Thursday, August 16, 2018

B11 Eliza Jillett and John Bowden - What became of Eliza?

John Bowden and Eliza Jillett

      Host at Royal Oak Hotel Penola  SA


John Bowden and his marriage to Eliza Jillett

John Bowden married Eliza Jillett and they had four children.
1.      Susannah Bowden        1829     -           1887
2.      Matthew Bowden         1830
3.      John William Bowden   1832     -           1833
4.      Eliza Bowden               1834     -           c1906

In 1825 he was on the land, with sheep.  He later had the lease of a pub in New Norfolk.

Hobart Town Gazette and Van Diemen's Land Advertiser (Tas. : 1821 - 1825), Friday 4 February 1825, page 2
Supreme Court

MONDAY.--Samuel Thomas Fielding, aged 21, and John Newton, aged 16, both late of Lemon Springs, were arraigned for feloniously stealing and driving away, on the 1st Instant- at Anstey Barton, forty sheep, worth £30, the property of Mr. Arnold Fisk. Plea, Not Guilty.

His Majesty's Attorney-General (J. T. GELLIBRAND, Esq.) briefly introduced the facts, and called the prosecutor, who said--I live about 6 miles beyond Jericho, where I have a farm and I am Chief District Constable of Methvin. Besides my own sheep, I have 400 or 500, which belong to other people, on the thirds. I have so had them from the 11th of last May. Previous to the 1st instant, I had lost a great many sheep ; and at that time they were not right. I ought to have then had 24 scores and 17, excluding my previous losses of 69 and about 80 be-sides. I counted my sheep then, and there were 17 over the scores ; but the number of scores has escaped my recollection. I again counted them on the 2d instant, when eight were missing in addition to those that had been found deficient the day before. All of them were marked with two holes in the right ear, the left ear being whole, and there was a pitch-brand of A F K connected on the near side about the ribs. On the 3d instant I was sent for to Mr. Anstey's, where I saw the head and skin of a sheep, the first of which had my ear mark, and the latter a pitch brand, but illegible, on the centre of the near side. The sheep I had lost were worth 15s. to 18s. each. My house is distant about a mile and a half from the Road Gang's Huts. Some of my lost sheep have since been recovered, but whether the eight that were missed on the 2d instant were among them, I cannot say.

The number of those found is about 100. I am yet deficient of about 22 to make up the 24 scores and 17. The sheep which were given me on the thirds I was to keep for 12 months. I never saw any sheep in the neighbourhood marked as mine were. Mine were yarded on the night of the 1st instant. The yard is 100 yards from my house and made of brush. I never knew the sheep go out of the yard of their own accord unless they were driven about with intent to catch them. I am po-sitive that none of my neighbours use the same mark that I do.
Thomas Cummings (King's Evidence).-I am a prisoner of the Crown, and on the 1st of January was working as one of the road party between Jericho and Lemon Springs, The prisoners were in my gang and working with me. We usually leave off work at noon on Saturday.
We left work at 12 that day; we went home, had our rations, and the prisoners with myself went opposuming.--It was about 3 when we went out. Fielding proposed going-we had a small dog with us and a clasp knife-and he gave it to Newton. I saw it before we started-we went to-wards the East of Lemon's Hill, and then turned towards the West.
We saw a flock of sheep in a bottom, and the shepherd with them ;-he was heading them towards Mr. Fisk's hut. I did not know Fisk's hut then, but the prisoners did. We afterwards on reaching the top of the hill saw the shepherd go into the hut. When we first saw the flock, Fielding said, " We'll have one of those sheep !" When the shepherd entered the hut, Fielding said, " now the shepherd's gone into the nut, now's the time to have one !" We were 3 or 400 yards from the sheep, and perhaps 7 or 800 yards from the hut-there were trees between us and, the hut. The prisoners after the shepherd had gone in, separated about 40 sheep on the hill from the rest of the flock. I followed the prisoners, but having a very bad pair of shoes, and being therefore in pain, I could not keep up with them. They drove the sheep amongst some brush called Traven wood on Mr. Anstey's estate ; I followed them, probably a mile or two. By the time I got up to them-they said, " you may go ; we don't want you ;" they had the sheep in a sort of fold which was partly formed by two fallen gum trees angularly placed and made secure with brush. The sheep were in it.

