Monday, September 3, 2018

E2 Out and About in Hobart - Hope and Anchor - The Town Hall

Overview                         Day One Hobart

During the Jillett/Bradshaw Reunion several key places are included in the itinerary.  To assist with a little understanding of those places, some background information has been compiled.

Hobart & Beyond

The Meeting place at 10.00am will be the Foyer of 17 Liverpool Street Hobart, home of the Menzies Institute for Medical Research. 

There will be further information on the significance of the Institute to the Jillett/Bradshaw Family.

Look for a person with  Green, Yellow or Red

William Bradshaw family is Green                            Ann and Greg Williams-Fitzgerald
John Jillett family is Yellow                                       Tony Beach
Thomas Jillett Family is Red                                      Kris and John Herron

You will get a name badge, canvas bag and lanyon.

From there it is 280 metre  walk along Campbell Street taking a turn into Collins Street,  to the approximate location of the house that Robert and Elizabeth lived in, in Hobart, and which the Government basically "resumed".

Then via Market Place and 150 metres to  the Hope and Anchor, (4 minutes)  for 12.00 midday

Google maps indicate the total distance to be 400 metres.

 then 150 metres to the Town Hall.

OR for those on the first charter it is then another 400 metre walk to the Elizabeth Street Docks.

The first sail from 1400 - 1530, with the second running from 1545 - 1715.


Events in Hobart.

The Hope and Anchor Tavern (formerly Hope and Anchor Hotel, the Alexander, the Whale Fishery and the Hope) is an Australian pub in Hobart, Tasmania. Built in 1807, it is claimed to be the oldest Australian pub, having continually operated until 2008.

 However, The Bush Inn in New Norfolk claims to be the oldest operating Australian pub, because their venue has operated continuously since it opened in 1815 whereas the Hope and Anchor Tavern has had periods of closure (whilst still holding their licence) since opening in 1807.

The Hope and Anchor Tavern is referred to in 'Captain A E Sykes: memoirs'

It was reopened in 2014 after the building and its extensive antique collection were purchased by Chinese developer Kim Xing for A$1.5 million. The property was then leased to Robert Wilson[whose goal is to preserve a piece of Tasmanian history.

The building has been listed on the Tasmanian Heritage Register since 1998. The Hope and Anchor Tavern was owned for many years by Gunter Jaeger, who also owns Boomer Island. The current licence 2015 is Daniel Cullen whose food expertise has helped make the Hope and Anchor Tavern a hospitality success story since the reopening


Hope and Anchor Hotel

The Hope and Anchor, known just as the Hope Inn, c 1900 (W.L. Crowther Library, SLT)

The Hope and Anchor claims to be Australia's oldest existing hotel – or, perhaps, to occupy the longest continually licensed site. It was built on the banks of the Hobart Rivulet near the Derwent foreshore, and Knopwood mentioned drinking there in 1807. With this waterfront situation, trading was very successful, and stories were told of the licensees' successful smuggling, with barrels of rum rolled up the bank at night to the hotel's cellars. The first hotel was extensively renovated in the 1820s and in 1827 claimed to be 'superior to any in Hobart Town'. It has had many names – the Whale Fishery, the Hope, the Anchor and Hope, the Alexandra – and many ups and downs, including rebuilding, and in 2004, after the most recent renovation, has a fine historical ambience and profits from the expanding tourist trade.

Further reading: D Bryce, Pubs in Hobart, Hobart, 1997.   

 65 Macquarie Street Hobart.

Then to the Docks


The Town Hall  

The Town Hall

Hobart Town Hall is a landmark sandstone building which serves as seat of the City of Hobart local government area, hosting council meetings as well as acting as public auditorium that can be hired from the council. It is also open to periodic public tours, featuring its ornate Victorian auditorium and the Town Hall organ which has been in use since 1870.

Henry Hunter's plans for Hobart Town Hall

Hobart Town Hall undergoing repairs to its portico in 1925

Construction of the town hall was begun in 1864, with the foundation stone laid on April 14, which was declared a public holiday and celebrated by a parade. It was completed two years later in September 1866, which was celebrated by another public holiday and a gala ball. The design by Henry Hunter  was somewhat inspired by the Palazzo Farnese in Rome. At the time of construction, it was designed to house the City of Hobart's council chambers, as well as police offices, the municipal court and the State Library of Tasmania. These remained in use for nearly fifty years after the town hall was opened. It, along with Franklin Square, were built on the site of the former government house which had been demolished upon completion of the present government house.

By 1925 the state of the halls prominent portico had degenerated to the point it was declared unsafe and major restoration work had to be undertaken.

The building's well-known chandeliers were installed in the Town Hall's ballroom by former Lord Mayor Doone Kennedy.

Collins Street

There is an old building on Collins Street, known as Hollydene, built next door to a single dwelling house, as this photograph from 1900, indicates.  A rather lovely old home, which has some redeeming features.  It has been listed on the Heritage Register by Heritage Tasmania.[1]

Hollydene was known as 33 Collins Street Hobart.

The Menzies Institute abuts 33 Collins Street Hobart.  It abuts the Royal Exchange Hotel which is at number 57 Collins Street Hobart.

  Built in 1860 Photo Linc

Recognise the building?  Quite a favourite of the Jillett descendants

Another landmark is the Theatre Royal, which is further along Collins Street, Hobart

 Theatre Royal at 29 Campbell Street which was built in 1837 and is recognised as the oldest theatre in Australia. The spectacular Georgian interior is a reminder of the possibility for sophistication which existed in the colonies in the 1830s. It is claimed that the theatre has a ghost. Perhaps, more significantly, the stage has been such theatrical luminaries as Laurence Olivier and Noel Coward.

The University of Tasmania has bought the Theatre Royal Hotel for $1.7 million with a view to creating a future social hub for its growing inner-city campus.

Built in 1834 by Cascade Brewery founder Peter Deg­raves, the property is located next to the Theatre Royal, which will soon be directly linked to the university’s $90 million Academy for Creative Industries and Performing Arts on the corner of Collins and Campbell streets.[2]


There are many other places of significance to the Family, including St David's Church, St David's Park, and St David's Cemetery.  A separate story has been researched.

1857 Hobart

Some Old Graves at St David's

Also in St David's Park are memorials to the different families who came from New Norfolk.

The Lady Nelson Monument

The First Fleeter's Monument and the Irish Famine Monument are also of significance.


