Thursday, August 9, 2018

B14 Branches The Wigmore/Welland Lineage


Branches of the Jillett/Bradshaw Family


John Jillett Lineage


The Wigmore Family






They called Ireland home


A request from one of the Jillett cousins, to learn a little more about Rev Thomas Wigmore, who married Ellen Welland, and came to Australia as a free man, in 1841, was the catalyst for this new story.  His daughter Ellen Wigmore married Robert Whiteway.   Their daughter Ellen Whiteway married John Jillett,grand son of Robert Jillett and Elizabeth Bradshaw (Creamer).  John was the son of John Jillett

It is my belief that history needs to be shared.  I am not one for finding things out, then keeping them under lock and key and never giving others the chance of learning of their ancestors.

My focus on research has been the "stories behind the stories".

The story of Rev Thomas Wigmore and Ellen Welland is one of those.

Time to travel back in time to Ireland.  In particular the area around Cork.  The year? 1790's


It is important to understand some Irish history.  During the war of 1691, the lands were removed from the traditional owners, and given by King James to wealthy English Lords.  The Catholic could not own land, but worked on the many estates owned by absentee landlords, who had "managers" appointed to maintain their estates.

The marriage of Thomas Wigmore and Ellen Welland joined two such Church of Ireland families.

Much of the story also centres around one of the most difficult times in Ireland, the potato famine.



The Rev. Thomas Wigmore 1794 - 1870


Not only was Rev. Thomas Wigmore and interesting person, but his whole life story is a rich and full one.  But to follow the lives of Thomas and his family, and to ensure the correct lineage is followed, his story is expanded to his wider family.


Thomas married Ellen Welland.

Ellen was born in c1794 in Cork in Ireland.  The daughter of William Welland Esq and his wife Eleanor Harrington.

William and Eleanor were married in 1793.

William
Last name
Welland
Year
1793
Diocese
Cloyne
Spouse's first name(s)
Eleanor
Spouse's last name
Harrington
Record set
Ireland Diocesan and Prerogative Marriage Licence Bonds indexes 1623-1866
Category
Life Events (BDMs)
Subcategory
Marriages & divorces
Collections from
Ireland
They had several children:

1.  William Welland              
                                      born 1795             d 1864
          
2.  Joseph Welland                born 1798             he married Sophia Mills and he died in 1860.                           
                In 1830 their address was Upper Seeson St Dublin. His 3 sons, went to Trinity College

3.  Ellen Welland                   born c 1798          married Thomas Wigmore   She died 1833

4.  Henry Nelson Welland       born 1808             In 1853   He died in 1865 in Middletown, Ireland.

                                     He leased property in Inchinabacky, Cork, according to Griffins rolls.

5.  Charles William Welland   born 1809             1857   


The Welland family were involved with the Church of Ireland, and many of the family became extremely important members of the church and the community.

They married members of the Clergy, which was a common theme in those times.

They also observed the tradition of naming patterns for the children.  



1.   William Welland was became a Reverend in the Church of Ireland.


 He had a daughter Ellen Henrietta Welland born 1838 died 1893. 
          Ellen married Rev Llewyln Nash.
https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-SNioTOlfkxE/VsJjEvhQIjI/AAAAAAAAq2E/0exiz8H3BfM/s200/Cloyne%2BCathedral.jpg
Rev Llewellyn Charles Nash

Cloyne Cathedral



Rector of Ballymartle Co Cork, married 12th May 1863 Ellen Henrietta daughter of Rev William Welland, late Rector of Ahabulloge and Aglishdrinagh and Preb. of Cloyne Cathedral 

By the mid-nineteenth century, the Primary Valuation of Ireland (Griffith's Valuation) records Reverend William Welland as occupying c. 30 acres in Aghavrin townland, which consisted of a 'house, offices, land and glebe', with the lessor being William Crooke of Aghavrin House. Reverend Welland also occupied c. 5 acres of plantation land, with the lessor again being William Crooke

He was also on the Board of Guardians for the Aghabullogue Workhouse.

Welland, William, Esq. , Deerpark , Killeagh, Broomfield


In 1858, Dec. 30, Llewellin Charles Nash, a.b., was licensed as Curate. P-R.] 1860. W. Welland, Incumbent. L. C. Nash, Curate. There is no font in this church. The glebe-house and offices in good order. Thirty acres of glebe in Rector's use, held at a very high rent. Divine service twice on all Sundays, and also on the chief festivals, &c. Sacrament monthly ; average of communicants is 11. No school ; the school-house is out of repair, and there are no poor children in the parish. The Protestant population is 66. Value of benefice, £441, rentcharge, and residence, &c. Mr. Welland is also Preb. Killenemer

Cathedral Church of St. Colman and Round Tower from 1873

Then there was an extremely talented Architect, Joseph.  He designed more than 100 churches in Ireland.  From this information details of his father's importance in the county can be seen.

WILLIAM WELLAND  , head agent to George Brodrick, fourth Viscount Midleton


Alan Brodrick, 1st Viscount MidletonPC (Ire) (c. 1656 – 29 August 1728) was a leading Anglo-Irish lawyer and politician of the early eighteenth century: he was Speaker of the Irish House of Commons and Lord Chancellor of Ireland. He was a man of great gifts, but so hot-tempered and passionate that even Jonathan Swift is said to have been afraid of him. He was the second son of Sir St John Brodrick of Ballyannan, near Midleton in County Cork, by his wife Alice (d.1696), daughter of Laurence Clayton of Mallow, County Cork, and sister of Colonel Randall Clayton MP, of Mallow. Brodick's father had received large land grants during the Protectorate, and thus the family had much to lose if the land issue in Ireland was settled to the satisfaction of dispossessed Roman Catholics.
He was educated at Magdalen College and the Middle Temple, being called to the English bar in 1678. Brodrick and his relatives fled Ireland during the Glorious Revolution. They were attainted under the rule of King James II in Ireland. In exile in England, Brodrick argued for a speedy reconquest.


Brodrick was the eldest son and heir of George Brodrick, 3rd Viscount Midleton (died 22 August 1765) and Albinia, the daughter of the Hon Thomas Townshend. The Brodricks were an English family that had settled in Ireland in the mid-17th century.






2.  Joseph Welland


Monaghan Court House
Architect to the Board of First Fruits and subsequently to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. Joseph Welland was born in Midleton, Co. Cork, on 8 May 1798. His father was WILLIAM WELLAND  , head agent to George Brodrick, fourth Viscount Midleton. 

Through the influence of Lord Midleton's brother Charles Brodrick, Archbishop of Cashel, Joseph became a pupil and subsequently an assistant to JOHN BOWDEN  , architect to the Board of First Fruits, in Dublin. Bowden also had a large secular practice, and Welland, according to his obituary in the Irish Builder,'enjoyed an extensive share of business' with responsibility for 'numerous works' including Monaghan gaol and court house. 

This would seem to suggest that after Bowden's death in 1821, Welland inherited at least some of his secular projects and clients. At the same time William Welland asked Brodrick to recommend Joseph as Bowden's successor in the Board of First Fruits post. 

After it had been decided that the position should be divided between four architects, each responsible for an ecclesiastical province, Joseph was given charge of the province of Tuam. He kept this position after the Board was reconstituted as the Ecclesiastical Commissioners in 1833 and retained it until 1837, when he was succeeded by GEORGE PAPWORTH  . 

Welland was then presumably allotted duties of a more general nature, and, when the architects' department was further reorganized and centralized in 1843, he was given sole responsibility for the whole country. It may have been at this point that the Commissioners introduced the requirement that their architect should undertake no outside work.(1)

Welland's obituarist in the Irish Builder states that he designed over 100 new churches as well as carrying out alterations and enlargements to existing structures, pointing out that although he had 'to contend against the difficulty imposed by limited funds at disposal ¦his designs are marked by a truthfulness and suitability of character, an effectiveness of detail and imposing proportions'.
Welland was married to Sophia Margaret, daughter of John Mills.(2) He sent four sons to Trinity College, Dublin,(3 ) the eldest of whom, Thomas James Welland (1830-1907), became Bishop of Down, Connor and Dromore.

 The second, WILLIAM JOHN WELLAND  , who was awarded the Diploma in Civil Engineering by Trinity College, Dublin, in 1854, worked as an architect with his father. Some of the designs produced in the last year of Joseph Welland's life are signed 'Joseph Welland & Son'.

Joseph Welland died on 6 March 1860 and was buried in St George's churchyard, Dublin. A month later William John Welland and WILLIAM GILLESPIE   were appointed joint architects to the Commissioners in his place.

St George's Dublin


Most of Welland's drawings are to be found in the Representative Church Body Library, Dublin. 

These consist of designs for a large number of new churches and church alterations, many survey drawings and several designs for glebe-houses in the province of Tuam. The list of Welland's works in this database has been compiled without examination of the RCB drawings and should not be regarded as definitive. 

