Monday, August 27, 2018

M10 Meet the Rellies Samuel Thomas Young




Meet The Rellies  #10










Spheres of Influence


The descendants of Robert Jillett and Elizabeth Bradshaw, have made their marks on many different places in Tasmania, including Bruny Island.

From there many were involved in Whaling.  Each of the Jillett daughters married someone involved in the whaling industry.  Of those spouses, all had an interest in Bruny Island.

Of the Jillett daughters the following relationships occurred:

Susanna Bradshaw/Jillett                      born   1805 married Charles Dowdell  1796 - 1832
Rebecca Elizabeth Bradshaw/Jillett      born   1806 married Capt William Young 1802 - 1866 
Eliza Jillett                                           born     1807   married John Bowden 1805 - 1862
Charlotte Daisy Jillett                           born    1815    married William Henry Smith  1814 - 1893
Robert Jillett                                         born    1812     married Etera Te Morere  1818 - 1863

Not all enjoyed prosperity and a long life.  Charles Dowdell was cannibalised in New Zealand in 1832.

By 1837 his brother in law was in New Zealand, and following the whaling industry.
Robert Jillett married the Tribal owner of land at Kaputi, where a whaling station was established.





Jilletts and Whaling Goes Hand in Hand!

This "Meet The Rellie" is the grandson of Rebecca Elizabeth Bradshaw/Jillett and William Young


Samuel Thomas Young


Samuel was a rather handsome man, who was born in 1841, the eight child of Captain William Young and his wife Rebecca Jillett.

Samuel married Susannah Lawrence 1839 to 1875.  Susannah was the daughter of Captain Lawrence and his wife Susannah Babington 1808 to 1893. He was the Pilot, for ships to Hobart.  They married in 1828.
Susannah died in 1875 leaving him with 5 children.  She may have died in childbirth


1.      Leslie Babington Young                       1866     1866
2.      Lionel Lawrence Young                                    1867     1946     m   Mary Susannah Hannah Pybus
a.      m  Isabelle Calvert
3.      Leonard William Babington Young       1868 -  1955     m  Marion Elizabeth Lucas
4.      Samuel Lothair Young                          1871     1949    m  Ellen Norman
5.      Constance Ella Young                          1874     1960     m Norman Pearce
6.      Leslie Babington Young                       1875     1875



He then married Florence Pybus and their children were:

7    Leslie Richard Young                           1877     1963    m Carolyn Louise Grave
8    Lester Clinton Young                           1878     1878
9    Male Young                                         1879
10  Florence Lavinia Young                                    1881     1964    m  Harry Bowling
11  Lena Mary Young                                 1883     1958     m Alfred Thomas Gibson Calvert
12  Laura Ellen Young                               1885     1970    m  Maurice Large

Samuel owned land in Bruni  Island, at Balls Bay, and was mentioned as having timber stolen from the lands.  He was also a Police Constable on the Island.  Their home was Brier's Lodge.  At the time of his death he was living at New Norfolk.

The marriages of the children brought other well known family relationships into the Jillett  lineage.

Those family lines were

Pybus/Lawrence/Grave/Bowling/Calvert/Large/Lucas/Babington

Each family has its own interesting background, and often involves yet another island, King Island.








2.  Lionel Lawrence Young married twice.
First to    Mary Susannah Hannah Pybus  and then to   Isabelle Calvert

Mary Pybus was the daughter of Richard Pybus and Sarah Gresley.
She was born on Bruny Island.

They had a daughter Mary Susannah Young who was born 1892 and died 1969.  She married Herbert Edwin Yoeland 1885 - 1966

Herbert was the son of William Yoeland and Fanny Denne.  Her parents were settlers on Bruni Island.

William Heady Yeoland  and his wife lived in the home TAURANGA at Middleton. This was on 20 odd acres on the Huon side of the property Stonehouse. Tauranga was built during the late 1880s. His occupation was an orchardist. He spent a lot of time sailing the Channel area and Port Davey with Bill Lindsay and Harry Denne. The Yeoland brothers purchased the "CRUISER" a 23ft overall from Bill Lindsay. It capsized shortly afterwards off the Shepherds in the Channel with the 3 brothers aboard, drowning Charles in a very heavy squall. Later the 2 remaining brothers owned the "Austral" a 28 footer. She won a first, (1887), two seconds and a third at the Hobart Regatta, in addition to many victories at Huon and Channel regattas.[1]

Mary's brother was Joseph Hunter Pybus who married Sarah Ann Bradshaw.  She was the daughter of William Bradshaw and Louisa Elwin, and the granddaughter of William Bradshaw and Mary Jane Gunn

Their daughter Gladys Pybus married Frederick Gray, who served in WWI.

Lionel and Mary had four children

Keith Lawrence Young             married Phyllis Luckman                                 
Trevor Morrisby Young             married Myrtle May Vera Hewett
Maxwell Walter Young             married Kathleen and they lived on Bruni Island
Nina Young                              married a Mr Gear

 



                                                        
Mercury (Hobart, Tas. : 1860 - 1954), Thursday 13 June 1946, page 6

Death Of Mr L. L. Young  Bruny Island Pioneer

THE death occurred at a private hospital, at Hobart, yesterday, of Mr Lionel Lawrence Young, a well-known identity of Bruny Island. He was in his 80th year.

