Monday, August 27, 2018

B3 Descendants and Branches Samuel Thomas Young Family

Many Different Branches and Intermarriages

Of Early Pioneers

of the Samuel Thomas Young Family

Dennes Point is the most northerly township and area on Bruny Island and is the third biggest, with a population of just over 200.  There is a very good beach, with BBQ area and interpretive boards about the area.   

 The area is named after a family called Denne, who were early settlers and farmers in the 1830’s.  The early name for the point was Kelly’s Point, named after the famous James Kelly, explorer, harbour pilot and whaler.  The board below is situated on the waterfront for more information.  The change of name came about because on of the Denne family started a ferry service between Bruny and Tinderbox on the Hobart side.
Dennes Point seems like the natural place to put a ferry crossing, as it is the closest place to the mainland, but because it can be ‘exposed’ in certain weather conditions,  it is not suitable.  The First vehicle ferry was a converted steamer, the ‘Melba’ and, against local advice from mariners who knew the Channel conditions, the Government began building terminals at Dennes Point and Tinderbox. As predicted, a storm washed everything away when the wharves were half built. they then decided on Kettering and Barnes bay because they are sheltered ports.
The township still has a good Jetty and it is well used.

Children of Lionel Young
Lionel Young's daughter with Mary Pybus was Mary Susannah Young.  She married Herbert Edwin Yoeland

The Yoeland Family

William Heady Yeoland.
William Heady Yoeland, and his wife lived in the home TAURANGA at Middleton. This was on 20 odd acres on the Huon side of the property Stonehouse. Tauranga was built during the late 1880s. His occupation was an orchardist. He spent a lot of time sailing the Channel area and Port Davey with Bill Lindsay and Harry Denne. The Yeoland brothers purchased the "CRUISER" a 23ft overall from Bill Lindsay. It capsized shortly afterwards off the Shepherds in the Channel with the 3 brothers aboard, drowning Charles in a very heavy squall.

Later the 2 remaining brothers owned the "Austral" a 28 footer. She won a first, (1887), two seconds and a third at the Hobart Regatta, in addition to many victories at Huon and Channel regattas.

The Yoeland family were fruitgrowers.

He was born on 31 December 1849 at Van Diemen's Land, Australia. He married Fanny Sheldon Denne, daughter of John Thomas Denne and Mary Anne Bethune Hopwood, on 21 June 1876 at Long Bay, Tasmania, Australia.  He died in 1933 aged 83.

Fanny was born 1850 and died 1928
  • Cecil D'arcy Yeoland+ b. 18 Mar 1877, d. 27 Oct 1924
  • Mervyn Harrisson Yeoland+ b. 27 Jul 1879
  • Herbert Edwin Yeoland+ b. 6 Jul 1885

The Denne Family

Fanny was the daughter of John Thomas Denne, and his wife Mary Anne Bethune Hopwood.
John Thomas Denne was Farmer. He lived at 'Woodlands', Kelly’s Point, Bruny Island, Tasmania, Australia. He was born on 5 July 1826 at Van Diemen's Land, Australia. He was the son of Anthony Smith Denne and Mary Sheldon Collicott. John Thomas Denne was born on 2 July 1827 at Van Diemen's Land, Australia. He was baptized on 15 January 1840.
He married Mary Anne Bethune Hopwood on 9 September 1844 at St. Clement's Anglican Church, Kingston, Tasmania, Australia. John Thomas Denne Ran Post Office at Woodlands at Kelly’s Point on Bruny Island between 1854 and 1900 at Bruny Island, Tasmania, Australia. He was buried circa 4 May 1906 at St. Clement's Anglican Church Cemetery, Kingston, Tasmania, Australia. He died on 4 May 1906 at 'Woodlands', Kelly’s Point, Bruny Island, Tasmania, Australia, at age 79
He married Mary Anne Bethune Hopwood on 9 September 1844 at St. Clement's Anglican Church, Kingston, Tasmania, Australia
  • Louisa Jane Denne+ b. 27 Oct 1845, d. 17 Jun 1932
  • Henry Thomas Denne+ b. 14 Aug 1846, d. 26 Oct 1926
  • Fanny Sheldon Denne+ b. 2 Nov 1850, d. 15 Jun 1928
  • Alice Maude Denne+ b. 7 Apr 1853, d. 4 Apr 1924
  • D'arcy Collicott Denne+ b. 10 Feb 1855, d. 7 Mar 1947
  • (?) Denne b. 13 Dec 1856
  • Mercy Murray Denne b. 11 Feb 1860, d. 23 Feb 1927
  • Arthur Hurburg Denne+ b. 28 Aug 1864, d. 27 Sep 1950
  • Sydney Victor Denne b. 1867
John Thomas Denne was the son of Anthony Smith Denne.
Anthony Smith Denne was born on 2 August 1791 at Chilham, Kent, England, Thought to have been at Cumberland House, Chilham. He was baptized on 8 September 1791 at Chilham, Kent, England. He was the son of Edward Denne. Anthony Smith Denne emigrated in 1820 from on the ship 'Midus'; from England to Tasmania. He married Mary Sheldon Collicott, daughter of Convict Thomas Collicott and Charlotte Ross, on 16 September 1823 at St. John's Anglican Church, St John Street, Van Diemen's Land, Australia.
Anthony Smith Denne was a Grazier and later merchant between 1831 and 1840 at Van Diemen's Land, Australia. He lived between 1831 and 1840 at Cherry Tree Opening, Sorell, Tasmania, Australia. He appeared on the census of 1842living at 91 Bathurst Street, Hobart, Van Diemen's Land, Australia, a rented property (“a stone residence inhabited by eight people, all free” - two adults between 45 and 60 and six children over the age of 6, all C of E). He died on 14 January 1873 at 'Woodlands', Kelly’s Point, Bruny Island, Tasmania, Australia, at age 81. He was buried circa 16 January 1873 at St. Clement's Anglican Church Cemetery, Kingston, Tasmania, Australia.