Thanks to Erica for the photos of the Opening

In St David's Park

In St David's Park there is an obelisk that memorialises William Race Allison, 'member of the Legislative Council and House of Assembly of this colony for 20 years'. 'He did his duty.' 'Forget not the faithful dead.' There is a memorial to William Hutchins, Archdeacon, who died in 1841: 'Mark the Perfect Man. And behold the Upright. For the end of that man is Peace'. These imperial servants were builders of colonial foundations. The memorial to Lt-Governor David Collins records that under 'his direction … the site of the Town was chosen and the foundations of its first building was laid in 1804'. There is a monument to Sir John Eardley Eardley-Wilmot, Lt-Governor, 'erected as a mark of respect to his memory by Public Subscription', and to James Bicheno, Colonial Secretary and Registrar of Records: 'he was zealous in the discharge of his duties, kindhearted, hospitable and charitable, an affectionate husband and good father and sincere friend'. In colonial enterprise men did their duty.

Salamanca around 1870's now a very popular area.

Whaling was a significant part of the Jillett/Bradshaw ancestry.  So many people were involved in whaling.

The Museum is located at 16 Argyle Street Hobart, Tasmania

Location: Argyle Street, Hobart.
History seeps from the stones on Hobart s waterfront, where colonial buildings are now galleries and where you can eat fresh seafood and watch a famous yacht race.

Ever since Hobart was founded in 1804, Sullivans Cove has been its dock area. The cove area itself is now known as Macquarie Wharf and still serves as the main port for the city. As one of Australia's finest deepwater ports, the River Derwent became the centre of the Southern Ocean whaling and the sealing trade, Sullivans Cove rapidly grew into a major port, with allied industries such as shipbuilding.

Sullivans Cove still holds large historical and sentimental value for the city; it is here that the migrant forefathers of many present-day Tasmanians first came ashore to begin a new life, and it is here where most tours and sea journeys around the shores of southern Tasmania begin and end, the most well known being the Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race, which finishes with celebratory champagne at Constitution Dock every December. For visitors, it has become a place to meet, to select a tour or trip or join others in one of the many eateries dotted around its shores.

Take your time as you explore this historic area that fuses the old and new. Admire the Georgian sandstone warehouses lining the dock that were built in the 1830s. These buildings were once used to store wool, grain and whale oil but are now converted into businesses, galleries and restaurants. At the north of the waterfront is the Gasworks Village where you can browse galleries and craft shops and sample whisky at the distillery.

Walk along the water's edge and see the historical features of the dock. Look out for the Hobart Heritage Steam Crane that was built in 1899 and the 1935 drawbridge that still operates today.

A trip to Constitution Dock would not be complete without experiencing the fresh seafood. Dine at one of the restaurants on the water or pick up some of the day's catch from the local fishermen. If you are here just after Christmas, experience the thrill of the classic international Sydney to Hobart yacht race. Constitution Dock is located at the southeast end of Franklin Wharf, on Sullivan's Cove, and is a 5-minute walk from the city centre.

An 1854 Hobart Map

The link below is for Walking Tours.

        David Collins

20th February, 1804 – Hobart Town First Settlers 1804 – Lieutenant Governor of Tasmania, David Collins When David Collins put his hand up for the job of Lieutenant Governor of Van Diemen’s Land, I bet they never went into detail about what he was in for: bushrangers, escaped convicts, disgruntled settlers, corrupt officers, poor supplies, poor tools and head office 10,000 miles away.

 At first glance you may think he was well suited for the job, having served in the British military, and was Judge Advocate for the 1788 settlement in New South Wales – even though he hadn’t any legal training. Back then it was all about who you knew, not what you knew. In February 1804 Collins became the first Lieutenant Governor of Van Diemen’s Land, responsible for establishing Hobart. Right from day one things were tough. Isolation, corrupt officers, trouble making civil servants, lazy military, no support, unskilled convicts, unreliable free settlers and no cohesive labour force.

His request for London to send help resulted in the arrival of 500 settlers, all ex-convicts, coming from Norfolk Island, full of resentment and hungry bellies into an environment of harsh frontier farming and terrible famine. No courts, drunkard vicar, and nowhere to lock up the convicts combined to create the first Australian bushrangers, a term first coined in Hobart Town.

Still deaf to the pleas of Collins for more help London accused him of fraud and waste, on top of which Governor Bligh (yes, Bligh of Mutiny on the Bounty fame) had the temerity to criticize Collins for a string of extra-marital relationships with convict women. Under all this pressure, it’s no real surprise that Lt’ Governor David Collins should have a heart attack and die – at his desk – just 6 years into the job.

He is memorialized by the naming of Collins St in Hobart and Melbourne, St David’s Park and Cathedral, as well as a lovely sandstone monument erected 30 years after his death by Governor Franklin.


Places of Interest

THE CHURCH ON A HILL Aspired to be a Beacon

by Guy McDougall

Our usual place of meeting, in a hall behind the St George’s Church at Battery Point was unavailable. We could not find an alternative place for ourselves at relatively short notice. Therefore, we thought a break during winter would not go astray. So the history of our meeting place perhaps would suffice.

The story of St George's Church begins in 1834 when a petition was presented to Lt.-Governor George Arthur that a church should be built for the residents of Queenborough or Sandy Bay. The site chosen was the highest point of Battery Point, then known as ‘Kermode's Hill’. The Trustees paid William Kermode, who owned most of the land in the area, £250 for the site.

St George's Church was designed in the Neo-Classical style which was then quite popular. The Government architect, John Lee Archer, designed the body of the building while convict architect, James Blackburn, designed the tower and portico. The church has an unusual layout, with double aisles instead of a regular central aisle. It is capable of accommodating 600 people. Its general characteristics, both externally and internally are of perfect neatness and simplicity.

Lt.-Governor George Arthur laid the Foundation Stone on October 19, 1836, just eleven days before his tour of duty ended. The foundation stone is not visible now owing to additions to the building. At this time, Government was anxious to see a spire erected to serve as a beacon for shipping.
The Rev. W. G. Broughton, the first and only Bishop of Australia, assisted by the Ven. Archdeacon W. Hutchins, Archdeacon of Van Diemen’s Land, and the Rev. W. Bedford of St. David’s Church, consecrated the church on May 26, 1838.
The Hobart Town Courier on May 25, 1838 mentioned that, “The weather yesterday was most unpropitious, and in the afternoon there was a heavy fall of snow. We do not recollect to have seen snow at so early a period before in Van Diemen's Land.” So it may not have been a nice day.

In 1841, having completed the initial work, it was decided to proceed with the tower. The Government was asked for assistance and agreed to grant convict labour, along with stone and timber. But the proviso was that the subscribers were to supply cartage, lime, lead and other materials. Work began on building the tower, but it was soon found that the tower’s basement, which had been put in at the time of the original building, was badly built and insufficient to bear the weight of the tower. It was found necessary to remove this basement, as well as the vestibule and the two vestries on either side of it. For various reasons, one of which was the inability to supply suitably skilled convict labour, the work was frequently interrupted and left for long periods.