Born at Variety Bay, North Bruny, he lived on the island for most of his life, successfully carrying on mixed farming at his property. Nebraska, near Dennes Pt. He maintained this activity until eight years ago, when he retired to live at Rockside, Huon Rd., the home of his son Mr Trevor M. Young.
He was a member of the initial Bruny Island Road Trust and subsequently of the municipal council that replaced it. In days before motor transport he traversed all parts of Bruny Island on horseback on public affairs. He was a playing member and officer of the Bruny Cricket Club, and frequently played in representative country elevens.

He married Miss Hannah Isabel Calvert, of South Arm, a sister of the late Mr W. H. Calvert, a former member of the Legislative Council. He is survived by his wife and his sons Keith, Trevor, and Max, and daughters, the Misses Nina and Joyce Young. His sons Keith and Max work the Nebraska property.
Mr Young for many years was a warden of St. Peter's Church of England at Barnes Bay, Bruny Island. The funeral will take place  there tomorrow.




3.  Leonard Young married Marion Lucas.




Marion was the daughter of John Lucas and Sophia Strang.  John's heritage was through Thomas Lucas and Ann Howard, and their son John, who was born on Norfolk Island.
Their daughter was Ethel Marion Young.

Ethel Young was a librarian in the Health Department for 25 years until her retirement in 1964. She then joined the faculty of medicine at the University of Tasmania as an assistant librarian and helped establish the medical library. She worked there until 1985, when she transferred to the Menzies Centre for Population Health Research at the University where she was honorary librarian from its opening in January 1988 until her death. She was also, for 10 years Honorary Librarian at the Allport Library and the Museum of Fine Arts and between 1951 and 1974 she was a member of the committee of the Sunshine Home for Underprivileged Children. Cancer research has benefited from her bequest to the University of Tasmania.   
   
 She also was on the board of the Sunshine Home. Her personal papers are at the Tasmanian Library.  She toured Bougainville in 1933. 





Tasmanian News (Hobart, Tas. : 1883 - 1911), Tuesday 28 April 1908, page 2

A LINK WITH THE PAST.  DEATH OF MR JOHN LUCAS.


The last link with the old ship-building days—the roaring days of the whale industry and schooner building in Tasmania—was severed on Monday by the death, at the ripe old age of 82 years, of Mr. John Lucas, ship designer and builder. As early as the year 1848— sixty years ago—the deceased was actively engaged in his chosen profession. He was a native of Tasmania, having first seen light at Brown's River, where his parents resided when they arrived in the colony, just a hundred years -since. The deceased early showed aptitude for ship-building, and it was not long before he became a widely recognised authority in all matters appertaining to ship-building. For many years he was foreman for that prince of shipbuilders, the late Mr. John Watson, and while acting in that capacity he designed, built, and completely rigged several well-known vessels, including the schooner Eclipse, which was one of the fastest local built vessels of that class in those days. After he severed connection with Mr. Watson, Mr. Lucas started in business for himself and the vessels built by him were schooners Lily, Kingston, and Erne the barques Waratah and Oceans. The last-named schooner long claimed proud title of the fastest vessel out of the port of Hobart, and story of her speed was not confined to those shores. He also built and designed the famous yacht Volant. Not least interesting feature of this identity was his memory, which has justly been described "as nothing short of wonderful."  He could recall to mind, the slightest effort, the length, breadth, depth, beam and rig, etc., of any vessel for the last fifty years. His memory was clear right to the last. 

It is interesting to note in passing that within the last fortnight there has passed away two other old ship-builders —Messrs. Thomas Abel and Joseph Smith—both of whom worked for Mr. Lucas for many years. Deceased leaves several sons, one of whom is manager of the Commercial Bank at Wynyard, another, Mr. W. J. Lucas, following his father's profession of a ship-builder, and a third is chief officer of the Huddart, Parker, and Co. steamer Burrumbeet. The Hon. W. J. Lucas is his brother.
Capt John Lucas was a Hobart ship-builder and nephew of Thomas Lucas, the whaler. He built 13 vessels between 1859 and 1883 including the much admired barque OCEANA The man who ordered this vessel got into financial difficulties and Lucas received a grandfather chair as part payment.
His uncle Thomas established a whaling station at Adventure Bay on Bruny Island in 1825 and four years later formed at partnership  with Captain James Kelly.  The two men had other stations including those at Slopen Island and Maria Island.  Thomas also had interests in several Hotels in the Hobart region, a well-respected Publican. 



4.  Samuel Lothair Young married Ellen Norman  
They had a daughter Joan Young who married Leslie Henry Bradshaw, the son of Copeland Cobden Bradshaw and Annie Elizabeth Ransley / William Bradshaw and Louisa Elwin
Their great nephew on the Bradshaw lineage was Keith Oscar Bradshaw.
Their third cousin on the Calvert lineage was Dr Ashton Calvert

5.  Constance Young married Norman Pearce   Their daughter Kathleen Lawrence Pearce, married                              Robert Blair Hay and divorced in 1944. She married Mr Nolan, and was fined                                 for speeding in 1954!



The Grave Family

7. Leslie Richard Young married Caroline Louise Grave

King Island News (Currie, King Island : 1912 - 1954), Wednesday 23 December 1953, page 2

HALF CENTURY OF KING ISLAND LIFE  GOLDEN WEDDING OE MR. & MRS. L. R; YOUNG.

On Monday of last week December, well-known Island residents Mr and Mrs L. R. Young looked back on 50 years of married life, all spent on King Island where their children— Mrs J. Watson and Messrs R. L. and Lindsay Young— have spent their lives The anniversary of the wedding at Low Head in 1904 was observed last week with  a family dinner at the Watson's at which telegrams, cards, letters, cheques and presents were received from far and near.  Mrs Hill was responsible for the artistic decoration of the fine wedding cake provided for the occasion.

