Tuesday, September 18, 2018

HP8 Out and About in New Norfolk - Some Historical facts and a Will

The Circle of Influence of the Jillett/Bradshaw Family

The circle of influence of the Jillett/Bradshaw family was the areas Hobart/York Plains/Kempton/New Norfolk

Out and About in New Norfolk, will certainly be walking in the shoes of so many of the family.

Home to Robert and Elizabeth, William and James, The Shones, The Triffits, Birthplace of Thomas Jillett, to name a few.  St Matthew's Church featured in their lives.  They were either baptised, married or had a funeral service there.

They ate, drank and met at the Bush Inn, they married into the families of publicans, ie William Elwin, or local farmers, so many of them!

They were buried in the old cemeteries, they went to school in the first schools, and they donated lands for either schools or other buildings.  They were policemen, or poundkeeper, or shop owners and town officials.

Of all the historical facts that can be found, any details regarding the burial place of Robert and Elizabeth, lies hidden somewhere in history.

Given they lived in Magra, in all likelihood they are buried at the Back River Cemetery.

The Norfolk Islanders

After arrival in Van Diemen's Land, the settlers went about their way re-establishing themselves.  They were granted lands at Elizabeth Town, which was the original name given to New Norfolk.  During a visit, to their Historical Rooms, in town, we purchased a scroll showing all the names of the settlers who settled in the area.  A valuable resource.

In 1805 the English Government decided to require the inhabitants of Norfolk Island to remove, with their goods and livestock, to this State. At first the settlers were 'coaxed by the offer of larger areas in this island than they had at Norfolk Island; ultimately sterner measures had to be used, and, by the end of 1808,  554 persons were landed on this island. This necessitated the issue of 356 separate. grant deeds.

New Norfolk, Sandy Bay, Sorell, and Clarence Plains in the south, and Norfolk Plains, near Longford, in the north, were the localities chosen for these settlers. These grants were at' first small, seldom exceeding 40 acres, but some of the settlers who had · prospered on Norfolk Island were given much larger areas.
The Government was most liberal to these settlers, and advanced them stock and stores for a considerabltime after their arrival



If the Bush Inn is reputed to be the oldest continuously licensed hotel in Australia it is probably fitting that Tasmania's oldest church also exists in New Norfolk. The Anglican Church of St Matthew in Bathurst Street opposite the delightful Arthur Square was built in 1823.

The church was built as a response to the rapid expansion of population in the district. By 1822 there were 600 people living in the area.

The church, which has been changed significantly over the years, was consecrated in 1828 by Archdeacon Scott from Sydney. It has been the subject of numerous alterations. In 1833 extensive additions made it a much more impressive building. A tower was added in 1870 and in 1894, after a period of energetic fund raising, the chancel was added and the windows, roof and transepts were altered. It is clearly not the same church which was built on the site in 1823. All that is left of the original church are the walls and flagged floor of the nave and part of the western transept. Perhaps the most interesting feature of the church are the excellent stained glass windows.

St Matthews lays claim to being the oldest Anglican Church in Tasmania, bring opened in 1823. An article in the Mercury written for the St Matthew’s centenary in 1925 talks about the history of the church:
Mr. Knopwood retired in 1823 from the chaplaincy of Hobart, and come to live in New Norfolk, and in the same year the inhabitants of New Norfolk applied to the Governor-in-Chief at Sydney that he might be appointed chaplain of New Norfolk, stating that there was a brick school which could be used as a temporary church.

The arrival of the official minister, Rev Hugh Robinson two years later, and his first service, is the date used for the centenary:

The beautiful church of St. Matthew’s as it now is, its gabled roof, stained glass windows, and noble chancel, is a very different building from what it was when the church was first erected. All that is left of the original building are the walls and flagged floor of the nave, and possibly the western walls of what are now the transepts. And even as to these there is a certain amount of doubt.

The foundation stone of the chancel has on it the words, “Erected in 1825, Chancel added in 1894.” But there was a schoolhouse which, begun in 1823, was finished in 1824. Whether this was the present nave or part of it is uncertain, though there is little doubt that a portion of the present church was originally built for a school. It was not used definitely as a church till Mr. Robinson’s time, for, it was in the month that he arrived there, August, 1825, that tenders were submitted for church furniture, and a pulpit, reading desk and communion table put in the building. The carpentry work in the building was of a poor quality; for on Sunday, December 4, 1825, a portion of the ceiling fell in.

As well as obtaining the fittings, that year there was construction work taking place:

We understand with much pleasure, that New Norfolk, the favourite retirement of Colonel Sorell and other distinguished characters, is rapidly becoming improved. The church, in which the Rev Robert Knopwood, M. A. regularly preaches has been considerably enlarged.

Hobart Town Gazette, 22 April 1825

At New Norfolk, the Church is roofed in, and completed.

Hobart Town Gazette, 20 August 1825

In 1822, the population was 600 in 1830 it was 2000, with 60 attending school.

In 1825, Rev Knopwood baptised one person under the tree in the school yard.
The beautiful church of St Matthew's as it stands now is a vastly different building from what it was when the Church was erected.  [1]


Mercury (Hobart, Tas. : 1860 - 1954), Saturday 8 June 1940, page 8

Century Of Progress  In New Norfolk  District
By W.J.R.

NOT in their wildest dreams could the pioneer settlers of the Derwent Valley have envisaged the wonderful development, that would take place there in little more than a century, from a small settlement to the great centre of pastoral, agricultural, orcharding, timber-getting, hop and tobacco growing, hydro-electric, and secondary industries.

New Norfolk, the commercial centre of the Derwent Valley, was founded about 1807, and in deference to the wishes of the early settlers, most of whom came from Norfolk Island, was so called by Lieut.-Governor Collins in 1808. In 1811, when the town site was proclaimed, Governor Macquarie called it Elizabeth Town, in honour of his wife. This name, contrary to what has taken place, in the cases of Richmond, Sorell, and other townships, has given way to the original one.
The story of old New Norfolk makes interesting reading. Much of its early history came from pioneers' letters, one of which appeared in "The Mercury" of May, 8, 1939, that of John Terry, who established the Lachlan River flour-mill, on the right bank of the River Derwent, near the township of New Norfolk, in 1821. The same year he founded Askrigg Estate, Gretna. Of New Norfolk, he said: "This town is rapidly increasing in inhabitants and buildings. The climate, soil, and produce are such that no man can, in reason, wish any part of them to be changed."

Delightful Country

In 1810, Surveyor-General John Oxley thus described New Norfolk: "A considerable portion of the Norfolk Island settlers have chosen to settle on the lands at the upper part of the Derwent River; their district is named New Norfolk, and is represented as being a most delightful country, the land contiguous to the banks of the river being extremely fertile and not liable to flood; extensive plains and rising grounds afford pasturage for any number of cattle; a number of small rivulets, intersecting the country in every direction, is an advantage the country near the sea- coast is deprived of; the main river, being navigable for boats for a considerable distance, affords an easy communication with the principal settlement (Hobart Town). Those lands have not been settled more than 18 months, and appearances are so favourable as to warrant the expectation that, with proper care and management, a short space of time will preclude the necessity of further importations of grain."