When I got up the prisoners had got one, and they then drove the others away. Field-ing had got the sheep. He said to Newton"give me a lift up."--The sheep, which was alive, was then placed on his shoulder,--and he then ran to a thicker part of the wood to kill it.--Newton drove the rest from the fold, in a direction from Mr. Anstey's--I followed Fielding and saw him kill the sheep. I was afraid. Newton came up to me, and then passed on to Fielding. When we went up the sheep was bleeding. I saw Fielding cut its throat, when I was about 20 yards off. New-ton wanted to skin the sheep, but Fielding said, " I can skin it better than you, have not I been a butcher ?"--It was then dressed, cut up, and put into 3 shirts, 2 belonging to Newton, and one to Fielding. The shirts were then taken up ; Fielding said no man should take us while he had that knife.
We went towards home, it was between 5 and 6.--As we went we heard a horse.-Fielding said "drop it!"--we all dropped the mutton, and Fielding ran away. The rider came up to us, and asked us what we had dropped? We said " nothing." Fielding then came back, and on being questioned as to what he had dropped, said " no thing," also. The horseman then went back to see what it was, and we went on. Fielding said "that's John Bowden!"--Bowden said " if you tell me where you got it from I will not report it to the overseers ; but if you don't, I'll take you before the Magistrates."
Mr. Bowden then rode off at lull gallop, towards our huts.--We then took up the mutton and ran in an opposite direction, where we hid it under some bushes.--We then took a log on our shoulder, and went home, to prevent being missed at muster time. As we were entering the hut, our overseer came out of it with Bowden, and we were identified as the parties who had the mutton. Lieutenant Evernden was then informed of the circumstance, and he sent out soldiers with dogs who found the meat, which I saw the next day at Mr. Anstey's. The head and skin had been covered over at the place where the sheep was killed, but the next day it was brought to Mr. Anstey's. When the sheep was killed, Fielding said " we must plant the skin or it will sell us!" I know it was the same one exhibited at Mr.Anstey's. When we first saw the flock, Newton said " they are Fisk's sheep."

John Bowden and several other persons were then called, by whom in every important respect the last witness was corroborated ; and, after an impressive charge from His Honour the CHIEF JUSTICE, who with his usual care, minuteness, and perspicuity, re-capitulated all the evidence, the Jury re-turned a verdict of--Guilty.

New Norfolk

Unravelling the story of the relationship between John and Eliza may never prove totally successful, but it began with an item in the Hobart press in 1836. 
Colonial Times (Hobart, Tas. : 1828 - 1857), Tuesday 3 May 1836, page 8
Hobart, Town Police Report. Tuesday, April 26
Eliza Bowden complained of her husband having threatened to assault and beat her. This was one of the most barefaced cases of depravity imaginable. It was proved that this base woman, whose husband is a most respectable young man, had lived for a length of time a most debauched and dissipated life with another man, and all attempts on the part of her injured husband and his friends to reclaim her had proved futile. The husband's object on this occasion was to obtain his child, about two years old, which he did, and without the least, violence, although she swore she was in fear of some bodily harm he would do unto her.

So audacious was this woman's conduct during the investigation, that although the parties had been married for years, she exultingly declared the little offspring was not his child. The husband, like a man, knowing it to have been born in wedlock, expressed his determination to keep it, and preserve it from the dreadful example it had escaped. This woman still persisted she was in fear of her life from her dutiful husband, and the magistrate regretted that as such was the case, had no alternative but to hold him to bail, and would take his personal security, and only award him to pay his own costs.

The child in question is no doubt, Eliza Bowden.  Eliza was born in 1834, and was two years old in 1836.  The statements indicate that Eliza Jillett was a "debauched" woman, who had lived in a relationship with another man for some time.

The question remains then, "who was the other man?" and what became of Eliza Bowden, both of them!

By 1839, mail was being held at the Tasmanian office for Mrs Eliza Bowden.  The assumption can be made that she had left Tasmania.

It would seem that after Eliza Jillett had had her day in court, that John Bowden had his daughter with him. 

In 1840, John sailed with his brother-in-law, Thomas Jillett on the brig Gardner to Melbourne.
Were they looking for Eliza?  Or were they looking for his brother?
From then for the next four years he was in a lengthy dispute with his brother William, regarding cattle station, wages and employees.   He was also chasing for payment of a debt William had made before leaving Tasmania.

"Understanding Mr John Bowden has been trying to negotiate with several parties my promissory note for upwards of One Hundred Pounds, dated nearly four years back.  I hereby caution all parties against the same as it has been paid by me long since.  On the contrary his is due merely his acceptances in my favour a very considerable amount."
By 1843, he had secured a lease at Portland Bay, and by November 1844 he had married Catherine Crow.


With Catherine he had the following children
1.      Jane Bowden                            1844 - 1903
2.      Maria Stanfield Bowden            1844 - 1876
3.      John Bowden                            1848
4.      Emma Bowden                         1849 - 1906
5.      Sarah Cameron Bowden            1851
6.      Margaret Bowden                     1853 - 1902
7.      Edward Stockdale Bowden        1854 - 1929
8.      Ann Elizabeth Bowden                         1855 - 1894
9.      Ellen Bowden.                          1859 - 1859

He moved to Penola in South Australia.   Here he ran a pub and was regularly mentioned in the papers for his "hospitality".

With his family he sold the first pub and then opened another at Kincraig.  He died in 1862, and by 1864 his Catherine has had a child with William Edward Enniskielen Coles, who was an accountant in the town of Narracoorte.  He appears to have taken over the running of the hotel, and he also became bankrupt.