Mr Young, Senr., born on Bruny Island, came here just about 53 years ago but his wife has known the local scene for the best part of three score years and ten. Mrs Young's grandfather — Kentish-born Mr William Hickmott — came to King Island only six or seven years short of a century ago and  left a real mark on community progress in his subsequent 62 years as a King. Islander, Then came his only daughter who came as near being an Island legend as is possible in her 89 years of life that ended in September, 1950.

Known first as Miss Caroline Louise Hickmott, she later raised a family of six as Mrs Grave — (Mrs Young was her eldest daughter)— in the adventurous pioneering days of shipwrecks and the like. Again married and widowed, she died as Mrs Burke at Currie.-Mr and Mrs Young shared much of this history and spend their lives now in the northern areas surrounding "The Springs," scene of the first home of the family and first permanent residence on King Island, Typical of the part that the family has endeavoured to play in Island life, Mr and Mrs Young made an early visit to Currie after their happy celebrations of last week to offer a thanksgiving in the form of donations to the Red Cross and the Elderly Peoples' Homes

 
Henry Grave was a wallaby hunter on King Island during the 1880s. This image was taken by Archibald James Campbell on the Field Naturalists Expedition to King Island in 1887. Grave acted as one of the two guides for the party.  Museum Victoria Collections


Wallaby hunter, Henry Grave and his family in front of their dwelling on King Island. His wife Caroline is holding son, Arthur. Alongst side Grave stands his daughter, Louise and at the far right is Hickmotte.The house is made from materials salvaged from the wreckage of the ship Loch Leven which went aground on the northern tip of King Island in 1871.

Louise was Caroline Louise Grave, wife of Leslie Richard Young.  Son of Samuel and Florence.
Her grandfather was the Lighthouse Keeper at Wickham Lighthouse on King Island.

Shipwrecks & Early Settlement

The treacherous waters of Bass Strait have claimed hundreds of ships and more than a thousand lives. Ever since Bass Strait was charted by George Bass and Matthew Flinders in 1798, many ship’s captains have decided to risk the dangerous passage to shorten the time to reach Sydney. Many have come to grief. The King Island Maritime Trail “Shipwrecks & Safe Havens" tells some of the stories of the shipwrecks, both heart-breaking and heroic. It also tells of the safe havens set up at Currie and Grassy, and of the welcome lighthouses built at Cape Wickham and Currie. In the words of keeper William Hickmott, “I suppose there are no lights in these waters so blest by sailors as the two upon King Island.”
Cataraqui Shipwreck Memorial, King Island, 1887 - the worst Maritime disaster, 400 victims, 314 bodies buried on King Island in 5 graves.

 

 



The Bowling Family

10.  Florence Young married Harry Bowling in 1903, at St Peters, North Bruni Island.
They had 2 sons and a daughter, Constance. 
Charles Dutton Bowling and Douglas Wyatt Bowling.  Charles lived at Currie on King Island and played the accordion at functions.  Douglas and his wife Winifred lived at Margate in Queensland, after many years on King Island, as a dairy farmer.  They later lived on the Gold Coast.  



There are some stories about Mary Bowling.  Whether this is Harry's mother Mary or someone else named Mary Bowling, the story is that they farmed for a while, then after her husband died, she thought she would go to New Zealand, however there had been an earthquake, and she found King Island, which was just being developed was a remarkable lady

King Island lured a trickle of pastoralists, mostly from Victorian farms. In 1901 the Island population was estimated at 242; the following year, the first dairy cooperative on the Island was formed and Mrs Mary Bowling turned the first sod for the King Island Dairy. In 1910 and 1911, there was a boom in land selection (over 200,000 acres were taken up), bought mostly by Melbourne-based speculators, and farmed by ‘genuine’ settlers.

Their arrival had a major impact: in 1910 the inaugural agriculture show was held, the first stock sale took place and, by 1911 the population had risen to 778 (Hooper, 1973: 86). However, as the outbreak of the First World War saw some 20% of King Island’s adult male population enlist for service, there was little agricultural development for its duration.

After the War, the Australian government faced a major challenge in the repatriation of the country’s
service personnel. Employers were largely indifferent to the returnees, and generally ignored any
obligation to rehire those that had served abroad. .....

The Hughes Government introduced the Soldier Settler Scheme. The idea was to sell the ex-service-people small blocks of rural land on low interest rates in the hope that they would become productive, prosperous farms. The government’s policy mantra was ‘Men, Money and Markets’ and this meant populating rural areas, providing start-up settlement funds, and finding markets for the produce it assumed would be bountifully forthcoming      (Molony, 1987: 244).

As with the rest of the country, Canberra’s plan to allocate land lots to returned soldiers on King Island was largely a failure. In 1919 the scheme established fifty new farms, plus the consolidation of some existing ones.

As in other places, there was a very high walkout rate amongst the ‘soldier settlers’, largely due to the inadequacy of the lots, the inexperience of the novice farmers, and a distinct lack of governmental guidance. The pattern surfaced during the Second World War too: a slump due to wartime disruptions, plus a repeat of a ‘soldier settlement’ scheme, as the 168 farms that were made available between 1946 and 1948 led to similarly poor results (Hooper, 1973: 87).

By 1949, there were just 100 farms on the Island, 95 of which were dairy operations. The War Service
Land and Closer Settlement Schemes, which began in 1950, added 153 farms over the next 12
years: 108 dairy farms and 45 sheep properties (BAE, 1977: 3).