It should be borne in mind that Welland may have signed designs (or office copies of designs) by other architects to denote his authorization rather than his authorship and that minor works and alterations may well have been left in the hands of local assistants, working to an approved 'house style'. Some churches have been listed under ECCLESIASTICAL COMMISSIONERS   where attribution is uncertain.





The present St. John’s Church was built in 1789 and substantially extended in 1854 by Joseph Welland. The medieval church which stood on this site was demolished in 1785 to allow for the building of the new church. All that remains of the earlier church is a column of stonework in the churchyard. It was built on the site of the old Monastery, some Medieval remains of which are still in the graveyard.




This site has photos of many of Joseph Welland's work.



Since 1843, St. Patrick’s Church Dalkey has dominated the granite outcrop above Bulloch Harbour, a great landmark in the surrounding area. In 1836 a need was felt to build a church for the growing population of Dalkey, Bulloch and Sandycove. Initially known as Dalkey Episcopal Chapel of Ease, within the Parish of Monkstown, it later became Dalkey Episcopal Church. The date of dedication to our Patron, St. Patrick, is uncertain.

 Numerous sites were examined, and finally the present site, which was offered free by the Ballast Board of Dublin Port (now Dublin Port Company) on land where they quarried stone to be shipped from Bulloch Harbour. Access was from the private Ballast Office Road (now Harbour Road). The consent of the Archbishop of Dublin for the building of the church was then obtained. In 1839 Jacob Owen won the design contract for a plan with 500 seats on the ground floor and 168 in the gallery, estimated cost £1600. After some further delay the building of the church by a Mr. Hickey began, with the Foundation Stone laid on 24th June 1840. Meanwhile, services were held in a temporary church on Mr. Porter’s land.

The church was completed in 1843 and the sermon at the opening service was preached by Richard Whately, Archbishop of Dublin, on Sunday, March 5th, of that year. It is unclear if the West (rear) and North Transept galleries were included in the original, or added soon afterwards, as it was always planned to increase the seating capacity later. However in 1853 it was decided to enlarge even further, and plans by Joseph Welland, Architect to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, were accepted at an estimated cost of £315. This added a South Transept gallery and access stairway, a small organ loft on the north side wall adjoining an enlarged West gallery, a new central three-decker pulpit, reader’s desk and Holy Table behind a curved communion rail, and a robing room on the ground where the chancel now stands.

In 1879 several structural alterations were made to the church. At that time there was no chancel of any kind, with the old-fashioned three-decker wooden pulpit and  straight-back box pews. The alterations comprised the addition of the present chancel, vestry room, organ chamber, and the re-pewing and redecorating of the entire church. These were to the design of Edward Carson, Architect, father of Sir Edward Carson. This work was completed in about ten months, during which the church was closed, re-opening on Sunday, December 14, 1879.






2. 1  Children of Joseph and Sophia

1.  Thomas James Welland, b 1830      d              1907   became a Bishop.
He married Anna Maria Catherine Brooke on 17 January 1867 in Witton Huntingdon in England.  Anna was the daughter of Rev. Richard Sinclair Brook and his wife Anna Stopford.  Anna died 1875

Name:
Right Rev Thomas James Welland
Gender:
Male
Residence:
Ardtulagh, Holywood, Co Down
Residence Year:
1897

In 1901, his daughter Anna Rosalind Welland was living with him.  Anna was born 1886.

His son was Rev. Cecil Brook Welland, he was curate at St Thomas's Portian Square London

His second daughter was Violet Brooke Welland.
   She married Rev John Connell rector of Clontarf, Dublin

He also had a son Stopford Welland born c 1875

2.2.   William John Welland        b 1832        d 1896  married Mary Irwin.  Mary was the daughter of Rev. Charles King Irwin and his wife Elizabeth Ensor.  She was born 1840 died 1913.


In the 1901 census the following record shows that Rev Charles William Welland was visiting.

Welland
Florence Ellen
31
Female
Daughter
Church of Ireland
Welland
Mary Elizabeth
61
Female
Head of Family
Church of Ireland
Quaile
Jane
46
Female
Servant
Roman Catholic
Bishop
Mary
27
Female
Servant
Roman Catholic
*Welland
Charles William
44
Male
Visitor
Church of Ireland

*That confirms his date of birth as 1857. 


2.3.  Ellen Welland                      b 1833      married Henry Shepard

2.4   Charles William                   b 1834     d 1864 



1.3  Henry Nelson Welland         He married Jane Turpin.  He had a son William Welland who                                                     married Francis Ann Oldham.


1.4   Charles William Welland   married Caroline Georgina Morgan in 1849


Charles William Died 22nd May 1857 at Tivoli Terrace

Charles and Henry seemed to be in a business relationship during their careers.  

According to the Irish Tithe records, the family leased numerous land holdings.




There is a death for Caroline Georgina Morgan in October 1888, where her executrix are Caroline Welland and Ellen Georgina Welland, suggesting that this is the same Caroline who married Charles.  She was quite wealthy.

Given the naming patterns it is assumed that the Rev Charles William Welland born 1856 is the son of Charles William Welland.

Caroline Welland did not marry and died in 1921
Ellen Georgina Welland did not marry and died in 1901

In her will, her beneficiaries were Caroline Welland and Rev Charles William Welland.





4.1   Charles William Welland.

According to Crockfords 1898 he was at the following Parishes

Charles William Welland,  "Wood-park" Rochestown Avenue Kingstown Ireland.  He matriculated Sen. Modern Literature in 1879.  The Church of Kill, The Mariners Church Kingstown, 1881 - 1889; Christ Church Kingstown 188 - 1889 all in Dublin.

He was a popular Cleric.

Charles William
Last name
Welland
Registration year
1917
Registered Quarter/Year
Oct - Dec 1917
Registration district
Rathdown
Volume
2
Page
793
County
-
MarriageFinder™
Charles William Welland married
Margaret Emma Binger
Record set
Irish Marriages 1845-1958
Category
Life Events (BDMs)
Subcategory
Marriages & divorces
Collections from
Ireland

Charles Welland became a Rector:

Kill O The Grange is the unusual name for an area near Blackrock in South County Dublin. The name is taken from the Irish language and means Church of the Granary, as the area was noted for its grain farms which supplied food for the great Monastic foundation of Christ Church Cathedral around which the city of Dublin was built. For over a 1000 years there has been a Christian Community in Kill O’The Grange. The present day Church is a lively and growing Christian Community housed in a beautiful 19th century church building.

The building of the present church in the early 1860s was part of a concerted programme of church-building in South County Dublin when after the building of the two railways in the 1830s increasing numbers of Church of Ireland people came to live in the area. Mariners’ Church and Christ Church in Dun Laoghaire were both consecrated in 1836, two years after the opening of the coastal railway, St. Patrick’s Dalkey in 1842, Holy Trinity Killiney in 1858, Kill 0′ the Grange, Tullow and St. John’s Monkstown in 1864, and St. Paul’s Glenageary in 1867.

Kill O’ the Grange Church, a simple and beautifully proportioned Victorian Gothic structure, has been enhanced over the years by the addition of various memorials, the most striking and beautiful being the memorial window behind the altar of Christ the Good Shepherd in memory of 
Charles Welland, rector of the parish for 34 years, from 1889 to 1923.

The earliest of such memorials were the pulpit and prayer desk, sculpted from Caen stone and Irish marble by the then church warden, Mr. W. Burnell, whose family name remains on the local marble works. It was erected in 1891 by the widow of the Rev. Thomas Power, former incumbent of Clashmore and Templeree in the diocese of Cashel, who had retired to Monkstown and worshipped regularly at Kill, “endearing himself alike to rich and poor”. The latest is the fine memorial window dedicated to the memory of all those parishioners who gave their lives in two world wars.

The glebe house war

The biggest and most putative issue ever handled by the Vestry probably made use of Rev. Thomas Wallace's earlier training as a  barrister. It concerned the glebe house occupied by the incumbent of Monkstown church, Rev. Ronald MacDonnell, and is even thought to have been the cause of a breakdown in his health, which was to force his absence from work for a year. Following disestablishment, a statute had been passed in General Synod that all incumbents should reside within their parish, in the glebe house if there was one, and if not, still within two miles of the church. Belfield House, the residence of Thomas Wallace, did not fulfil this requirement. In November 1872 a paper was prepared by the Select Vestry, contending that the Monkstown glebe house rightly belonged to Kill. To support this claim they stated:

The glebe house in question is at the very doors of Kill Church, and there is not within two miles of that church and at the same time within the parish a suitable house of residence to be procured. Monkstown's claim to purchase is altogether based on an imaginary right, arising out of a long possession of the glebe house and premises by the incumbents ... the claim by Monkstown cannot succeed, as the glebe is two miles from Monkstown church, and there are a number of suitable residences to be found within half a mile.