On Thursday, November 28, 1811, Governor Lachlan Macquarie, of New South Wales, of which Van Diemen's Land was then a dependency, visited and inspected the several farms in the district of New Norfolk, and appointed Capt. John Murray, 73rd Regiment, magistrate for New Norfolk and New Town. I
n a letter of instructions to Major Andrew Geils, 73rd Regiment
(Commandant from February 20, 1812, to February 4, 1813), dated February 8 1812, from Sydney, Macquarie stated: "Having deemed it advisable, when lately at the Derwent, and on my visit of inspection to the district of New Norfolk, to examine and mark out an eligible situation for a township for that district, which township I have named Elizabeth Town, I have to direct that you will afford every facility and encouragement in your power to sober, industrious tradesmen and useful mechanics to go to reside and settle there as soon as the township has been subdivided into regular allotments by the surveyor."

In March, 1805, Governor Macquarie married Elizabeth Henrietta Campbell, the youngest daughter of his second cousin, John Campbell, of Airds (Scotland). When he visited New Norfolk district in 1811, he selected the site for the town, and named it after his wife's first name. It was customary for him, when selecting the site for a town, to order a board bearing the name of the town to be erected in the middle of the area chosen for a square. All the towns founded by Macquarie possessed a uniform design. A central square was laid out, and allotments marked around it for the erection of a court-house, a church, and a parsonage. The different streets were designed on the rectangular plan, and were named, finger-boards being erected showing these names. New Norfolk retained the site and design thus arbitrarily chosen, although the name given by Macquarie did not long survive, as stated previously.

Early Surveys

Under date June 25, 1812, Governor Macquarie instructed James Meehan, Acting Surveyor-General of New South Wales, to embark on the brig Lady Nelson, and proceed to Van Die man's Land to carry out certain surveys there, among them being New Norfolk:- "You will mark out the new township of Elizabeth Town (named so by me when at the Derwent in November last), exactly on the same ground, I have already pointed out for it, on the right bank of the River Derwent, opposite , and adjoining to the district of New Norfolk, laying down the site of the town, exactly on the same plan and principle as that of George Town, with regard to the centre square, streets, and size of the several allotments, with the exception, how-ever, of the few allotments I have already promised to some few individuals, who have promised to come to reside there immediately, and whose names are particularly specified in the accompanying list.

"After you have planned and marked out Elizabeth Town, and measured and newly described all the farms in New Norfolk, you will proceed to examine and survey a large tract of land in the neighbourhood of New Norfolk, which I have named Macquarie District, ascertaining the quantity of good land there, the nature and quality of the soil, the different kinds of wood growing on it, and whether well or badly watered. You will be particular in writ-ing down your remarks on those several points, so as to enable me to judge, on receiving your report, how far that tract of country eligible for assigning lands to small settlers on."

Meehan arrived at Port Jackson, as a convict, in February, 1800. In April 1800, he was attached as an assistant to Charles Grimes, then Acting Surveyor General. In 1801 he accompanied Grimes in the exploration of the Hunter River, and in 1802-3 in the examination of King Island and Port Phillip. While at the Derwent in 1803-4 he explored Risdon Cove, and surveyed eight settlers' allotments at Stainforth's Cove (New Town Bay). His field books, relative to his work at the Derwent, are preserved in the office of the Surveyor General, Hobart. In March, 1804, he returned to Sydney, where he-prepared a map of the Derwent and its littoral. On June 4, 1805, Governor King grant-ed Meehan a conditional emancipation for his services in surveying during Grimes' absence in England, and on June 4, 1806, King granted him an absolute pardon.

On the return of Grimes to Sydney in 1806, Governor Bligh sent Meehan again to Tasmania, where he remained until late in 1807. In 1811 he accompanied Governor Macquarie to Tasmania, and returned with him. Grimes resigned in 1811, and Meehan acted as Surveyor-General until October, 1812, when John Oxley returned to Sydney. Meehan was then appointed Deputy Surveyor-General. In 1812, he visited Tasmania for the fourth time, and was employed there for nearly 12 months. He resigned in 1821, and died in 1826.

Under date June 29, 1818, from Hobart Town, Lieut.-Governor Sorell wrote to Governor Macquarie as follows: "Having been assured by Mr. Evans that Your Excellency had approved of the to Commissioner J. T. Bigge that Mr. Cawthorn, at New Norfolk, had for some time past been brewing a "fine description of table beer, from malt made of wheat, for which there is great demand."

Giving evidence before Commissioner Bigge on April 3, 1820, the Rev. R. Knopwood, stated that Divine service had been held at the last General Muster, and frequently before, at New Norfolk, and that only two natural deaths had occurred there since the formation of the settlement. Burials from New Norfolk and Pittwater (Sorell) took place in Hobart Town.

In 1820 the following return of land grant at New Norfolk, was supplied by G. W, Evan , Deputy Surveyor General:

Elizabeth Hackery, 20 acres;
James Triffitt, senr., 70;
James Triffitt, jun., 40;
Thomas Triffitt, 38;
Thomas Shone, 80;
Charles Horan, 80:
Henry Robinson, 30;
John Massie, 43;
William Peck, 27;
John Berry, 2G;
William Jones, 30;
Matthew Wood, 30;
Samuel King, 28;
William Heazlewood, 30;
Robert Hay, 30;
William Scatter-good, 43;
John Whitehouse, 30;
Manda Antonie, 30;
Dennis McCarty, 50;
Michael Purdon, 85;
Robert Cox, 48;
Brian Cullen, 105;
Thomas Murphy, 142;
James Davis, 22;
Thomas Hibbins, 92;
John Barnes, 36:
William Abel, 34;
William Foyle, 30;
William Hand, 34;
Josiah Peek, 45;
William Dempsey, 35;
Thomas Francis, 50;
Abraham Hand, 105
John Holland, 33;
Robert Chambers, 34:

Ram John Conn, contract with Mr. Dennis McCarty for making a road to New Norfolk, I authorised him to commence from Hobart Town, and he is now making the road 24ft. wide up to the intended ferry (Austin's Ferry), 9 miles distant, and 16ft. from thence to New Norfolk. As he is adding one-third to the first part of the road, for which, with the increasing traffic, 16ft. was deemed too narrow, I added three men to the stipulated number (making 18). This work will be an essential improvement to the settlement,"

These men were granted tickets-of-leave for public service on the road to New Norfolk under McCarty's contract for 12 months. This road, which was completed in 1819, was probably the first of its kind in Tasmania. Places then mentioned on the road were New Town Bridge, O'Brien's Bridge, Berresford's Bridge, Austin's, Burrow's, First River (Sorell Creek), and Elizabeth Town.

On June 24, 25, 26, and 27, 1821, respectively, Governor Macquarie named Lachlan River (formerly called Thames River), Bell's Terrace, Mt. Bell, and Taylor's Peak, at New Nor-folk, on his second visit.

Overland From Launceston

It may not be generally known that Lieut. Thomas Laycock (N.S.W. Corps), in his overland journey from Launceston to Hobart in 1807, visited New Norfolk on February 9. He left Launceston on February 3, and reach-ed Hobart on February ll. In his record of the trip, he said that, on February 9 he proceeded about south for nearly 25 miles, and made the River Derwent about three miles to the west-ward of where the salt water flows. The country he traversed that day was fine grazing land, the timber thin and small, and no water until he came near the river.

In 1826 a movement was made towards making New Norfolk the seat of government, but proved unsuccessful. The reasons advanced included the greater advantages of its situation, compared to those of any other known place in the island, and its constant supply of water for all purposes. The Lachlan River was mentioned as a never-failing current of fresh water, which could with ease be introduced into the town, and that its banks and those of another stream in the locality were admirably adapted for mills. New Norfolk's good water supply is drawn from the Lachlan River.

Turriff Lodge, New Norfolk, formerly known as Government Cottage, is situated at the top of a small hill, on the left, at the bend of the River Derwent, where a steamer passenger first catches sight of the township. This was used as a Summer residence by successive Governors until 1858, when the present Government House, Hobart, was completed.