Harry's mother and her husband Thomas sailed to Melbourne in 1892, and Mary Bowling made two more trips to England and returned, one in 1901 and her brother came back with her, and another when she was 70.


In the decades after it was opened up for selection, and alongside the boom in scheelite mining.
Charles Bowling  Cheesemaker King Island   Island Agriculture.  On this island there were three Charles Bowlings.  Just for some confusion.  It seems that there were two or more, distinct families settled at the same time. 

Cheese lovers recognise the King Island Brand, perhaps those in the Jillett Family were unaware that there were any family connections.!     Cheese, Beef, Lobsters, Golf and Kelp - all things that keep industry alive on the Island.

And one other, Peter Bowling, who runs the Surprise Bay Pastoral Co.
At the southern extreme of the island, Peter Bowling pulls the very first King Island Cup off the shelf.
Engraved is the Bowling name and the year 1892. A horse racing club formed just four years after the first land was taken up by settlers.  "Back then, to keep the cup you had to win the race three times, and my Great Uncle Willie won his third in 1903," Peter says.

"There were so few people living on the island and yet they formed a racing club. They haven't missed a season since."


Meanwhile, private butter and cheese makers had continued to operate even after the opening of the factory in 1902, largely because of the transport difficulties. Of the larger concerns, the Bow ling family was well-known for the butter made at their various properties. Hugh Bowling of Surprise Bay (map reference Y A363543) had a contract to supply butter to a Hobart biscuit factory around 1900.
William Bowling was also involved in the industry as well.  Considering Harry's family did not arrive in Melbourne until 1892, they would have to be from a different branch of the Bowling family.






The Calvert Family


Laura Mary Young and Lionel Young married siblings of the Calvert Family

Hannah Calvert and Alfred Calvert were the children of William Calvert and his wife Catherine Morrisby.

Catherine was the daughter of Elizabeth Mack and Henry Morrisby. Elizabeth Mack was the adopted daughter of Rev Robert Knopwood.  Her mother died before she was one, and arrived as a First Settler.  Her father was an unknown Marine.  Elizabeth and Henry had two children, and she died shortly after the birth of Catherine. 

Henry Morrisby then married Christine Smith. 

Hannah's brothers were Members of the Tasmanian Legislative Assembly, she was the sister of William Henry Fairfax Calvert who was a member of Tasmanian Parliament 1872 - 1942.  He was an orchardist at Esperence.

Her brother David Charles Hedley Calvert 1875 - 1924 was also a member of Tasmanian Parliament.
Her brother Alfred Thomas Gibson Calvert 1880 - 1951  married Lena Mary Young 1883 - 1958
Lena was the half sister of Lionel Lawrence Young. 

11.  Lena Mary Young married and Alfred Thomas Gibson Calvert  and their children were
Lena Young married Alfred Thomas Gibson Calvert a cricket man and a farmer of South Arm, on a property known as "Clifton Estate"

1.      Doris Clare Calvert       1904     married Keith Marfell Lester
2.      Geoffrey Alfred Calvert 1907     married Florence Marjorie Grace Briant
3.      Richard Bruce Calvert   1922     married Isa Agnes Westerway
4.      Lena Madge Calvert      1910     married John Maxwell Gregory
5.      Phyllis Ellen Calvert     1913     married Wilfred Arthur Walker
6.      Brian Samuel Calvert    1914     married Stella Dora Corfield
7.      Noel William Calvert    1919



Free settler William Calvert arrived in 1832, and in 1851 he and his wife Hannah bought land at South Arm. The family prospered, receiving top prices for apples and pears exported to London. Always enterprising, the Calverts ran coastal steamers transporting goods and passengers, provided postmistresses and teachers for South Arm, and built a community hall.

Several Calvert sons and grandsons settled in other areas of Clarence, the Huon and the Channel, and were prominent in orcharding (Reginald), sailing (Hedley), cricket (Snowy and Bob), shooting (Roy) and public life generally: many were justices of the peace, and at one time the twelve Clarence councillors included four Calverts.

Three great-grandchildren rose to national fame: Rhodes Scholar Ashton Calvert AC became secretary of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade in 1998, Paul Calvert was made President of the Senate in 2002, and Marilyn Lake, née Calvert, is a leading historian, holding the chair in Australian Studies at Harvard University 2001–02.
Further reading: E Robb, Christopher Calvert and his descendants Hobart, 1985.


Examiner (Launceston, Tas. : 1900 - 1954), Tuesday 9 June 1942, page 4


Obituary Mr. W. H. Calvert The death occurred at a private hospital in Hobart yesterday of Mr. William Henry Calvert, prominent orchardist, who held the Huon seat in the Legislative Council from December. 1924, until his retirement owing to ill-health in May last. Mr. Calvert, who was a son of the late Mr. William Thomas Calvert, of South Arm, was born at Geelong, Victoria, on February 14, 1871. At the age of 21 he settled in the Huon district, where he took over the management of the Forest Home estate. He later acquired the property, which was the birthplace of the famous Australian singer, Madame Amy Sherwin, and the apples and pears he produced there, with those on other properties he acquired, earned for him prizes at most of the large agricultural shows in the Commonwealth.

Much of the success which Mr. Calvert enjoyed as a fruitgrower was due to his modern methods of production. He established the first privately-owned cool store in the district, with accommodation for 12,000 cases of fruit, and also constructed the most up-to-date apple houses and packing sheds. Amongst his most outstanding successes as an exhibitor were at the Royal Sydney Show and the Wembley Exhibition in 1931. Mr. Calvert, when a member of the Huon Road Trust, first sought Parliamentary honours on the death of his brother in 1924.