This was just the opening salvo in a protracted legal battle between the two churches. Among the documents Kill presented in support of their claim was a deed and map under the hand and seal of the Archbishop when the parish of Kill was created on 24th October 1860. Their argument was that neither the deed nor the map reserved the glebe residence from the newly created parish of Kill in favour of the incumbent of Monkstown.


The claim finally appeared to be successful, and towards the end of 1873, the Diocesan Council proposed that Kill should buy the glebe, however it was another three years before it was offered to them, at a price of £1,900. This offer was firmly rejected: Kill was prepared to pay £500, and no more! The Council replied that unless the parish closed with the offer made, the glebe would be sold, and the profits shared out between all the parishes of the old Monkstown Union, in proportions which reflected the dues paid to the Dean, pre disestablishment, in respect of each parish. In 1881, when the glebe was sold for £1,565 19s 10d, Kill received just £283 8s 3d. This money was held on Kill's behalf, to be used by them toward the later purchase or erection of a glebe house. Wallace continued to live at Belfield House, and the search for a glebe house continued sporadically during his and the following incumbency. Houses considered and rejected included Grange Lodge (house too dear), Cairn Hill (grounds too small) and Ruby Hall (plain unsuitable).

When Charles Welland became rector, he rented a house for himself in Dún Laoghaire. It would take a further twenty-eight years, and the marriage of their rector, for Kill finally to buy their first rectory, St Margaret’s, at a  cost of £1,250.  Many of us enjoyed a tour of the original glebe house, the cause of so much dissension,
during the recent history week. It's opposite Baker's Corner, and now called Fairholme.

Mary Williams               kotg.ie/wp-content/.../KOTG-Newsletter-2014-122015-01-33pp.pdf


At his death in 1929, he and Margaret were living at Exeter.  Margaret died in 1930


The Wigmore family had its roots in Midleton in South East Ireland.

Probably best known now as the home of Jamieson's Fine Wiskey!




The earliest records show that Henry Wigmore married Ann Bowles

Then his son William Wigmore married Sarah Harding


So who were their parents?  Without a doubt they belong to one of the following families:


The following is a list of the Freemen of Cork and their dates.

Alphabetical List of Freemen of the City of Cork
Transcribed from existing collection (Ref. U.11) ‘Index/Digest to Council Books of
the Corporation of Cork With alphabetical list of Freemen’. Original and typescript by
John O'Shea. Date of freemen admission from the 31st October 1710, to the 25th
October 1841, the last assembly of the old Corporation as constituted previous to the
coming into operation of the Municipal Corporations (Ireland )Act 1840, which
introduced local democratic elections. The power of admitting Freemen only by birth
or right also ceased in 1841.


Wigmore Henry 27/11/1741
Wigmore Henry Cooper 18/6/1784
Wigmore Henry Cooper 27/9/1796
Wigmore Henry Gentleman
Wigmore Henry William Gentleman
Wigmore John Master Builder 14/2/1794
Wigmore Richard Harding Gentleman
Wigmore Robert Gentleman
Wigmore Robert Esquire
Wigmore Thomas Harding Cooper
Wigmore Rev. Thomas
Wigmore William Gentleman 7/11/1777
Wigmore William Merchant

But who is who is rather difficult to interpret.

Harding Henry Esquire. of  Hardingrove, Co. Limerick 21/8/1798
Harding Henry Esquire
Harding Henry Junr. Merchant 1/10/1746
Harding Humphrey Merchant 18/2/1761
Harding John Gentleman 13/6/1757
Harding John Merchant 27/4/1759
Harding John (? Harling) 22/4/1784
Harding Joseph Gentleman 11/2/1790
Harding Joseph Esquire 16/9/1796
Harding Joseph Samuel Gentleman
Harding Robert Esquire 25/7/1786
Harding Robert Gentleman. of  Drownsallagh, Co.Limerick 1/9/1789
Harding Robert Esquire
Harding Samuel Lieut. 18th Dragoons. (1807)
Harding Samuel Esquire
Harding Samuel Robert Gentleman
Harding Thomas Merchant 13/8/1768
Harding Thomas Gentleman 28/7/1783
Harding Thomas Gentleman
Harding Thomas M.D.
Harding William 26/9/1712
Harding William Admitted on Servitude, part of the time being to the Widow of his Master

Harding William Merchant 16/6/1780
Harding William Gentleman 23/4/1790
Harding William
Harding William Pawnbroker
Hardinge Sir Henry (now (1846) Viscount Hardinge) Major General, Principal Secretary to Lord
Lieut. Duke of Northumberland.  (1830).


Sarah Wigmore is recorded in the Christ Church of Cork Records of 1787  This may be a death.

William and Sara were living in Ballynona House, Dungourney, Cork

As with their naming tradition William Wigmore had a son called Henry Wigmore.

He married Mary Cooke on 27 December 1787 in Tallow, Waterford County.  Mary was the daughter of Robert Cooke. She was born c 1772.

Again who was Mary descended from, because there  is a very clear indication in this lineage, that marriage was conducted within one's social class.


Cooke Amos Victualler
Cooke Amos
Cooke Edward Butcher 29/9/1769
Cooke Ephraim Esquire. Commander of the Privateer called the “Ambusade” presented with his
Freedom in a Silver Box “for the capture and bringing into Cork Harbour (1745) a Spanish ship laden
with Arms and Ammunition and supposed to be bound to Scotland, for the Pretender’s Service”.
Cooke John
Cooke John Perry 19/5/1729
Cooke Robert Warmuelo (?) Esquire                            Perhaps Mary's father
Cooke St. John Merchant 28/10/1761
Cooke Thomas Esquire 13/5/1730
Cooke William Victualler 23/2/1790
Cooke William Victualler
Cooke William Junr.
Cooke William Captain of ship  “Cambria” (1825) “for his humane and gallant Conduct in saving the
Passengers and Crew of the East Indiaman “Kent” burned in the Bay of Biscay”.
Cooke William Junr.
Cooke William Gentleman
Cooke William Amos




c. 2 acre site for sale at Ballynona House, Ballynona, Midleton, Co. Cork.  Subject to Planning for one house.

Henry and Mary had at least 6 children:

1.   Henry William Wigmore           1791
2.   Robert Carr Wigmore               1793
3.   Thomas Wigmore                     1794

4.  Mary Ann Wigmore                  1804
5.  William Henry Wigmore           1806
6.  Catherine Wigmore                   1814

In all probability her mother was Catherine Carr.

Carr James Merchant 25/7/1786
Carr John Merchant 1/9/1789
Carr Robert Merchant
Carr Robert Christian Gentleman
Carr Thomas Gentleman
Carré Augustus Gentleman 5/5/1740
Carré Collombine Lee Gentleman 22/12/ 1735
Carré Gabriel Gentleman. By Marriage 16/5/1713




Henry and Mary's eldest son joined the Military.  Often this followed another family tradition, and is evidenced by the military links in the family of Cooke's.


The Wigmores, the Wellands, and all the in laws lived in the area of Midleton.


This old report gives a background of the area of  MIDLETON

WITH THE VILLAGES OF BAILICK AND BALLINACURRA.

MIDLETON is a market town and parish, in the  barony of Imokilly, county of Cork, 156 miles s.w.from Dublin, and 16$ E. from Cork, eligibly situated on the main road between the latter city and Waterford through Youghal, at the north-east angle of Cork harbour, and on the Anachora, or Midleton river, which is navigable for vessels of near three hundred tons burthen to Balliuacurra.

The town consists chiefly of one long spacious street, intersected by a few smaller ones.
The scenery in many parts is very beautiful, and the country around is in a high state of cultivation. The manufacture of fine woollen cloths, at one time, was carried on extensively, but has, for some years, been discontinued, and government afterwards purchased the premises for barracks. They were subsequently bought by Lord Midleton, and are now the property of Messrs. Murphy and Co. who have converted them into a distillery—perhaps the most extensive iu the south of Ireland, being capable of producing five hundred thousand gallons of whisky annually.

Several years ago there were other distilleries in the town, besides some large breweries, at which time the duty realised by the revenue, in this department, from Midleton, amounted to £100,000 annually. In consequence, however, of the happy progress of temperance, or some other cause, there exists no longer any breweries here, but the one distillery above referred to. The trade in corn is important, and the stores of Messrs. Coppinger Brothers, and the flour mills of Messrs.
Allin, are of considerable magnitude; the latter sending into the market three thousand bags of flour
annually. Midleton has been improving for some time, and it supports a branch of the National Bank of Ireland.

The town received a charter of incorporation from Charles II. under which it returned two members
to the Irish parliament until the Union, when it was disfranchised. The general quarter sessions for
the. East Riding of the county are held here in June and November, and petty sessions once a fortuight. Lord Midleton is patron of the town and lord of the manor, and is entitled to hold a court of record, by his seneschal, every three weeks, for the recovery of debts not exceeding £200 Irish currency, but no court has been held for many years.

