Friday, February 19, 2016

B15 Robert Whiteway Branch


Robert Whiteway




Robert Whiteway was born in 1802 in a place called Eastrop in Highworth, in Wiltshire.

He was one of 7 children born to William Whiteway and his wife Elizabeth Ford.

William was born c 1756 and died in the Union Workhouse (probably he was demented) in 1841.
His wife Elizabeth died in 1813.

His siblings were:

Mary Whiteway        born 1784 and died 1787
Thomas Whiteway   born  1787  and died 1869   He married Elizabeth Moulden in 1804
Richard Whiteway    born 1789  and died 1878   He married 1. Sarah Ponter 1807 2. Martha Wood
John Whiteway         born 1792  and died 1868   He married Mary Ann Winchcombe 1813
William Whiteway   born 1795  and died  aft 1841  Married Mary Hewer 1817
Mary Whiteway        born  1798
Robert Whiteway     born 1802

The Whiteway boys were all Agricultural labourers.

Their mother Elizabeth died in 1813, and that may have been the cause Robert then being arrested for his crimes.


Robert was arrested for housebreaking and his sentence was death.  This was at the Summer Assizes in Gloucestershire.






He was sent to the Plymouth docks, and spent time on board the Phoenix

He arrived in New South Wales in 1822

Robert Whitway
1822
Phoenix
New South Wales
Male and Female
1822
Gloucester

From Sydney he left on the Prince of Orange and arrived in Tasmania 23rd July 1822

His brothers Thomas and John were also arrested for crimes.

Thomas was arrested for Larceny and then acquitted in 1821
John was arrested and imprisoned in 1832, for breaking into a warehouse, with his son James.  They received a 12 month sentence.


Then his nephew James received another sentence for 15 months and was transported.

James Whiteway

James arrived in Tasmania on the convict ship Cressey, on 20th August 1843, having left Plymouth on 30th April 1843.

James married Eleanor Smith.  Eleanor arrived in 1852 on the Sir Robert Seppings, she was aged 22.  She had been convicted for setting fire to a stack of wheat, but she had burns marks on her upper arms.  She could was, so would be a housemaid!


Eleanor Smith, one of 220 convicts transported on the Sir Robert Sippings [Seppings], 17 March 1852
Suffolk Assizes at Bury St Edmunds

 Name:
Whiteway, James  Record Type:  Marriage Permissions  Ship/free: Free
Marriage to:  Smith, Eleanor  Ship/free:  Sir Robert Seppings
Permission date:  10 Jan 1855  Record ID:  NAME_INDEXES:1268867  


James was given his pardon and in 1854 travelled from Launceston on the ship Clarence to Melbourne
He returned to Tasmania and was granted permission to marry the convict Eleanor Smith in January, 1855.  They married in Bothwell on 2nd February 1855

 Edward James born August 1855 in Bothwell   Edward died aged 7 in 1862 in Bothwell
Richard Whiteway was born 1857
 James born 1859 who died in 1863 aged 4.  There was an inquest.
Henry was born 1864
Daughter died 1869



1866 James was listed as a labourer
WHITEWAY, James
Labourer
Bothwell   


Wednesday 17 May 1882


 Saturday 30 June 1855

Launceston Examiner (Tas. : 1842 - 1899), Thursday 8 April 1869

  

What became of the Phoenix?

Sydney's Prison Hulk - HMS Phoenix 1825-1827   
A book has been written

Following are some excerpts from the booklet –

…..Most of the prisoners on board the Phoenix were kept there only until a ship could transport them to a place of secondary punishment. It is necessary to point out here the distinction between the terms ‘convicts’ and ‘prisoners’. Convicts generally referred to those who were sentenced in, and transported from, any of the British colonies. If they re-offended in the colony they were still convicts until they completed their original sentences or were given pardons. They then became ex-convicts. When those who were free, freed or native born committed crimes in colonial Australia, and sentenced to serve time in gaols, they were prisoners. An ex-convict could become a prisoner on committing further crimes. Serious colonial crimes could result in prisoners being transported to harsher colonial penal settlements such as Port Macquarie, Norfolk Island, Moreton Bay and Van Diemen’s Land. Not all were sent to such places. Some prisoners served their time on the hulk. 

……When the Phoenix was damaged at the entrance to Sydney Harbour on 6th August 1824, she was stuck on the reef for 24 hours. After being refloated and towed closer to shore, it was obvious that the dockyard could not make the necessary repairs to such a large vessel to make her seaworthy again. It was not until January 1825 that an auction was held to sell removable fittings. The hulk was then purchased to be specifically used as a prison ship to relieve the overcrowded condition of the Gaol in George Street. It would accommodate those who had received colonial sentences and were to be transported to penal settlements, as well as Government convicts who were in a poor state, and also Crown witnesses who were called to testify at criminal trials in Sydney.