Mary Sheldon Collicott b. 12 Sep 1796, d. 5 Dec 1885
He married Mary Sheldon Collicott, daughter of Convict Thomas Collicott and Charlotte Ross, on 16 September 1823 at St. John's Anglican Church, St John Street, Van Diemen's Land, Australia
·                  Charlotte Louisa Denne b. 10 Dec 1823, d. 24 Apr 1844
·                  John Thomas Denne+ b. 5 Jul 1826, d. 4 May 1906
·                  Mary Jane Denne b. 6 Sep 1832, d. 6 Nov 1843
·                  Edward Collicot Denne b. 15 Jan 1840, d. 27 Jan 1915

Mary Anne Bethune Hopwood was born on 1 November 1825. She married John Thomas Denne, son of Anthony Smith Denne and Mary Sheldon Collicott, on 9 September 1844 at St. Clement's Anglican Church, Kingston, Tasmania, Australia. Mary Anne Bethune Hopwood was buried circa 14 April 1869.
She died on 14 April 1869 at Denne's Point, Bruny Island, Tasmania, Australia, at age 43 Mary drowned in a sailing accident on 14 April 1869 off Denne's Point jetty at Bruny Island.

Historic Dennes Point or Kelly's Point as it was originally known, was the gateway to North Bruny from before the turn of the century, until the event of the vehicular ferry in 1954, and first settled by captain James Kelly in the 1800's. Kelly gained fame for circumnavigating Tasmania in a whaling-boat, he was also known as being the father and founder of whaling in Tasmania. A 25 minute drive from Roberts Point where the ferry arrives, Dennes Point is a great boating and fishing spot, a safe swimming-beach and picnic-area, it boasts spectacular views of the channel and Derwent estuary. Fishing is available from the jetty. Close by, Bull Bay was a major whaling station in the 1820's.
Edward Denne b. 6 Apr 1748, d. c 9 Sep 1806     
Arthur Hurburg Denne
M, #9233, b. 28 August 1864, d. 27 September 1950
John Thomas Denne b. 5 Jul 1826, d. 4 May 1906
Mary Anne Bethune Hopwood b. 1 Nov 1825, d. 14 Apr 1869
     Arthur Hurburg Denne  
Captain Arthur Hurburgh, born 28 August 1864; a keen musician (piano and violin) and sailor, at age 18 he captained the steamer “Minx” trading between Bruny and Port Esperance; he married Ellison Hastie on 20 June1883 at Chalmers Manse, Hobart; they had six children (one of whom, John Alured Denne [born on 4 June 1888] married Veda Daphne Ford.
He was born on 28 August 1864 at Tasmania, Australia. He was the son of John Thomas Denne and Mary Anne Bethune Hopwood. Arthur Hurburg Denne was Sailor and Musician circa 1882. He married Ellison Hastie on 20 June 1883 at Chalmers Church, Frederick Street, Launceston, Tasmania, Australia. Arthur Hurburg Denne died on 27 September 1950 at Tasmania, Australia, at age 86.


