Overview Day One Hobart
During the Jillett/Bradshaw Reunion several key places are included in the itinerary. To assist with a little understanding of those places, some background information has been compiled.
|Hobart & Beyond|
The Meeting place at 10.00am will be the Foyer of 17 Liverpool Street Hobart, home of the Menzies Institute for Medical Research.
There will be further information on the significance of the Institute to the Jillett/Bradshaw Family.
Look for a person with Green, Yellow or Red
William Bradshaw family is Green Ann and Greg Williams-Fitzgerald
John Jillett family is Yellow Tony Beach
Thomas Jillett Family is Red Kris and John Herron
You will get a name badge, canvas bag and lanyon.
From there it is 280 metre walk along Campbell Street taking a turn into Collins Street, to the approximate location of the house that Robert and Elizabeth lived in, in Hobart, and which the Government basically "resumed".
Then via Market Place and 150 metres to the Hope and Anchor, (4 minutes) for 12.00 midday
Google maps indicate the total distance to be 400 metres.
then 150 metres to the Town Hall.
OR for those on the first charter it is then another 400 metre walk to the Elizabeth Street Docks.
The first sail from 1400 - 1530, with the second running from 1545 - 1715.
Events in Hobart.
The Hope and Anchor Tavern (formerly Hope and Anchor Hotel, the Alexander, the Whale Fishery and the Hope) is an Australian pub in Hobart, Tasmania. Built in 1807, it is claimed to be the oldest Australian pub, having continually operated until 2008.
However, The Bush Inn in New Norfolk claims to be the oldest operating Australian pub, because their venue has operated continuously since it opened in 1815 whereas the Hope and Anchor Tavern has had periods of closure (whilst still holding their licence) since opening in 1807.
The Hope and Anchor Tavern is referred to in 'Captain A E Sykes: memoirs'
It was reopened in 2014 after the building and its extensive antique collection were purchased by Chinese developer Kim Xing for A$1.5 million. The property was then leased to Robert Wilson[whose goal is to preserve a piece of Tasmanian history.
The building has been listed on the Tasmanian Heritage Register since 1998. The Hope and Anchor Tavern was owned for many years by Gunter Jaeger, who also owns Boomer Island. The current licence 2015 is Daniel Cullen whose food expertise has helped make the Hope and Anchor Tavern a hospitality success story since the reopening
The Hope and Anchor, known just as the Hope Inn, c 1900 (W.L. Crowther Library, SLT)
The Hope and Anchor claims to be Australia's oldest existing hotel – or, perhaps, to occupy the longest continually licensed site. It was built on the banks of the Hobart Rivulet near the Derwent foreshore, and Knopwood mentioned drinking there in 1807. With this waterfront situation, trading was very successful, and stories were told of the licensees' successful smuggling, with barrels of rum rolled up the bank at night to the hotel's cellars. The first hotel was extensively renovated in the 1820s and in 1827 claimed to be 'superior to any in Hobart Town'. It has had many names – the Whale Fishery, the Hope, the Anchor and Hope, the Alexandra – and many ups and downs, including rebuilding, and in 2004, after the most recent renovation, has a fine historical ambience and profits from the expanding tourist trade.
Further reading: D Bryce, Pubs in Hobart, Hobart, 1997.
Then to the Docks
City of Hobart local government area, hosting council meetings as well as acting as public auditorium that can be hired from the council. It is also open to periodic public tours, featuring its ornate Victorian auditorium and the Town Hall organ which has been in use since 1870.
By 1925 the state of the halls prominent portico had degenerated to the point it was declared unsafe and major restoration work had to be undertaken.
The building's well-known chandeliers were installed in the Town Hall's ballroom by former Lord Mayor Doone Kennedy.
Built in 1834 by Cascade Brewery founder Peter Degraves, the property is located next to the Theatre Royal, which will soon be directly linked to the university’s $90 million Academy for Creative Industries and Performing Arts on the corner of Collins and Campbell streets.
There are many other places of significance to the Family, including St David's Church, St David's Park, and St David's Cemetery. A separate story has been researched.
Also in St David's Park are memorials to the different families who came from New Norfolk.
|The Lady Nelson Monument|
The First Fleeter's Monument and the Irish Famine Monument are also of significance.