He won the seat and retained it until shortly before his death. He was a member of the State Fruit Advisory Board from its inception, and when that body was abolished he became a member of the State Fruit Board. He also represented the interests of growers on the Australian Apple and Pear Council. He was chairman of the Port Huon Fruitgrowers' Association, and took a keen interest in the affairs of the Huon district, although in recent years he lived in Mawhera-avenue, Lower Sandy Bay. Mr. Calvert was keenly interested in sport, and was prominently associated with cricket and football.
He played grade cricket for West Hobart for one season, and, with his son, Mr. Douglas Calvert, set an Australian record for father and son when in a partnership both scored centuries, He was for a period secretary of the Huon Cricket Association. and captained many combined and club teams.
In 1925 he married Miss Gwenneth McDougal, who survives him. He also leaves a son, Mr. Douglas Calvert, and two daughters by a former marriage Miss Molly Calvert (Hobart) and Beatrice (Mrs. John Murell, Adelaide). Interment will take place at South Arm to-morrow morning.

The first Calvert to Tasmania was Christopher Calvert and his wife Hannah Watson.
Several lineages stem from William Thomas Calvert and John Calvert.
The family feature many well known sporting identities, and excelled in cricket and sailing.
Don Calvert is from the John Calvert lineage, and a second cousin to Lena Young.
This family owned the property "Ralphdene" at South Arm

He is in the Tasmanian Yachting Hall of Fame.


Hobart yachtsman Don Calvert sailed in his first Bruny Island Yacht Race 55 years ago, aboard his father Charles’ famous yacht Caprice, later to be known as Caprice of Huon. 
They won that Bruny Island race in 1957, and thus began a remarkable history of family success in what is now Australia’s oldest ocean yacht race.

In the early hours of this morning, Don personally won the 89 nautical mile circumnavigation of the island to the south of Hobart overall for a record ninth time when he steered his Castro 40, Intrigue, across the finish line in seventh place in the 25 boat fleet.

The Royal Yacht Club of Tasmania’s Bruny Island Race has three handicap divisions, AMS, IRC and PHS, with AMS results deciding the overall winner of the race.   

In 1984 Don built a new yacht, Intrigue, hoping to take his ocean racing further. "Intrigue is the a 40 foot ocean racing yacht that I still sail today". She was designed by Tony Castro and built by Noel Wilson and Rodney Goode from Tasmanian timbers.  

In 1985 Don and his crew were lucky enough to be selected to represent Australia in the Admiral's Cup, the unofficial world championship of ocean racing. "Due to the great efforts of my talented Tasmanian crew we finished 10th overall and Australia finished 4th and we were lucky enough to be the top Australian yacht" he said. 

As a result of this, Don was awarded the title of Australian Ocean Racer of the Year in 1985.
"We would never have been able to go to England had it not been for the RYCT members and the then Commodore, Olaf Herdberg, who initiated a great fundraising committee made up of members from all the yacht clubs"

Don Calvert joined the Royal Yacht Club of Tasmania in 1952 as a junior member when he was 17 and as a senior member in 1961. Now over 70, his passion for sailing is just as strong and he shows no signs of slowing down.

Don first crewed in a cadet dinghy named Viking with his brother Hedley and the helmed the same boat with Picton Hay and Frank Ikin. The crew won the RYCT pennant and represented Tasmania in the Stonehaven Cup in 1953. 

His son is Bruce Calvert, another Yachtsman of distinction, as was his son Bruce Calvert, who sadly died aged 43.

Hobart yachtsman Don Calvert gave himself an early 82nd birthday gift on Saturday with a convincing double win in his 33-year-old yacht Intrigue in the Combined Clubs pennant race on the River Derwent. Calvert skippered Intrigue to first place on corrected time under both the AMS and IRC rating categories, continuing his remarkable success in a variety of racing on the river that goes back 65 years.   (November 2017)[3]

His son Bruce died 2008

On Saturday, 20 October, Tasmanian yachtsman Bruce Calvert, proudly skippered his sports boat ABN AMRO Morgans with its brand new mast for the first time in the Derwent Sailing Squadron’s pennant race on Hobart’s Derwent River.

Just four weeks later, on 20 November Bruce died, six and a half months after being diagnosed with cancer. It was his final sail at the age of 43.

Bruce was a son of Don and Jill Calvert, Don a past Commodore of the RYCT, and with his brother David had taken over management of the family plastics packaging business down the d’Entrecastreaux Channel.

'His first Sabot was called Inflation – because you couldn’t keep up to it,' Don Calvert recalled with pride this week.

From Sabots, Bruce went on to sail Cadet dinghies, representing Tasmania in the Stonehaven Cup, then Fireballs and International Dragons in which he sailed Jock Robbie to an outstanding victory in the Prince Philip Cup, the national championship for the class in 1997.

Bruce went with his father to England as a member of the crew of Don’s One Tonner Intrigue, Tasmania’s first member of an Australian Admiral’s Cup in 1985. He also contested a number of Sydney Hobart Races, including the storm swept 1998 race aboard the Tasmanian yacht Computerland.

Bruce was renowned for his seamanship and boat handling capability when the going got tough. As John Saul, skipper of Computerland in the ’98 Hobart, said at his funeral, the only time he could sleep was when Bruce was on the helm – and they had a reasonable crew! Such was the trust in his ability to steer a boat.