The tower was finally completed in 1847, but the portico and the rooms at the basement of the tower were left unfinished. For five years “the Church was more or less exposed to the weather and great inconveniences were occasioned to the congregation”. The church became home to master mariners, shipwrights, seamen, fishermen, shipping agents and many others who worked in the shipbuilders' yards and on the wharves. These connections earned St George's the name of ‘The Mariners' Church’. 

St George’s Church in 1857

In October 1862, Mr Hore had a tender of £462 accepted for finishing “two wings of the Church”. These are quite substantial side buildings in a style similar to that of the Church.

In 1873 land adjacent to the church was bought for a parsonage at a cost of £163, the money being raised from rent of the School Room, subscriptions and surplus of Parish Funds.

St George’s portico was not added until 1888. The stone for its fine fluted Grecian columns was quarried at Bellerive.

It was not until May 1895 that a decision was taken to build the Parsonage to contain three living rooms, a study, four bedrooms, a kitchen, servant's room and offices.
In January 1906, it was decided to build a new Sunday School on land recently bought joining the old Sunday School. This very substantial building was erected in 1914.

In November 1918, the church found that the new Sunday School was not sufficient and the old Sunday School was having to be used.

In the 1970s extensive renovations were carried out and thanks to the generosity of the people of Hobart the church is now floodlit at night. But, in 2012 the church raised up to $500,000 for more extensive restoration and upgrade. However, they say more will be needed for upgrades to much-used community facilities.


St George’s Church on top of Battery Point from Marieville Esplanade in the 1900s. 7


The Morrisby family are interwoven with the Jillett/Bradshaws 

The Hobart Boer War Memorial was the work of sculptor Benjamin Sheppard,   He married Elsie Morrisby.

Sheppard, Benjamin (Ben) (1876–1910)  by R. H. Ewins

This article was published in Australian Dictionary of Biography, Volume 11, (MUP), 1988

Benjamin (Ben) Sheppard (1876-1910), sculptor, was born on 3 December 1876 in London, son of John Alfred Sheppard, brewer's turner, and his French wife Jane, née Lock. Showing early talent, he won a prize for drawing at 12 and in 1891 was admitted to the Cope-Nicols Painting School, South Kensington; he was penniless, walked several miles to and from school, and ate irregularly.

In 1893-96 he attended the Royal Academy of Arts' schools on a bursary. He won the Academy medal and on graduation made a 'poor man's' grand tour of Europe—by bicycle—as far as Rome before joining his sister Mary and her schoolmaster husband A. W. L. Southern at Bismarck (Collinsvale), Tasmania. Two years later he moved to Hobart. Unfortunately, bushfires on New Year's Day 1900 destroyed the Bismarck schoolhouse, and with it Sheppard's paintings, papers and academy studies.

It was inevitable in Hobart's small community, self-consciously striving for a cultural life, that the presence of a talented London-trained artist would be noticed. In 1898 he was commissioned to paint a small mural (still extant) in St Mary's College and another, larger one in St Joseph's Church (since obliterated). His appointment in 1900 as art master at the Hobart Technical School was not surprising. An energetic and inspiring teacher, he had among his pupils Mildred Lovett and Florence Rodway. On 11 December 1901 at St Paul's Church, Glenorchy, Sheppard married Elsie Rose Morrisby, a talented pianist and member of a socially noteworthy family. Sheppard himself was a violinist, and the marriage was commended in the press as a 'marriage of the arts'.

Despite heavy teaching commitments, Sheppard worked prolifically. Portraits included Sir Phillip Fysh (presented by the artist to the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery) and Premier Sir Neil Elliott Lewis, as well as sixty portrait-supplements for the Launceston Weekly Courier. A much-admired large painting, 'The Return of Colonel Cameron and the first Tasmanian Contingent sent to the Anglo-Boer War' (present whereabouts unknown), took eighteen months to complete.

Sheppard taught himself 'modelling' for teaching purposes. In 1903 his plaster statue of King Edward VII was placed outside the Treasury Buildings. It disintegrated, but in August he won a commission for a memorial to Tasmanian soldiers in the South African War. On 1 February 1905 this memorial, which he executed in London, was unveiled with great fanfare on the Hobart Domain, where it still stands. Undoubtedly Sheppard's masterpiece, a sensitive piece of work in a normally uninspired genre, it received generous acclaim in Britain and Australia. A replica was erected at Halifax, Yorkshire.

In 1905, joined in London by his family, Sheppard enjoyed recognition, with portrait commissions, work exhibited in the Academy, and election to the Society of British Sculptors. But in mid-1906 he contracted tuberculosis. After a year in sanatoriums, he went to South Africa where by 1909, working and exhibiting again, he achieved considerable acclaim. Then his health failed rapidly, and on 18 March 1910 he died at Cape Town, widely mourned and eulogized. His wife and son survived him.

The Monument is located in:

Liverpool & Aberdeen Streets, Queens Domain, near Hobart Aquatic Centre, Hobart, 7000

In memoriam
Tasmanian contingents.
Numbers, names of Commanding Officers and dates of departure.
1st Tasmanian Contingent : 80.
Capt. C. St Clair Cameron. 27th Oct 1899
Draft for 1st Contingent : 47
Capt. A. H. Riccall. 18th Jan. 1900
Tasmanian Bushmen : 53
Lt. Col E. T. Wallack. 5th Mar. 1900
1st Tasmanian Imperial Contingent : 122
Capt. R. C. Lewis. 26th Apr 1900
2nd Tasmanian Imperial Contingent : 254
Lt. Col. E. T. Watchorn. 27th Mar. 1901
"E" Company 1st Battalion A.C.H. : 122
Capt. A. W. B. Perceval. 16th Feb 1902.
"E" Company 3rd Battalion A.C.H. : 121
Capt. A. Morrisby. 8th Apr. 1902.
"C" Squadron 8th Battalion A.C.H. : 120
Capt. K. A. Ogilvy. 21st May. 1902.

The Soldiers Memorial Avenue Queens Domain in Hobart 520 trees planted in World War ! for the soldiers who died.

Various members of the family served in the Boer War.

 Soldiers assembling at Anglesea Barracks. [Tasmanian Mail 8th August 1918 p17]


Anglesea Barracks is an Australian Defence Force barracks in central Hobart, Tasmania. The site was chosen in December 1811 by Lachlan Macquarie and construction began on the first buildings to occupy the site in 1814.It is the oldest Australian Army barracks still in use and celebrated its bicentenary in December 2011.