The court-house is a small neat structure, with a bridewell attached. he parish church of Saint John, re-erected in1823,is a neat stone structure in the later English style, with an exceedingly handsome spire and a pinnacled tower.


The glebe-house, a spacious and handsome residence, is pleasantly situated. The other places of worship are two Roman Catholic chapels—that at the eastern extremity of the towu is a spacious edifice; the other, a smaller one, is situated at Ballintoretis. The convent of the Presentation is a handsome building, consisting of a centre and two wings, one of which forms the domestic chapel, the other a spacious school-room, in which five hundred children of the poor receive, from
the ladies of the convent, a gratuitous education.

In 1709 a college was founded here by the then Lady Elizabeth Villiers, in which some of the most shining characters in the kingdom received their early education—-
amongst these  John PhilpotCurran ;the establishment has for some time been falling to decay, but it now appears to be reviving. There are six free pupils who are appointed by the trustees. The union workhouse is a large handsome building, standing upon an area of seven acres, the gift of Lord Midleton ; it is capable of holding 1,000 poor.

 Many of the juvenile inmates are taught trades, and the clothing of the inmates is manufactured and made up on the premises by themselves. The market-house is a spacious building; the
upper apartments are appropriated to the use of the town authorities and occasional assemblies. The public charities comprise a fever hospital and dispensary and two schools, one of which is under the care of the rector of the parish. The market, which is a very considerable one, is held on Saturday. Fairs, May 14th, July 5th, October 10th, and November 22nd. The parish of Midleton contained, in 1851, 8,158 inhabitants, and the town 6,010 of that number.

BAILICK is a small village aud hamlet in the parish of, and may, indeed, be deemed a suburb of Midleton, being not more than a quarter of a mile from that town. It possesses a good quay, at which vessels of two hundred tons burthen can be moored close to and discharge their cargoes. There are large stores for iron, coal, culm, &c. Population returned with Midleton

BALLINACURRA is a large village, in the borough and parish of Midleton, about one mile from that town, rendered important from its being a branch of Cork harbour, and the shipping port for Midleton. There are some very extensive corn and coal stores, among which are those of Mr. Hallaran, maltster, the largest in the south of Ireland, and who supplies the celebrated
house of Messrs. Guinness and Co. Dublin. Population  returned with-Midleton.
Post Mistress.—Letters from all parts arrive at half-past five every morning, and are despatched at ten minutes to seven every evening.—A mail from CORK arrives a a quarter to six every evening, and letters are despatched thereto at ten every morning.

Arranged Alphabetically. (NGC) - Nobility, Gentry & Clergy
Wigmore, Richard & William, Esqrs., Ballynona (NGC)

Wigmore, Thomas, Esq., Ballyvodock (NGC)
Welland, William, Esq. , Deerpark , Killeagh, Broomfield




G E N T R Y AND CLERGY.

Welland         Henry N.Esq.Killeagh Farm
Wigmore        Richard, Esq. Ballynona
Wigmore        Thomas, Esq.Ballyvodock
Wigmore         William, Esq. Ballynona



1793 - (HC 10/6/1793) -TO be set by Mr. Thomas Wigmore, the noted Inn in Midleton, formerly kept by Edward Mc. Manus; from the first of May next. Proposals to said Wigmore there



Piggots Directory 1824 lists the following occupants

Wigmore, Henry, Esq., Ballivodock (NGC)
Wigmore, Henry, Lieut., HP (NGC)
Wigmore, Miss, Ballinacora (NGC)
Wigmore, Richard Harding, Esq., Ballynona (NGC)


Rev William Welland was a Guardian on the Aghabullogue Workhouse.

During a trip to Ireland, we visited a Workhouse. It is a chilling reminder of the terrible time many of our ancestors faced during the famine.  This information is be helpful.


Salamanca, Vittoria, Pyrennes
Midleton, Co. Cork

Midleton Poor Law Union was formally declared on the 16th February 1839 and covered an area of 227 square miles. Its operation was overseen by an elected Board of Guardians, 32 in number, representing its 21 electoral divisions as listed below (figures in brackets indicate numbers of Guardians if more than one):
Co. Cork: Aghada (2), Ardagh, Ballyoutragh, Ballyspillane, Carrigtoohill, Clonmult, Clonpriest, Cloyne (3), Dungourney, Garryvoe, Dungan, Ightermurrogh, Imogiely, Killeagh, Kilmacdonough, Kilmahon, Lisgood, Midleton (4), Templenecarriga, Youghal (6).
The Board also included 10 ex-officio Guardians, making a total of 42. The Guardians met each week at 11am on Saturday.

The population falling within the Union at the 1831 census had been 73,878 with divisions ranging in size from Ballyspillane (population 1,100) to Youghal (11,327).
The new Union workhouse was erected in 1840-41 on a seven-acre site, the gift of Viscount Midleton, at the north of Midleton. Designed by the Poor Law Commissioners' architect George Wilkinson, the building was based on one of his standard plans to accommodate 800 inmates. Its construction cost £6,853 plus £1,347 for fittings etc. The workhouse was declared fit for the reception of paupers on 15th June 1841, and received its first admissions on the 21st August. The site location and layout are shown on the 1902 OS map below.

The buildings followed Wilkinson's typical layout. An entrance and administrative block, now replaced, stood at the west. It contained a porter's room and waiting room at the centre with the Guardians' board room on the first floor above.

The main accommodation block had the Master's quarters at the centre, with male and female wings to each side. From the 1902 map, it appears that children's schoolrooms were located at each side of the block.  (Children over 2 years were separated from their parents)

At the rear, a range of single-storey utility rooms such as bakehouse and washhouse connected through to the infirmary and idiots' wards via a central spine containing the chapel and dining-hall.

During the famine in the mid-1840s, an extra wing was built and stables appropriated to accommodate 200 extra inmates. The new wing is probably the two-storey block which runs along the southern side of the workhouse.

In April 1870, the workhouse Medical Officer, Benjamin Johnston, described the successful operation of a Turkish bath in the workhouse.

I beg to report that the Turkish bath of the Middleton Union Workhouse has been in active operation for the last six years, a period sufficiently long to form a somewhat correct estimate of its merits. It is in almost daily use, and is pretty generally availed of by almost all classes of the inmates, of almost all ages; and although the establishment is particularly well provided with excellent and suitable lavatories for almost all classes, still we find that the Turkish bath, although in nowise superseding them, takes its proper place as a very valuable addition, applicable in many cases in which they are not, whilst it may be stated with confidence, that by no other known mode of lavement can the same absolute cleanliness be insured, whilst its value as a means of drying the clothes (and thus affording all times an ample supply of thoroughly aired clothing at an expense not exceeding that hitherto expended on fuel for a similar purpose, which answered the purpose comparatively very inefficiently) can scarcely be over-estimated, a statement in which I am fully borne out by the master and matron, who entirely coincide in my views on this part of the subject. 

The schoolmaster and schoolmistress also bear their ready testimony not only to the enjoyment, but beneficial effects derived from the occasional use by the school children under their charge. In fact, both young and old seem to derive both considerable enjoyment and considerable benefit from the occasional judicious use of this invigorating luxury. As regards my hospital patients; the class of cases in which I have found it most useful, were the various forms of scrofula, rheumatism, anasarca, and paralysis, in which two latter complaints, when not dependent on any organic lesion, we have occasionally obtained beneficial results; but especially in cutaneous affections of almost all forms in which its steady use has been almost uniformly crowned by a beneficial result, and with this exception, my experience does not lead me to regard it as a mode of cure (unassisted by other means) in, perhaps, any other form of disease.

 I am sure it would prove a valuable auxiliary in the reduction of dislocations, and also in the taxis for the reduction of strangulated hernia, and in some cases of retention of urine; but I cannot speak from experience. In fine, as in my opinion the judicious use of the Turkish bath unquestionably tends to conduce towards and promote the general healthy tone of the establishment, I cannot refrain from expressing my opinion that neither this or any other public institution can be properly mindful of the health of its inmates, or in a word, at all complete, without being provided with this very valuable addition to its other hygienic appliances.

  • Cork City and County Archives, 33a Great William O'Brien Street, Blackpool, Cork. Holdings include: Board of Guardian Minute Books (1845-1924); Resolution Books (1896-1922); Day Books (1906-20); Indoor Relief Registers (1841-1923); Admission and Discharge Book (1925); Indoor Relief List (1917-19); Record of Births (1844-1930).


  • The Workhouses of Ireland by John O'Connor (Anvil Books, 1995) 




Following on from Rev Thomas Wigmore's parents.

Henry Wigmore's  brother Richard-Harding Wigmore was certainly a man of distinction in the area, as can be researched.  But within the stories, there are so many links with different members of the Wigmore extended family coming to Tasmania.