The area was settled in 1842 by the pioneer squatter George Ormerod. Two years later in 1845 William MacIntosh, a prosperous Scot who owned most of the land around the site of the present township, decided to establish a township. He named the town Kincraig after his birthplace in Scotland and duly built a hotel and a store hoping to attract settlers to the town.

South Australian Register (Adelaide, SA : 1839 - 1900), Wednesday 19 January 1859, page 3
PENOLA.  [From a Correspondent]  Penola, January 10.
It is refreshing to the traveller, when journeying over the vast tract of sterile and healthy country from Casterton on the Glenelg River to this place, to view the goodly land surrounding the pretty little thriving township, the trim the trim and neatly laid-out gardens with flowers and fruit in profusion, the substantial stone edifices— such as tho Catholic Church— rapidly approaching completion— the Court-House and Police barracks, several minor edifices, the Church of England erection of wood, and last, though not least, the sung hostelry of host John Bowden— the Royal Oak— with its capacious stabling and appurtenance. The worthy proprietor may well lay claim, in conjunction with Alexander Cameron, to the title of one of the "Pilgrim Fathers" both having arrived and settled down with sheep, within a short period of each other, some ten years ago.
Some time since a considerable quantity of land was surveyed by the Government and subdivided into convenient lots for agricultural purposes, and the usual notice having been given to the adjacent squatters it is anticipated that the sales will take place in March or April. The country around Penola has an advantage, which the land near the Mount does not possess, In the facility of obtaining an abundant supply of good water, which has been obtained In the township at a depth of 15 feet whereas the sinking at the Mount is carried to a much greater depth. On the plains, sinking to the depth of six feet will obtain water. There are abundance of swamps, many of which give permanent supplies throughout the year. What was, then, ten years since a wilderness will, by the plodding industry, energy, and perseverance of the Anglo-Saxon raw, when these rich lands are cultivated, 'blossom as the rose.' The Penolians have a bright future- in store should they embrace ' the opportunities and combat obstructives and incapables.
Let them, therefore, get the lands unlocked before seed time, look to the senator who represents them for their share of the good things, such as the contemplated tramway between Mount Gambicr and Gulchen Bay, the extension of the electric telegraph, and other advantages within their reach. The attainment of their present position, without agricultural resource proves beyond doubt the capabilities of their splendid district, and contrasts favourably with the neighbouring townships of Casterton, Horsham, and Balmoral, on the other side of the border. Above all, let them honour and credit those veteran pioneers, comprising honest Sandie, enter prising Bowden, sturdy hospitable Leake of Glcncoe. amiable, kind-hearted Mas of the Schanck, and such others as have not yet wound up their mortal coil, and who pushed onward their flocks and herds, thereby encountering the dangers and perils of the wilds, and in the first instance through their instrumentality developing those resources which, may benefit hundreds yet unborn.
The annual races commence on the 1st February, when some first-rate sport is anticipated. The following horses are training at the Royal Oak stables :-Haphasard, Little John, and Lady Struan. Robertson, owner Bonny Dundee, Mullaly; Woodbine, Henty, Bonda, brewer, Field Marshal and Prince of Wales, McArthur; Life Guardsman, Bowden ; Nancy, Carmichael; and I be with you, Gill. The stewards are Mesers. Alexander Cameron, George Glenn, and Highway Jones. Apsley annual races take place on Tuesday next, I understand that many of the crack horses enumerated above are already entered. The township of Apsley is on the Victoria side of the boundary ; I shall endeavour to send you a report. There is some talk of a public meeting being held here for the purpose of petitioning the Governor to grant us a branch of the telegraph. The contemplated tramway and a grant for the public road is also to be brought before the meeting. I will send you a report.
Mr. John Mclntyre, one of our oldest pioneers, has lately sold his station at Mount Schanck, with 28,000 sheep, to Mr. Fisher, of Adelaide. I hear the price realized is 14s, a head. The splendid Glencoe property, belonging to Mr. R. Ronald Leake, J.P., it now assuming quite the appearance of a town.
Arrived in Penola in 1849

John Bowden, Prince of Wales, pub
South Australian Register (Adelaide, SA : 1839 - 1900), Wednesday 27 April 1859, page 3
The 24th and 25th of May promise to be gala days in Penola There will be an extensive sale of thoroughbred horse stock, which has been selected by the esteemed Hastings Cunninghame; and as the family of Sportsman's blood is well known, and as that celebrated entire is to be brought under the persuasive eloquence of Friend Burrows, our new Knight of the hammer squatters and others desirous of obtaining good blood In their studs should attend. I understand the worthy auctioneer will also bring forward some house and landed property, belonging to that decent old pioneer Host John Bowden. The mare, colts, and fillies are the propony of Mr. David Power, and buyers, should muster strongly on this important occasion, which seldom or rarely occurs in this thriving little place. On the 25th, the following day, several private matches are to be run for on the Penola Racecourse, and rumour says mine host of the Royal Oak will wind up with a Ball and supper.