Despite the small variation in spelling it was named after Henry Paget, 1st Marquess of Anglesey who was involved with the Board of Ordnance

The Army Museum of Tasmania is situated within Anglesea Barracks, Davey Street, Hobart. This Barracks precinct is recognised as one of Australia’s most significant historical military precincts and its appearance today is much as it was when the first buildings were constructed in 1814.

The  Museum is located in the Military Gaol which was built in 1847. This building is little changed from when it was first built even though over the years it has also been used as a Girls Reformatory, a married quarter, a store and offices.

Volunteers operate the Museum. Displays interpret the colonial period when the British Army occupied the site and the various conflicts Tasmanian service men and women have been involved in from 1899 to the current operational deployments


Information regarding some of the Closed Cemeteries in Hobart.

Mercury (Hobart, Tas. : 1860 - 1954), Wednesday 24 September 1902, page 6


A return asked for by the Hon. C. E. Davies, in connection with the closed cemeteries, was, on Tuesday evening, 23rd inst.. laid on the table of the Legislative Council by the Chief Secretary.
Prom this, it appears, that St. David's burial ground, containing 6 acres, was granted by the Crown to W. S. Sharland, W. Tarleton, and W. Lovett, on September 13, 1875, subject to the provisions of the Act 22 Vic, No. 20 (the Church of England Constitution Act.) This burial ground was used, however, long prior to the date of the grant, the remains of Governor Collins, who died in 1810, having been buried therein.

Trinity burial ground, containing 4 acres 1 rood 35 perches, was granted by the Crown to W. Tarleton, W. Lovett, and W. C. Sharland, on November 29, 1881, subject to the pro-visions of the above-mentioned Act. The old convict burial ground, which is not included in the grant, is, the Chief Secretary presumes, still in the hands of the Crown.

St. George's burial ground contains 2 acres 2 roods 33 perches. In a Parliamentary return of the year 1857 the area is given as 5 acres. There does not appear to be in existence, either in the registries of the Supreme Court or the Lands Titles Office, or at tho Diocesan registry, any deed making a grant of this land to the Church trustees. It appears, from records in the Chief Secretary's office, that the land was re-purchased by the Crown from the former grantee, Mr. C. McLachlan, for the purpose of being given to St. George's parish as a burial ground; that the purchase was approved by the Lieut.-Governor on November 28, 1841. and the land paid for, by warrant, on December 24, 1841. the amount being £150.

Se. Mary's Roman Catholic burial ground, containing 6 acres 3 roods 37 perches, was granted by the Crown to C. P. Woods, D. F. X. Beechinor, and M. J. Clarke, on November 23, 1894, subject to the provisions of the Act 53 Vic, No. 46 (the Roman Catholic Church Trustee Amendment Act.)
The Presbyterian burial ground in Church-street, an area of one acre, is marked on the general plan of Hobart as "ordered by Governor Arthur, Au-gust 27, 1828." In the records of the Chief Secretary's office is a letter dated February 5, 1828, from the Rev. Archd. McArthur to Lieut.-Governor Arthur, asking for a grant of land for a cemetery, and specifying a certain piece of land on the north side of the New Town-road. Endorsed on Mr. McArthur's letter is a minute signed "G.A., February 7" - "Inform Mr. McArthur that I shall have much plea-sure in acceding to the request contained in his communication, and if he will call at the Survey Office, and as-certain from the Surveyor-General what land can be appropriated to the purpose required. I shall readily acquiesce. State that I mention this, as there appears to be a claim to the spots which he is desirous of obtaining." No record has been found of the "order" referred to on the chart or plan of Hobart, as dated August 27, 1828. but it is evident that the burial ground was transferred to the Presbyterian Church.

The Jews' burial ground is shown on the plan to contain 1 acre 3 roods 29 perches, and reference is made to a book in the Lands Department known as Sprent's book. But in the registries there is no record of a grant, nor has any deed been found among the records of the congregation. In the records of the Chief Secretary's office there is a letter dated May 21, 1828, addressed to Lieut.-Governor Arthur by B. Walford, sen., acknowledging, with "heartfelt thanks," the "goodness" of the Lieut.-Governor "in being pleased to grant us a piece of ground as a burial field."

The Wesleyan burial ground, situated in Hill-street. Its area is not given on the plan, but there is a note stating that it was part of a location to John Solomon, and reference is made to Sprout's book, page 43. The book, however, gives no particulars. The Rev. G. T. Heyward, custodian of Wesleyan deeds, has no record whatever referring to this. 

But the stewards of the Hobart circuit believe that a grant of it was made by Government about 1831 or 1832, during the Ministry of the Rev. J. Hutchison or the Rev. N. Turner, and they have furnished the names of the trustees of the Church property at that time. No mention of any grant has been found in the Law Department registries or the Lands and Chief Secretary's records.

Mercury (Hobart, Tas. : 1860 - 1954), Saturday 12 September 1903, page 6



The following notes are compiled from memoranda and records kept by the writer's father, who was the first white male child born in Tasmania.

Colonel Collins arrived in the Derwent in February, 1804, with most of his party, and they landed at Risdon which Collins named "Rest-down." I know that this fact is disputed by some. I have got my information from my father who was born here in 1805, and who had repeatedly heard his father, one of the free selectors, state that it was called Rest-down; and besides, Governor Collins allowed a female passenger to land first, a Miss Mary Hayes, and upon her setting foot on shore he called it Rest-down. This lady married and had numerous descendants, and being my father's aunt sometimes visited him and as a boy I have heard this lady say most emphatically that Collins had called the place Rest-down. She was then about 70 years of age, so that I feel that I am right, whatever Mr. Walker or others may have thought to the contrary, notwithstanding.

But to proceed. The first thing that Governor Collins did was to send some men to look for fresh water. It was his first concern after his bitter experience at Port Phillip, and these men found the New Town creek, and the Hobart rivulet; but so dense was the scrub about these creeks that they had to cut tracks to get to the water. The Governor then located the free settlers at New Town, and decided to make his headquarters near the Hobart rivulet, and tents were pitched just about where the new Post Office and Mercury Office now stand. Before proceeding further I will give the general appearance of the site of Hobart at this time.

The waters of the Derwent washed up to the banks at the rear of the Town-hall, round by the new Customs House to the mouth of the Hobart rivulet. There was a small island about 200 yards from the mouth of this rivulet called Hunter's Island, from which a causeway was built later on to Macquarie-street, and this causeway is now the Old Wharf. The land between the Derwent and the Hobart rivulet was the ordinary Tasmanian bush, heavily timbered.