Did they come to support one of their own?  More interesting was the connections to places, times of the areas of Bothwell and Oatlands.

We have Thomas's cousin Robert marrying the daughter of the gaoler from Oatlands prison, we have Thomas defending the rights of Henry Hyram Cockrill, then getting out of favour with him, we have Thomas' brother Captain Henry Wigmore in Tasmania, and then his cousin Stephen Hasting Atkins also bringing his family to Tasmania, and leaving amidst controversy.


******************************************************************************


And all these families are branches of the Jillett Family Tree

*

Richard-Harding Wigmore was born around 1778 in Ballynona House, in Dungourney, County Cork.  In 1808 he married Ann Atkins from Firville.  Ann was the daughter of Robert Atkins, of Firville, Esq, but it is certainly her history and background that give rise to her position, as one of Britain's Gentry.

Ann was descended from Robert Atkins, of Firville, Esq, youngest son of Robert Atkins of Fountainville, esq,   Richard Atkins esq the younger son of Sir John Atkins Knight, by Mary his wife, eldest sister of Charles Howard, 1st Earl of Carlisle 


Richard settled the lands around late 1678, he married Barbara Fuller of the Sandbanks near Dingle 1683.  He was a knight, most likely in Cromwell's Army, or one of the good guys!



Just to confuse the family lineage, Richard and Ann had several children:

1    Henry Wigmore  b  may 1809 in Ballynona House in 1846 he married Anna Charlotta Campion in Fermoy  he died in June 1884  In 1871 his lands were being advertised for sale in regard to a matter being brought to court by Elizabeth Hardy.  Those lands were at Mountpooley, Ballyamona and Ballynona

2.   William Wigmore  was born February 1812.  He married Maria Stancombe and they lived in Isle of Wight at the time of his death in August 1862

3.   Robert Harding Wigmore was born 18 April 1815 .  He embarked to Australia, and to Tasmania, There is an arrival of a Mr Wigmore in Hobart from London in 1843.

Did he come at the request of his family?

He married Julia Margaret Smee in Tasmania. 14 January 1854 in Hobart and he married  Emma Jones  in 1862 in Newchurch in Hampshire.
Name
Mr Wigmore
Arrival Port
Hobart
Arrival Date
21 Sep 1843
Departure Port
London
Departure Date
7 May 1843
Ship
Psyche

He bought land in 1849, at Kempton.

In 1850 he and his daughter were involved in the Stagg Farm Incident!

This tells of a story involving Robert's family, and his unpleasant episode in the hands of villains

The Stagg Farm Incident: Murder, Home Invasion, and Kidnapping in Colonial Tasmania

Part VIII of An Australian Emigrant Family

Peter Blackwell, Ph.D. Brown University '88 (Rhode Island) and Mark Blackwell, B.Com. B.D. (Euroa, Victoria, Australia) [blackwell@upssystems.com]
Jonathan House was the son of John Stagg House, J.P. of Stag Farm. In 1850, Justice House sentenced a man named Bradley to three months imprisonment for petty theft. Bradley was an ex-inmate of the Port Arthur Penal Establishment and had been an assigned servant of the Van Dieman's Land Company and upon release had vowed to get even with all who had wronged him. Upon his release from prison he struck up an acquaintance with a convict cook in military barracks, named O'Connor, who desperately wanted to get to the mainland and join the gold rush.

With the help of Bradley, O'Connor escaped and got a change of clothes. O'Connor agreed to join Bradley in going to Stagg Farm to settle accounts with John House and get some money to go to Victoria. Along the way they came to the hut of a ticket-of-leave convict , One-Eyed Smith, who agreed to show them the way to Stagg Farm, after being threatened at gun point.

Jonathan House was lighting the kitchen fire at dawn when he saw the two men approaching trying to conceal their muskets behind the unfortunate Smith. He recognized Bradley as a man he had overheard threatening to shoot his father. He woke his father but before they could find a gun and some clothes, Bradley and O'Connor entered the house. House Sr., clad in a night gown and cap, escaped through a window and ran towards some nearby scrub. O'Connor saw him running and fired his musket superficially wounding him in the thigh. House made it to his nearest neighbor, where he borrowed some clothes and a horse and rode to Stanley to seek assistance.

The villains, meanwhile, had assembled the family and hired hands in the kitchen, threatening them on the belief that substantial amounts of money were hidden in the house. Among them were House's eldest daughter, Ellen, and her fiance, a young carriage painter named Phillips (a Thomas Phillips was also at the inquest but evidence has not been found to identify him as the same Phillips in this incident). When Bradley refused to shoot them, O'Connor pointed his gun towards Phillip's head. As he was pulling the trigger, Ellen dashed forward and took the full charge in her body and fell to floor gravely wounded. She eventually recovered but was in poor health for the rest of her life. The outlaws quickly withdrew taking Smith with them.

In response to the alarm that House raised, a small military attachment and some special constables were mustered and began to trail the two gunmen. O'Connor was still hopeful of stealing sufficient money to make a fresh start in Victoria when he remembered that the mailman, Paddy, the Tinker, would be carrying £2,000 in his bag to Stanley for the VDL Company to pay for purchases. The mail was carried on foot as the track was too poor even for pack horses. They made camp and waited and soon after 10 p.m. the diminutive mail carrier came into sight. He saw the men by the campfire beckoning him to join them for a cup of tea and cautiously approached to within a few yards when he saw the muskets in the firelight. He ran with O'Connor following shouting threats of murder. He fired hitting Paddy in the left arm. Faint from loss of blood, Paddy scrambled onto the foreshore, throwing the mailbag into a crevice in the rocks. O'Connor gave up the chase and did not see that the bag had been tossed aside.

Early the next morning, Paddy staggered into the military camp with the news of the assault and information that the bandits were heading to Table Cape.

At 11 a.m. the outlaws arrived at Alexandria, hid their belongings in a stable, and calmly walked into Matthias Alexander's Wynyard Arms and had a few drinks with Robert Wigmore. who did not know that they were outlaws or Smith was a hostage. Inquiring about passage to Victoria they were told to go down to the landing stage where Captain Jones was loading his schooner Dove heading to Port Albert on the Gippsland coast of Victoria. Not realizing the danger, Jones agreed to give them passage and they wandered back to the inn where they had their first good meal in two days. Suddenly one of the local residents came to the door and shouted to Alexander that the police were coming. Bradley and O'Connor scrambled to their feet and rushed out the back door to the stable to get their guns. In the process, O'Connor knocked Robert Wigmore's small daughter off her chair spilling her cup of tea. He apologized and gave her 2s.

Exchanging gunfire with the pursuers, the outlaws made their way through the scrub to the small jetty, while One-Eyed Smith finished his meal in the company of Wigmore, glad to be rid of his captors. Jumping on board the villains ordered Jones to set sail, Bradley aiming his musket at the captain and O'Connor, crouching under the taffrail covering the crew.

About three miles out into Bass Strait, Captain Jones unsuccessfully tried to catch Bradley off guard, only to have his finger blown off as punishment and a warning. Twenty four hours later they arrived on the South Gippsland coast and the outlaws put ashore and headed for Melbourne. Along the way they murdered a young ploughman and were caught by a detachment of troopers at Caulfield after a fierce gun battle. They were tried for murder and armed robbery in Melbourne and hanged at Pentridge Stockade.

Captain Jones returned to a hero's welcome by the settlers and continued to sail the Dove until his retirement in the mid 1860s.

Date: 1865  From Linc Tasmania -

Description: Black and white photograph of Camp Creek and Inglis River Wynyard Tasmania c1865 looking West and showing Moore and Quiggins Sawmill left Centre, Wynyard Arms Inn (centre) which later became Courthouse Hotel and the 1st Commercial Hotel. The Shop/House/Residence next to the Hotel is believed to be "Johnsons".



In 1859, he Richard, aged 44 and 3 children travelled to Victoria from Table Cap, where he lived in Tasmania 

His wife Julia had died.  He took the three children and returned to England.

While there he married Emma Jones, the daughter of Rev John Jones.  
They were married at Newchurch Hampshire in 1862.

Did he return to England to his brother William? or to Julia's family?

4.  Mary Wigmore was born 1816 at Ballynona House
5.  Sarah Jane Wigmore was born 1824, she married Henry Howell and they went to Canada
6.  Arthur Wigmore was born 1829 and died 1868 in Midleton Cork


The Smee Family

Researching Julia Margaret Smee was a little difficult, but eventually more amazing information was revealed.  
Julia was the daughter of John Edward Smee and Esther Mary Priseman.  Julia's father was from a long standing Military family.