The first Europeans to the area were the Austin brothers who arrived in 1840 and established a run of 109 square miles (282 km²). The first settlers were Scottish-born Alexander Cameron and his wife Margaret in January 1844 after obtaining an occupation licence. In April 1850, Cameron obtained 80 acres (0.3 km²) of freehold land (his station was on a pastoral lease) and established the private town of Panoola, later known as Penola.
By 1850, he had built the Royal Oak Hotel and was doing much business supplying liquor to the many travellers passing through to the Victoria goldfields. Penola Post Office opened around 1852

The first Europeans to the area were the Austin brothers who arrived in 1840 and established a run of 109 square miles (282 km²). The first settlers were Scottish-born Alexander Cameron and his wife Margaret in January 1844 after obtaining an occupation licence. In April 1850, Cameron obtained 80 acres (0.3 km²) of freehold land (his station was on a pastoral lease) and established the private town of Panoola, later known as Penola.
By 1850, he had built the Royal Oak Hotel and was doing much business supplying liquor to the many travellers passing through to the Victoria goldfields. Penola Post Office opened around 1852

Could  this be young Eliza Bowden?

In 1857, an Eliza Smithy Bowden, applied to the Destitute Board in South Australia for assistance.  She had two young children and her husband had deserted her.  She had been in the colony for eight years.   Arrival would have been 1849.   Children were 4 and 2, both girls

Then there follows stories regarding Elizabeth Bowden, in Victoria, where her uncle, in 1880, puts and advertisement in the newspapers.  Followed by a death notice in 1906, which indicates she is the half sister of Emma Bowden, who had died.  Eliza was noted as living at Mt Gambier and Penola.

THE NEWS OF THE DAY. The Age (Melbourne, Vic. : 1854 - 1954) Saturday 23 August 1862
In 1862, there was a hearing in the Magistrates Court in Collingwood, Melbourne by Elizabeth Bowden, against H. Chessley.  She had been induced to leave her husband by Chessley 10 years ago, and had illegitimate children with him.   She was seeking support.
Gippsland Times (Vic. : 1861 - 1954) Tuesday 22 November 1864 p 3 Article
UNLAWFULLY ASSAULTING. ELIZA BOWDEN v. - WIER. From the evidence given in this case it appeared that the two wives who reside somewhere in the neighbourhood of Sale, had each a number of geese and goslings and hens. It would seem that the hens had been in the habit of laying in each other's nests, and the geese kept company in the most friendly manner. This did very well until by an unlucky mischance the ladies quarrelled, and then came the difficulty to keep the geese separate and the hens to lay in their own proper nests. Angry words (and some of the words were very angry, and unsuitable for ears polite), led to blows. They caught each other by the hair of the head, knocked each other down, and other unlady-like actions.

 In the evening, when the husband of Mrs Weir re turned, he went to Mrs Bowden, apparently with the object of throwing oil on the troubled waters, but he alleged Mrs Bowden spat in his face, and told him he had no right to interfere with womens' quarrels. Mrs Bowden alleged Weir struck her. This Weir denied. But by the evidence, and after making due allowance for exaggeration, there seemed to have been blows freely given and taken on all sides. But, without exception, Mrs Bowden is gifted with powers of speech beyond anything ever we had the fortune to listen to.
The volubility and speed with she gave her evidence was truly surprising. For the space of about fifteen minutes, and apparently without a breath, she spoke with a rapidity perhaps never equalled in any witness box, until the Bench, no doubt, afraid of con sequences, requested her to take a little breathing time. The Bench, after hearing all sides, ruled that whatever was the provocation, Weir had no right to strike a woman, and fined him 5s.
Ovens and Murray Advertiser (Beechworth, Vic. : 1855 - 1918), Saturday 18 December 1869, page 2
Henrietta Bassett v Eliza Bowden; for using indecent language in a public place. — 'Mr O'Donnell for plaintiff. — The plaintiff said , she remembered the 29th November. Was near her own' house, in a public place. Saw. defendant. She came up to her, and said she was a rotten thing. My husband was there, I, did not reply to her. She has frequently annoyed me. She addressed my husband also.— By defendant : I did not say', put' that crawler off, meaning the defendant as a crawler. — The plaintiff said the defendant lived near her and had frequently annoyed her. The husband of plaintiff, deposed that he was a miner. Was present on the 29th November. Saw defendant that day opposite my door. She addressed my wife saying go inside you yellow w......I  threatened to put her in a waterhole.
She has frequently annoyed - me and my wife lately. The language was used in a public place. ' By defendant : You did not challenge me to fight.— Mrs Chynowath deposed in answer to defendant that she heard Mr Bassett say go away you rotten cripple, alluding to the defendant (Mrs Bowden). She did not hear Mrs Bowden calling Mrs Bassett names,— Case dismissed