On both sides of the rivulet there was a dense ti-tree scrub, amongst which were some large blue gum trees (one of these trees cut off at a good height stood in Liverpool-st. for many years, and was used as a hoarding upon which Government notices were posted). Proceeding northwardly about Brisbane, Bathurst and Melville streets were nice grassy rises, covered with sheoak trees, much after the manner of Rosny – further on up to the top of the hill, as the main road now goes, was heavily timbered country, gum trees peppermint, etc., with much fallen timber. So that we can imagine that the place had a very wild appearance and the free settlers, in trying to get from New Town to the Settlement, were frequently lost in the bush, until Collins had a track cut.

As before stated, Governor Collins had fixed upon the spot just opposite the Town-hall as the site of his headquarters. The first work done was to build the Governor a house – and this was a two-roomed building made of "wattles and dab," as it is called, and built as follows. Spars were felled and cut to a uniform length of 12 feet, these were placed upright in the ground two feet apart to the length of the building required; long lithe wattles were interwoven between these uprights, like basket work; mortar was made out of clay or earth, amongst which handgrass was chopped up and mixed, and this mortar was dabbed into the interstices of the wattles, thus making good walls. The end uprights were cut with a fork on top into which a spar was placed horizontally for a wall plate; a longer spar at the ends of the building, also forked, held up the ridge pole, to which rafters were fixed to form a roof, and wattles used for battens.

The roof was then thatched, so that the first Governor's house was what we would now call a thatched hut. A similar building was next made for the officers, whose names were: Private Secretary to the Governor, Mr. Power; Commissariat Officer, Mr. Fosbrook; Dr. Bowden; Dr. Anson; Chaplain, Rev. R. Knopwood; Superintendent of Convicts, Mr. Clark; Superintendent of Tradesmen, Mr. Patterson; Overseers of Convicts, Mr. John Ingle, and Mr Parish; Surveyor, Mr. Jas. Maine; Lieutenant of Marines, Lieut. Edward Lord, Ensign Brandon; Government Mineralogist, Mr. Humphreys, who was afterwards Police Magistrate for many years.

The next work done was to build a commissariat store. The stores at this time being located on Hunter's Island in a tent in charge of Commissary Fosbrook, with soldiers on guard. Prisoners were told off to fell the trees nearby, and saw them into boards and quartering for the new building, and this timber was carried by the prisoners on their backs to where the building was to be built. Other prisoners were set to burn lime from oyster shells, which were very numerous near by. They had no kiln, but simply packed the shells about a dry log and made fires over them. Other prisoners were sent further up the hill to make bricks and some were sent about a mile away to clear ground to grow vegetables – this was about where the Eagle Hawk Hotel stands in Elizabeth-street. They cleared only an acre or so, when this was abandoned and the same party sent to Farm Point, as it was then called, and for years afterwards. This is where the Cornelian Bay Cemetery is now. It would appear that neither the Governor nor, indeed any of the others, knew good land from bad, as a worse piece of land could not have been chosen for cultivation, and all that they grew after much trouble was a few small turnips. Collins called the settlement Hobart Town, for quite a number of these thatched cottages had been made. He named the place after Lord Hobart.


The free settlers were as before stated located at New Town, and I will now give their names: Thomas Hayes, wife and two sons; Henry Hayes, wife and one daughter; Wm. Blinkworth, wife, two sons and one daughter; Wm. Cockerill, wife, one son, two daughters and niece; Richard Pitt, widower, two sons and daughter; J. Millar, wife, son and daughter. Single – Thomas Preston, J. Issel, J. Dacres, Wm. Littlefield, and Thos. Littlejohn.

The terms upon which they agreed with the Imperial Government were that they should have a free grant of 100 acres of land each, 3 years' provisions, what tools they required, and seed for the first year. They were waiting at New Town for their allotments to be surveyed, which took a long time. When however they were surveyed, in order to prevent jealousy, the lots were numbered up to 10, as two of these settlers had not then arrived from Port Phillip. The tickets were placed in a hat, and the settlers were allowed to draw. The two who arrived later were given allotments on Humphries' rivulet or Millar's Brush, then called, now O'Brien's Bridge. Thos. Hayes drew lot 2, which included part of what is now known as Derwent Park,and extended southward, but hearing that there was more fertile land at Bag-dad he sold his lot for sheep and cattle, and removed to Bagdad, and for some time had the run of the whole valley. He also erected a flour mill there, driven by water power, and ground what corn was grown.

It is remarkable that nearly every one of these settlers sold his allotment, one only retaining his at New Town, and none of them made their fortunes. The whole community seemed to give way to intemperance, and the rum keg was the most prominent household vessel, and there was always plenty of that spirit when not a morsel of food could be had for love or money. The Government dealt out a certain quantity of rum to each settler weekly, and even the prisoners got a supply on King's Birthday.

Probably the pioneer settlers felt somewhat disconsolate at times. They had broken up their homes in England, and were thus far away from their early associations and friends – 16,000 miles away from the "madding crowd" in a wild bush. It is no marvel that they sought solace and comfort in the rum cup by way of drowning their cares, and that they became addicted to a bad habit.

At this time the stores of provisions at the commissariat ran short, and the prisoners were liberated to catch kangaroos, the Governor offering them 1s. 6d. per lb. for all brought into the settlement camp. Some maize and barley were sent down from Sydney, and ground into meal with a steel mill, and shortly after a vessel arrived from England with fresh supplies. Most of the prisoners then came in. Some however still continued to roam at large, and lived on what they could catch.

When Governor Collins died, Lieut. Lord took command until the event was communicated to the Governor in General at Sydney, when he sent Colonel Giels to take charge pending an appointment of Lieut.-Governor by the Home Government, which subsequently appointed Colonel Davey to succeed Governor Collins. Davey is described as a jolly good fellow to all intents and purposes. He never turned anyone away with an aching heart, but he very seldom kept a promise which he made. A Governor in those days had to settle all disputes between parties. Davey was neither dignified in his manners nor refined in his tastes and habits. He was followed by Colonel Sorell, a thorough gentleman and a striking contrast to Colonel Davey.

The first thing he did was to have the streets laid out as they are now, and some of the wattle and dab cottages had to be pulled down, as they were in the line of the streets. Some of these streets were named after the first Governors, such as Collins, Davey, Macquarie, Murray. Elizabeth-street was named after Mrs. Macquarie, whose name it was. These, together with Liverpool, Melville, Argyle, and Campbell streets, were the first made.