Thanks to Erica for the photos of the Opening
In St David's Park there is an obelisk that memorialises William Race Allison, 'member of the Legislative Council and House of Assembly of this colony for 20 years'. 'He did his duty.' 'Forget not the faithful dead.' There is a memorial to William Hutchins, Archdeacon, who died in 1841: 'Mark the Perfect Man. And behold the Upright. For the end of that man is Peace'. These imperial servants were builders of colonial foundations. The memorial to Lt-Governor David Collins records that under 'his direction … the site of the Town was chosen and the foundations of its first building was laid in 1804'. There is a monument to Sir John Eardley Eardley-Wilmot, Lt-Governor, 'erected as a mark of respect to his memory by Public Subscription', and to James Bicheno, Colonial Secretary and Registrar of Records: 'he was zealous in the discharge of his duties, kindhearted, hospitable and charitable, an affectionate husband and good father and sincere friend'. In colonial enterprise men did their duty.
|Salamanca around 1870's now a very popular area.|
Whaling was a significant part of the Jillett/Bradshaw ancestry. So many people were involved in whaling.
The Museum is located at 16 Argyle Street Hobart, Tasmania
Location: Argyle Street, Hobart.
History seeps from the stones on Hobart s waterfront, where colonial buildings are now galleries and where you can eat fresh seafood and watch a famous yacht race.
Ever since Hobart was founded in 1804, Sullivans Cove has been its dock area. The cove area itself is now known as Macquarie Wharf and still serves as the main port for the city. As one of Australia's finest deepwater ports, the River Derwent became the centre of the Southern Ocean whaling and the sealing trade, Sullivans Cove rapidly grew into a major port, with allied industries such as shipbuilding.
Sullivans Cove still holds large historical and sentimental value for the city; it is here that the migrant forefathers of many present-day Tasmanians first came ashore to begin a new life, and it is here where most tours and sea journeys around the shores of southern Tasmania begin and end, the most well known being the Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race, which finishes with celebratory champagne at Constitution Dock every December. For visitors, it has become a place to meet, to select a tour or trip or join others in one of the many eateries dotted around its shores.
Take your time as you explore this historic area that fuses the old and new. Admire the Georgian sandstone warehouses lining the dock that were built in the 1830s. These buildings were once used to store wool, grain and whale oil but are now converted into businesses, galleries and restaurants. At the north of the waterfront is the Gasworks Village where you can browse galleries and craft shops and sample whisky at the distillery.
Walk along the water's edge and see the historical features of the dock. Look out for the Hobart Heritage Steam Crane that was built in 1899 and the 1935 drawbridge that still operates today.
A trip to Constitution Dock would not be complete without experiencing the fresh seafood. Dine at one of the restaurants on the water or pick up some of the day's catch from the local fishermen. If you are here just after Christmas, experience the thrill of the classic international Sydney to Hobart yacht race. Constitution Dock is located at the southeast end of Franklin Wharf, on Sullivan's Cove, and is a 5-minute walk from the city centre.
|An 1854 Hobart Map|
The link below is for Walking Tours.
Places of Interest
Sheppard, Benjamin (Ben) (1876–1910) by R. H. Ewins
In 1893-96 he attended the Royal Academy of Arts' schools on a bursary. He won the Academy medal and on graduation made a 'poor man's' grand tour of Europe—by bicycle—as far as Rome before joining his sister Mary and her schoolmaster husband A. W. L. Southern at Bismarck (Collinsvale), Tasmania. Two years later he moved to Hobart. Unfortunately, bushfires on New Year's Day 1900 destroyed the Bismarck schoolhouse, and with it Sheppard's paintings, papers and academy studies.
It was inevitable in Hobart's small community, self-consciously striving for a cultural life, that the presence of a talented London-trained artist would be noticed. In 1898 he was commissioned to paint a small mural (still extant) in St Mary's College and another, larger one in St Joseph's Church (since obliterated). His appointment in 1900 as art master at the Hobart Technical School was not surprising. An energetic and inspiring teacher, he had among his pupils Mildred Lovett and Florence Rodway. On 11 December 1901 at St Paul's Church, Glenorchy, Sheppard married Elsie Rose Morrisby, a talented pianist and member of a socially noteworthy family. Sheppard himself was a violinist, and the marriage was commended in the press as a 'marriage of the arts'.