The Lachlan Park Hospital and farm, Cottage Hospital, Millbrook Home, Pioneer Woodware Factory, Gaol Honour Farm (Hayes), News-print Mills (under construction at Boyer), railway communication, etc., testify to New Norfolk district progress in more recent years.

Bushrangers Stayed All Night

In October 1815, Mr Robert Knopwood noted in his diary  -    "JILLETTS HOUSE AT NEW NORFOLK ROBBED BY BUSHRANGERS WHO STAYED ALL NIGHT

The first person to build a house at New Norfolk was Denis McCarty, an Irish rebel who had been transported to New South Wales. By 1808 McCarty had become a police constable and been appointed to administer justice in New Norfolk.

In those times, Van Diemen’s Land (VDL) was administered by a lieutenant-governor, with the New South Wales governor having ultimate jurisdiction. Port Dalrymple was virtually autonomous. By the time of Lachlan and Elizabeth’s visit to VDL in November 1811, the island was administered by Captain John Murray.  Their journey from Sydney had been a rough passage and they were received with great enthusiasm.  They climbed Mt Nelson and Lachlan ordered the erection of a signal staff on its summit. He was not impressed with the street layout of Hobart Town and the erratic erection of buildings. He set about laying the town in a regular manner, centring it on St George’s Square, now Franklin Square, and the public buildings. Mrs Macquarie took an interest in the settlers, inquiring personally into their needs and concerns. From Hobart Town they journeyed to Launceston and it was Lachlan who was not in favour of the northern settlement being independent from the southern one.  Returning to Sydney he ordered the VDL colony to be under one government.

The Macquarie’s’ legacy to Tasmania is enormous.  He had the strength of character and enthusiasm to mould events. Hobart streets Macquarie, Murray, Elizabeth, Argyle, and Antill were named by Lachlan, besides designing the city.  Just outside the town, he stopped on a small hill and to his aide-de-camp, Captain Antill, he said, “This is the spot for a barracks”. This became Anglesea Barracks. Travelling to Launceston, they named Mt Dromedary, Macquarie Springs, Antill Ponds, and the Elizabeth and Macquarie Rivers.  York Plains, Epping Forest, Breadalbane and Corra Linn were also named. The governor and Elizabeth, rising at five each morning, rode several miles before breakfast at ten.  Surveyor Meehan was instructed to mark out the main highway between the two main towns.  Elizabeth explored with her husband, and he organised communication across the island, including the setting up of finer-posts and establishing military camps to be set up along the route. They left the Tamar for Sydney on the Lady Nelson, but it was a slow journey, taking a full week to sail the river, spending Christmas in Bass Strait.

That was his first visit to VDL, visiting the last time on the cessation of his office. Accompanied now by Lachlan junior, he named and mapped out Campbell Town, Ross, Oatlands, Brighton and Elizabeth Town (later renamed New Norfolk).

New Norfolk - Life was not Easy

Mayday morning of 1815, was one of unusual bustle und excitement in the districts near New Norfolk. The robbers, who had camped the night before on a small water-run, called a little too magniloquently the Back river, about three miles above Elizabeth Town, i.e. the present township of New Norfolk, were early at their mischievous work of plundering the various homesteads of the little settlement, long indeed before the sun had risen above the hills that enclose it ; and there was some fighting between them and such of the settlers who did not choose to see their homes desolated without resistance, but I believe that nothing very damaging to either side took place.

Tidings of those outrages reached McCarthy before nine o'clock of this morning, who at once put his own premises in a state of defence, for he was not one whom it was too safe to trite with. But the march of the robbers was not in his direction, and on learning this, he at once sent up for volunteers to pursue tho enemy, and the persons whom I have mimed above, joined him in the adventure, with whom he set off' to drive them out of place. The pursuing party first called at the house of Mr. Robert Hays, which was amongst the first that had suffered this day, but the bandits had already quitted it, taking the direction of Mr. James Triffitt's farm-house, which they also despoiled. From this place they struck out for the Macquarie Plains, and had proceeded about a mile on their way, when McCarthy's party brought them to bay.

The bushrangers were generally very well in-formed of all that was passing around them, of which many instances are recorded. But of the expedition now coming against them, they had no intelligence. It was, as we have seen, a hurried affair, got up and executed so suddenly, as to be quite unexpected ; and had the assailing party been cautiously led, the others might have been surprised. But on came McCarthy, without disguise, or even too much silence, and the cracking of dead sticks under the feet of the rapidly advancing force, warned the others of their approach, and they turned just in time to hear McCarthy challenge them to surrender themselves his prisoners.

But Whitehead and his men did not understand this, and instead of heeding it, instantly placed themselves in cover of some hollow trees that stood near. A sharp firing now began on both sides, but the bullets of the assailants were of course only thrown away on men so well protected as the others, and as they stood them-selves quite exposed like targets to the damaging fire of their opponents, (they having no experiences of bush fighting), five of their number were sent down in a very few minutes.
The affair ended, in the complete discomfiture of the settlers, and the unwounded four were forced to retreat, but they gallantly carried four of the wounded well out of the fire, where for the present they left them. The bushrangers did not pursue the retreating party, or they might have shot them all. Poor Murphy remained in their hands, some one of whom it is said proposed to ill-treat the disabled man, but this their leaders would not hear of. The robbers then retired themselves ; and as soon as possible after McCarthy reached his home, he sent out a conveyance and brought in all his disabled companions.

Poor Mc Carthy, and Mr Triffitt and Mr Hayes, suffered at the hands of the bushrangers.  All lived in very close proximity to each other, especially James Triffitt and Robert Hayes.  Their daughters didn't have far to go to meet their husbands.  In fact almost marriages between neighbours was rather common.  Also living at Mr McCarthy's property in 1815, was Robert and Elizabeth Jillett, and their children.  Charlotte born 1815, being the youngest.  They had a son Frederick born 1811 and Robert 1812.  There are no details for Frederick, they are written in Thomas Jillett's diary, however the whereabouts are unknown.

Also living at Norfolk Plains was John Massey. He had been on Norfolk Island, and was the uncle of Thomas Shone.  Thomas in 1815 was still in jail in Sydney. 
Hobart Town Gazette and Southern Reporter (Tas. : 1816 - 1821), Saturday 3 August 1816, page 1
LOST, on Monday last, the 29th Ultimo, the following Notes of Hand, viz. one for £28 6s. and three for £50 each, all dated at New Norfolk the 14th of June 1816, and drawn by Mr. Rob. Jillett, in favour of John Massey at New Norfolk. - All Persons are hereby Cautioned against taking or receiving any of the above Notes in payment; and any Person who will bring them to me, shall be handsomely rewarded.   NEW NORFOLK. JOHN MASSEY.
He made a claim this year for stores supplied to the Hobart Commissariat Department, 1816.
Robert then put in an account to the Commissariat Department for payment of supplies given to parties out in search of the bushrangers at New Norfolk.
In 1817 he tendered to supply 1500lb of meat to the Government Stores by 28th February 1817.

A notice in the Hobart Town Gazette, 6th Dec, 1817 and 13th December, 1817  Re:  Friendly Farms, Prince of Wales Bay, Newtown, formerly Robert Jillett's Martha Hayes, William Littlefield and Martin Hunt's farm  -  any cattle and sheep found on them will be impounded!    Signed Thomas Wells and Adam Brodribb.

Perhaps Robert decided to leave his animals on the block for extra feed, for no cost to him!