His father was John Smee Esq, who had served in India in the Civil Service.  .  His mother was Margaret Nugent.  Margaret was the daughter of Colonel Edward Nugent, who served in India.  Margaret was born in India


John and his siblings, Walter Nugent Thomas Smee,  Margaret Rebecca Smee, Caroline Frances Smee and Mary Sophia Smee James Henry Smee were all born in Bombay and Catherine Nugent Smee were all born in Tamu Nadu.  Georgiana Dillon Smee 1816 was born in Knightsbridge.  Elmira Susanna Smee 1804 was born in London

Georgiana married Colonel Brown, who died of lock jaw, after a kick from a horse. 
Death as reported in the Tasmanian Papers:

.Died of lock-jaw, caused by the kick of a horse, MAJOR BROWN, of the 6th Regiment, H.E.I. Company's Service, leaving a wife and four children to lament his loss. He married Georgina [?], the youngest daughter of John Smee, Esq., of Court Lodge, Mountfield, Sussex, and was brother-in-law to Colonel Smee, commanding the 1st Regiment of Europeans at Fort Assughur, East Indies, and to Mr. John Edward Smee of Long- ford. Her Majesty was pleased to confer on him a Companion of the Bath for his distinguished services at Seinde. 

Julia's father died in 1858 in hospital in Cornwall.

At the Cornwall Hospital, on the 8th April, John Smee, many years In the Convict Department at Tasmania Peninsula

Walter Nugent Thomas Smee was a Major General in HM Army  He died in 1877



The following information provides some indication of the lands and areas where they lived.


ESTATE: WIGMORE

Associated Families
• Wigmore
Description

In 1808 Richard Harding Wigmore of Ballynona, county Cork, married Anne Atkins of Firville, near Mallow and they had four sons, Henry, Robert, William and Arthur and two daughters. Kilbarry, parish of Castlelyons, county Cork, was the home of a branch of the Wigmore family in the 19th century. They held the subdenominations of the townland of Kilbarry named Coolenafinoge and Inchinore in the mid 19th century under a fee farm grant. These lands were advertised for sale in May 1854. Henry Wigmore was described as "an insolvent". The Freeman's Journal reported that they were purchased by Richard Carroll for over £1100. Coolenafinoge was advertised for sale again in 1862, the estate of Benjamin Bradshaw Wigmore. Ballynona amounting to over 400 acres the estate of Henry Wigmore was advertised for sale on four dates in 1871 and 1872. It was held on a fee farm grant, dated 2 August 1860, Sir Arthur De Capell Brooke to Henry Wigmore and included the house and demesne of Brookdale. The original lease of Ballynona was from Richard Hull to Henry Wigmore and was dated 1758. The Irish Times reported that Messers. J. Fitzgerald and Mough were the purchasers as well as Mr. Healy, in trust. Henry Wigmore of Ballynona, Midleton, owned 70 acres in county Cork in the 1870s. The Ballynona mill and 8 acres, still in Wigmore possession, was advertised for sale in June 1882

Hajba writes that a new house was built here in 1842 by the Wigmores. Robert Wigmore was resident in 1814, E[dward] Wigmore in 1837 and Henry Wigmore in the early 1850s when the buildings were valued at £23 and held in fee. In 1786, Wilson states that it was the residence of Hon. Mr. Moore. Later the home of the Kent and Waters families. Still extant and occupied.   



Frankfort (H3428)   Area of Mogeely
This was a Woodley home, occupied by F. Woodley in 1837 and leased to Robert Wigmore in the early 1850s when the house was valued at £20+. The house was occupied until the 1970s but is now a ruin.


Ballynona House (H3460)   Dungourney
The main seat of the Wigmore family, occupied by Richard H. Wigmore in 1814 and R. Wigmore in 1837. Henry Wigmore held the property from Sir Arthur Brooke in the early 1850s when the house was valued at £15+

Glenwood Lodge (H3461) 
Richard Harding Wigmore occupied a house, flour mill and lodge valued at £30 at this location in the mid 19th century. He held the property from Henry Wigmore

Ballyvodock (H3462) 
Thomas Wigmore occupied this house in the mid 19th century. He held it from the representatives of Viscount Midleton and it was valued at £9+.


Brookdale House (H3465) 
A house occupied by Mr Robert Atkins in 1814 and described by Lewis in 1837 as the seat of A. Ormsby. Arthur Ormsby was married to Margaret the sister of Robert Atkins (of Firville). Margaret Ormsby was the immediate lessor of the house in the early 1850s when it was valued at £32 and occupied by John Bull. William Welland was tenant when the property part of the estate of Henry Wigmore was advertised for sale in 1871.


*******************************************************************************
Ann was the daughter of Major Robert Atkins, JP and Mary de Hastings.

Robert and Ann had many children, Including sons Robert Atkins born 1775 who married Charlotte Going, and who died 1839 in Firville, and Stephen Hastings Atkins, JP for Tipperary for many years, who actually came to Australia with his second wife Mary Anne Greene.

The story below explains some of his very interesting life.  His son became a Politician in West Australia.

Anne's sister Margaret Atkins married Arthur Ormsby.  They remained in Ireland.



The Atkins:   from Ancestry:      david468_1 originally shared this on 06 Oct 2010



Justice of the Peace for many years for the counties of Tipperary, Clare and Limerick and a magistrate at Clare.

His property included Fort Henry, co. Tipperary and Righiberg co. Cork

Alfred King Atkins in a letter to me 8 Oct 1996, from Perth, Western Australia, quoted from :
"Anecdotes of the George Rouse and Stephen Hastings Atkins familie" by Marguerite Isobel Lewis (nee Courthope) 16 May 1984.

"When Mrs Stephen Hastings Atkins arrived with her husband and their children in their own sailing vessel at the Port of Burnie, North West Coast of Tasmania, she decided she could not continue sailing around the world whilst her husband tried to decide where he would like to stay and settle permanently.

Mrs Atkins kept three children with her, two daughters and a son William Atkins, to live on the north west coast.

Whilst they were living near Stanley, Mrs Atkins became friendly with the wife of the manager of on VDL's Company at Stanley. "Highfield", the name of the VDL Co's residence was looked on as the northern Government House.

Mrs Atkins wanted a letter taken to the homestead, so William, aged about 14 years was sent off to deliver it and as he grew near to the house, he jumped on the back of a heifer that was grazing and proceeded on his way to the front door.

His mother was very angry with his ill-manner. Unfortunately for William, his father returned to Burnie to take William back with him to Ireland, educate him and school and university "turn him into a gentleman".

Stephen Hastings was so outraged at his son's uncouthness, refused to take him and sailed away.
The two daughters lived with their mother until first one was married to a Mr. MacKenzie, the only eligble gentleman. Later she died and the other sister married Mr. MacKenzie.

According the A.K. Atkins Stephen sailed with the twins Romulus & Remus to the Sandwich Islands (Tahiti) and somone ended up as a lady-in-waiting for the Queen of Tonga
Stephen had married heiresses, so could afford to sail the world's oceans.

They had 5 sons & 4 dtrs :
1.  Robert Greene Hastings 1826-1827
2.  William 17 Jan 1836 "Birdhill House", co.Tipperary, Ireland 26 Nov 1920 Western Australia
3.  Romulus Robert 11 Mar 1840
4.  Remus Henry 11 Mar 1840 (twin)
5.  Edmond Arthur 1843
6.  Elizabeth Adele
7.  Margaret Grace
8.  Mary Anne = Joseph Shackleton in 1862
9.  Henrietta = Ralph Shackleton in 1866

           


Rev Thomas Wigmore's immediate family

Henry and Mary Wigmore  had at least 6 children:



1.           Henry William Wigmore           1791
2.           Robert Carr Wigmore               1793
3.           Thomas Wigmore                     1794
4.           Mary Ann Wigmore                  1804
5.           William Henry Wigmore           1806
6.           Catherine Wigmore                   1814


1.        Henry William Wigmore    born 1791.

Henry joined the military and served in the Peninsula Wars under the Duke of Wellington.

The Battle of Salamanca (in French and Spanish known as "Battle of Arapiles") saw an Anglo-Portuguese army under the Duke of Wellington defeat Marshal Auguste Marmont's French forces among the hills around Arapiles, south of Salamanca, Spain on 22 July 1812 during the Peninsular War. A Spanish division was also present but took no part in the battle.

The battle involved a succession of flanking manoeuvres in oblique order, initiated by the British heavy cavalry brigade and Pakenham's 3rd division, and continued by the cavalry and the 4th, 5th and 6th divisions. These attacks resulted in a rout of the French left wing. Both Marmont and his deputy commander, General Bonet, received shrapnel wounds in the first few minutes of firing. Confusion amongst the French command may have been decisive in creating an opportunity, which Wellington successfully seized and exploited.

General Bertrand Clausel, third in seniority, assumed command and ordered a counterattack by the French reserve toward the depleted Allied centre. The move proved partly successful but with Wellington having sent his reinforcements to the centre, the Anglo-Portuguese forces prevailed.