Ovens and Murray Advertiser (Beechworth, Vic. : 1855 - 1918), Thursday 14 September 1876, page 2
James Taylor was charged with wilfully and publicly exposing his person. Eliza Bowden deposed that she remembered tho 10th August ; the defendant came to her place, and asked for a drink of water; (witness here mentioned tho offence threatened to stab him ; ran over to Mr Anderson's, and told his wife. To defendant : Am not living far from tho public road; cannot see Anderson's place from mine; it was about 10 or 11 o'clock in the morning. Wm. Anderson remembered the 10th August ; in consequence of a statement made to me by my wife, I went to see the defendant, and asked him what he had boon doing to Mrs Bowden; he replied, I admit I have been a little foolish he referred to a letter that  plaintiff had sent to one G. Neley. asking him to call at her, house as she had no one to advise with when her husband was away! To defendant: It was about two o'clock when 'I heard it. ; The plaintiff is quarrelsome and does not agree with her husband ; 'she- has a bad name; To the Bench  Do not mean that she is a loose woman,  but bad tempered. . To the defendant. Have known you some years ; never heard '' anything 'against your moral character. : To the Bench : When defendant said he had acted foolishly did not understand him to mean  indecently, but thought he had  reference to the letter. The Bench said there was nothing but the woman's statement. Case dismissed.
Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1957), Monday 30 August 1880, page 1
IF this should meet tho eye of Eliza, maiden name BOWDEN, daughter of John and Eliza Bowden, formerly of Tasmania, and last known at Mount Gambier, will apply to her uncle she will hear of something, to her advantage Thomas Jillett, Fernhill, Flemington,

The death notice of one Emma Bowden, half sister of Eliza.
JONES (nee Bowden).—On the 1st November, at 57 Power-street, Hawthorn (suddenly), Emma, dearly loved wife of W. Pickering Jones, and daughter of the late John Bowden, formerly of Tasmania and Penola; also half-sister to Eliza Bowden, late of Mount Gambier and Penola, South Australia, aged 57. Tasmanian papers please copy.
The second pub was at Mosquito Creek which was later named Kincraig, then Naracoorte.
It was until the early 1850s, and the discovery of gold in Victoria, that the town began to grow. The gold escorts made their way across South Australia to the coast. It became an important stopover point and, at various times, the town was awash with miners moving to and from the diggings. It is said that in one year more than 7000 Chinese (presumably many of those who had been illegally dropped at The Coorong) passed through the town on their way to the diggings.
It wasn't until 1869 that Kincraig officially became Naracoorte. At the time it was recorded that 'Kincraig, Narracoorte, Skyetown and Mosquito Plains ... these several names refer to one township ...' had decided to adopt one name Narracoorte. Even that spelling would eventually change.
In spite of these developments Naracoorte developed slowly. Local government was proclaimed in 1870 when the town had a population of around 900. It wasn't until 1875 that it had its first newspaper.

Could this be Elizabeth Jillett?   or Eliza Bowden

The Oxley Family

2.     Susannah Bowden married John Oxley.  He was a convict who arrived on the Moffatt in 1837.  He had been tried at Yorkshire in 1816 In 1835 he was tried for Larceny and a felony and imprisoned for 12 months.    1836 He was tried for Larceny 22 October 1836 and acquitted, third time in 1837 was unlucky.  He was transported for stealing copper, and spent time on the Hulk Fortitude, at Chatham.    He found his new home in Tasmania.
Their Children
2.1                       John Oxley         1854 - 1937    m  Annie Charlton  1859 - 1957
2.2                       Sarah Oxley        1860  - 1898   m  James Thomas Heather 1854 - 1939
2.3                        George Oxley      1869  - 1929
2.4                        Clara Ada Oxley  1874 - 1922  m  Thomas Hough 1873 - 1918

John and Annie Oxley Family
       2.1.1         John Oxley                   1881
       2.1.2         Harry Oxley                  1883
       2.1.3         Archibald Oxley            1887 -   1967    m         Margaret Burns
       2.1.4         Thomas Claude Oxley   1891     1915  (NZ Army)
       2.1.5         Elsie Rosa Oxley           1893                 m         Albert Richard Burns
       2.1.6         Clement Lemont Oxley 1897 -  1946    m         Hilda Mary Williams 1907 - 1977
       2.1.7         Eric Oxley                    1899 -  1960     m         Constance Heeney   1908 - 1985
       2.1.8         George Ernest Oxley     1920-   1940     m         Pearl Irene Delliver 1908 - 1969
       2.1.9         Percy Oxley                  1902 -  1966
       2.1.10       Horace Raymond Oxley 1905 -  1923

2.2  Sarah Oxley and James Heather, a Mariner were married in 1883.  Sara was a servant, and both were full age.  He was born in 1854, his father James Heather a boatman at Adventure Bay Bruny Island.  His mother was Mary Ann.       His father was a convict and arrived on the Earl Grey in 1842
He may have had a brother Henry, who was a Mariner, and involved in a shipwreck in 1902
On 31 May 1902, under the command of then owner Henry Heather, hit submerged rocks while attempting to get underway from Bicheno.

In 1884 they were living at the Swan Island Lighthouse, as their daughter Caroline was born there. Swan Island, part of the Waterhouse Island Group, is a 239-hectare (590-acre) granite island situated in Banks Strait, part of Bass Strait, lying close to the north-eastern coast of Tasmania, Australia.