Ellison Hastie b. 12 Jun 1863, d. 28 Aug 1943
·                  Laurie Ellison Denne b. 1884
·                  Audley Arthur Denne b. 1886
·                  John Almed Denne+ b. 4 Jun 1888
·                  Doris Clare Denne b. 1890
·                  Mercie Denne b. 1894
Hobart "Mercury" 24 Oct, 1950 :-

"BRUNY ISLAND PIONEER DIES. The recent death of Arthur H.Denne at Hobart removed the last member of the original family of Denne, who owned Dennes Point on Bruny Island. Mr A.H. Denne was a keen worker for Bruny Island.

After working on the West Coast at the Mt Lyell and Magnet mines, he returned to the island, where he lived in retirement for the past 14 years. At the age of 18 Mr Denne was captain of the river steamer "Minx", which traded between Bruny Island and Esperance. Later with a brother, he sailed the yacht "Volant". He was also a keen musician. Mr Denne who was in his 87th year is survived by a family of three sons and three daughters."

Arthur  farmed "Lyndenne", at  Barnes Bay beside the jetty, facing the bay. His orchard was of six acres and consisted of apples, pears and apricots.

Daughter of Samuel Young and Florence Pybus
Florence Young married Harry Bowling  
Their Daughter Constance Bowling married Ian Maxwell Bennito

He was the son of Harold John Bennetto and Ruby Matilda Hay

Ruby Matilda Hay was the daughter of Charles Hay and Elizabeth Ann Archer
Charles Hay was the son of John Hay and Ann Matilda Meredith

Her parents were Robert Meredith and Caroline Vantileur.

Robert Meredith, subsequently, formed a de facto relationship with Caroline Vantileur (born c 1806), a former convict of French origin who had arrived on the "Henry", in February 1825. It is not clear exactly when the pair first came to the Huon, but they were certainly living there when their daughter Anne Matilda (born 27 December 1834) was baptised in October 1835. (note 335, page 197; the record of Anne Matilda's baptism, No 6211, lists her mothers name as Catherine but details recorded by Eleanor Franklin make it seem almost certain that this was a garbled reference to Caroline).
Robert was described as a labourer at that time, and was almost certainly working for someone else. His employer may have been either William Nichols or William Sherwood. Nichols was said to have had at least two men working for him at Port Cygnet in December 1833, and if Meredith was one of them, then it is possible that his daughter, rather than William Sherwood's son was the first European child born in the Huon.

Meredith seems to have begun working for himself sometime during the next year or two, paying for a licence to cut timber on Crown Land in May 1837. Although the location of his licence is not stated, it seems likely that it was in the Port Cygnet area where is was definitely living and working in 1838. Robert Meredith was one of a growing group of sawyers and splitters who had begun to put down roots in the Huon by this time. Such men had, of course. been active in the district for several years, but it is not clear when they became settlers rather than visitors.

A number of men were certainly drawn to the Huon, when what was only the third powered sawmill (water-driven) to be built in Van Deimen's Land was erected on the Kermadie River in 1834-5 by John Armitstead, a Hobart timber merchant. The Mill site seems to have been occupied more or less constantly over the next decade...

Robert Meredith and Caroline Vantileur certainly had at least one child, and possibly two prior to their marriage on 18 August 1843, and the lives of the founders of some other well-known families followed a similar pattern;...

There were probably several reasons why couples... were slow to tie the knot. Many of the timber workers were either convicts or former convicts...Some of them, including Sarah Linton,& Caroline Vantileur and Mary Bleeze, had left a spouse behind when they were transported, and the uncertain status of their former relationships may have influenced their behaviour. No clergyman was based in the Huon until Rev. John Andrewatha came in 1846 and prior to his arrival an official wedding had to wait until either a cleric visited the district or the couple made a trip to Hobart.

..Robert Meredith...had been cutting timber at nearby One Tree Point in the period from December 1840 to May 1841. One Tree Point is on the Eastern bank of the Huon River between Wattle Grove and Petcheys Bay.