…… In October 1830, a group of convicts who were due to be sent to Norfolk Island plotted their escape from the hulk. They had planned to overcome the guard. Their plot was uncovered and they were placed in heavy irons. The event triggered a tightening of security. Men who were to be sent to Norfolk Island had to remove their shoes in an effort to discourage attempts to abscond. The shoes were sent to the Island separately! After this attempt, the number of guards was also increased, and these guards were ordered to patrol the ship with loaded muskets. A pair of pistols; a cutlass; and ten rounds of ammunition were issued to the Superintendent of the hulk, the Assistant Superintendent and the boatswain (also spelt ‘bosun’). The latter happened to be George Lavender, after whom Lavender Bay was named when it was changed from Hulk Bay.


Convict ship - Prince of Orange
Charles Drewery was one of 136 convicts who set sail for Van Diemen’s Land (present day Tasmania) aboard the convict ship Prince of Orange on 1 April 1822, arriving there on 23 July 

The Prince of Orange was a two-decked vessel built in 1813 in Sunderland and weighed 363 tons  Her master for the trip to Van Diemen’s Land was John Moncrief 
The surgeon onboard this ship was John Crockett, and his journal for the voyage is preserved in the National Archives 
Four convicts died during the journey 
The Prince of Orange had made a previous journey carrying convicts, to New South Wales in 1820-21 
Another Hull convict, William Gibbons, travelled aboard the Prince of Orange with Charles Drewery. Like Charles, William was sentenced on 18 October 1821 to transportation for seven years [6].



Relics of convict discipline, Hobart, Tasmania. Photo by Frank and Frances Carpenter. Licensed under Public Domain via Wikimedia Commons.




*******************************************************************************


Robert and his family lived at Eastrop.  From the Highworth Historical Society, this early 1910 photograph of the Eastrop Grange.

His father was a labourer, so may have worked at the Grange



  



The Workhouse in England
Workhouses were to be found throughout England from the 17th to the 19th Century and were created to provide employment for paupers and food and lodging for the infirm. It was not until the 20th century that the system of social security replaced them.
Unfortunately they also proved to be a convenient place to house orphans, lunatics and criminals and some workhouses were difficult to distinguish from houses of correction.
In some cases the inmates were either let out to provide cheap labour in the community or kept idle to prevent competition with local workers depending on the economic situation at the time.

The Highworth Workhouse
An Act of Parliament in 1789 resulted in a new workhouse being built in 1790. It was built in Cricklade Road, Highworth and cost the parish £1900. It continued to be used as the parish workhouse until 1835 when as a result of the Poor Law, Swindon and Highworth were joined in the Poor Law Union.
The workhouse in Highworth was the only building available for the new, larger union but it was clearly not big enough and the sum of £850 was allocated to provide alterations and enlargements to allow housing for sometimes up to 80 inmates. However, due to increasing demand for places this too became over subscribed which led, in 1846, to a new workhouse being built in Stratton St Margaret near Swindon.

Surviving records show that the transactions of the Highworth and Swindon Poor Law Union (commonly known as the Workhouse) were frequently reported. Advertisements appeared requesting tenders for supplies from the following trades: Grocers, Butchers, Bakers, Drapers, Shoemakers, Undertakers, Masons, Plasterers, etc.


After receiving his pardon, Robert married Ann Larkin, on 1st October 1838 in Hamilton Australia.

Ann's lineage is rather difficult to confirm, however there are records which confirm definite family links.   Just which one, becomes sometimes rather difficult to confirm.


An Ann Larkin was born in March 1822, and was baptised on 10th March 1822 at the St Michael-le-Belfry Church in the beautiful town of York.






Who was Ann Larkin?    Or Mary Ann Larkins   Or Mary Ann Larking?
Was she the daughter of George Larking who was a resident in Bothwell in 1842? 
A convict who arrived on 30th December 1823 from London leaving 1 Sept 1823 on the Sir Godfrey Webster?   

That George Larking was born in Northallerton, a market town in Yorkshire. in 1795.  He married Mary Lyon on 17th October 1821 at St Michael-le-Belfry, in York.  She was born 25th November 1798 and baptised on 25th December 1798 at the same church.

George Larking

mentioned in the record of George Larking and Mary Lyon
Name
George Larking
Spouse's Name
Event Date
17 Oct 1821
Event Place
Saint Michael-Le-Belfry,York,York,England


They had a daughter Ann Larkin, born 1822.

Name
Gender
Male
Wife
Daughter
Name
Gender
Female
Christening Date
10 Mar 1822
Christening Place
SAINT MICHAEL-LE-BELFRY,YORK,YORK,ENGLAND 
Father's Name
George Larkin
Mother's Name

But this Mary perhaps is too young to match with the arrival of Mary Larkin in 1836.


George Larking was arrested for burglary at the York Assizes in 1823, and was sentenced to life.
He was transported to Tasmania, onboard the Sir Godfrey Webster in 1826.

He was assigned as an  assistant to Dr Scott 

He made the local papers for drunkenness.   


On Friday 15 February 1833 he was awarded his Ticket of leave 

  
Then in 1841 census George Larking is listed as living in Bothwell, as per Linc

Larking, George  Record Type:  Census  Under 14:   No  Year:  1842  Census district: Bothwell

********************************************************************************
There is another birth for a Mary Larkin in 1817, and this birth would match more with the arrival in Australia.

