain period," he said.
But he could only trace his family history as far back as his great-grandfather, William David Gibson.
"He has always said that he was a descendant of David Gibson and that he came from Tasmania," Mr Gibson said. "But it's been impossible to find a birth certificate of my great-grandfather. It's pretty certain that he was born on the wrong side of the bedsheets - he was illegitimate."

Confirmed descendants cough up DNA samples
Before arriving in Tasmania, Mr Gibson placed a newspaper advertisement asking for confirmed descendants of the convict to contact him.
He has now met several and has collected DNA in the form of saliva samples from two men who might be his fourth cousins.  They were both eager to help out but warned him that other members of the family might not be as welcoming.

"They did say maybe some might have a little bit of reluctance to acknowledge the fact that their relative was originally a convict, and that one of the family might have slipped up," he said.
The saliva samples will be sent away for testing and compared with Mr Gibson's.
Even if the result is positive, it would not offer conclusive proof that the men are related.
"They can say it's very likely, or most likely," he said.  "And that's as best I can hope for."
A new clue was uncovered during a visit to David Gibson's home town of Evandale.

Local historical records include a marriage certificate for Norm Gibson's great-grandfather, William.  It suggests that William's father could be the convict's second son, David Gibson Junior.
"It says his father was David Gibson, and his mother was Ellen Lynn, but we don't know who Ellen Lynn is," Mr Gibson said.   "That is the missing bit that I'm looking for."

Jenny Carter from the Evandale Historical Society said it was not surprising that there were gaps in the records.  "Those sort of files are never ever complete, but we have had researchers who've done quite a bit of work on that file," she said.

"The property Pleasant Banks where David was, that was one of the very early properties in the area, so it's quite significant to the growth of Evandale."

The sprawling farm on the banks of the South Esk River has been owned by several families since the Gibsons.

Pleasant Banks' current owner Lisa Manley met Mr Gibson during his visit.  "We've met several people over the two years that we've been here, from the Nichols, Gibson and Foster families, and it's amazing actually," Ms Manley said.
"It's wonderful to think that they can come back to a magnificent home like this and appreciate the lives that their ancestors led."  Mr Gibson was impressed by the property's stately brick and bluestone homestead, built by convicts in 1838.
"I've been reading about this area for 50 years, I've been reading about the buildings for 50 years and I'm finally seeing them," he said.  "I have been led to believe that the original homestead was burnt down, and someone told me this was the party house. Some place for a party, isn't it?"
It could take several weeks for the DNA results to bring Mr Gibson some closure, or to open up a whole new avenue for his research.


NATIONALLY acclaimed pianist Ben Austin will return home to play on an 1897 Collard and Collard boudoir grand piano.
The walnut piano made in England has been restored by the Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery and will be unveiled with a performance by Austin at the museum.
Austin, 21, is originally from Legana and is studying a Bachelor of Music in advanced performance at Griffith University in Queensland.
Last year he was runner-up and awarded people's choice award in the Lev Vlassenko Piano Competition.
The QVMAG concert will help raise funds for Austin to finish his final year of university.
Austin said he had been playing piano since he was seven and practiced for a minimum of four hours a day, sometimes up to seven hours a day.
He hopes to get into professional musical theatre and potentially move to Melbourne next year when he finishes his degree. He also has dreams of a concert career.
Austin said he was grateful for the support.
''It's wonderful people from home are so willing to take time in their busy lives to do something for someone else,'' he said.
Rosevears independent MLC Kerry Finch, part of a group behind the concert, said Austin was destined for fantastic things and encouraged people to attend.
''They will be able to say they saw Ben Austin pay piano when he was 21-years-old before be became world famous,'' he said.
The April 20 concert starts at 8pm at QVMAG's Royal Park art gallery space. Tickets are $45, including wine and canapes, from Barratts Music, Launceston.
-The piano was brought to Tasmania on the Eden Holme and used in the music studio of Mrs Alfred Bowden.
-Alfred and Mary Bowden were performers, music teachers and professionally recognised composers in Launceston.
-The piano was restored to working order with funds supplied by the donor Shirley Carter and a small amount contributed by QVMAG in 2007.
-Mrs Mary Bowden is being nominated for the Tasmanian Honour Roll of women for her 45 years as a music teacher and as a composer.

No comments:

Post a Comment