In 1818 and probably earlier, Robert Jillett must have had a grazing licence to September 29th 1819, for a run between Macquarie Springs and Meehan's Valley York Plains. 

Tasmanian Land Grants records of 1819 - 1821 indicate that Robert Jillett was granted 140 acres between New Town Rivulet

The boys each received 60 acres in Methuen at Back River.  The land was granted to them as Freemen.  This was also in 1823.

The deeds of Robert Jillett, and William and James Bradshaw are different because theirs stated "Freemen" and his "Emancipated convict".

The three grants were all signed by Thomas Brisbane, Governor of New South Wales at that time.

Hobart Town Gazette, & Southern Reporter. Robert Jillett tendered to supply meat to His Majesty's Magazine
                  18 Jan - 28 Feb, 1817 - 1500lbs
                  19 May - 8 Aug 1817 - 1000lbs and other notices in separate issues
An account with the Commissariat's Department, Hobart in respect of supplies to parties  out in search of bushrangers

HOBART TOWN GAZETTE, December 6, 1817.

 Reference to ownership of land.  "Robert Jillett, late partner with Martha Hayes, William Littlefield and Martin Hunt of FRIENDLY FARMS situate at Prince of Wales Bay and from thence to the Rivulet at New Town".  (Martha Hayes was considered by visiting Irish exile General Joseph Holt in 1806 to be "a beautiful girl: the prettiest violet I saw growing on the Derwent".  She had been mistress to Lieutenant Bowen, together they were the parents of the first (illegitimate) European child born in Tasmania, etc. etc.)

Note:  LAND GRANTS IN VAN DIEMEN'S LAND (State Archive Microfilm records, not pursued in detail.)  An old map of location of land granted in the New Town/Glenorchy district shows Robert Jillett as the grantee of Grant No. 19, 140 acres, located on the south side of Prince of Wales Bay, near the present site of the Electrolytic Zinc Company's works.  [See later for trespass notice from Hobart Town Gazette, December 20, 1823, giving location and name of     "Jillett's Point"].

       [Note:  Land was grazed by Robert Jillett at York Plains 1817-1823. 

Mr McCarthy from New Norfolk

When Governor Macquarie visited Van Diemen's Land in 1811, the year after the death of Governor David Collins, he instituted regulations which allowed an annual quota of spirits to officers and publicans.  In February 1812, he advised his Commandant Geils, that a shipment of 1500 gallons of good Bengal rum would be arriving.

The price of the Bengal and Jamaican rum was 7s6d per gallon and 3s duty to the Police Fund.  All civil and military officers were allowed fifty gallons per year, lower down the rank, the allowance was decreased.

Mr Mc Carthy of New Norfolk then got in touch with his friend Andrew Whitehead, who kept an inn at New Town, and between them they bought 2,400 gallons of rum, to sell at his sly-grog shop at Birch Grove Farm.  While the casks were being rowed in two boats to a landing place at Cornelian Bay, a party of soldiers in a boat saw them and gave chase, but on catching up with the smugglers they were offered a £50 reward to disappear, and they had to collect the money the next day from Mr Whitehead's pub in New Town.

Soon McCarthy's smuggling adventure was general knowledge and it reached the ears of Lieutenant Thomas Lascelles, the Governor's Secretary, who was determined to get the grog for himself. 

Biography of Denis McCarty  by E. R. Pretyman
Denis McCarty (d.1820), farmer, was convicted at Wexford, Ireland, and arrived in Sydney in February 1800 in the Friendship. The ship carried no convict indents or records from Ireland, but most of the prisoners were captured rebels. McCarty was sent to Van Diemen's Land for disobedience in August 1803. In April 1808 he was appointed constable at New Norfolk where he built the first house. In June 1810 he was pardoned. On 30 November 1811 he presented an address of welcome to Governor Lachlan Macquarie at Hobart Town on behalf of the New Norfolk residents. The governor had previously referred to the 'hearty rural and honest welcome' he had received when he and his wife had stayed for a night at McCarty's comfortable farm house.

Birch Grove Farm had grown from the five acres (2 ha) granted in 1808. From 1810 McCarty had been sending potatoes and other produce to Sydney and meantime had been appointed superintendent of stock. But he was not without his troubles. John Ingle prosecuted him in January 1813, but as the proceedings were irregular the matter was dropped. Macquarie thought him 'too heavily engaged in private concerns' to be allowed to go back to his post as superintendent, but he did so, and at the end of the year Provost-Marshal William Gore appointed McCarty as his deputy in 
Hobart as well.

 In 1814 he was arrested for smuggling, found guilty and sentenced to twelve months imprisonment in Sydney, but soon after he arrived there in July 1814 he threatened to prosecute Lieutenant-Governor Thomas Davey and other magistrates for trespass, stealing and false arrest. In February 1815 Ellis Bent told Macquarie that the warrant committing McCarty was irregular and, since bushrangers had attacked his farm in his absence and stolen property worth £546 during the previous October, Macquarie used these losses as an excuse to remit the rest of the sentence. McCarty returned at once in his newly-purchased schooner Geordy, and when the bandits attacked the farm again in April and May he was there to resist them.

In November 1815 he sailed to explore the south-west coast, where the Geordy was wrecked. McCarty returned to the west coast in the Sophia next year, and at Macquarie Harbour found a safe channel through its treacherous entrance, explored it, discovered coal on its northern shore and brought pine from the Gordon River.

In June 1817 he was again in Sydney under arrest, this time to stand trial on a charge of assaulting M. J. Whitaker. Lieutenant-Governor William Sorell told Macquarie that McCarty was 'one of the most turbulent and insubordinate Men in the Settlement'. McCarty admitted the assault, apologized for his 'outrageous conduct' and so persuaded Whitaker to withdraw the prosecution.

After he returned to Van Diemen's Land in May 1818 he undertook to build a road, complete with bridges, from Hobart to New Norfolk, in return for 2000 acres (809 ha) of land. In June 1819 he reported that it had been completed, but when inspection showed that it was in a very bad state and Sorell refused payment, McCarty suggested that the government had made the contract really to compensate him for his losses from the bushrangers in 1814.

Early in 1820 his Birch Grove Farm was advertised for sale, possibly because he needed money but more probably because of some domestic tangle. On 25 March 1820 he was drowned, and rumours of foul play followed. The Hobart Town Gazette reported that 'he had been many years in the settlement, was of a speculative turn, had been the owner of three vessels, had acquired considerable landed and other property'. This was probably true, but the further claim that 'he was much respected at New Norfolk where he had chiefly resided' seems to have been exaggerated. His widow married Thomas Lascelles who had harassed McCarty in the past and soon dissipated the estate.

The domestic arrangements of Mr Mc Carthy are best told by Mrs McCarthy.

Ann McCarthy wrote a letter to Captain John Davidson, Naval Officer at the Derwent.
Ann was, it appeared the mistress (or housekeeper?) of the recently deceased William L'Anson and regrets that William's best friend Matthew Bowden had not been given his Power of Attorney as L'Anson's estate had been seized "even when he left my daughter or in short what he gave both her and myself have been taken away.  the last things sent out.. were sold by auction (including) the box with those things intended for me.. the memory of him I shall long retain being mother to his unfortunate child, now dead.. believe I have done my utmost to acquit myself faithfully as his friend....
The social entanglements in the background are quite fascinating, William L'Anson (usually styled "L.Anson (the l) presumably having been misread) arrived at Hobart with David Collins.  He was the senior surgeon and Matthew Bowden his assistant.   L'Anson received one of the first land grants at Risdon Cove but sold it to T.W. Birch.  The Irish rebel Dennis McCarthy was transported to Sydney in 1800 and then sent to Van Diemen's Land for disobedience in 1808.  He was granted 5 acres at Birch Grove Farm, this was presumably part of L'Anson's original grant.  McCarthy's wife was Mary Ann McCarthy, presumably the author of this letter.  After Dennis Mc Carthy's death by drowning in 1820, she married Thomas Allen Lascelles.  His step son (Mary Ann's son) Edwin Lascelles later moved to Geelong were he formed the famous wool broking firm of Denny's Lascelles Ltd, with his cousin Charles Denys who himself married Thomas Lascelles's daughter.