Name:
Mary Lakin
Gender:
Female
Baptism Date:
9 Feb 1817
Baptism Place:
Northallerton,York,England
Father:
Mother:

There was a family George and Margaret Larkin, he born in c 1793 Yorkshire, Notherton, and according to the 1851 census, he was a Shoemaker!!!!

He  had a son George born 1831, and also his grand-daughter Jane born 1846 living with them.

Whatever her correct name or her correct parents one thing is certain, she had to have an arrival record to Australia.

*********************************************************************************

Now for the confusing bits!!  Is this George Larkings who has now changed his name to Larkins?  Because to be sure, the broad accent of the Yorkshire people would leave no doubt at all that people would hear Larkins and Larking as the same!   Gordie is what they call some of the northern accents!


Name:
George Larking
Vessel:
Sir Godfrey Webster
Province:
Tasmania
Title:
List of convicts (incomplete)
Year(s):
1826

 

Details for the convict George Larking (1823)

The Sir Godfrey Webster departed London on 1st September 1823 and arrived in Sydney 30 December 1823.

Convict Name:
George Larking
Trial Place:
York (City) Assizes
Trial Date:
15 March 1823
Sentence:
Life
Notes:
Arrival Details
Ship:
Arrival Year:
1823













How did Ann Larkin arrive in Tasmania?  

According to Linc:

Name:  Larkins, Mary  Record Type: Arrivals Arrival date: 3 February 1836
Ship: Boadicea Remarks: age 20 Record ID: NAME_INDEXES:1469887 Resource
CSO1/1/848 pfile 17942 



Boadicea (1836)


Departed London 14 Oct 1835, arriving Hobart 02/04 Feb 1836? with 6 passengers & 216/265 free female immigrants on board.
Sources:
Pearce, Ian & Cowling, Clare, Guide To The Public Records Of Tasmania, Section Four, Free Immigration, Archives Office of Tasmania, 1975, p91.
Nicholson, Ian Hawkins, Shipping Arrivals and Departures, Tasmania, 1834-1842, Roebuck, 1985, p54.
Newspaper report Colonial Times, Tuesday 09 Feb 1836, p4.

Passengers

BLACKBOURN(E) / BLACKBURN, Susanna (left for Sydney Jul 1836)
BROWN, Matilda
CALAGHAN, Margaret
CALAGHAN, Margaret
CALAGHAN, Mary
CASEY, Mary
COFFEE / COFFEY, Margaret
COLGAN, Margaret
GARD, Ann
GARD / GAURD, Ann
HALL, (family)
MEYERS, Julia (nee Lazarus)
MOSS, James
MOSS, John & Mary with John, Isaac, Ann Eliza & Mary
NOWLAN, Mary Ann
TIFFIN, Mary Ann
TOUGH, Isabella MacIntosh
WILSON, John & Catherine
WOODLAND, Elizabeth
WOODLAND, Mary Ann

(not a complete passenger listing)


 Mary Larkins also left her clothes in exchange for board and lodging!


On 1st October 1838 Mary Larkin married Robert Whiteway at Hamilton in Tasmania.

In 1839 they had a daughter  Mary Ann Whiteway
In 1841 another daughter Mary Ann Whiteway
In 1843 another daughter Sarah Jane Whiteway
In 1845 another daughter Rebecca Whiteway.

All the girls were born in Bothwell.  Mary died 17th February 1847 in Bothwell, and is buried in the Bothwell Cemetery.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-b9sPB0q0ejQ/VsgIFZqHuTI/AAAAAAAArFY/-mbtQjqKMyM/s320/Robert%2BWhiteway%2Bmarriage.jpg


**********************************************************************************

But there is still the confusion between the George Larkings and George Larkins.  

In 1846 - 1847 Mr George Larkins arrived from York in England in June, to attend to his grand-daughter Mary Ann Whiteway's education at Mrs Wilkinson's her property Larkins house, next door and brewery, and direct Larkin's money to York (dates were noted when the moneys were readmitted)

From this, Mary Larkins father was George Larkin from York.  Perhaps then George Larkings was a nephew or her brother.  Or perhaps George Larkings morphed into George Larkin a shoemaker.

Mary's father was certainly a man of means, as noted by his concerns for his grand-daughter after Mary's death, and his visit to Bothwell.

Somewhere there seems to be some sort of a relationship between these people

But is this Mrs Wilkinson also a relation to Rev Thomas Wigmore's wife?

http://www.islandregister.com/wigmore2.html

 Name:
Larkins, George  Record Type: Departures  Rank: Passenger  Departure date: 5 Feb 1846
Departure port: Hobart  Ship:  Gilbert Henderson  Bound to:  London
Record ID:  NAME_INDEXES:573897  Resource  CUS36/1/238 


*******************************************************************************

So where did this snippet come from?  The personal papers of William and John Clark of Cluny, Bothwell, Family Papers 1812 - 1872, - Royal Society of Tasmania Manuscript Collection.

Actually there were so many other snippets which added to previous research!


William Clark (1769-1851) arrived in Tasmania in 1824 and settled near Bothwell
at Cluny, and later acquired other property on the River Jordan at the Hunting Ground,
later called Mauriceton.