Ann Matilda Meredith (1834-1880)
Married 1849 
  1. Children

  1. John (#3) (1854-1940) 
  2. Mary (1856-1866) 
  3. Robert (1858-1929) 
  4. Annie (1860-1883) 
  5. Charles (1862-1935) 
  6. Margaret (1865-1866) 
  7. William (1866-1916) 
  8. Mary Margaret (1869-1897) 
  9. Nathaniel (1872-1948) 
  10. James (1873-1875) 
  11. Hubert 'Herbert' (1876-1960) 
Sarah Ann McDougall (1856-1933)
Married 1881 
Jessie (1882-1884)
James McDougall (1884-1959)
Leslie Seaton (1885-1953)
Horace Coulter (1887-1928)
Henry George (1887-1950)
Hilda Sarah (1889-1893)
Ralph Emerson (1890-1893)
Maud Mabel (1892-1893)
Gladys May (1893-1967)
Emerson (1895-1968) 

Mercury (Hobart, Tas. : 1860 - 1954), Monday 23 December 1935, page 5


With the death of Mr. Charles Hay, of 66 Burnett Street, Hobart, another link in the chain of pioneer families of the Huon was broken. The interment took place at Cornelian Bay Cemetery yesterday. The service was read by the Rev. H. G. Hackworthy, of the Baptist Church, Hobart.
The chief mourners were John Hay No. 3, Nathaniel and Henry Hay (brothers), Geoffrey and Kenneth Woolley, Jack Bennetto, and Ewart Jones (grandsons), H. Bennetto, D. Driscoll and F. Shaw (sons-in-law).
Mr. Hackworthy said that deceased came of one of Tasmania's pioneer families and was the third son of the late John Hay No. 2, of Arbroath, Franklin. As a young man the deceased was one of the first to erect saw mills in Southern Tasmania, and his was the first mill built at the Great Lake. For some years he was manager of the Mount Lyell Co.'s timber mills on the West Coast. Later he went to Queensland, where he built several mills in the Mareeba district. He also erected mills in the South Island of New Zealand. In his younger days, Mr. Hay was a keen athlete and played cricket with the old Huon teams.
His only son, Flight-Lieutenant Charles Hay, of the Royal Australian Air Force, was lost off the coast of Scotland while on patrol duty in 1918.
Mr. Hay married Elizabeth, third daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Charles Archer, of Middleton. He is survived by his wife and three daughters, Mrs. H. Bennetto, Mrs. D. Driscoll, and Mrs. F. Shaw. There are 16 grand-children and two great-grandchildren. A daughter, Mrs. Edith Jones, died some years ago.
The funeral arrangements were carried out by Messrs. Hooper and Burgess.

King Island Settlers' Association as a mark of their appreciation of his past labors as secretary. In the unavoidable absence of the president, Mr James Bowling (vice president) took the chair, and ably referred to Mr Stephenson's untiring energy and work in the cause

In the 1880s the land was opened for grazing. A township developed at Currie and the post office opened on 1 June 1892 (known as King's Island until 1903, King Island until 1917, thereafter Currie). Currie, on the west coast, now has the only post office on the island, but in the past Grassy, in the southeast (1918–35, 1943–91), Naracoopa on the east coast (1920–62), Pearshape to the south (1946–59) and Egg Lagoon in the north (1925–67) replacing Yambacoona (1922–25) all had official post offices. The other localities of King Island are Bungaree, Loorana, Lymwood, Nugara, Pegarah, Reekara, Sea Elephant, Surprise Bay, Wickham and Yarra Creek

Family Relationships Young/Morrisby/Calvert

Lionel Lawrence Young married Hannah Isabel Calvert in 1902.  She was the daughter of William Thomas Calvert 1840 - 1905 and Catherine Morrisby  1838 - 1911
They had 3 sons

1.      Keith Lawrence Young
2.      Trevor Morrisby Young      Chairman of the Egg Marketing Board         Church Warden
3.      Maxwell Walter Young             WWII
4.      Nina Young                              WWII

This then introduces a complicated family relationship.
Catherine Morrisby
       was the daughter of Henry Morrisby 1803 - 1856 and Christine Smith 1810 - 1885
Henry Morrisby
       was the son of James Morrisby 1756 - 1839 and Ann Brooks 1765 -1813
Christine Smith
       was the daughter of Grace Morrisby 1797 - 1827 and George Smith  1778 - 1855.
             George was in the Royal Marines
       and Grace was the daughter of James Morrisby 1756 - 1839 and Ann Brooks 1765 - 1813
       and she was the first cousin of Henry Morrisby
Henry Morrisby and Grace Morrisby were siblings

Christine Smith
       was also the sister of William Henry Smith  1814 - 1893 who married Charlotte Daisy Jillett.
After her death William Henry Smith married Ann Belbin 1819 - 1868