A new Governor's house was built on the spot where Franklin-square is now. It was a one-storey weatherboard building. Opposite at the angle of Macquarie and Elizabeth streets was the guard house, where soldiers were stationed. The first gaol was also now built at the corner of Murray and Macquarie streets. It was built of brick and stone; and opposite the first courthouse was built where now stands the Post Office. St. David's Anglican Church was also built by the Imperial Government, where the Cathedral now stands. Before the courthouse was built, prisoners for serious offences were sent up to Sydney for trial. The first juries here were chosen from the officers of the regiments, which were drafted down here from time to time, the first being the 102nd Regiment. The barracks were also built about this time, where they now stand in Davey-street.

It was in 1811 that the Governor-General Macquarie paid two visits to this colony from Sydney, and it was at his instigation that Governor Sorell had the streets laid out and public buildings referred to erected. It was in Governor Arthur's time that the system of assigning out the best behaved convicts as servants to the settlers, under which these convicts had to serve a certain time, when upon a favourable report from their employers they would get a ticket-of-leave. That is they were free in the colony only, but they had to report themselves regularly once a month at headquarters, or at the nearest police office, failing which they would lose their tickets. This was called muster day.

The employers were supposed to feed and clothe the men, but they got no wages. Some of these men made excellent servants under good masters, but there were bad masters who caused the men to abscond from fear of punishment for trivial offences, and in some cases led to bushranging and crime.
When Governor Arthur arrived in 1824 he was Governor-General and quite independent of Sydney. He made radical changes in the highways. It should have been stated that the first macadamised road was commenced to be made in Governor Sorell's time. It started just opposite where Westella stands in Elizabeth-street and was continued to New Norfolk. The writer of these notes was engaged felling some she-oak trees near by, when hearing a noise as of picks and shovels and chains, he went through the bush to see what was up, and there saw a chain gang of convicts at work with their overseers in charge, and a few soldiers on guard. They had commenced to form the road, and that was the first road made. The next was from Old Beach to Bagdad.

When Colonel Arthur came, who was supposed to be a civil engineer, he had the roads altered somewhat. The practice had been to go straight up a hill and down the other side without reference to getting an easy grade, which could be had by making a slight detour. Governor Arthur corrected this fault in some instances, but the same fault is still observable in some of our public roads of the present day. He had the Asylum for the Insane at New Norfolk built, also the Orphan School at New Town. He also commenced the Bridgewater bridge, by filling in and making a causeway to deep water. This at the time was thought to be a wonderful piece of engineering skill. Before the bridge was built, all produce, etc., was brought across the river in a punt. Colonel Arthur also had all the filling-in done to form the present wharves at Hobart, all done by prison labour, as also were many other public works.

The number of prisoners had by this time increased to 400 or 500, as the Home Government kept sending them out. Other free settlers had arrived, and continued to come.

There was very little money in the early days of the colony, and a block of land in the centre of Hobart, which Elizabeth, Liverpool, Collins and Murray streets would about enclose, was sold for five gallons of rum.

Sir John Franklin succeeded Colonel Arthur in 1837, but he did not do nearly so much work with the prison labour at his command. He had the Franklin Dock built. He also introduced the probation system, which was considered a very bad system. Under it all the assigned servants were called in and hired out to the settlers at wages of £9 a year. The men could also leave their employers by giving a month's notice. As an employer, I found that the men were more discontented than they were under the assigned system. Some of the masters had their men punished for very small faults, such as some slight neglect of duty, in some cases unavoidable on the part of the men. They would be had up before a magistrate, and ordered 25 lashes, and to return to their work. 

Fear of such punishment led men to abscond – an instance of which I will now give:-
Michael Howe and another prisoner escaped to the bush from fear of punishment, for some trifling faults they had been guilty of. Howe was out for many years, and was a most daring character. He committed robberies in many places, and was ultimately joined by 13 other escaped convicts, which made a strong party, and became a terror to the colonists. The Government sent out soldiers and police to capture them. The first encounter they had with them was at New Norfolk, when a few of the soldiers were shot, and also one of the convicts. A reward of £100 for each of their heads was offered by the Government, which carried with it a free pardon if the capturer was a prisoner.

Howe and party knowing this entered into a compact that if any of them were shot, to retain the head of their comrade at all risks, and this they did at New Norfolk. The police, however, recovered the body of the convict shot, and brought it to Hobart Town, and it was gibbeted on Hunter's Island. The next encounter was at Tea Tree, where another bush-ranger was shot; he was also taken to town, but in this instance with his head. In short, all the outlaws were taken one by one, until only Howe was left. A stockkeeper near New Norfolk named Slambo harboured Howe for some years. Another convict escaped, and he too was harboured by Slambo, who conspired with him to take Howe and divide the reward. The convict also would get a free pardon. So that, watching for an opportunity, they seized Howe, tied his hands behind him, and marched him off for Hobart Town.
When near O'Brien's Bridge, Howe complained of the ties hurting his wrists, and asked them to slacken them, which out of pity they did. Then Howe expeditiously drew his hands through, seized a knife which he had secreted about him, stabbed the convict and seized his gun, shot Slambo dead, and again escaped. The convict managed to get to town and report the occurrence to the authorities, and shortly after died of his wounds.

Howe was at large in the Bothwell district for many years, where there was a cattle station, and being out of ammunition he asked the stockkeeper for some, who promised to get him some from Hobart Town where he was going in a few days.

He, however, instead laid an information, and a soldier and policeman were sent up, and secreted themselves in the stockkeeper's hut. After a few days, Howe came, and standing off about 50 yards, for he was always very cautious, he called to the stockman, when the soldier rushed out. Howe made off, but the soldier, being the faster runner, soon overtook him, when a desperate struggle ensued. The policeman then came up, and shot Howe dead. They took his head, and left his body to bleach in the woods. This was the end of poor Howe, who, after all, only like many more, wanted his liberty. There is a fine tract of land in Oatlands district called Mike Howe's marsh.


In 1807 the Sydney Government established a penal settlement at Port Dalrymple, now George Town, under Commandant Kemp, the father of the late Mr. George Kemp (who was born at George Town in that year and after whom the town was called). Some of these Sydney convicts were rough characters, and there being no gaol, they were guarded by a sentinel whom three of these desperadoes overpowered and murdered, and made good their escape.