He had formerly served in the British army, was taken prisoner by the French in
1812. In 1821-1823 he served in South Africa but when his regiment was ordered to
India he sold his captaincy to retire to Van Diemen's Land, as his health would not stand
an Indian campaign.

William Clark and his wife Ann (nee Elphinstone) had five sons and two
daughters: Thomas Noble (1793-1853), Jane (1795-1873), Ann (1797-1868), William
(1799-1825), George (1801-1827), Charles (1803-1833), John (1807-1852). Four of
the sons followed their father into the army. William jr. and his wife Isabella (daughter
of Thomas Berdmore) both died of yellow fever in Jamaica in 1825 leaving an infant
son, William Sydney, who also died before he could be brought back to his Berdmore
grandparents. George died in India at the age of 26 in 1827 and Charles was drowned in
October 1833 in the Wreck of the "Lady Munro" on this way from India to join his
parents in Tasmania.

John Clark (1807-1853),the youngest son, came with his father to Tasmania and
was Keeper of the Bonded Store in Launceston, Coast Waiter and Searcher at George
Town and Police Magistrate at Hobart, Launceston, George Town and later Bothwell
He returned to take over the management of Cluny in 1838. He married Jane Eddie but
had no children.

Jane the elder daughter came to Tasmania with her father from South Africa on the
"Adrian". She did not marry but was governess to the children of Lieutenant-Governor
Arthur and later lived with her father. Mrs Ann Clark and the second daughter, Ann,
came from England in the "Phoenix" to join the family. Ann married in 1826 William
Pritchard Weston (1804-1888) of Hythe, Longford, who had arrived in Tasmania in
1824. W.P. Weston was a member of the Royal Society of Tasmania. He opposed
transportation and became a member of Parliament, serving as Premier for brief period
in 1857 and 1861. He spent his later years in Victoria where he died in 1888. 


William and Ann Weston had two sons, Edward Dubrelle (1831-1877), who married Kate
Macarthy Clerke, and Maurice (1834-1895), who married Marie Elizabeth Wilmore in
1864, and five daughters: Madeleine Dubrelle who married John Guthrie in 1850;
Ann (1832- ), who married Joseph Archer in 1852; Aimee (d. 1861) who married
James Carstairs; Fanny who married Edward Morrah of the Bank of Australia and
New Zealand in 1858; and Emma Blanche who was born in London in 1840. Ann
(Clark) Weston added Dubrelle to her eldest children's names as the Clark family
claimed to be be descended from a French Huguenot family called Dubrelle who settled
in Ireland in the 17th century. 

Edward Weston inherited Cluny but left it in common to
all his children, so the property was leased and eventually sold. Edward's eldest son
was William Dubrelle (d. 1946, a solicitor of Law, Weston and Archer of Launceston)
and his eldest son Edwin Dubrelle Weston donated to the Queen Victoria Museum,
Launceston, some papers of the Weston family and a portrait of W.P. Weston.

The William and John Clark Papers are an interesting record of a settler family.
They include papers concerning the management of the Cluny property, a few papers
relating to Bothwell and John Clark's correspondence concerning his work as a
magistrate. There are also letters to John Clark from William Bames (1791 ?-1848).
brewer of Launceston, 1829-1839; Matthew Curling Friend of Newnham, Pon Officer
at George Town, 1833-1841, and from Charles Arthur (1808-1884), nephew of and
Aide-de-Camp to Lt.-Governor George Arthur, 1827-1829. There are also letters from
British army officers' wives and daughters addressed to Jane Clark.


**********************************************************************************


There is a death for George Larkins in 7 March 1876 in Hobart

George Larkins
Australia, Tasmania, Miscellaneous Records

Name
George Larkins
Event Type
Burial
Event Date
14 Mar 1876
Event Place
Tasmania, Australia 
Age
70
Birth Year (Estimated)
1806
Birthplace
England

And a will

 Name:  Lakin, George  Record Type:  Wills  Year:  1876  Page:  168
Record ID:  NAME_INDEXES:636924  Resource  AD960/1/11 

Colonial database links put this as  George Larkins who was born in 1806 in Cambridge


There is an arrival of a convict George Larkin on the Guilford in 

 Name:
Larkin, George    Record Type: Convicts Arrival date: 28 Oct 1820 Departure date:14 May 1820
Departure port:    Portsmouth    Ship:  Guildford  Voyage number:  9  Index number:  41377
Record ID: NAME_INDEXES:1410562


The Guildford was the next convict ship to leave England for New South Wales after the departure of the Agamemnon on 3rd May 1820. The Guildford departed Portsmouth on 14th May 1820 with 190 male prisoners.

Hugh Walker kept a Medical Journal from 15 April 1820 to 5 November 1820.
Officers commanding the guard of the 46th regt., were Lieut. Dawe of 46th and Ensign Codd of 48th regiment. Passenger: assistant surgeon Allen.

Six weeks after commencing the voyage, the surgeon had the irons struck off the boys who were learning to read. He was pleased with their progress as many did not know any letters when they arrived on board.

The prisoners were usually put in handcuffs as punishment for theft or quarrelling. There was only one mention of corporal punishment, that of James Knibbs on 2 August, was given 2 dozen lashes for theft.