The letter was auctioned in a sale by Prestige Philately.

Jul 27, 2009 - Van Diemen's Land was part of New South Wales until 14/7/1825 when it was ... 2) to create a third convict settlement (Norfolk Island being the .... acres at Birch Grove Farm: this was presumably part of I'Anson's original grant.

It is assumed that Mary Ann was the daughter of Mrs Hayes, herself quite a character among the first settlers, whose daughter Mary Ann had a child in the early days, her name was Henrietta, and she died.

Jul 27, 2009 - Van Diemen's Land was part of New South Wales until 14/7/1825 when it was ... 2) to create a third convict settlement (Norfolk Island being the .... acres at Birch Grove Farm: this was presumably part of I'Anson's original grant.

Hobart Town Gazette and Southern Reporter (Tas. : 1816 - 1821), Saturday 18 January 1817, page 2

Thursday, 16th January, 1817
AN Application having been made to His EXCELLENCY the GOVERNOR in CHIEF by Acting Assistant Commissary General BROUGHTON, of which the following is an Extract:—
"I also enclose for your Excellency's Consideration a Demand "for a Summer and Winter's suit of Slop Cloathing; and a suit of "Bedding on account of the Norfolk Island Settlers who have "Claims more or less on Government. In recommending this "Measure, I am aware there are some who are not so well entitled "to the Indulgence as others, but from the loose Manner the
"Accounts have been Kept, or more properly speaking, for the want "of the necessary Accounts to refer to, it is impossible to decide upon "the Merits of each Individual's Claim; I am therefore induced to "suggest to your Excellency to adopt this Mode as a final Settlement, "and most earnestly recommend them to your favourable
HIS EXCELLENCY having acceded to the above request, as a final liquidation of their Claims; and a Part of the above Cloathing having been sent for this Purpose, the Acting Assistant Commissary General will on Saturday the 25th of January Instant, Issue to each of the above Settlers who were in the lawful Possession of Land at Norfolk Island, and made a Surrender of the same to Government, the following Articles; viz. -
Two Blue Jackets; two pair of Trowsers; two Linen Frocks; one pair of Sheets; one Bolster Case; one Leather Cap; and ¼lb, of Thread.
The Articles required to Complete the Cloathing and Bedding for each Person being one pair of Shoes, one Blanket, and one Coverlet, the same will be Issued to them as soon as they are sent from Head
THOMAS DAVEY.  Lieutenant Governor.

Hobart Town, Wednesday, HIS EXCELLENCY the GOVERNOR, in a Dispatch recently
received by His Majesty's Brig Kangaroo, having directed that from and after the 25th of the present Month, no more than SIXPENCE per Pound shall be paid for FRESH MEAT received into the King's Stores at Hobart Town and Port Dalrymple; I am therefore Commanded to make the same Public accordingly.
By Command of His Honor the Lieutenant Governor,
Acting Assistant Commissary General (APPROVED) "THOMAS DAVEY."


Hobart Town, Van Diemen's Land, 15th Jan. 1817. THE Quantity of Wheat required for the Current Year, for the Purpose of Victualling those necessarily Supported at the Public Expense, being about EIGHT THOUSAND BUSHELS, such Settlers as are desirous of Supplying any Part thereof, are * requested to give in written Tenders of the Quantity:- And as this early Notice is given with a View to afford impartial Benefit to the Growers of Grain ONLY, by receiving such Proportion of their Grain as may be fair and equitable, according to the Number of Acres each individual may have had under Cultivation this present Season.

No Tenders will be received from any other Description of Persons whatever; nor will Tenders be received from Settlers from and after the 12th Day of March next ensuing; when the time is completed for the Delivery of the Tenders on the above Account.

A List will be published of the Names of the Persons and the Quantities which will be received from each respectively, and the Time when the same is to be delivered into the King's Magazine.
By Command of his Honour the Lieutenant Governor,
Acting Assistant Commissary General. (approved) "THOMAS DAVEY" ACTING ASSISTANT COMMISSARY GENERAL'S OFFICE,

Hobart Town, Wednesday, 15th January, 1817. A LIST of Persons who have delivered into this Office tenders for Supplying His Majesty's Magazine with FRESH MEAT with the Quantities which will be received from them, and the Dates when the same is to be delivered.

JANUARY 21st - lbs Mr. Hogan - 5000

Mr. Lascelles - 1800; John Blinkworth - 750; Francis Cobb - 500
Mr. McNeelance 1800 Edward Miller 1800.

14th John Wade - 4700
Francis Barnes - 750

21st Thomas Croft - 800
James Ballance - 800
William Presnell - 800 George Reynor - 800 Edward Garth - 800
Charles Connolly - 750 George Porter - 750

Robert Jillett - 1500
Thomas Clarke - 1000 Mrs. Anne Billett - 1000
Mrs. Margaret Watts - 750 Mr. John Faulkner - 750 Francis Cox - 500

By Command of His Honor the Lieutenant Governor, WILLIAM BROUGHTON,
Acting Assistant Commissary General, (APPROVED) "THOMAS DAVEY."

  Governor Macquarie's Inspection
Saturday 5 May 1821

I set out early this morning on my Tour of Inspection to the Settlement of Port Dalrymple attended by Mrs. Macquarie and Lachlan in the carriage, and by Lt. Govr. Sorell, Mr. Judge Advocate Wylde, Lt. Robinson, Lt. Macquarie, Doctr. Redfern, and Mr. Evans, in Gigs or on Horseback; Lt. Govr. Sorell having his son Edmund along with him; and our Baggage having been sent on two days before us. ---We set out from Hobart Town a qr. before 8 in the morning -- and arrived at Austin's Ferry on the Derwent a qr. past 9; the distance being 9 miles. We Breakfasted at Austin's, and crossed the Ferry immediately afterward -- Our Carriage and Horses Crossing before us. ---Passing over Bagdad Plains, Constitution Hill, Green Ponds, Cross-Marsh, Serpentine Valley, and Spring Hill, we Halted on the Northside of it and on the edge of Jerico Plains, at 6 p.m. encamping there for the Night; the distance from Hobart Town being 40 miles. We found all our Baggage before us -- but our own Horses greatly fatigued & knocked up almostt. ---We did not dine till near 7 o'clock. ---Mrs. M. Lachlan and myself slept in a small Hut lately erected here, as one of the stages to Port Dalrymple. ---
Sunday 6 May !

Set out after Breakfast at, 9 o'clock, from last Night's Halting Place, and passing over Jerico Plains, the River Jordon, Woodford Plains, Westmoreland Plains, and Macquarie Springs, we arrived at Wright's Farm on York Plains where we halted for the Night -- distance from Spring Hill 15 miles.---
Monday 7. May !
It rained in the Night, and continues to do so this morning. We therefore postponed setting out till it cleared up a little, which it did at 11 a.m. ---We then pursued our Journey, our Baggage having set forward about an Hour before us. ---
Passing over Antill Ponds, Salt Pan Plains, Blackman's River, Mount Henrietta, Macquarie River, arrived in Argyle Plains, and Halted for the Night at the Government Stock-Yard, distance from Wright's 16 miles.
Tuesday 8th. May.