Their names were Lemon, Antil, and Brown. The first place where they were heard of after their escape was at Antill Ponds. Antil and Brown were Irishmen, and often conversed in the Irish tongue, which made Lemon suspicious, so that he disabled Antil and threw him into a waterhole, and the place his ever since been called Antill Ponds. Brown and Lemon then located themselves at a place near Jericho now known as Lemon Springs. One hundred pounds reward was offered for their heads, and they fell in with some other prisoners who had been liberated to catch kangaroos as before stated, but had preferred to roam at large. These prisoners arranged with a free settler to watch for and take Lemon and Brown which they did, by shooting Lemon while he was asleep, and then took Brown in charge. Having cut off Lemon's head, they proceeded with it and their prisoner to Hobart Town, to obtain their reward which carried with it in their case a free pardon. Brown was sent up to Sydney for trial, and ultimately he was executed.

Another party of bushrangers called the Brady gang gave the Government and colonists much trouble. They were a daring body of men, and were well mounted, having stolen the horses from the settlers. On one occasion the writer of these notes was "stuck up" by them on Constitution Hill. They told me to stand, and then asked me if I had seen any soldiers about, and I replied in the negative. They then told me not to move from that spot for half an hour at my peril.
I waited until they had got out of sight, and then proceeded on my journey. I subsequently met two soldiers, one of whom was crying. The bushrangers had disarmed them, and treated them roughly, and let them go. They on this occasion raided a public house at Green Ponds. They were all subsequently taken and executed – those who were not shot.
Brady seemed a manly fellow, for on one occasion they called at a house i Bagdad belonging to a well to-do settler, who was away from home, and had left his father-in-law in charge. Mr. Peters, for that was his name, had been a soldier, and the bushrangers demanded of him the keys of the cellar, in which it was known wines and spirits were kept. Mr. Peters said, "I have been left in charge, and I will never give up the keys." One of the gang, a young fellow, presented his gun and said, "If you do not give them up instantly I will blow your brains out." Mr. Peters being a high spirited man showed no fear but turning red in the face with passion said, "You coward, give me a gun, and I will face you, but I will never give up the keys." Brady pushed aside the gun and said, "You shall not shoot a brave man like that," and he was only just in time, as I saw the fellow meant it. I was young at the time, and was very frightened.

Hobart Pubs - There were so many

Hobart Town Gazette and Southern Reporter (Tas. : 1816 - 1821), Saturday 6 September 1817, page 1

Government & General Orders,
Saturday, 6th September, 1817.
THOSE persons who have the last Year held LICENCES for the Retailing of Wine, Spirits , or Beer, are hereby informed that such of them as wish a Renewal of their Licences for the ensuing Twelve Months, are required on or before Monday the 15th Inst. to send in to this Office written Applications to that effect. Such Applications as may be Approved by HIS HONOR the LIEUTENANT GOVERNOR, will be handed-over to the Bench of Magistrates on the Friday following, at the hour of Eleven o'Clock in the Forenoon; payment to be made for the same at the Time of Delivery, in Cash.

No Person who is still under the Sentence of Law will be licenced as a Publican; nor will any Constables, Clerks, or other Persons in the Service of Government; and generally no Person need apply whose Application or Memorial is not accompanied with the most satisfactory Testimonial, to his or her Character, and Competency of keeping a Decent and Comfortable Public House.

By Command of His Honor the Lieutenant Governor,
W. A. Ross, Secretary.

Hobart Town Gazette and Southern Reporter (Tas. : 1816 - 1821), Saturday 15 November 1817, page 1

During the beginning of the week, it was currently reported in this town, that the commander of a vessel who lately arrived here from India, had actually bartered for a fine girl of Sixteen years of age;  and that the inhuman father, destitute of the feelings of a parent, and one of those wretched characters who confer infamy on the name of man, went on board and received the property tendered him for his  child. A female publican and her servant, it was said, were active agents in this scene of disgraceful iniquity!

Hobart Town Gazette and Southern Reporter (Tas. : 1816 - 1821), Saturday 3 October 1818, page 1

Secretary's Office, Hobart Town, Saturday, October 3rd, 1818
For the Information of the Public and the particular Guidance of the Officers of the Police Establishment, His HONOR the Lieutenant GOVERNOR has been pleased to order and direct that the following List of Publicans, who are duly licensed for Keeping of Public Houses and Vending of Wines, Spirits, and Beer, in the several Districts of the County of Buckinghamshire, be published in the Hobart Town Gazette.

Thos. Wm. Stocker | Derwent Hotel
George Armytage | Plough Thomas Ransom | Carpenter's Arms
J. Lord and J. Clark | Dusty Miller Charles Connolly | Bricklayer's Arms Francis Barnes | Hope
John Eddington | Bird in Hand Maria Sergeant | Calcutta
Joshua Fergusson
Thos. L. Richardson | New Inn/ Richard Wallis | Cat and Fiddle
George Hopwood | City of London Arms

Andrew Whitehead | Herdsman's C. House

James Ballance | Freemason's Arms

William Atkins | Checquers
The License for the City of London Arms expires on the 29th of March, 1819.

By Command of His Honor,

H. E. Robinson, Secretary.

Hobart Town Gazette and Southern Reporter (Tas. : 1816 - 1821), Saturday 16 October 1819, page 1


Secretary's Office, Hobart Town,
Saturday, October 16th, 1819.

FOR the Information of the Public and the particular Guidance of the Officers of the Police Establishment, HIS HONOR the LIEUTENANT GOVERNOR has been pleased to order and direct that the following List of Publicans who are duly licensed for Keeping of Public Houses, and Vending of Wines, Spirits, and Beer, in the several Districts in the the County of Buckinghamshire, be published in the Hobart Town Gazette.

Wm. Thomas Stocker | Derwent Hotel /Richard Wallace | Cat and Fiddle
Henry Anson | City of London Arms/ Francis Barnes | Hope
James Brammer | King's Arms
Charles Connolly | Bricklayer's Arms/ John Eddington | Bird-in-Hand /George Hopwood - Green Gate /Michael Lee | Freemason's Arms /James Lord | Dusty Miller
Thomas Ransom | Crooked Billett /William Bradshaw | Jolly Sailor

William Atkins | Chequers
Messrs. Austin & Earle | Barley Mow
John Simons | Punch Bowl.

THE Licences for Public Houses approved
by the LIEUTENANT GOVERNOR from the 29th September having been granted by the Magistrates ; It is hereby notified that no Increase in the Number in Hobart Town will
be sanctioned during the current Year.

Licences having been granted in two or three Instances last Year, in the Districts, for Half the Annual Period, in Order to facilitate public Accommodation ; It is now declared that no Person who held a Licence last Year will be allowed a Renewal during the present, except for the whole Annual Period.