The ship reached Simons Town on 6th August they received fresh water, vegetables and fruit. Four prisoners were received on board from Cape Town. There was a dispute here between Surgeon Walker and Lieutenant Dawe of the Guard over the method of punishment of one of the prisoners, John Flynn who had stolen bread from a soldier. The dispute was settled with a verbal judgement from Captain Moresby of the Menai to whom the surgeon had appealed. John Flynn's punishment was to be put in handcuffs.

They got under way from Cape Town on 17th August. There was a violent squall on the night of 30th August. The sail was ripped to pieces and cross jack yard was torn away.

On the 27 September they passed by Jervis Bay and by this time the convicts were allowed on deck without restraints. They reached Port Jackson Heads at 8am on 30 September 1820 and at noonCaptain John Piper, Naval Officer of the Port came on board. By 2pm they had anchored in Sydney Cove. There had been one death, that of an infant girl and one birth, the wife of Sergeant Wardrobe of the 46th regiment, was delivered of a son.  ..........................................

http://www.jenwilletts.com/convict_ship_guildford_1820.htm


There is a departure of George Larkins in 1830    

 Name:
Larkins, George  Record Type:  Departures  Rank:  Passenger  Departure date:  12 Mar 1830
Departure port:  Hobart  Ship:  Bussorah Merchant  Bound to:  Swan River
Record ID:  NAME_INDEXES:573892  Resource  CUS33/1/1 p197 

Some further shipping facts for George Larkins/Lakin.  These records would match the report from the Clark papers as to George Larkin who was interested in his grand-daughter.


Research indicates that there was a George Larkin who was granted land in Bothwell in 1833

Name:
Larkins, George  Record Type: 
Rank:Passenger
Departure date: 5 Dec 1846
Departure port:  Hobart Town
Ship:
Bound to: Port Phillip
Record ID: NAME_INDEXES:573899
Resource
CUS36/1/499 



Tuesday 26 February 1839

Saturday 21 March 1840

The Brewery owned by Larkins suffered a fire in March 1840 then in October 1840 he has placed the property for sale.




Tuesday 16 March 1841

In 1841 he was mentioned as being a shoe maker at Bothwell, and the dispute was over unpaid debts, and who other than the popular Mr Schaw!

LARKINS V. SCHAW.
This was an action brought for the recovery of a Bill of Exchange for £71 15s. accepted by the defen- dant in February 1836, drawn by the plaintiff. Mr.   Stephen for the plaintiff; Mr, Jones for the defendant.
Mr. James Young.-Keeps a store at Bothwell, and the Bridgewater Hotel ; kept a store at Bothwell in February 1836 ; knows the defendant, Charles Schaw,   Esq., of Bothwell; the acceptance now produced is  ...............................


Now was this the same George Larkin, shoemaker who was in Hobart and mentioned unfairly in yet another court case in 

Saturday 8 June 1850  

By now George the shoemaker is living in Macquarie Street, and was wrongfully mentioned in a court matter.



Then  George Larkin who arrived on the Souvenir possibly Wednesday 20 August 1845


 Name:
Lakin, George  Record Type:  Departures   Rank:PassengerStatus:Free
Departure date:5 Aug 1848  Departure port:LauncestonShip:I Don¿t Know
Ship to colony:  Souvenir   Bound to: Sydney
Record ID: NAME_INDEXES:573203 Resource POL220/1/1 p19

Wednesday 9 August 1848  


But some really interesting fact emerge in the paper of 4th September 1850, 

Fresh Applicants. Amongst the fresh applicants were Thomas Jones and Henry Wilson, both applying  for a licence to an old licensed house, ' the Waterloo Hotel,' George Town, occupied by Robert McLoughin. Mr. Fawnes here stated that McLouglin had gone to California, the house wanted repairing, which he would do, provided he could get possession and get Mrs. McLoughlin out.

Mr. Rocher appeared on behalf of James Wilson, and opposed the application of Jones, on the ground  that applicant a few months back was the occupant of 'the British Hotel,' which was transferred to his client, Jones re viving from him the sum of one hundred and ninety pounds ; he stating to Wilson that  he was going to leave the colony; now on the face of this, he is applying for a licence of a house situate close to Wilson, namely ' the Waterloo Hotel,' — and to the manifest injury of his client.

Here Mr. Douglas, who was retained by Jones said, — 'That Mr. Rocher was not in possession of the facts, which were simply these — the house had been let to Mr. Larkin, who let it to Wilson. Mr. Jones thought by leaving, it would have been beneficial to his wife's health. Mr. Douglas spoke as to the many transfers of a similar nature which had been effected, and contended from the respectability of Mr. Jones, they surely would not negative bis application ; in fact Jones had never entered into any arrangement with Wilson. Mr. Rocher in reply, spoke as to the dilapidated state of the premises, and reminded the meeting that their invariable rule had been not to grant licenses to ineligible houses. Mr.  Fawnes in reply to a query said, ' as Soon as be could get possession he would repair, the house.' The meeting here put to the vote   When Jones was elected a fitting applicant by majority
.

One thing is certain this George Larkins knew a thing or two about brewing.

Then he is mentioned in some disputed land titles in 1872.

