Saturday, August 11, 2018

FF2 Family James Bradshaw

James Bradshaw  m  Jemima Lydia Gunn

James Bradshaw was born 10th Oct 1802, he went to Norfolk Island with his parents, and was baptised on the island.  He returned on the Lady Nelson, in 1808.

With his brother William, he worked with his father supplying meat to the colony.
In 1821, he was joined with his father and brother William with the charge of assaulting Charles Horan. 

On 8th August  1827 he married Jemima Lydia Gunn, sister to Mary Jane Gunn who married his brother William.

They had 7 children:

James Thomas Bradshaw       B 1828          D 1902       m  Harriet Ann Day
Robert Jillett Bradshaw          B 1830          D 1867
Mary Bradshaw                      B 1832               D         William Henry Smith
Susan Bradshaw                     B 1835           D 1835        14 days old New Norfolk
Charlotte Bradshaw Jillett      B 1835           D  1835       14 days old  New Norfolk
Louisa Bradshaw Jillett          B 1837           D 1858
Charles Bradshaw                  B 1839                            m Phyllis Sophia Cramp
In the Lands Department records of 1823 it shows that James Bradshaw was granted 60 acres at Methven (York Plains).

In 1834, he took over the Ferry Inn at New Norfolk lately occupied by Mr John Bowden, (his brother in law).
In 1838 he placed an announcement in the newspaper about people trespassing on his land.  Seems that they were cutting his timber, he particularly mentions his relatives Samuel Gunn and George Proctor

James was listed as a farmer/hotelier.

In 1843, he was involved with the bushranger, Martin Cash, who robbed Thomas Shone and family.

The lengthy saga is produced in "The Life and Times of Thomas Shone", another of this family series.

 In 1854 his brother Thomas advertised a reward for cattle which had strayed, and asked they be taken to James Bradshaw at Catrine Vale.

In 1857 a James Bradshaw held the licence on "The Lord Morpeth" Hotel in Collins Street Hobart and in November 1857 he transferred the licence to Edward Chandler.

 1858 records show that he occupied 600 acres at Arundel, New Norfolk, comprising 600 acres, with an annual value of 55 pounds, and the Samuel Guy of Hobart Town was the owner.  James Bradshaw was the neighbour of Thomas Shone at New Norfolk.  Mention is also make of another parcel of 57 acres which had been granted to Robert Jillett.

His son James Bradshaw, may of course been the person referred to in many of the stories.

James was advertising a Blacksmith's shop, house and garden for rent in 1859

James Bradshaw died in 1858 in New Norfolk.

Robert Bradshaw was born 1830 and died of inflammation on the brain and lung disease

and he was a farmer.

Mary Bradshaw was born November 1832.

She married William James Smith in 1871.  He was a farmer aged 56 and she was 38

For William Henry Smith - See the Family Story on the Morrisby/Smith/Allomes

William Henry Smith: Became a whaler and lived on Bruni Island in 1839 when he entered into a land agreement with his father at Clarence Plains. In 1841 he and Charlotte were mentioned when he received a mortgage of 300 pounds for a lease of land at Ralph's Bay. His father's name was also on this document. (Lands Department Book 2 No 4989)

 One of the log books of William Smith has survived and is in the possession of the Crowther Collection in Hobart. It deals mainly with the voyage of the Maid Of Erin in 1871. Another entry for the same ship under Captain William Smith shows a load of 17.5 tons of Whale Oil. This is the ship's last voyage under William Smith. He sold the ship in 1873 to J.E.Rigby and it was lost at Port Davey when the anchor chain parted in a gale on 5th July 1877.

Most of the time it was a Whaler, but when whaling petered out it was used to transport timber and goods. Norman in his book Pioneer Shipping refers to the Maurie Laure as being captained by Sherwin from 1879 to 1883 and probably longer by William Smith - a black man (he was known to have a very dark complexion) and was brother of the finder of the most considerable quantity of ambergris ever picked up in the colony. (Not sure who they are talking about Sherwin or Smith)

 A Mary Ann Smith was born in 1836 but it is not confirmed if she is the daughter of William and Charlotte. Charlotte's death was registered by her brother William Bradshaw. She was noted as being a Whaler's wife. Note that his mother must have been very young when she married, 13 years.

Charlotte and Susan, twin girls died in 1835 aged 14 days.

 Louisa Bradshaw was born 1837 and died in 1858

Charles Bradshaw, was born in 1839 and he married Phyllis Sophia Cramp.

He died at his home at "Chilcombe" Table Cap in 1908.