His brother-in-law, Matthew Knight, who sailed with Bruce a lot, agreed. 'There was no one more controlled on a boat. I never heard him raise his voice in anger,' Matthew said.

'Bruce had the utmost respect for his crew and being able to do every job on the boat himself, he recognised when someone was under the pump or had made an error and never berated them for it or lost his cool. He just got on making the most of the situation. He was like this in life, too.'
In recent seasons, Bruce has campaigned his spectacularly fast sports boat ABN AMRO Morgans with considerable success in RYCT/DSS club pennant racing and in Sailing South Race Week regattas along with travelling to Hogs Breath Race Week in Airlie Beach, and Skandia Geelong Week in recent years.

The yacht broke its mast at the end of last season and Saturday, 20 October was Bruce’s first and last race with the new rig. His health declined rapidly afterwards.

Justly, Don and Jill are very proud of Bruce’s achievements as a sailor, a businessman with a natural bent towards electronics, as a family man and as a friend to many people. As Don said to me, Bruce Calvert will be sadly missed in Hobart. 


Read more at http://www.mysailing.com.au/news/intrigue-wins-their-ninth-bruny-island-yacht-race#GRSPv71tOc7yfbAz.99
https://www.sail-world.com/Australia/Bruny-Island-Race--Calvert-family-yachting-legend-continues/-93828?source=google

The wines are made in the Dysart winery of David Calvert, who has a similarly small pinot noir-focused vineyard called Bonnie Vue. For the time being hands-on management of the vineyard has passed to Marc McLaughlin, while Duncan has moved to Wagga Wagga and lectures at CSU in vineyard establishment






Dr Ashton Trevor Calvert AC (9 November 1945 – 16 November 2007) was a senior Australian public servant. He was Secretary of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade between April 1998 and January 2005.

Ashton Calvert was born on 9 November 1945 in Hobart, Tasmania. He was the great-grandchild of free settler to Tasmania William Calvert, who had arrived on the island in 1832.
Ashton Calvert attended Hobart High School and then the University of Tasmania. As a Rhodes Scholar, he went on to attend Oxford University, attaining a doctorate in mathematics. During his time at Oxford, Calvert was the president-cox of the Oxford rowing team.

Calvert joined the Australian Public Service in 1970 in the Department of External Affairs (later Department of Foreign Affairs).[4] His first overseas post was to Japan in 1971, where he spent four years.   In October 1993, after nearly two years as a staffer in then Prime Minister Paul Keating's office, Calvert was appointed Australian Ambassador to Japan.
Calvert was appointed Secretary of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade in April 1998. During his time as Secretary of the department, Calvert made significant contributions to the Doha Development Round trade negotiations and helped to secure a deal to launch negotiations for a free trade agreement between Australia, New Zealand and the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (since concluded). Calvert retired from his Secretary role in January 2005.

Calvert joined the Rio Tinto Board with effect from 1 February 2005. In August 2005 he was appointed to the Woodside Petroleum Board. He resigned from both boards in November 2007 due to illness, after a medical diagnosis of aggressive cancer. On 16 November 2007, in Canberra, Calvert died from cancer at age 62

Ashton Calvert was made a Companion of the Order of Australia in January 2003 for service to the development of Australian foreign policy, including advancement of business relations between Australia and Japan, and for leadership and highly distinguished contributions to Australia's overall economic and security interests at critical times in the international environment.  

In 2009, a street in the Canberra suburb of Casey was named Ashton Calvert Street to honour Calvert.
He was with Paul Keating on New Year's Day 1992 when the Australians put to George Bush senior the outline plan that was to become APEC, and with Keating at Balmoral when the then prime minister told the Queen that Australia didn't need her any more.
He was with John Howard in Washington on September 11, 2001, and close to the decision-making over the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, the Indian Ocean tsunami and the first Bali bombing. He regarded his involvement with East Timor's independence from Indonesia as the highlight of his career.

Ashton Trevor Calvert was born in Hobart to Reginald and Noreen Calvert and brought up on their apple orchard at Kettering. After primary school, he was educated at Hobart High and the University of Tasmania, graduating from a science degree with first-class honours in mathematics. He won a Rhodes scholarship to Oxford, earning a PhD in mathematics and becoming the first cox appointed president of the university Boat Club.    

 https://www.smh.com.au/national/diplomat-always-at-the-centre-20071123-gdrnyl.html

An Amazing Co-Incidence


Paul Henry Calvert, AO (born 19 January 1940), Australian politician, was a Senator for Tasmania from 1987 to 2007, and was President of the Australian Senate from 2002 to 2007.

Born into a long established farming family based outside Hobart, Calvert still runs a property in Tasmania. He was active in local government, serving as Warden (the title later changed to Mayor) of the City of Clarence, on Hobart's eastern shore. He was also President of the Royal Agricultural Society of Tasmania. In 1987 he was elected to the Australian Senate, after declining an invitation by the former Liberal Premier of Tasmania, Robin Gray, to run for the House of Assembly after a successful career in local government and agri-politics. He was re-elected in 1990, 1996 and 2001.

In 1997 Calvert became the government's Senate Whip. He became President following Margaret Reid in 2002, and was re-elected in 2005. Early in his presidency he tackled the archaic five department structure of the Australian Parliament, and achieved a streamlining to 3 departments – one for each Chamber and one looking after joint services.
On 7 August 2007 Calvert announced his intention to resign his position as President of the Senate on 14 August and to resign as a Senator for Tasmania before the Senate resumed on 10 September.  He was succeeded as Senate President by South Australian Liberal Senator Alan Ferguson. He formally resigned as a Senator on 29 August 2007. In 2008 he was appointed a member of the Governing Council of Old Parliament House in Canberra.
As part of the 2009 Queen's Birthday Honours list, he was appointed an Officer of the Order of Australia.