.






The Clyde Brewery was begun and operated by George Larkin before the Bothwell Brewery, it's address is 4 Patrick Street Bothwell, now the home of a beautiful heritage listed home.



The Phillip papers expand a little more on Mr Schaw

Complaints about Magistrate Schaw July 1838 - 1841

Papers relating to grievances of Bothwell inhabitants against "the arbitrary and
oppressive acts of Assistant Police Magistrate Charles Schaw Esq." and also complaints
about his chief district constable Wheatley.

Papers include correspondence with the Colonial Secretary and with other Bothwell residents such as A. McDowall, who reported that Schaw was insolvent and also commented on Sir John and Lady Franklin dining at Schawfield (Jan. 1840), and James Garrett, who claimed that he had "opened the eyes of certain personages in town relative to certain doings here" and later described changes in the "War Office" - its "Head" shepherding on mountains of Australia Felix, his "jackal" to the Commercial Bank, the "poor jew" to Port Adelaide - true that Moss tendered resignation, Wheatley acknowledges the villainy practised on all parties and applied for employment at the Commercial Bank: (7 May 1840) and made a complaint on behalf of his assigned servant
(25 June 1840) see also E.S.Hall RS8/B 15.

Also included are petitions from: Charles Haines, tinman and brazier of Bothwell, George Larkins (including Larkins' grant of a ticket of leave 1833 and note of his conditional pardon 1836 and free pardon 1840), Thomas Painton, James Baldwin,
Richard Andrews, George Smith, blacksmith, and a public meeting of Bothwell inhabitants (14, 16 Dec. 1839), and complaints concerning the treatment of a constable, prisoners, and servant of Rev. Garrett, Ellen Hobson a free woman, suspected of being
a runaway; robbery of John Wood of Weasel Plains of which James King suspected; complaint about the absence of the A.P.M. when bushrangers robbed G. Nicolas' hut (Nov 1840) and complaint of behaviour of Schaw at meeting of Bothwell Literary
Society (Oct. 1841).
(bundle of papers in chronological order - old green J. Nos plus a few K)


BOTIIWELL JUSTICE OF THE PEACE

22 Correspondence 1839 - 1843, 1845, 1847

Correspondence relating to magistracy matters.

Letters received include:- Charles Schaw Assistant Police Magistrate: requests for JC. to sit on the bench for various cases such as slaughtering contrary to the Act, licensing laws - Richard Daniel publican of Bothwell, constables accused of assault, etc (1839); John Bell: begging J.C. to help get him released from the [road?] party; A McDowall of Logan: IC. to take a declaration "of a certain young lady upon a certain subject" [marriage declaration?] (21 June 1839); Thomas Neville: asking J.C. to help him to get job as overseer of lumber yard (8 July 1839); H.L. Hutchinson: applying
for appointment as Police Clerk at Longford (14 Nov. 1839); W.M.Dean, Launceston: hire of horses on government business (Nov. 1839); J. Allpon:

advice on Sharland's threats to sue (Jan. 1840); J. Garren: drunken cook (May 1840); E.S. Hall: police, magistrates (16 Dec. 1840); papers relating to J.Co's complaints against AP.M. Samuel Barrow about the behaviour of a party of constables at Cluny when pursuing the bushrangers Cash and Jones and also when serving a summons on J.C. for allowing a cart to be driven without the owner's name on it when they invaded his house and attempted to distain on his goods for the fine (July 1842) and advice from solicitors on difficulty of suing (Aug.1842 see also C 11 5,9,16 Aug.); 

papers relating to Rev. Wigmore bringing a charge against J.C. for not registering the death of Challoner after an inquest and J.Co's complaints about Wigmore's behaviour (Aug.- Dec. 1842 See
also E.S. Hall RS8/B23); R.P. Stuan: J.C. acting for him as AP.M. (Nov. 1842);
cases of George Dudfield, Richard Coster (debts due), John Too (insolvent) (Dec. 1842); Lewis Smith: arrest of his servant Higgins (1843); G.A Davis - possible appointment (19 Aug. 1845); J.C.'s commendation of the Police Office during bush fires (1847).

In 1838 William Clark, John's father, conveyed his property, Cluny, to his son in return for annuities for himself and his wife and daughters and at the end of the year John Clark returned to Bothwell to run the property. He continued to act as a justice of the peace and coroner in Bothwell and got involved in a dispute between some Bothwell inhabitants and the Assistant Police Magistrate Major Charles Schaw of Schawfield.

Later he was also in dispute with another A.P.M. Samuel Barrow and with a fellow Bothwell justice of the peace Rev. Wigmore.

Bothwell Literary Society 1841 
Copy of letters from W. Clark to W.O. Elliston and to Matthew~Chief Police Magistrate about a false and exaggerated report of the General Meeting of the Bothwell Literary Society under the pseudonym "Vindex" who he had ascertained  was the police clerk [Robinson] "acting under the fear of Major Schaw" who could not have been present and who had once been expelled from the Society.

*********************************************************************************

Tracing George Larkings  years between 1842 and 1876.  There was a daughter born in 1861 to Thomas Larkins, and recorded as F. Larkings.  Transcription errors are so very common!