Hobart Town Gazette and Southern Reporter (Tas. : 1816 - 1821), Saturday 7 October 1820, page 1

Secretary's Office, Hobart Town,
Saturday, October 7th, 1820.
FOR the Information of the Public and the particular Guidance of the Officers of the Police Establishments, HIS HONOR the LIEUTENANT GOVERNOR has been pleased to order and direct that the following List of Publicans, who have been duly licensed by the Bench of Magistrates for keeping of Public Houses, and Vending of Wines, Spirits, and Beer, in the several Districts in the County of Buckinghamshire, be published in the Hobart Town Gazette.


Thomas Wm. Stocker - Derwent Hotel
James Lord - Dusty Miller John Manby - Crooked Billet New Inn
George Hopwood - Green Gate
Thomas Ransom - Joiner's Arms Thomas Dixon - Kangaroo
Bernard Walford - Adam and Eve
Charles Connelly - Bricklayer's Arms John Eddington - Bird-in-Hand Edgar Luttrell - Crown and Anchor Henry Anson - City of London Arms John Mouten Brown Bear
Richard Wallis - Cat and Fiddle

Thomas Divine - Punch Bowl

BLACK SNAKE & OLD BEACH FERRY. Messrs. Austin & Earl - Barley Mow
By Command of His Honor
H. E. Robinson, Secretary.

September 30th, 1820.
NOTICE. - His Majesty's Magazines under my Charge are Open for the Reception of Wheat from any Person having it to dispose of, and will continue so until next Harvest.
September 7th, 1820.
NOTICE, - An Issue of Slops to the Female Prisoners who came from the Janus in the Brig Princess Charlotte will take Place at His Majesty's Magazine, on Thursday next, the 12th Instant, between the Hours of Eleven and Two.


Elizabeth Rebecca Young m Thomas Mezger

Elizabeth Rebecca Young  m Thomas Mezger  Thomas was the licensee of the Bird in Hand in Argyle Street Hobart.

He was the son of John Mezger and his wife Agnes Scott.  He came from Wurtemberg Germany and was naturalised in 1835.  They married in 1825, and his name written at Mezzer.

As families do, his son Thomas, took over the pub, and his father moved to New Town..  Thomas's son died in 1851.

Courier (Hobart, Tas. : 1840 - 1859), Saturday 5 January 1850, page 2COLONIAL ENTERPRISE.- It is gratifying to record as an instance of colonial enterprise the indefatigable endeavours of Mr. John Mezger, at his recently purchased and extensive property at New Town. We experienced some pleasure by paying a visit to the various establishments thereon, the principal point of attraction being the large and powerful bone crushing machine recently put up, in a new building erected for that purpose, a short description of which may be interesting to our readers.

It is erected at the rear of the corn mill, and is worked by a communicating shaft with the powerful waterwheel. By a mechanical contrivance they can both be worked together, or the bone mill can be thrown out of gear. Upon the shaft is placed a large cog wheel which turns another placed upon a surmounting shaft, the pair of which at the end have an iron movement, or shaft coupling, which each give motion to a pair of strong toothed indented iron rollers, working one into the other.

The bones which are brought in, and purchased from collectors in town, are in the upper room, where by a kind of hopper they are raked between the upper pair of rollers, and are instantaneously crushed into small pieces. From these rollers they pass between the other pair, and are again crushed into finer pieces. Underneath these rollers, and at each side, a set of teeth are horizontally indented in the pedestal, thus preventing the larger particles from passing into a secondhopper, except upon being crushed again by the under rollers, the teeth of which move in the slots of the teethplates.

One of the under-rollers has a small pinion affixed to its axis, which gives motion to a shaft and pair of pulleys with strap moving a transverse cylinder, which receives the crushed bones from the second and last hopper. The revolutions of the cylinder, which is pierced with holes, prevents, by operating as a sieve, the escape of the larger pieces of bone, except at the lower end thereof, the next smaller coming out in the centre, and the dust at the top, where baskets are placed to receive it. The dust coming through the upper portion of the cylinder is now ready for the market, and becomes valuable as a manure.

The properties thereof have been duly canvassed in England, and are of the greatest importance in agriculture. Mr. Mezger disposes of it at the price of £4 per ton. The crushed bones in the other baskets are subsequently taken up stairs, and again submitted to the action of the rollers, the crushing process being repeated until the whole is made available for sale.

The extensive malt-house is in full operation, and another large building is lying idle until the Governor redeems a promise, made some time ago, to legalize colonial distillation,or till a representative government confers that privilege upon the colonists. The flour mill contains a malt grinding machine, and is replete with every convenience. The property was purchased by Mr. Mezger some time ago for £3800 and was a bona fide cash transaction. A large and spacious shrubbery with garden are attached to the premises, in the latter of which there is a luxuriant abundance of fruit, grapes to an enormous extent are growing in the open air, and apple trees in espaliers are loaded with fruit. Filberts, walnuts, and other products are plentiful.

In the conservatory there are some thousands of grapes already ripening. A handsome fountain in an alcove, dilapidated at the time of the purchase, has been put in play, and every thing is kept in excellent order.
So where was this gorgeous property?
74 Risdon Road New Town

Built in 1844 by local mill owner John Mezger, Lauderdale Cottage has had five owners in over 170 years. Set on 2.41 hectares of relatively flat land, the sandstone cottage underwent a major renovation in 2006, meeting strict restoration guidelines imposed by the Tasmanian Heritage Council. In 2009 it won the Tasmanian Master Builders Award for Excellence in Heritage Listed or Period Home 

Restoration/Renovation Open Value.

Cornwall Chronicle (Launceston, Tas. : 1835 - 1880), Saturday 4 February 1854, page 5


It. is with a deep feeling of regret we record the demise, full of years and honours. of John Mezger Esq , one of our oldest and most esteemed colonists. His decease, the fatal and not unexpected issue of a long and lingering indisposition, took place yesterday, and he leaves behind him a numerous and interesting family to deplore a loss which, from his honourable example, must be rendered more than painfully severe.

Of a singularly humble disposition, though hidden under a rather brusque exterior, the late Mr Mezger was prompt to render effective assistance to those, and there are many, at first comparatively unknown to him, who were fortunate enough to secure his good wishes and esteem, and there are but few in this community who have performed o many acts of disinterested kindness.

As a mason and a citizen he was distinguished by many of those honourable characteristics which reflect bright lustre upon the memories of the departed. In connection with the brotherhood,   as the many testimonials awarded to   him undeniably witness, he was distinguished for many deeds of unostentatious and sympathising benevolence; and as a citizen, his name is identified with every popular movement of the day.

Since his retirement from the business, in which he had realised for himself, by untiring industry, a handsome competence, Mr. Mezger visited Port Phillip for the benefit of his health, but upon his return to his estate at New Town his constitution gradually sank, until the issue was fatal.

No comments:

Post a Comment