Another Family member was also involved with the Senate.



12  Laura Ellen Young married Maurice Large
Her husband was also involved in the fruit industry.

Huon and Derwent Times (Tas. : 1933 - 1942), Thursday 18 December 1941, page 4

OBITUARY
Maurice Gerald Large

The death occurred at Hobart on 5 th inst of Maurice Gerald Large, at the age of 50 years. The late Mr Large, was one of the first packing instructors appointed to assist growers, in. the packing and presentation of fruit, and joined the staff of the Horticultural Division of the Department of Agriculture in 1934, and commenced duties at Huonville. During recent years he had been stationed . in the Derwent  Valley, Bagdad and Channel districts where he also carried out the duties of: Inspector and. Crop Measuring Officer under the Apple and Pear Acquisition Scheme.
His services in the different fruit districts were essentially of a practical nature and many fruit packers who now operate in commercial sheds obtained their initial tuition at the classes he conducted. 'Morrie,' as. he was generally known, was 'a very conscientious and painstaking officer and through his services had made friends with orchardists throughout Southern Tasmania, where he will always be remembered for his courtesy and readiness to assist in any matter within the capacity of his duties.

He  was keenly interested in football and always welcomed Huon footballers when they played in city matches. The cremation service was conducted by the Rev. A. A. Bennett, of St. Peter's, Sandy Bay, the chief mourners being Mrs L. E. Large, Miss M. Large (daughter) , Mrs E. Crombie (sister), Mrs A. G. Calvert (sister-in-law), Messrs E. Crombie and E. Richardson. Others present were officers of the U.A.O.D. (Huonville branch) Lodge, Sir John McPhee, Messrs P. H. Thomas, T. D. Raphael, W. Frank Walker and many other officers of the Department of Agriculture. Funeral arrangements Were carried out by Alex Clark and Sons.



The Lawrence Family


Susannah was the daughter of William Lawrence and Susannah Babington.  Susannah was the daughter of convict Edward Babington and his wife Mary Brown.  He came to Australia in 1824, and worked for a master who paid for his wife's passage to the Colony.

Edward was convicted at the March Assizes 1823 of slaughtering and stealing a sheep at Revesby and 'leaving the carcass behind'. He was given a life sentence to Tasmania. Edward's wife, Mary Brown, was allowed to join him in Tasmania with five of their children in 1826. Edward had been assigned as a convict to work for a landholder near Launceston, Tasmania. The landholder gained permission for Mary's passage to Tasman.  Mary was ill on the voyage with what appears to be migraines.

William and Susannah were married in Hobart in 1828.  The does not appear to be any research attributed to William prior to the marriage.  How then did he arrive in Tasmania?

In all probability, he arrived in 1818, as crew on a ship the "Sinbad".  It had recently been constructed in Sydney, and travelled to Hobart, where it seems the captain did not pay seven of the crew.  The Captain was George Barnard.
William received land grants and assignees. There were two William Lawrence, one William E. Lawrence.  One of them was in prison in 1829.  Capt Lawrence sailed ships to Sydney on occasions, and became the pilot in Tasmania.

William and Susannah were married in 1828 in Hobart. 

William died in 1884, and of interest was his will which was probated in London in 1886. 
That indicated he may have had interests in UK.  The Attorneys were Augustus Nash Spong and Edward Nash Spong.

William and Susannah had four children.  Their eldest daughter Mary Lawrence 1834 - 1891 married Edward Nash Sprong  1818 - 1907.  They lived at Cape Wickham, King Island, were Edward was the lighthouse keeper.  After his death she remained.

Her sister Esther Lawrence 1836 - 1907 married Augustus Nash Spong 1827 - 1900

The father of Augustus and Edward was Thomas Spong Esq of Mill Hall in Kent.  His family are mentioned as having acquired a coal mine.

It would seem that it was the Spong family who acquired the mill, probably when it was put up
for sale in 1807.10 John Spong of Aylesford, father of the John Spong associated with May, was a
coal merchant and had paid parish rates on the coal wharf at Snodland since 1793. Evidently it
was he who made the purchase since in his own will of 20 August 1814 he bequeathed ‘Snodland
mill and the several cottages attached thereto’ to his son William, then living at Snodland.11 This
merely confirmed the status quo, for the manorial meeting of 25 October 1810 had already noted
the transfer of the mill from John May to William Spong and his partner Isaac Wenman, the
papermaker master. The Spong family continued to own the mill until at least 1842, leasing it to
various papermaker masters. After Wenman’s death in 1815, his widow Ann alienated Snodland
Court Lodge (being a house and 22 acres) to James Martin.       John Spong was the grandfather of the boys.     
                                                                                           
While on King Island, Edward Spong discovered gold, or his son did,

Launceston Examiner (Tas. : 1842 - 1899), Saturday 27 April 1872, page 2

GOLD AT KING'S ISLAND, AND ON NORTH-WEST COAST. Information has just been received by A. N. Spong, Esq., of this town, from his brother, Mr Edward Nash Spong, Superintendent of the Lighthouse at King's Island, that he has discovered gold there in paying quantities. The discovery was originally made about three months ago by Mr. Spong's son, a little boy eight years old, who found some gold whilst out kangarooing. The fact was kept a profound secret from all the residents on the island lest inconvenient effects should follow; but Mr. Spong seems to have availed himself of opportunities for prosecuting the search, which has resulted in his communicating the discovery to the Government, and forwarding to the Executive an ounce of gold.