Wednesday 19 January 1848
Inquest—An inquest, was held on Wednesday last, at the Dr. Syntax Public house, Sandy Bay; on the body of a Boy three years old, the son of Mr, Larkins, the poor little fellow met with a horrid death, having fallen into a bucket of scalding water; a verdict was given of accidental death

And a Mary Ann Larkin who was born in Scotland and arrived around 1859, and was mentioned in the newspapers.  She married George Grice.

 *********************************************************************************

The Bothwell Brewery was in Patrick Street Bothwell.  Co-incidentally the Castle Hotel is in Patrick Street Bothwell, and it was built by John Vincent, well known to the Jillett family, as he built the Callington Mill and sold it to Thomas, and one of his daughters married one of Henry Cockrill's sons!   
Remember the same Cockrill, that Rev Thomas Wigmore defended, then was later out of favour by the same man!

Perhaps it was to do with the good Reverend's views of temperance!

Totally intermingled are all these branches!

 John VINCENT 




Born about 1779, possibly near Callington in Cornwall, John VINCENT married Susannah RIVERS around 1803. Their first child was born in Gloucester in 1804.

They had eight children when they arrived in Hobart Town on Elizabeth in 1823 as free settlers from London. He was granted a town allotment in Bridge Street and set up trade as a builder.

In ensuing years he applied for land grants and built at houses at Browns River and Sorell Springs, the Castle Inn at Bothwell, the London Inn at Spring Hill and the Callington Mill at Oatlands.
He died at Green Ponds in 1857. 


Description of a house for sale in Dennistoun Rd, Bothwell, by Elders.  

Historic Home
Nestled in the lovely town of Bothwell is this National Trust classified brick cottage built in 1847 and once owned by ex-convict Robert Blake who's son purchased and ran the Bothwell brewery which became known as Blakes' Brewery. There has been a sympathetically adjoined brick barn like addition at the back of the cottage with a new kitchen living room and a magnificent bedroom upstairs. A wood combustion stove has been installed which heats the large master bedroom upstairs, the kitchen living room and the hot water. The original brick residence has an old combustion stove and a wood-heater both flanked by elegant Huon Pine cupboards. The original blackwood floor boards add character and warmth to this lovely residence. The adjoined title used to have a Wesleyan Church but it was demolished. The package is complemented by a garage, workshop and garden shed







[1] http://think-tasmania.com/bothwell/With the death of his wife Mary, possibly in childbirth, Robert has the responsibility for his daughters.


Mary Ann Whiteway was born  1839  She married Simon George Arnett in 1857 and died in 1912
Tamar Whiteway was born 1841  She married William Maskell in 1859  She died in 1930
Sarah Jane Whiteway was born 1843  She married Josiah Triffett in 1859 in Bothwell She d 1896
Rebecca Whiteway was born 1845  She married Isaac Blake in 1863  She died in 1935

At the time of their mother's death the girls were very young.


On 13th January 1848 he married Ellen Wigmore at Bothwell.  Ellen was aged 19   They had several children, and then Ellen died in 1861, aged 34.

Ellen may have been in the need of a husband as she had been partnered  to Joseph Ryan and had a daughter Elizabeth Ryan who was born 26 June 1846.

Saturday 13 September 1845 he was recommended for a Ticket of Leave

 His recommendation for a pardon was in 1846. Then Joseph Ryan who  had his pardon in July 1848, , married in July 1848 Mary Murray in Hobart

Name:F Ryan
Birth Date:26 Jun 1846
Birth Place:Tasmania
Registration Year:1846
Registration Place:Bothwell, Tasmania, Australia
Father:Joseph Ryan
Mother:Ellen Wigmore
Registration Number:54


Name:Robert Whiteway
Spouse Name:Ellen Wigmore
Marriage Date:13 Jan 1848
Marriage Place:Tasmania
Registration Place:Bothwell, Tasmania
Registration Year:1848
Registration Number:1410


Name:Whiteway
Death Date:17 Dec 1861
Parent/Spouse:Ellen Mrs
Age:34
Other Details:Bothwell
Publication Date:23 Dec 1861
Their children were

Ellen Whiteway    born  5th November 1848 in Bothwell  Married John Jillett.

Sophia Susan Whiteway   born 5th August 1850   
                              m Robert Alfred Jillett in 1867 in Bothwell.  She died in 1920 in Beaconsfield.

Adelaide Whiteway born 9th February 1854  
                             m  Alfred Athelston Gaby in 1875 in Bothwell  She died 1896 in Ringarooma

Catherine Frances Whiteway  born 15 March 1852 
                                    m  Charles Edward Andrews 1877   She died in 1896

Emily Louisa Whiteway    born 3 March 1856 
                                   m Richard Robinson in Oatlands in 1878  She died in 1893 in Oatlands

Robert Whiteway            born 4th February 1858   
                                 m      Mary Elizabeth Solomon and died in 1930


Ellen Whiteway died 17 December 1861 and
Robert Whiteway died 8th May 1865, at his residence "White Hart Inn" in Bothwell.  He is buried at the Bothwell Cemetery.