Their children were
2.2.1     Caroline Heather                       1884 -  1944     m         William Gillham   1882 - 1961 
2.2.2     James Thomas Heather             1886 - 1952      m         Esther Ann Clark  1889- 1986
2.2.3     George Henry Heather              1888 - 1957     m         Minnie Watkins 1903 - 1988
2.2.4     William Heather                       1890- 1970       m         Ivy Allen  1899 - 1977
2.2.5     Albert Heather                          1892 - 1898
2.2.6     Henry Heather                          1893 - 1943      m         Mabel Lancaster  1900 - 1960
2.2.7     Evelyn Charlotte Heather          1898 - 1978
2.2.8     Mavis Estelle Heather                1899 -1899     

Caroline Heather and William Gillham
    Evelyn Sarah Gillam       1913 - 1979    m         Thomas Townsend+
    Sheila Jean Gillam        1916 - 1988      m         Riseley

James Thomas Heather and Esther Ann Clark  James Thomas Heather             1909     1975  Vina Lavinia Heather                1911 - 1984  Sheila Mary Heather                 1913 - 1965      m         Keith William Hayward  1939 -1976  Eunice Brittania Heather          1915  - 2003     m         Lyall Albert Ward  1907 - 1982  Royal Maurice Heather             1916- 1994       m         Nellie May Rodman

George Heather and Minnie Watkins  George Heather  Dulcie Jean Heather                  1923 - 1988      m         Raymond Nelson-Beck  Jean Kay Heather                      1930 - 2014      m         Sidney Lyle Burgess  1925 - 2010  Kevin James Heather                1939 - 2007

William Heather and Ivy Allen  Enid Mae Heather                     1922 - 2002      m         Geoff Walker  Arthur William Heather                        1926 - 1991      m         Gloria Smith    (WW2)  Margaret Heather                      1940 - 2003      m         Ronald Ratenbury

Henry Heather and Mabel Lancaster  Henry Kenneth Heather                        1923 - 1941   Mavis Estelle Heather              1925 - 1999      m  Alfred Charles Stuart Butler  1920 - 1971

4.  Clara Ada Oxley married Thomas Benjamin Hough in 1892
Thomas was the son of convict Thomas Hough who arrived on the John Renwick in 1843, and Julia Hannah White, whose father was Benjamin White, arrived China 1846, and Susannah Parry who arrived the Duchess of Northumberland in 1853.

Thomas and Clara moved to New South Wales and their children were

4.1       Clara Ada Hough 1892 - 1922  m  Ewan Francis Toner 1891 - 1916
4.2       Gladys Hough  1894 - 1980     m  Percy Samuel Charles  18874 - 1954
4.3       Harold Thomas Monty Hough  1897 -1953  m  Rita Alberta Evans 1895 -1988
4.4       William Sydney Hough  1900 - 1942      m  Margaret Smith 1906
4.5       Estelle Doris Hough 1902 - 1987           m  Walter Meredith  1902 - 1971
4.6       Maud Illare Hough   1907                     m Henry Victor Frances              1905
4.7       George Henry Hough  1910 - 1959        m  Valerie Joy Brophy 1902 and Ethel Pollard 1902 -                                                                                                                                   1931
4.8       Thelma Eliz Rose Hough   1913            m  Frederick Burrows and Weston Meredith 1909
4.9       Alfred John Hough  1915 - 1975                        m  Edith Mary Allen  1911
4.7.1     George Brian Hough     d 1938
4.7.2     William Sydney Hough             d 1983 
4.7.3     John Thomas Hough     1924 - 1990      m         Norma Hadlow
4.7.4     Margaret Hough           1926  -  2008    m    William Leonard Willock  1919 - 2005
4.7.5  Joyce Claire Hough         1927 - 2013      m  David Charles Chilcott   d 1949
4.7.6     Raymond Terrence Hough  1942 - 2010

New Mill At Cockle  Creek
Smith and Heather are moving their mill to Cockle Creek. The new mill will be larger, and should be working for many years. It is hoped the mill will result In more attention being given roads in the district. They have fallen in disrepair since the Catamaran coal mine has been closed.
Mercury (Hobart, Tas. : 1860 - 1954), Wednesday 23 July 1952, page 16

Glen Huon sawmill, operated entirely by electricity, will turn out 300,000 fruit containers for the 1953 sea-son, and ultimately will slice and recondition case material.

Built by Mr. G. Heather, formerly of Cockle Creek, one of  Tasmania's best known timber men, the big mill was established as part of the set-up of . Brown's Fruit Juices Pty. Ltd., and is managed by Mr. S. T. Brown.
Apart from stepping up future production, the venture, with a bush and mill, strength of 20 men, - means a wage output of more than £200 a week in the district.
Huge logs, drawn from the big Arve-Picton forest area recently tapped by the Forestry Commission's new road, are broken down on a frame, and fletched up on a Canadian bench. The mill contains two breast benches and two docking benches.
Because the mill was not ready for production until February, only 20,000 cases were produced last season, but the plant is capable of turning out more than 300,000 containers.
Adequate provision has been made for the proper seasoning of case material to ensure a sound, attractive container, and 50,000 cases in shooks ""already are stacked in the spacious drying yard.