Allied losses numbered 3,129 British and 2,038 Portuguese dead or wounded. The Spanish troops took no part in the battle as they were positioned to block French escape routes and as such suffered just six casualties. The French suffered about 13,000 dead, wounded and captured. As a consequence of Wellington's victory, his army was able to advance to and liberate Madrid for two months, before retreating to Portugal. The French were forced to abandon Andalusia permanently while the loss of Madrid irreparably damaged King Joseph's pro-French government.


Battle of Vitoria
In July 1812, after the Battle of Salamanca, the French had evacuated Madrid, which Wellington's army entered on 12 August 1812. Deploying three divisions to guard its southern approaches, Wellington marched north with the rest of his army to lay siege to the fortress of Burgos, 140 miles (230 km) away, but he had underestimated the enemy's strength and on 21 October he had to abandon the Siege of Burgos and retreat. By 31 October he had abandoned Madrid too, and retreated first to Salamanca then to Ciudad Rodrigo, near the Portuguese frontier, to avoid encirclement by French armies from the north-east and south-east.

Wellington spent the winter reorganising and strengthening his forces. By contrast, Napoleon withdrew many soldiers to rebuild his main army after his disastrous invasion of Russia. By 20 May 1813 Wellington marched 121,000 troops (53,749 British, 39,608 Spanish and 27,569 Portuguese[3]) from northern Portugal across the mountains of northern Spain and the Esla River to outflank Marshal Jourdan's army of 68,000, strung out between the Douro and the Tagus.

The French retreated to Burgos, with Wellington's forces marching hard to cut them off from the road to France. Wellington himself commanded the small central force in a strategic feint, while Sir Thomas Graham conducted the bulk of the army around the French right flank over landscape considered impassable.

Wellington launched his attack with 57,000 British, 16,000 Portuguese and 8,000 Spanish at Vitoria on 21 June, in four columns.[4] After hard fighting, Thomas Picton's 3rd Division broke the enemy's centre and soon the French defence crumbled. About 5,000 French soldiers were killed or wounded and 3,000 were taken prisoner, while Wellington suffered about 5,000 killed or wounded. 151 cannons were captured, but Joseph Bonaparte, erstwhile King of Spain, narrowly escaped. The battle led to the collapse of Napoleonic rule in Spain.

Date
21 June 1813
Location
Vitoria, Spain
Result
Decisive Allied victory

The Battle of the Pyrenees was a large-scale offensive launched on 25 July 1813 by Marshal Nicolas Jean de Dieu Soult from the Pyrénées region on Emperor Napoleon’s order, in the hope of relieving French garrisons under siege at Pamplona and San Sebastián. After initial success the offensive ground to a halt in face of increased allied resistance under the command of Arthur Wellesley, Marquess of Wellington. Soult abandoned the offensive on 30 July and headed toward France, having failed to relieve either garrison.
Battle of the Pyrenees, July 28th 1813 by Thomas Sutherland
Date
25 July to 2 August 1813
Location
Result
Allied victory
The Battle of the Pyrenees involved several distinct actions. On 25 July, Soult and two French corps fought the reinforced British 4th Division and a Spanish division at the Battle of Roncesvalles. The Allied force successfully held off all attacks during the day, but retreated from the Roncesvalles Pass that night in the face of overwhelming French numerical superiority. Also on the 25th, a third French corps severely tried the British 2nd Division at the Battle of Maya. The British withdrew from the Maya Pass that evening. Wellington rallied his troops a short distance north of Pamplona and repelled the attacks of Soult's two corps at the Battle of Sorauren on 28 July.


The 87th was first formed in 1793 by John Doyle (a Dublin-born Veteran of the American Revolutionary War) and was named after the Prince of Wales as the 87th (The Prince of Wales's Irish) Regiment of Foot and later the 87th (The Prince of Wales's Own Irish) Regiment of Foot.  In 1809 the Regiment went to serve during the Peninsular War (1808-1815) and was the first Regiment to capture a French eagle standard at the Battle of Barrosa, which was added to the Regimental badge.  The Regiment also took part in the Capture of Mauritius in 1810 from the French as part of the Napoleonic Wars (1803–1815).  In 1815 the 87th was deployed to India and remained there for 12 years fighting in Nepal and Burma during the Gurkha War (1814–1816). In 1827 the Regiment added the titles of Fusilier and Royal to its name when its namesake the Prince of Wales acceded to the throne as King George IV and became the 87th (or Royal Irish Fusiliers) Regiment of Foot.  The Regiment went on to serve during the Burmese War of 1824-26 and returned to India in 1849 during the Indian Mutiny (1857-1859) fighting on the North West Frontier. The 89th was first formed in 1793, nicknamed ‘Blayney’s Bloodhounds’ after the commander; Lieutenant General Andrew Thomas Blayney, 11th Baron Blayney, who was famed for hunting down Irish Rebels during Irish Rebellion of 1798.  The Regiment went on to fight at the Battle of Fuengirola during the Peninsular War (1808-1815) and distinguished itself at the Battle of Crysler’s Farm during the Anglo-American War of 1812 and also served during the Crimean War (1854) and the Indian Mutiny (1857).  In 1866 the title of ‘Princess Victoria’, (possibly after the first daughter of Queen Victoria), was added to the regimental designation becoming the 89th (The Princess Victoria's) Regiment.

It was bugler Paddy Shannon of the 2nd Battalion of the 87th Regiment of Foot who "picked up" Marshal Jean-Baptiste Jourdan's baton after the battle of Vittoria.Arthur Wellesley, Marquess of Wellington sent the baton to George the Prince Regent, who in return awarded Wellington the rank and baton of Field Marshal.


96th Foot
In 1824, the 96th regiment was reformed, inheriting the history and battle honours of their predecessors.

Over the next half a century, the regiment garrisoned a variety of territories around the world. It also provided detachments for convict ships sailing to New South Wales, Van Diemen's Land (Tasmania) and Western Australia.

During 1843, amid tensions in New Zealand between British settlers and Māoris, related to breaches of the Treaty of Waitangi, a detachment from the regiment was dispatched to the North Island of New Zealand. Trouble did occur, with confrontations occurring between the regiment and Māoris. In one incident, the 96th met a large Māori force and in response withdrew in the face of a numerically superior opponent. The Flagstaff War began on 11 March 1845. The regiment took part in a number of engagements during the war, which lasted into early January 1846.

In 1849, the 96th arrived in Calcutta in India, which at that time was under control of the British East India Company. They left the subcontinent in 1854, returning home to the UK, before deploying to Gibraltar for garrison service.

The regiment was en route to Canada in 1862, when the ship they were sailing on hit a storm in the Azores. The 96th spent only a brief time in Canada, being deployed to South Africa in 1863, after a brief period in the UK.


In 1868, the 96th deployed to British India, an entity only created ten years before. They remained there until 1873. The following year the regiment was officially deemed to be the direct descendant of the Minorca Regiment, later The 96th (Queen's Own Germans) Regiment of Foot.


*******************************************************************************




By 1824 he was back in Ireland and on 27th July married Susan Casey.  Susan b 1803 d 1849 was the daughter of Michael Casey

Her lineage is probably linked to one of these Cork families.

Casey Edwards Merchant
Casey James
Casey John Gentleman
Casey Peter Gentleman. (?Carey) 11/3/1783
Casey Thomas Attorney
Casey Thomas M.D.
Casey William


They had several children, and he had various postings.

In 1825  they were in Sierra Leone, and their eldest son, Richard Percival Wigmore was born.
In 1827  they were in the Turk Islands in the Bahamas where Mary Cooke Wigmore was born
In 1829  they were in New Providence in the Bahamas when Joseph Sherer Wigmore was born
In 1831 a son  Henry William was born
In 1833 they were in Ireland when Jane Casey Wigmore was born

According to the Irish Thithe bookes in 1833 they were living in Ballyoughtera, in Cork and in 1834 they were at Mogeesha, in Cork.



In 1838 he was made a Captain, and in 1840 he left with his family for services in Australia.

Name:
Captain Wigmore
Arrival Date:
18 Jul 1840
Arrival Port:
Port Phillip Bay, Australia
Ship:
Theresa


After a stay in Sydney they arrived in Tasmania in 1841.

Name
Captain Wigmore
Arrival Port
Hobart
Arrival Date
1 Dec 1841
Departure Port
Port Phillip
Departure Date
26 Nov 1841 
Ship
Flying Squirrel


Henry William Wigmore
Campaign or Service
Napoleonic Wars
Service Date
1793-1815
Service Location
Europe
Regiment or Unit Name
5th Foot 24th Foot
In 1841 Captain Wigmore was in charge prisoners at Bourke NSW
Susan and the five children joined him in Tasmania.  First they all arrived in Port Fairy in Victoria on the Theresa 

In 1844 they had another son   Samuel Cook Wigmore born 15 February 1844 in Hobart
In 1846 they had another son Henry William Wigmore born 21st May 1846.