At 11 a.m. We pursued our Journey -- our heavy Baggage having been sent off before us at 9 o'clock. ---We travelled over Antill Plains, Maclaine Plains, leaving Mount Campbell on our left, crossed the Elizabeth River (Kempton's Station), then passed over Macquarie Plains, and Halted at the Edge of Epping Forest, where we encamped for the Night. ---Disce. 15 miles.

In the year 1819 the British Government sent Commissioner J. T. Bigge to Van Diemen's Land to take evidence, report upon, and make recommendations, if necessary, for the better government of New South Wales and its dependencies. In the course of his duties he called upon Deputy-Surveyor George William Evans to explain the procedure of allotting land grants in this island-

Question: " How long have you held the situation of Deputy-Surveyor?"
Answer: " About 15 years."
Question: "What is the course observed by you when applications are made for grants in the country?"
Answer: " A person desirous of obtaining a grant of land here applies to the Governor-in-Chief through the Lieutenant-Governor. A particular time of the year (the month of June, or as nearly as may be to it) is set apart for this purpose by the Commander-in Chief.

On these applications the Governor-in-Chief makes a list of the names of persons to whom he orders that the land should be granted and the quantity they are to have. Which is signed by him and transmitted through his secretary to the Lieutenant-Governor, who either hands over the original or a copy of it, with directions that I should proceed to mark off the quantities of land when at leisure in the situations that the persons may have chosen, provided their choice will not interfere with any government arrangement.

When the quantities are measured and marked off, I make out the descriptions and boundaries, which I forward to the Surveyor-General at headquarters. From him they are sent to the Governor, who directgrants to be set out in pursuance of the description."
Question: " Are the grants sent down from Sydney to this place, or do they remain until application is made for them and the fees paid? "
Answer: " The grants that were sent down in 1817 ·bore date September, 1813. Since. that time about
160 grants of land have remained at Sydney, and are there now."

Question: " Are many applications made to you by .the persons who have obtained land and have not obtained grants? "
Answer: "Almost daily."
Question: "I suppose that, when the land is measured and marked off, the people immediately repair to it and cultivate it? "
Answer: "They do, and if I have not time always to go, they will begin to cultivate upon my promise
to measure it."
Question: " Do not instances occur of these landso occupied being sold or transferred or taken in execution before the grants arrive? ~'
Answer: " Yes; such instances do occur, but it is at the risk of the party purchasing, for it is a well known condition in all grants that the land shall not be sold, transferred, or alienated until after the term of five years."
Question: " Does that term run, or is it supposed to run, from the period of occupation of the land or from the date of grant?"
Answer: " From the date of grant."
Question: " Do you think the defect of title, in cases where the grant is delayed, affects the value of lands or increases the difficulty of . obtaining security upon them?"
Answer: " It does not. In such cases they usually bind themselves in a penalty of double the amount secured to make over the grant when it arrives."
Question: " Is the occupation of land permitted by the Lieutenant-Governor before the list containing the names and quantities of land ordered is returned by the Governor-in-Chief?"
Answer : " Yes; to persons of good character, and for whom he is desirous of obtaining land ; he does not allow a larger extent of land to be occupied in this way than from 30 to 50 acres."

The following order by Governor-General Macquarie, dated from Sydney on 8th . May, 1819, caused consternation among prospective settlers:-

" The applications for land made to the Governor at the prescribed time in June last having been 150 numerous as to surpass very far what he expected and consequently requiring his most serious consideration previous to his giving a final answer on the respective claims of the applicants. Furthermore, there being· much difficulty in accommodating those whose claims to such indulgences may 'be admitted owing to the present very great scarcity of disposable Crown lands, and many of those persons who were then promised grants of land not having yet had them measured, owing to the scarcity alluded to,

His Excellency feels himself compelled to give this public notice that no application for either land or cattle will be received by him in the ensuing month of June in the year 1820. In consequence of this unavoidable determination on the part of His. Excellency,  the magistrates were required to withhold their signatures of recommendation from all applications for land or cattle during the current year."

The question has often been asked if the early governors were imposed upon by persons who applied for and were successful enough to obtain grants of land Well! it is said open confession is good for the soul,
and this is what Governor Macquarie said in a despatch to Lieutenant-Governor Sorell on 13th October, 1820-

" I fear I have been imposed upon by persons who were traders al}d not real settlers, sending in fictitiouvalues of their property. I have determined in future to force applicants to make affidavits."
In this despatch he directed the Lieutenant-Governor to be more economical in the areas granted.

The expansion of agriculture brought in its train the necessity of roads. Lieutenant-Governor Sorell therefore called to his aid the officers of the Royal Engineers, who were stationed on the island with him, and about the year 1817 began the construction of what is now the main road from Hobart to Launceston.

Major Thomas Bell was most active as an Engineer of Roads, and, with the cheap labour of the times, good, well-graded roads were constructed between the various groups of settlment. Gradually New Norfolk. Richmond, and Kingston . were connected by road with Hobart Town, and in the north Launceston was similarly connected with Westbury. Major Bell was rewarded with a grant of 800 acres of land on the Jordan River in the year 1821.

An analysis of the grants and the grantees issued during 1821 can lead the student to but one conclusion, and that is, if the public servants received small salaries, they certainly received large grants of land.

Macquarie dealt out his favours with a truly regal hand, . but take it all for all, the public servant wanot a successful farmer. Of course, there were a few notable exceptions, but the property of most of them quickly passed into the hands of the competent commercial men of the period who were carrying on various kinds of business ventures in Hobart Town and Launceston.

Macquarie gave place as Governor-General to Sir Thomas Brisbane on 1st December, 1821.
The first quit rents began to be due about the year 1815, and Governor Arthur calculated that, if every settler liable paid his rent, the Government would receive an annual sum of £13,000. The land owners were very reluctant to pay this rent, and Governor Arthur decided that no quit rents should be demanded from persons who obtained their grants prior to the year 1825

I have confined myself up to the present to settlement in the country districts of this island. It seems necessary to say a few words about the grants of land in the Cities of Hobart and Launceston.
I feel I cannot do better than to quote evidence given before Commissioner Bigge in 1818 by Deputy Surveyor G. W. Evans.
Question: "By whom was Hobart Town laid out?"
Answer: "By Mr. Meehan and myself, in 1812, after receiving instructions from Governor Macquarie."
Question: "What is the breadth of the streets? "
Answer: " Sixty feet, · except Macquarie-street, which is 66 feet."
The Commissioner: " I observe a great many more brick and wood houses built than are described in your map as held under leases or grants. Upon what tenure are they held, and have they been granted? "
Answer:: Upon a verbal permission only to build given by the several Lieutenant-Governors.

Numbers of them are about to apply for leases. The majority of these persons consider that the permission to build and occupy is equal to a grant or lease."
Question: " What course is it intended that the town should in future take in extending it?"
Answer: "To the north-west and to the south-west."
Question: " Is there plenty of land in the immediate neighbourhood of the town not granted available for the location of convicts when they apply?"
Answer: " There is a sufficiency for two or three thousand blocks."