Cockle Creek 
Cockle Creek sits on beautiful Recherche Bay at the edge of the Tasmanian Wilderness World Heritage Area and is the furthest point south that one can drive in Australia.
Once a settlement with over 2,000 residents, its rich history is found today in Aboriginal sites, abandoned tramways, gravestones and ruins.
These days it's a departure point for treks into the South West National Park with no shops or services, only a large campsite with plenty of nearby attractions and great walking tracks.
A simple stroll along the beach at Recherche Bay is enough to take in the peace, quiet and beauty of this remote place.   Continue to the Fishers Point Navigation Light and Pilot Station ruins and take the well-marked track to South East Cape for stunning cliff-top views of the Southern Ocean and Maatsuyker Island.
Cockle Creek and the wilderness beyond feels like the end of the world, and that's a very good thing.
Cockle Creek is a 2-hr drive (148 km) south of Hobart via Geeveston.

Heather - Smith Four bridesmaids dressed in blue attended Gloria Marion Smith for her marriage to Arthur William Heather at St. David's Cathedral, Hobart, on March 19.
The bride is the second daughter of Mr. and Mrs. A. H. Smith, Lune River, and the bridegroom is the eldest son of Mr. and Mrs. W. Heather, Sorell.
The Rev. G. Latta officiated.
The bride wore a gown of white embossed satin featuring lily-point sleeves, fitting bodice, and heart-shaped neckline. Her veil of embroidered tulle was caught to the head with a coronet of orange blossom.
The attendants were Mrs. E. Jager, the bride's sister, Miss Leona Smith, the bridegroom's sister, Miss Enid Heather, and Miss B. Bradley.
Their bouffant taffeta frocks were identically styled with full skirts and sweetheart necklines caught to the side with clusters of pink flow-ers. Their matching headdresses were of blue tulle and pink flowers.
The flower girl was Lynette Jager, niece of the bride. Her frock was made on the same lines as the bridesmaids'.
The bridegroom's brother, Mr. A. Heather, was best man. Messrs. H. Jager, S. Casimaty, and J. Pearton were groomsmen.
Afterwards guests were entertained at the Wentworth.
Mr. and Mrs. Heather will live at Sorell.

John Charles Butler WWI

Mercury (Hobart, Tas. : 1860 - 1954), Wednesday 25 February 1953, page 2
George Heather (63), well known former Catamaran sawmiller, had his right arm severed in a milling accident at Glen Huon, about 3.30 p.m. yester-day.
He is in the Royal Hobart Hospital. His condition last night was serious.
Heather, who is employed at Mr. S. C. Brown's modern electric mill, was operating a large vertical saw, which breaks down logs into billets.
He was adjusting the mechanism when the machinery started up and slashed his right arm above the elbow.
He was treated by Dr. H. P. Coats, of Huonville, before being taken to hospital.
Mr. Heather and his family, who have been engaged in milling at Catamaran and other Esperance forest areas for many years, built a fishing boat before coming to Glen Huon about two years ago.

Mercury (Hobart, Tas. : 1860 - 1954), Wednesday 19 August 1953, page 19
The loss of his right arm does not prevent 65-year-old George Heather, of Glen Huon, from turning out craftsmanship work in carpentry. "He is pictured here ready to resume work on the dinghy (in background) he is building!
PHYSICAL hardship is no bar to a full and active life, provided you have the courage of genial 65-year-old Huon Valley man George Heather, of Glen Huon.
Prom the fateful February day when a huge saw at an electric mill severed his right arm above the elbow. George Heather has scorned adversity. His admirable philosophy of "Look on the bright side and keep straight ahead" he has carried out to tine letter.  Exactly 18 days after his accident Mr. Heather was at the Huon Valley apple festival.
"Keep smiling; that is one of the main things in life," Mr. Heather said yesterday, when he told the story of how, within six weeks of hospital discharge, he had built himself an artificial right arm, constructed a perfectly shaped stock for a gun, and then tackled the big job of building a dinghy.
His wooden arm was praised by a well - known Hobart bone specialist, so thorough and exacting was the workmanship displayed, especially in the manipulation of the elbow joint.
Mr. Heather yesterday demonstrated how ably he can wield a file, rasp or hook by screwing the tool into the block of his artificial limb. He de-signed and made this device.
When Mr. Heather was sawmilling at Cockle Creek before moving to Glen Huon about three years ago, he built the Marrawah, a splendid fishing boat. 37ft. overall, with a 12ft. beam.  His fisherman son Noel uses the boat, and recently went be-yond Port Davey.
The dinghy Mr. Heather is building, a 13ft. 6in. craft, with a 5ft¡. 6in. beam, will be used for crayfishing from the Marrawah.  And so skilled is Mr. Heather at his work that the sturdy dinghy of marine ply and pine is already half completed.
It is little wonder that Mr. Heather is well versed in the use of tools and machinery, for he has been sawmilling and building most of his life.  He managed big mills at Meads Creek and Cockle Creek before going to Queenstown for five years in 1928.
One of his proud possessions is a letter from former manager of the Mt. Lyell Co. (the late Mr. R. M. Murray) congratulating him on : his "ingenuity and skill" in designing and bringing into successful operation a matching bench for cutting raining timber.
When Mr. Heather returned from Queenstown to Cockle Creek three of his five daughters, Dulcie, Nancy and Jean, showed their outstanding skill in the bush by felling trees and assisting in every phase of milling activity.
Besides building his boat Mr. Heather still gives Mr. Stan. Brown a hand in his sawmill.
Jean Heather Burgess