This could indicate that their son Henry William Wigmore born 1832 had died.

In 1842 he was in charge of the Southport Probation Station in Tasmania
In 1851 he was in charge of the George Town Police Station in Tasmania


Susan died in Georgetown in 1849.  

Their children married:

Richard Percival    married Elizabeth Harper and Grace Kealy 
Joseph Sherer Wigmore married Annie Farrell   (She was born at Sea 1841)
Jane Casey Wigmore married John Kelly Armstrong
Samuel Cook Wigmore married Mary Ann Johnsons
Henry William Wigmore married Charlotte Watson  
                           She died in 1863 possibly in childbirth aged 19


The Mercury (Hobart, Tas. : 1860 - 1954), Wednesday 13 November 1861
***********************************************************************



The Hobart Papers provide some information:   (NLA Trove)
Hobart "Courier"   3 Dec 1841 under ship arrivals:

"From Port Phillip, the Flying Squirrel, among the passengers Captain Wigmore."

Hobart "Courier"   28 Jan  1842 under ship arrivals:
"From Port Phillips, the Flying Squirrel, among the passengers Mrs Wigmore and five children.."

Hobart "Courier"  3 Jul 1845 under Appointments: "District constable Henry Wigmore has been appointed inspector of weights and measures and stock for the district of Port Sorell."

Hobart "Courier"  20 Jun 1849 under Appointments: "Mr. Henry Wigmore has been appointed district constable for George Town."

Hobart "Courier"  1 Mar 1853 among a list of persons as "collectors of votes for Westbury- Henry William Wigmore."

Hobart "Courier"    3 Jul 1856 : List of persons entitled to vote in Torquay: Henry William Wigmore."
William Henry Wigmore died in Victoria in 1871.  He had a long and interesting life.

Name:
William Henry Wigmore
Birth Year:
abt 1792
Age:
79
Death Place:
Victoria
Registration Year:
1871
Registration Place:
Victoria
Registration Number:
4487




2.  Robert Carr Wigmore was born 1793 in Cork

Was it Robert Carr Wigmore or Robert Cook Wigmore?  Going by naming patterns.

  He married Sophia Cook.   They emigrated to Prince Edward Island, in Canada, and he died in 1870

Name:Robert C (carr?) Wigmore
Birth Date:1793
Age at Death:77
Death Date:20 Aug 1870
Burial Place:Queens County, Prince Edward Island, Canada

Sophie Wigmore
Name:
Birth Date:1811
Birth Place:County Wexford, Ireland
Death Date:1896
Death Place:Prince Edward Island, Canada
Cemetery:North Granville United Cemetery
Burial or Cremation Place:North Granville, Queens County, Prince Edward Island, Canada

There is an arrival in Canada:

Name:Sophia Wigmore
Birth Year:abt 1807
Arrival Year:1891
Arrival Place:Prince Edward Island
Age:84
Source Publication Code:2605.2
Primary Immigrant:Wigmore, Sophia
Annotation:Date and place of census. Place of birth and the lot designation from the original census records are also provided.


GLEN, WILLIAM M. Prince Edward Island 'Strays in the 1891 Census,' Individuals Living on Prince Edward Island in 1891 Who Were Born Outside North American or at Sea. Volume 2. Charlottetown, PE: The Prince Edward Island Genealogical Society, 1997. 85p.


However, in 1881 Canadian census she was already living there. Maybe she visited her homeland in 1891.



*********************************************************************************

Then there was Catherine Wigmore


Catherine was born around 1814 and she traveled on the same ship as her brother Thomas and the family when they left Ireland.  Her occupation was school mistress.

Given this was the time of the beginning of the famine, did she travel with her brother to give support and assistance with his large family?


Name:Cathe Wigmore
Estimated Birth Year:abt 1814
Age:27
Arrival Date:25 Feb 1841
Arrival Port:Port Phillip Bay, Australia
Departure Port:Liverpool
Ship:Georgiana
Nationality:Irish




Catherine Wigmore died in Hobart on 30th December 1852, from consumption.  The witness was another Wigmore.



But some of the stories behind the stories would not be complete if it was not possible to match some other extended family relations.  And that is the case with Susan Casey Wigmore.

Susan was the Matron and Gaoler at the House of Corrections in Hobart.

She married one, Ringrose Austin Atkins, whose father Captain Thomas Atkins was the first cousin of Ann Atkins, who married Richard Harding Wigmore.






http://www.femaleconvicts.org.au/index.php/14-convict-institutions#AtkinsWigmore


Ringrose Austin Atkins and Susan Casey Wigmore

Information provided courtesy of Val Date, an excerpt from her book "Castles in the Sky".
Ringrose was born on 28 October 1825 in Tasmania, the second son of Lieutenant Atkins and Bertha Luttrell. He was a cousin of Edward Hungerford Luttrell, the husband of Georgiana Graves who is mentioned in the article concerning Robert Graves. Ringrose died at Armadale, Victoria on 9 August 1892.

On 18 August 1892, the Hobart Mercury published the following obituary which gives details of his life as a public servant. The article stated:
The death is announced of Mr Ringrose Austin Atkins, a very old servant of the colony at his residence where he had retired on his pension full of years and honour. From his earliest years he had been connected with the public service, first under the Imperial then the Colonial Governments.
 In 1842 he was junior clerk at Port Arthur in the storekeeper’s department, from which he worked himself up until he was entrusted with the management of the gaol for females at the Cascades.

He was twice married; first to Miss Frances Boyd daughter of the late stipendiary magistrate at the Franklin, and again to Miss Susan Wigmore who survived him and mourns her loss.   Since leaving the service he has paid a benefit trip to Europe but soon returned to the colonies where he has lived quietly until the last fatal illness overtook him. He was universally liked and respected for his kindness and disposition and uprightness of character, as well as for his sterling business abilities and the able way in which he carried out business of the various offices he held from time to time.
Susan Wigmore was superintendent and gaoler at the House of Corrections for Females from 1877-1878. She was also matron of the female prison at Brickfields. Some of her other positions included the Hiring Department of the Convict Department in September 1848, warden of the Female House of Corrections in 1852 when Ringrose was the storekeeper there, and matron at the Cascades Factory from 1865-1868. Ringrose and Susan were married in January 1871.

Following is a summary of the positions held by Ringrose Austin Atkins:
  • Superintendent's Clerk at Port Arthur (September 1841 to December 1844)
  • Storekeeper at Port Arthur (1845 to 1851)
  • Registrar of Contracts at Port Arthur for contract between settlers and the Convict Department (1848 to 1849)
  • Storekeeper at the Female House of Correction at Cascades and Brickfields (1851 to 1857)
  • Storekeeper at the Cascades Establishment (1856 to 1864)
  • Superintendent of the Cascades Pauper Establishment (1856 to 1864)
  • Gaoler and Superintendent at the Gaol and House of Correction for males at Hobart (1874 to 1878)
  • Superintendent at the Hospital for the Insane and the Male Invalid Depot at Cascades (April 1877)
Sadly, neither of the wives of Ringrose Atkins provided him with children.


http://members.iinet.net.au/~atkinsrj/Atkins-o/p5.htm#i3980


The parents of Ringrose Atkins were Lieut Thomas Atkins and Bertha Lutterell.

The Atkins family were first cousins of Ann Atkins, the wife of Richard-Harding Wigmore.

Lieut Thomas Atkins came to Australia around 1833, he died at Port Arthur in 1848
Another brother Lieut Robert Barker Atkins, was in the Military and another Ringrose Atkins was a Doctor in Cork




Bertha's family were descended from Sir Andrew Luttrell of Dunster Castle, Somerset.




Dunster Castle is a former motte and bailey castle, now a country house, in the village of Dunster, Somerset, England. The castle lies on the top of a steep hill called the Tor, and has been fortified since the late Anglo-Saxon period. After the Norman conquest of England in the 11th century, William de Mohun constructed a timber castle on the site as part of the pacification of Somerset. A stone shell keep was built on the motte by the start of the 12th century, and the castle survived a siege during the early years of the Anarchy. At the end of the 14th century the de Mohuns sold the castle to the Luttrell family, who continued to occupy the property until the late 20th century.


The castle was expanded several times by the Luttrell family during the 17th and 18th centuries; they built a large manor house within the Lower Ward of the castle in 1617, and this was extensively modernised, first during the 1680s and then during the 1760s. The medieval castle walls were mostly destroyed following the siege of Dunster Castle at the end of the English Civil War, when Parliament ordered the defences to be slighted to prevent their further use. In the 1860s and 1870s, the architect Anthony Salvin was employed to remodel the castle to fit Victorian tastes; this work extensively changed the appearance of Dunster to make it appear more Gothic and Picturesque.



















No comments:

Post a Comment