Ann Belbin
       was the sister of William Belbin 1825 - 1892 who married Rebecca Dowdell 1823 - 1888
Rebecca Dowdell was the daughter of Charles Dowdell 1796 - 1832 and Susannah Bradshaw 1805 - 1882

Catherine Morrisby's half sister was Elizabeth Morrisby 1830 - 1909.  Her mother was Elizabeth Mack who had been an orphan and adopted by Rev Knopwood.  Father unknown but on the 1803 expedition.  Elizabeth died in 1830 after giving birth.
Elizabeth Morrisby married one of the richest men in Tasmania Daniel Stanfield 1829 - 1902

Rosetta Belbin the daughter of William Belbin and Rebecca Dowdell married Tasman Morrisby 1845 -1932
Tasman Morrisby was the nephew of Henry Morrisby and Grace Morrisby

James Young from Aberdeen in Scotland born 1807, his son William married William Belbin's niece, Eliza and he married William Belbin's niece Elizabeth, who was the sister of Eliza!  They were the daughters of James Belbin.

Two of the Belbin/Nichols daughters married into another Young family at Rokeby, while two sons wed Joseph sisters who were grand- daughters of Samuel and Elizabeth Free from Norfolk Island.

James Belbin (Sen) and Samuel Free both reached Norfolk island on Salamander in 1791, and then came to the Derwent as free settlers in 1808.

Quite complicated family associations!

James Belbin brother of William Belbin  and links to another Young Family

In 1880, James Belbin (Jun) was living on his farm at Cambridge, where James Calder visited him while collecting information on Belbin (sen) for the article the journalist would write in the Mercury of April 1880.

 Some of the incorrect information about Belbin (sen) enshrined in the Australian Dictionary of Biography (ADB) may well have been provided by his son James (Jun), as the Calder article appears to have been used as a primary document for the ADB.

The Mercury of Saturday 12 July 1884 carried news of James Belbin's (Jun) death on 10 July.

Belbin - At his residence, Cambridge, in the 82nd year of his age, James Belbin. The funeral will leave the "Horse & Jockey", Rokeby, at 2 p.m. on Sunday, July 12.

Friends are respectfully invited to attend.

The Personal column of the paper on the same day had the following:

Death of a Well known Colonist - Mr James Belbin who arrived in Tasmania with his parents in the beginning of the present century, expired at his residence, Cambridge, yesterday, after a residence in the colony of over 70 years, in the 82nd year of his age. The family name has been associated with Tasmania from its earliest days, the father being the first Inspector of Stock in Tasmania, and his youngest son, the present Mayor of Hobart.

In early life the deceased was actively engaged in business pursuits in this city; but, preferring rural independence, he settled in the district of Cambridge over a quarter of a century ago, where, until shortly before his death, he was actively engaged in agricultural and pastoral pursuits.

He was the father of a large family, and highly esteemed by all who knew him, and few were better acquainted with the history of Tasmania than the late James Belbin, to whom the late Mr Calder was in no slight degree indebted for the valuable information contained in the Historical Records of Tasmania, which appeared in the columns of the Mercury (until his death) two years ago. Mr James Belbin adds one more to the many octogenarians who have died in the last month.

The following comments apply to the family of James (Jun) :

Daughter Eliza Jane (22) married William Young (25), the son of James Young of Rokeby, 30 August 1855, at St. George's Church, Battery Point. At that time James Belbin (Jun) was listed as a "Contractor of Liverpool St.".

Eliza Jane lived her married life at Droughty Point, and the Claremont property at Rokeby. where she died, 19 October 1917, a mere 10 days after her husband's death. Since they are considered in some detail elsewhere, her eleven children are only briefly noted here:

James Belbin (Jun)'s eldest daughter, Elizabeth, married late in life on 17 October 1878, when at age 49 she became the second wife of James Young, the father-in-law of her sister Eliza Jane. She died in 1880 from burns after falling into an open fire at the Young homestead at Droughty Point.