Land entitlements at New Norfolk

When the settlers were relocated to New Norfolk they were granted various sized allotments as per the guidelines.  The land marked TS is Thomas Shone and CH Charles Houran.  The land lots then follow the strip Next to TS was JM John Massie who was Thomas Shone's uncle.  That eventually became the Jillett and Bradshaw lands.
Map of the Settlements on and near the Derwent River, Van Diemen's Land 1819, G W Evans

Green Ponds  -  Kempton


Hobart Town Gazette, and Southern Reporter.  Saturday, July 21 - Last week, Mrs Jillett, a notorious grog seller at Green Ponds, (=present day Kempton) was convicted before Mr Harrison and Lieutenant Curtin, justices of the peace, in three penalties of £50 each.

 [ Further information on this incident from Mr Jack Taylor (Brisbane), Christine          Taylor, née Greenwood's, father-in-law, regarding his ancestor, John Danvers:

He (John Danvers), on 16th August 1827, was charged on oaths of Mr Whitfield and Mr             Ashton on "suspicion of being concerned in two felonies at Jillett's House" (a sly-grog shop at Green Ponds) "and with being frequently drunk and disorderly at that infamous house".  He was deprived of his Ticket of Leave by order of the Honourable Thomas Anstey esquire.]

Colonial Times and Tasmanian Advertiser (Hobart, Tas. : 1825 - 1827) Friday 27 July 1827

Mrs. Gillett, at the Green Ponds, and fined her £50 on each conviction. This woman has also two more informations, of the same kind, hanging over her head, although we never liked the  "Spirit Act," generally speaking, neither do we like it much better now, we cannot but say we are pleased at these convictions under it. At both places, the Green Ponds and New Norfolk, there are respectable houses of entertainment, got up for the accommodation of the Public, at a great expense to the proprietors, Mr. Ransom and Mrs. Bridger ; and it certainly is very proper that they should be protected in their property, by the depression of illicit grog- sellers, or how are they to be remunerated for their outlay of capital.

Although the consequences of these abominable houses are likely to prove more serious in the country districts, than in Hobart Town and Launceston, inasmuch as so wide a field is open for the encouragement of sheep-stealing, and other species of plunder, we trust the example set by the cases before recited, will not be lost upon the Metropolitan Constabularies, as well as those in other parts of the interior.

The Land Holdings

The description of Green Ponds lands in 1829, provided one small clue.  He had land next to a John Beaumont.  Now to find John Beaumont.  Well that turned out to be a bit of a surprise.  In more ways than one.

John Beaumont held quite a few leases.  Obviously he was on the Government payroll as his name was quite familiar.  He was the Sheriff!  Poor Robert would have had to be on his best behaviour.
Not only that but he married the surveyor's daughter.  Makes for a certainty that he would be able to have many land grants.

John Beaumont (1789–1872) was a Tasmanian settler and public servant who married Harriet Evans, daughter of Surveyor-General George Evans in 1820.

He was appointment as acting Provost Marshall in 1819.

Includes letter from Governor Arthur dated 1836 - no confirmation of appointment as principal superintendent. Also Bank book for the period 1824-1841

RS 61      https://eprints.utas.edu.au/11233/

The first Sheriff for Tasmania (Van Diemen's’ Land) was appointed in 1824, the same year as the first Sheriff for New South Wales.  The appointment was prior to the separation of Van Diemen’s Land from New South Wales and prior to the enactment of the Australian Courts Act of 25 July, 1828 which authorised the consequent Charter of Justice embodied in letters patent of 3 March, 1831.

Hobart Town Gazette for 14 May, 1824
“John Beaumont, Esq., who has so long filled the office Provost Marshal, has been appointed to act as Sheriff of Van Diemen’s Land”.

Mr Beaumont featured in several land transactions with the Jilletts.

John Beamont’s resting place.
Miena Dam, Central Highlands, Tasmania.

Life hands out surprises when you least expect them, but isn’t that the element of surprise?

Along a dusty road with its brooding gum trees and startled sheep, a routine drive changed on a whim, with a brief stop by the Miena Dam and a broken down sign –
‘John Beamont Memorial 250m’

That whim sparked off days of puzzling, searching, voracious reading and badgering anyone who might know why, here in this isolated spot, is this grave, this monument.

Why does John Beamont lie here through Eternity?

John Beamont (1798 – 1872) arrived in the colony in 1813.   A settler and Public Servant, he was to hold many and varied posts including Post Master General, Naval officer, Treasurer of the Police Fund, Provost Marshall, Acting Sheriff, Clerk of Council, Registrar of Deeds, reverting again to Sheriff in 1836 and on his retirement in 1841 loved in Hobart until his death on December 19, 1872.

John Beamont’s most noted contribution to the development of Van Diemen's Land was his exploration in December 1817 of the Central Plateau.[1]


PROBATE OFFICE      [NOTE:  Although this will was dated in 1832, it was not presented or granted probate until 1844,  see supplementary depositions, following.]            Note at the time of the probate, both Robert and Elizabeth had died.

  WILL OF ROBERT JILLETT [1844: BK 2, p.162, No. 262]                  "In the Name of God Almighty, I, Robert Gillett of the back River New Norfolk  Stockkeeper and Farmer of Van Diemen's Land being at this day of sound and disposing mind and memory  Thanks be to the Almighty God for the same But  Weak in bodily Health,  Do Make this my last Will and Testament  Hereby revoking All former Will or Wills if any made by me.    In the first place I recommend my soul to the Almighty God from whom I received it resting and trusting in my Salvation thro our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ        

              I Hereby give and bequeath to my Son Robert Gillett Thirty Acres of Land lying and being at the Back River Near New Norfolk Joining Thomas Shones side line, and Ten Acres more of Grant Lands bounding on the South Side by James Walsh, Grant at my decease to him and His Heirs, Executors or assigns for Ever

.   I Hereby Give at my Decease in shares to my deare Wife Elizabeth Gillett and all my Sons and Daughters and all my Grand Children Male and Female Seven Hundred and Eighty Acres of grant Lands as is hereafter described to them Each and Severally during Each of their Lives and their Successors for their Severally lifes and Enjoyment to be divided Equally at all times hereafter - Three Hundred Acres of the above Named Land Situate lying and being at York Plains bounded by William Bradshaw and James Lucas and Eighty more Joining the same bounded by Wells Grant- and the other four Hundred Acres is bounded by Wm O'conner and Haskin Morrisson the same making together Seven Hundred And Eighty Acres of Land Grants and it is my desire and determination that no part of the said Seven Hundred and Eighty Acres of Grant Lands Shall be ever made use of for any other purpose-what-ever-than-for-a general-feeding ground for all-herein named, and it is lastly more fully to be understood that the said herein described Land hereby by me bequeathed to same nor no part thereof is Ever to be Sold bartered or Mortagaged on any pretence  Whatsoever and I do hereby at my decease give and bequeath All the Horned Cattle and Sheep I may the be possessed of to my dear Wife, Robert Gillett, Charlotte Gillett, Thomas Gillett and John Gillett, and it is hereby further to be understood that as soon after my decease as it may convenients the said Cattle and Sheep are to be Equally divided amongst them  - But it is Hereby to be fully understood that I Hereby mean and direct that my Wife shall hold in her possession all such Cattle and Sheep until my said Children shall severally  Come-of-Age, But it is to be fully understood that my Wife shall be fully at liberty to sell any of the said Cattle or Sheep Hereby bequeathed by me to the said Robert Gillett, Charlotte Gillett, Thomas Gillett and John Gillett or any of there increase for the  brining them up and Support and Maintenance until they shall Severally arrive of Age but my Wife shall be fully at liberty for make use of her share of Cattle or Sheep any time or in any manner she may think proper