Their children

  1.     1Mary Louisa Helen Bradshaw                1875
  2. .      Marion Grace Bradshaw                         1876  - 1943
  3. .      Alice Maud Elizabeth Bradshaw                        1878     1936
  4. .      Charles Henry Edwin Bradshaw            1879     1957
  5. .      James Robert Bradshaw                         1880                 m Nellie Daphnie Kruska
  6. .      Alfred Leonard Bradshaw                      1882     -1943  m  Ada Annie Jones

Harriet Ann Day  Her Family

Harriet Ann Day was the daughter of Charles and Harriet Day. Charles was at Glenorchy and an innkeeper. 

The story of the Ship Inn is included in the Cousins and Relations however, included here are some excerpts, as the license was held by Charles Day, father of Harriet Day.

.......After three years' residence in what had by this time become the principal hostelry in Hobart, he resolved to give it up, and on the 11th August, 1827, inserted the following notice in the Gazette:- 

"Benjamin Morris begs leave to return his most grateful thanks to his friends and the public, for their very liberal patronage, during the past three years he has occupied the Ship Inn, and being now about to leave tho above concern, has to request that those who stand indebted to him will liquidate their respective accounts forth-with," etc., so that it would appear that even in those days it was customary to "chalk up" a drink, and have to be reminded that payment for the same was necessary.

Mr. Charles Day was the next occupant of the Ship Inn, and the following announcement appeared in tho Gazette of September 29, 1827 :—"Mr. Charles Day having entered upon this establishment, takes leave most respectfully to solicit the kind patronage of his friends and the public," etc. Mr. Day was not alone in his proprietorship of this hotel, but had a partner named Mr. George Wise.
Messrs. Wise and Day had previously been in partnership, and carried on business as ginger-beer manufacturers, near the Wellington Bridge, almost on the same spot which Mr. Weaver's chemist shop now stands. During Messrs Wise and Day's regimé many alterations and improvements were made to the hotel. The billiard room was then upstairs, at the corner looking down Elizabeth-street.
There are many citizens of Hobart who can remember playing billiards in this room, which was small, and at one end there was not space enough to allow the players to use their ordinary cues, and they had to play with a short cue, termed the "broomstick." Messrs. Wise, and Day seeing the disadvantage of this, had the wall taken down, and re-built about 2ft. further out on the verandah. This addition caused a very peculiar formation of the side of the upper portion of the building next Elizabeth-street, which persons who have walked round the upper verandah could hardly fail to observe. Not long after this the new billiard room in Collins-street was built, and the old billiard room converted into a sitting and a bedroom.

Strange to say, the bar of the hotel was originally in almost the same spot as the bar recently used by Mr. Hadley. In those days publicans were closely watched by the police, and those who broke the law were taken before the magistrate and fined. The houses were all closed at 10 o'clock, and no one was admitted after that hour unless he was a lodger. Many gentlemen now alive can remember the land-lord of the Ship Hotel going round at 10 o'clock, and saying, "Gentlemen, I must now close and you will have to go, unless you intend to take a bed and stay all night." Some would take the hint and go, but others, wishing to spend an hour or two more in their host's comfortable bar-parlour, would enquire the price of a bed, put the money down, and then leave when they liked.

After several years of prosperity, during which the superiority of the Ship Hotel was fairly established, Messrs. Day and Wise dissolved partnership, and Mr. Wise for a time carried on business himself, after which he retired there from.

Charles was involved with the Ship Inn for many years.

In the early days of settlement, the family relationships were very intertwined.  Here is yet another where William Elwin the father in law of William Bradshaw Junior, was also involved with the Black Snake Inn.

..............In 1835, when the Bridgewater Causeway was under construction, Robinson offered the Black Snake Inn for lease. He described the Inn as "that most desirable Establishment ... with all its lucrative advantages from the Coaches and Ferry. The Inn itself is a spacious Stone Building with every convenience, comprising 15 rooms, namely - 3 large parlors, 2 well-finished sitting rooms, 6 up-stair rooms, 4 of which are neatly finished. The kitchen contains a large oven and a bed-room with store-room attached. The stables are large and commodious with coach-house, piggery, fowl-house; also a large garden well-stocked with fruit trees of the choicest kinds. 

Charles was previously at the Fox Inn[1]. The Fox Inn then changed to Traveller's Rest Inn.

This pub was originally built as a private residence. Susan Strickland had purchased some 10 acres of land sloping down from the eastern side of the Main Road to the River Derwent in 1832 and proceeded to have constructed "a truly delightful cottage residence" The property was advertised for sale in the "Colonial Times" in November 1835 and the notice highlighted "the inexhaustible fishing available from the Derwent and the bustling and amusing scene of the main road in front". Located on the main road with all the traffic heading to New Norfolk & Launceston passing the front door, the property was ideal for use as a public house.

In 1836, Charles Day bought the Black Snake Inn for £2400.  In 1837 he was seeking to lease the premises.

And in 1839 William Elwin took over the license.  Then Charles Day was licensee of the Old Fox
In 1839, confirmation of land transfers between Robinson/ Day/Abbott  could be the Black Snake Lands.


No comments:

Post a Comment