At some stage George Herbert moved to New Zealand at Riverton on the far south coast of the South Island. By 1870 he was listed on the Riverton electoral roll, with the status of settler, having two blocks of land at Riverton and another at Jacob's River Hundred. In 1870 he married a fellow Tasmanian, Emma Rachael Rawlings, the daughter of James and Emma Rawlings of Buckland, Tas., at Riverton. Unfortunately Emma died in 1873 at age 26 leaving George a widower with two small children, Herbert James Belbin (2 years) and Henry William Belbin (2 Months). George Herbert remarried in Riverton in 1874 when he wed English-born Clarabell, but by the 1890's the family had established itself at Strahan in Tasmania. It is thought that the eldest son, Herbert James, originally went to Strahan, stayed for a time, then returned across the Tasman to convince his father and brother to leave Riverton and move to the West Coast of Tasmania. The Tasmanian Post Office Directory for 1890-91 showed George Herbert Belbin as a Strahan builder, but merely listed Herbert Belbin in the Strahan area.

Herbert James and his eldest son, Cecil, worked the bush seeking timber around the Strahan region for most of their lives; however his wife, Rose, left for Sydney taking with her their two youngest sons, Basil and Vero. Herbert James formed a butchery partnership with Thomas Martin, and two Martin daughters, Agnes Lillian and Flossy May respectively, married brother Henry William Belbin and the latter's nephew, Cecil Belbin.

Henry William was a guard on the Zeehan-Strahan rail line until 1929 when he and his family moved to Moonah. The family consisted of seven children and included a traditional set of Belbin twins. Thomas, who did not marry, was the sole surviving male child; he spent many of his younger years working in the bush with his uncle and cousin at Strahan. He joined the RAAF during WW2 and received instrumentation training before being sent to Borneo. Henry William's grandchildren now live in South Australia, Victoria and Tasmania

William James is assumed to have become the labourer of Collins St. (February 1875 and May 1877) who married Irishwoman Nora (Honora) Lynch, and died, 13 October 1895 at the recorded age of 54 (57 ?). It has been suggested that there were at least eight children in their family.

James Belbin, the grandson of James (sen), has not yet been identified in the Tasmanian marriage or death records.

The Cambridge United Congregational Churchyard (opposite the old airport) contains the graves of a number of James Belbin (Jun)'s children. The most obvious are:

Fanny Maria Belbin who departed this life 3 October 1867 aged 32 years.
This was the spinster daughter of James (Jun). Again,

Henry Frederick Belbin, died 30 September 1921 aged 71 years.

Frederick Henry died at his residence, Larose, York St., Bellerive, but had previously lived at Riverdale, Cambridge. He was the youngest son and at age 22 married Margaret Susan Joseph (18), 1 July 1871.
A common grave headstone at the Cambridge cemetery identifies five of the nine children of Henry Frederick and Margaret.

At age 25, Caroline Joseph, a sister of Margaret Susan Joseph, married Edward Belbin (28) on 27 June 1874. This wedding may have been a little unusual in that four witnesses, instead of the more usual two, found it necessary to sign the marriage document. They were James E Joseph, Jane Joseph, Amelia Joseph, and Alfred Joseph. One may be pardoned for thinking that the Joseph family wanted to be quite certain that Caroline was in fact positively and irrevocably married.

After Caroline Belbin (nee Nichols) died in 1854, James Belbin (Jun), (52) married, on the 27 February 1855, Eliza Williams (34) at Trinity Church, Hobart. James outlived his second wife who died 26 June 1882 at the age of 61 years.

James Belbin (Jun) (d.July 1884) and his second wife are buried in a common grave at the Congregational Churchyard at Rokeby. Alongside are another two common graves, each holding one of James' daughters, (Elizabeth; Eliza Jane), her husband (James Young; William Young), and one of James Belbin's grand-children (Arthur Young; Jessie Young). The two sons-in-law were of course, to themselves, father and son.

Although the marriages of James Belbin (Jun)'s four sisters Elizabeth (Hanslow), Sarah (Williams), Catherine (Beacroft/ Brown/Collings), Sussanah (Hansen), are not discussed in detail here, one cannot ignore his half-brother William who was a product of Belbin (Sen)'s final marriage.

The children from James Belbin's (Sen) marriage to Elizabeth Poulter were all Tasmanian born, whereas their older half-siblings from the Belbin-Meredith union were born on Norfolk Island. As in the first marriage, there were also five surviving children from the final marriage, with the youngest the only boy, William, about whom most is known. Brief details of each of the children in the Poulter/Belbin family are:

Maria was born at Hobart 24 November 1814, baptised 26 December 1814 at St. Davids, and married David Garside.

Frances was born at Hobart 1 February 1817, was baptised 4 March 1817, and married Richard Flemming.

Ann was born at Hobart 11 July 1819, was baptised 9 August 1819, and married William Henry Smith.

No comments:

Post a Comment