Awarded for Service to the Community
Born: 1930

Died: 2014

Entered on roll: 2007

Jean Heather Burgess was born in Queenstown and moved to Recherche Bay with her family when she was three years old. She spent most of her life living and working in the Huon Municipality. Her family, the Heathers, has a proud heritage with the region's timber industry, and has operated sawmills at Moss Glen and Cockle Creek. Jean married Sid Burgess in 1950 and had six children - five sons and a daughter.
Jean began work at her father's sawmill during World War II. At 15, she was racking the laths used in lathen plaster walls. At 16, due to the shortage of male workers through the war years, Jean started working in the bush. Under the supervision of their father Jean, her sister Nancy and brother George, would go into the bush and fell giant stringy bark trees to supply the mill. They used only cross cut saws and axes, with Jean taking the left-handed axe position.
The felled timber was extracted by a log hauler and carted along a tramway by tractor back to the mill. The family built the tramway which extended almost two kilometres into the forest. When not working in the bush, Jean worked in the mill. The flywheel for the mill is still at Cockle Creek, with an interpretative display which features articles on the mill and extracts from an interview with Jean.
As an adult, Jean was involved in many community activities. Her involvement with the Pensioners Union was long standing. She was Secretary and President of the Pensioners Union of Esperance. She was an active member of the Huon Eldercare committee and involved in Meals on Wheels and community transport. Through Jean's community leadership, the Tasmanian Government has assisted in the provision of a car to provide community transport in the region.
The Huon Valley community held Jean in high esteem because of her involvement in, and promotion of the area. She was a member of the Southern Spinners group that produced the interpretative tapestry on display at the Tahune Airwalk. She was involved in the Geeveston Streetscape project that beautified the town centre and restored pride in the town after harsh economic times. Jean also volunteered at the local heritage centre and was part of the Geeveston Green Jacket group, a voluntary non-profit group which provides a rostered guide/greeting service to the Esperance Forest and Heritage Centre. She was active in the Friends of the Community Bank Committee that established the first community bank in the State.
Jean had a deep knowledge of the area's environment and was an active member of the Huon Resource Development Group. She always displayed an optimistic outlook for her community and made a major contribution to the community's self esteem.
Jean passed away in February 2014.

Brother of James Thomas Heather and Sarah Oxley
Mercury (Hobart, Tas. : 1860 - 1954), Wednesday 30 December 1942, page 5

Capt W. Heather
Capt William Heather who died at Hobart on Sunday, aged 75 years, was the youngest son of the late Mr and Mrs James Heather, and was a member of a family long associated with water trading activities in the South of Tasmania. Born at Port Davey, as a young man he engaged in logging operations in that area and afterwards on the West Coast. At that time he was a well-known boxer and contested the Tasmanian' championship on more than one occasion. He took his master's certificate and throughout his career combined timber-getting and milling with river trading. In 1899 he married Miss Myra Maud Fisher, of Leprena, and subsequently made his home at Bellerive.

His wife predeceased him 15 years ago. He was associated with the river ketches Katherine, Heather Belle, and Speedwell in trade between Hobart and outports, and sailed in the Terra Linna when she was delivered to the Victorian Fisheries Commissioners. He was a well-known figure at Hobart regattas and in earlier years was cox-swain to the family four-oared crew consisting of his brothers James, Henry, Anthony, and George. For years after the death of his wife, he lived in boats of which he was the master. In recent years he made his home with his nephew, Mr Clyde Heather. He is survived by his sons, Messrs Richard Heather of Nugent, and Osmond Heather, of Melbourne, and his daughter, Miss Myra Heather, of Melbourne.

The funeral was held yesterday at Cornelian Bay. The service was con-ducted by the Rev F. J. McCabe. The chief mourners were his sons and daughter, his nephews, Messrs Charles, Leslie, and James Heather, and Mr J Button, Miss Marie Heather (niece), Messrs Royal. Cyril, and Alvin Heather (greatnephews). Others present were Capts Sward and Madden. Representatives of the Bellerive Football Club, with which Mr Osmond Heather formerly played, were at the graveside.
The funeral arrangements were con-ducted by Clark Bros.

No comments:

Post a Comment