 A few visitors to the island from Victoria had ascertained the fact, and one of them, Mr A . J. Johnson, has applied for permission to work, and a miner's license has been issued to him, and also one to Mr. Spong's son. The reef, it is said, is on that part of the coast near where the Loch Leven was recently wrecked. It runs into the sea and extends inland between the scene of that disaster and the light-house-keeper's garden. Where it runs into the sea the reef is 12 ft thick, and its trend N. by S., and S. by W. The cap of the reef is seen cropping up in patches 15 feet across, but the trend is displaced inland to S and S. by E. The plan shows the line of the reef 350 yards from the corner of the garden fence, and also by the water's edge. The country round about is marked as chiefly composed of limestone hills. The plan also shows that on the other side of the lighthouse gold has been found in the casing of a small leader.

 
The Cape Wickham Lighthouse is a lighthouse situated at Cape Wickham on King Island, Tasmania. At 48 metres (157 ft) tall, it is Australia's tallest lighthouse. The lighthouse is listed on the Commonwealth Heritage Register.




There are eleven timber flights of stairs in the lighthouse, with twenty steps each, which must be climbed in order to reach the top. Surrounding the lighthouse are the remains of a number of associated buildings, including a small church. There are also a number of gravestones, many belonging to those who were shipwrecked in the area after the lighthouse was built.[4]

Recapping - William Young's sister -in-laws were resident on King Island.



The Pybus Family


Florence was the daughter of Richard Pybus and Margaret Harrison. Richard Pybus was a Constable, and had enormous leases of lands on Bruni Islands.  The reasons might lie in his controversy with a Dr Crowther.
Mr Pybus and Dr Crowther were subject to some interesting facts, which have been written in subsequent books.  Mr Pybus had over 10,000 acres of land. 

Tasmanian Morning Herald (Hobart, Tas. : 1865 - 1866) Monday 26 November 1866
Richard Pybus, who received a large grant of land on Bruny Island when it was still in Aboriginal ownership. Several acres were excised from his Bruny Grant as a gift to the Church of England. Pybus was an Anglican lay preacher and a ‘pious man’, who seems to have had a genuine commitment to the Church and its faith. Yet as Cassandra Pybus notes: ‘Nothing constrained him from selling most of this free gift of land when property values skyrocketed during the 1840s."

Barrett’s 1942 history of the Church in Tasmania lists
Henry Harrison Pybus married Mary Jane Kerr and their children are
Ernest Pybus                            1854
Ada Victoria Elizabeth Pybus    1854
Henry Austin Kerr Pybus          1855     1866
Florence Pybus                         1858  - 1939  M  Samuel Thomas Young
Ida Margaret Pybus                   1858     1922   m  Charles Henry Dinham
Percy John Pybus                      1862 - 1886   Drown in yachting accident

Poor Percy, he studied law, had good marks and then drowned in a yachting accident.

The Tasmanian (Launceston, Tas. : 1881 - 1895) Saturday 18 December 1886





Rebecca and William Young


On  27th July 1825 Rebecca married William Young, Master Mariner.  He was the son of Samuel Young (1767 to 1827) and Ann Eades. He was born in 1802 at Parramatta.

William had a whaling station there at Trumpeter Bay.  He also, later had another station at Adventure Bay as did Charles Dowdell, Susannah s husband.  The name of their home was Sunnysides.  The original homestead eventually fell into disrepair and another place was built on the property.
In 1
826, William was held the licence of the Union Tavern in Campbell Street

William Young went as far as New Zealand, Norfolk Island and other islands of the Pacific, looking for whales. 

Rebecca died 4th February 1879. She is buried at Cornelian Bay.

William Young was the son of Samuel Young and Ann Eades
Rebecca was baptised the same time as her sister Eliza, in 1810.


In Memoriam   WILLIAM YOUNG    Husband of Rebecca Elizabeth Bradshaw Jillett

A RESIDENT OF TASMANIA, FOR FIFTY-TWO YEARS.

Obit December 27th., 1866 


A GOOD man in every respect. An able colonist, a farmer who could plough, reap and sow.
A Mariner, that could sail a ship to any part of the world, a whaler, whose exploits are unequalled in the  annals of daring;  a Tasmanian in heart and soul, a loving husband, and a good father; and to sum up all -AN HONEST MAN. Mark his career, sons of Tasmania, and emulate his enterprise and his virtues.

William was buried in 1866 at St Davids in Hobart.  No doubt Rebecca and William's descendants would, at one time, like to pay their respects to their ancestors.  Well that will be highly unlikely you will be a hundred years too late.

You would have been fine to visit in 1910







Here is what the good government of Tasmania did with the cemetery in 1926.  They made a park.





The Park is of benefit to the City, but was there any need for the wanton desecration of the headstones?   How many of your ancestors lay buried under the ground? 


IF you think you might find his headstone, set among those on a wall, well that will not happen either.

Rebecca is buried at Cornelian Bay Cemetery.
Church of England Section Y; Site No. 9   (not photographed)



After Rebecca's death property was sold and the estate divided among her many descendants.  Within the list was no mention of her house in Hobart.

10 Liverpool St Hobart was still there in 1951, as its description appears in the for sale notice.






There were many associated families within the William Young and Rebecca Jillett family tree.
Gillham, Lindsay, Priest, Hurburgh, Butler, Gill, Terry were all mentioned in the distribution of the will.








No comments:

Post a Comment