So who raised the children????   No doubt Robert's three elder daughters who all married in 1859.

This is the sad realisation of researching in this period, so many people died from the epidemics including scarlet fever.


********************************************************************************


The hotel burnt to the ground in 1937.




Friday 1 January 1937



Often the residents had reasons for naming different structures,  Thomas Shone called his property Stanton, as the area reminded him of where he was born, in Shropshire, and it does. 

Robert Whiteway may have decided to call his Inn after his own homeland, also, because surprisingly, his brother was living in the yard of the White Hart Inn in 1841 as recorded on the census.





 

From Tasmanian Archives the above photos of the Inn at Bothwell

And the real deal in Ford, in Wiltshire, I wonder if they know the links!






*********************************************************************************

Seems there were two White Hart Inns??


TICKET-OF-LEAVE MUSTERS.
FINGAL.
Those residing in that part of the district from Grayfort to Eastham, Ellerslie, and Kingston, will be mustered on Friday, the 16th of September next, at 10 o'clock in the forenoon, on the Church Hill, Avoca.
Those residing between Grayfort, Falmouth, and George's River, will be mustered at the Police Office, Fingal, on Tuesday, the 20th September, at 10 o'clock in the forenoon.
CAMPBELL TOWN.
At the Police Office, Campbell Town, on Friday, the 23d September, at 9 o'clock.
OATLANDS.
On Tuesday, the 20th September, at the Court House, Oatlands.
On Wednesday, the 21st September, at the London Inn, Spring Hill.
On Thursday, the 22d September, at the White Hart Inn, Antill Ponds.
On Friday, the 23d September, at Mr. William Neale's, Eastern Marshes.
The Muster each day will take place at 10 o'clock precisely in the forenoon.



Information extracted from Orchard (1991) records the post office at Antill Ponds was first opened on 25 June 1832. This was about two years after the northsouth road was built through St Peters pass and the White Hart Inn (the first HalfWay House) was built. It was subsequently closed on 31 January 1897, re-opened again on 26 April 1897, closed on 8 August 1897, reopened as Woodbury on 9 August 1897 and eventually closed on 31 August 1968.


The original Half Way House was at Sorell Springs, having been built by John Presnell, a blacksmith by trade, who arrived from England on the Midas on 13 January 1821. He was granted 300 acres of land at Sorell Springs on which he built the White Hart Inn. A licence to sell spirits, wine and beer was granted in 1822 but following the subsequent realignment of the highway through St Peters Pass and the bypassing of Sorell Springs, Presnell acquired land at Antill Ponds in 1830, pulled down the first White Hart Inn and had it re-erected at Antill Ponds so to again catch the travelling public and supply them with refreshments and accommodation.
This building comprised seven rooms, suitable for an inn and valued at £500, together with a six stall stable and other outbuildings. This was also called the White Hart Inn; it bore this name until 1842 when it was changed to the Half Way House. The old inn was delicensed in the 1930s, and eventually demolished in the 1970s.

The Hobart Mercury reported on Saturday 31 December 1932:



ANCIENT INN ON MAIN ROAD DELICENSED
TIMEGENTLEMEN!” – One of the oldest hostelries in the State, Half-way House, Antill Ponds, so named because of its equal distance between Hobart and Launceston, will closed its doors to the public on December 31, as a result of the decision of the Oatlands Licensing Court that the hotel was not required. Its passing as a public-house awakens indefinable sentiments, in view of its historical associations.

– Story adapted from Antill Ponds and the Half Way House by R. H. Green.



*********************************************************************************

Sometimes research reveals another family association.  This time the name Bowden certainly needed some further investigation.  As within the Jillett lineage, Thomas Bowden married Sarah Ann Bradshaw, and John Bowden married Elizabeth Jillett.   However there was no links.

***********************************************************************************

Isaac Blake was the son of Robert Blake, and Robert had married Mary Bowden.

Robert was a convict, convicted at Wiltshire in 1830/31.  He received his pardon in 1840,  

Name:Robert Blake
Arrival Date:1831
Vessel:Eliza
Province:Tasmania
Title:List of convicts (incomplete)
Year(s):1832

He was granted land in Bothwell  Saturday 28 December 1839


Saturday 15 November 1845
Robert Blake, ticket-of-leave, was accommodated with a brief sojourn at the ' Mill' by way of caution,not to wander about in the Morven District, nor any other district, without providing himself with a pass, which (the Magistrate observed) can always be promptly obtained by application to the Police Clerk.

He and his family lived in Bothwell.


It is reported in "The Breweries of Australia A History" that his son, Isaac Blake operated the Bothwell Brewery between 1864 to 1884.   


BowdenEdward  Record Type:  Convicts  Arrival date:  2 Aug 1827  Departure date: 5 Apr 1827
Departure port: London  Ship: Governor Ready  Voyage number:  50
Remarks:  Application to bring out family GO33/1/4 p516  Index number:  6155
Record ID:
NAME_INDEXES:1374277



After his arrival in Tasmania they were granted permission by the Lieut. Governor to join him. The children were Johnathon, Mary, Harriet, Sarah and Edward. Three other daughters - Eliza, Henrietta and Ann - were born in Tasmania.