   I further give and bequeath all the Bearing Mares and Horses I may be possessed of to be shared as follows- one part to my deare Wife-Charlotte Gillett-Thomas Gillett and John Gillett-Share and Share Equal-the said Mares and Horses with there increase are to remain in the Charge and possession of my Wife until my herein named Children shall arrive at Age  - And I further give and Bequeath to my deare Wife The Farm where we know live containing forty three Acres of Lands to her sole Life and Benefit-during her Life time - and at her decease I give and bequeath the said Farm containing the aforesaid forty three acres of Land with all the appartenances there to now belonging to Thomas Gillett and John Gillett as also forty acres more grant Lands joining the above and last described Land to them the said Thomas and John Gillett to them and there Heirs and assigns for Ever

  - I hereby give and bequeath to my two Grand Children- Matthew and Susannah Bowden my mare Kitty to become their Joint property and to be taken in Charge for them by William Bradshaw and kept by Him until the said Matthew and Susannah Bowden shall arrive at age  and all excepting the next fole is to be considered the property of the said Matthew and Susannah Bowden   I further give and bequeath to James Bradshaw and William Bradshaw Ten Acres of Land Each bounded by James Walsh's farm at the Back River New Norfolk- to them and their Heirs for Ever and I do Hereby at my decease give to my Wife Two Dwelling Houses, one Brick House and one Wether Boarded situated lying and being in Collins Street Hobart Town- during her Life and at her decease the said described Dwelling Houses to my Two Sons Thomas and John Gillett-To them and their Heirs for Ever- but the same Houses are to be held in Charge of my Wife for there Several benefits until they shall Each arrive at Age for the purpose of my Wife's Maintenance of them

-    I do hereby Lastly wish it to be understood that I have taken into my consideration to hereby revoke my gift of the Whether Boarded House as above described to my Wife-Thomas Gillett-and John Gillett to Have and to Hold the same for any time Longer than my Son Robert Gillett shall arrive at the Age of Twenty One Years- then It shall be Lawful for the said Robert Gillett to the go and take Possession of the same which I have this day given and bequeathed to my Son Robert Gillett His Heirs and assigns for Ever and the said Robert Gillett shall have with the said House the proportion of Land as does belong to it  - I do hereby wish it to be fully understood- the Cattle and Sheep which will at my decease be committed to my Wife's Trust and Charge for my Children

- I do hereby fully recall that part Entered herein- allowing my Wife to sell any of the original Cattle or Sheep or  Sold only the increase of the same from time to time as may be necessary-   and Lastly I hereby forbid and positive say that my Wife Elizabeth Gillett shall never after my decease marry or live or cohabit with any man whatever- If she shall be so do I hereby revoke all my bequeaths and Legacys given and bequeathed to my Wife in this Will and all her part and share herein named shall become the right and property of my Two Sons Thomas Gillett and John Gillett and for the full performance of this my last Will and Testament I do Hereby nominate and appoint my son William Bradshaw and my Wife Executor and Executrix, to this my will so do and perform with the Joint consent of All and Every part of this my  will as near as possible as herein directed by me-

In witness whereof to this my last Will I have Set my Hand and Seal- this Second day of October Eighteen Hundred and Thirty Two in the Presence of Us                  R Officer                 )  Witnesses                 Thomas Shone     )                 Charles Houran    )                                                                                                        Robert Jillet(t?)  

{Notes: 1.  Charles Houran's signature appears on the original but is cropped off some copies of the will.           

     2. R. Officer, subsequently held land in the vicinity of Lagoon of Islands and Woods Lake, in the same vicinity as Thomas Jillett's run(s).
He later became  Sir Robert Officer and was a salmon fisheries commissioner.

His portrait is displayed at Salmon Ponds, Plenty, New Norfolk.        

3. Thomas Shones' daughter married Thomas Jillett and one of his sons married a Shone (George Jillett and Laura Lavinia Shone - first cousins). 

CODICIL TO THE WILL OF ROBERT JILLETT                                                                                         New Norfolk Oct 23 1832                

      I Robert Jillett of New Norfolk, Settler, in addition to my last will and Testament, doth give and bequeath unto my Son Robert Jillett, four working bullocks, a plough and a foal from out of the mare called Kitty, and to have part of the dwelling house situate at New Norfolk, and the use of the Barn and a Cart, for the space of four years, the same at the  rest of the family after my decease  

                                                                                   (Signed) Robt Jillet(?) Witness           J Bowden       William Bradshaw (Son-in-law and son respectively)

Also sworn affidavits regarding the validity  of the Will, presented more than 11 years after the death of Robert Jillett:               

  (1) Thomas Shone dated 20JUN1844 (cites R. Officer, Thomas Shone and Edward Houran, as witnesses), as follows:  "In the Supreme Court of Van Diemen's Land                                   

In the will of Robert Jillett of the Back River  near New Norfolk in Van Diemen's Land         Farmer deceased-     

           Thomas Shone of the Back River aforesaid Farmer maketh oath and saith that he was present at the Back River aforesaid on the second day of October one thousand eight hundred and thirty two and did  see the above named Robert Jillett sign seal publish pronounce and declare the paper writing herewith annexed to be his last will and Testament and that the signature "Robert Jillett" subscribed thereto is the proper signature and in the handwriting of the said Robert Jillett And this Deponent further saith that the signatures R Officer Thomas Shone and Edward Houran set and subscribed to the said paper
Writing as the attesting witnesses to the due execution thereof are respectively the signatures and in the hand writing of the said R Officer Edward Houran and this Deponent And this Deponent further saith that the said R Officer Edward Houran and this Deponent subscribed there several and respective signatures to the same in the presence of the said Robert Jillett at his request and in the presence of each other

And lastly this Deponent further saith that Elizabeth Jillett the wife of the Testator Robert Jillett named in the said Will as Executrix thereto departed this life on the ninth day of March one thousand eight hundred and forty two.

 Sworn ant Hobart Town this   ) twentieth day of June 1844       )                                 Thomas Shone                     Before me                  )"                   (2) William Bradshaw states that Robert Jillett departed this life on the third day of November 1832.    Dated 20JUN1844.              

    (3) William Bradshaw undertakes that he will account for the estate of Robert Jillett within six months (by 21DEC1844) and states his belief that the amount involved did not exceed 500 pounds at the time of death             

   (4) William Bradshaw swears on oath that the papers deposited are the will with codicil of Robert Jillett, Land Stockkeeper and Farmer Deceased, and that the papers came into his possession from Elizabeth wife of the said Robert Jillett.   

  A mystery regarding the contents of the Will       Why did it take 12 years for the will to be make public?  Under the terms of the will the lands were never to be sold or mortgaged.  At the time of Robert's death Robert, Thomas and John were all under the age of 21, and the contents of their inheritance would have to be held in trust for them.  What was Elizabeth doing during those years? Three years after Robert Jillett snr died, the sheriff’s office places a notice in the paper advising they are selling 30 acres of his lands in New Norfolk. The owner has to be Robert Jillett jnr, as this matches the contents of the will.  

He then seems to sell the property to William Morgan Orr who holds it in trust for John Beamont.  Just who were these people?  Well John Beamont was the sheriff, and as for William Morgan Orr the following information sheds some light on his character.  Who was William Morgan Orr?   It would seem he was a scrupulous business man who lived in Hobart and seemed to spend his time gaining the goods and chattels of many people to whom he must have either lent money or been very friendly.

[1] John Beaumont's Grave Photos  and story from Jennifer Richardson of Boat Harbour.

[1] History of St Matthew by Rev R Anderson

No comments:

Post a Comment