Despite heavy teaching commitments, Sheppard worked prolifically. Portraits included Sir Phillip Fysh (presented by the artist to the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery) and Premier Sir Neil Elliott Lewis, as well as sixty portrait-supplements for the Launceston Weekly Courier. A much-admired large painting, 'The Return of Colonel Cameron and the first Tasmanian Contingent sent to the Anglo-Boer War' (present whereabouts unknown), took eighteen months to complete.
Sheppard taught himself 'modelling' for teaching purposes. In 1903 his plaster statue of King Edward VII was placed outside the Treasury Buildings. It disintegrated, but in August he won a commission for a memorial to Tasmanian soldiers in the South African War. On 1 February 1905 this memorial, which he executed in London, was unveiled with great fanfare on the Hobart Domain, where it still stands. Undoubtedly Sheppard's masterpiece, a sensitive piece of work in a normally uninspired genre, it received generous acclaim in Britain and Australia. A replica was erected at Halifax, Yorkshire.
In 1905, joined in London by his family, Sheppard enjoyed recognition, with portrait commissions, work exhibited in the Academy, and election to the Society of British Sculptors. But in mid-1906 he contracted tuberculosis. After a year in sanatoriums, he went to South Africa where by 1909, working and exhibiting again, he achieved considerable acclaim. Then his health failed rapidly, and on 18 March 1910 he died at Cape Town, widely mourned and eulogized. His wife and son survived him.
Liverpool & Aberdeen Streets, Queens Domain, near Hobart Aquatic Centre, Hobart, 7000
Capt. C. St Clair Cameron. 27th Oct 1899
Capt. A. H. Riccall. 18th Jan. 1900
Lt. Col E. T. Wallack. 5th Mar. 1900
Capt. R. C. Lewis. 26th Apr 1900
Lt. Col. E. T. Watchorn. 27th Mar. 1901
Capt. A. W. B. Perceval. 16th Feb 1902.
Capt. A. Morrisby. 8th Apr. 1902.
Capt. K. A. Ogilvy. 21st May. 1902.
The Soldiers Memorial Avenue Queens Domain in Hobart 520 trees planted in World War ! for the soldiers who died.
Various members of the family served in the Boer War.
The Museum is located in the Military Gaol which was built in 1847. This building is little changed from when it was first built even though over the years it has also been used as a Girls Reformatory, a married quarter, a store and offices.
Volunteers operate the Museum. Displays interpret the colonial period when the British Army occupied the site and the various conflicts Tasmanian service men and women have been involved in from 1899 to the current operational deployments
Information regarding some of the Closed Cemeteries in Hobart.
Hobart Pubs - There were so many
Hobart Town Gazette and Southern Reporter (Tas. : 1816 - 1821), Saturday 6 September 1817, page 1
Saturday, 6th September, 1817.
No Person who is still under the Sentence of Law will be licenced as a Publican; nor will any Constables, Clerks, or other Persons in the Service of Government; and generally no Person need apply whose Application or Memorial is not accompanied with the most satisfactory Testimonial, to his or her Character, and Competency of keeping a Decent and Comfortable Public House.
W. A. Ross, Secretary.
Hobart Town Gazette and Southern Reporter (Tas. : 1816 - 1821), Saturday 15 November 1817, page 1
During the beginning of the week, it was currently reported in this town, that the commander of a vessel who lately arrived here from India, had actually bartered for a fine girl of Sixteen years of age; and that the inhuman father, destitute of the feelings of a parent, and one of those wretched characters who confer infamy on the name of man, went on board and received the property tendered him for his child. A female publican and her servant, it was said, were active agents in this scene of disgraceful iniquity!
Hobart Town Gazette and Southern Reporter (Tas. : 1816 - 1821), Saturday 3 October 1818, page 1
AT HOBART TOWN.
Thos. Wm. Stocker | Derwent Hotel
George Armytage | Plough Thomas Ransom | Carpenter's Arms
J. Lord and J. Clark | Dusty Miller Charles Connolly | Bricklayer's Arms Francis Barnes | Hope
John Eddington | Bird in Hand Maria Sergeant | Calcutta
Thos. L. Richardson | New Inn/ Richard Wallis | Cat and Fiddle
George Hopwood | City of London Arms
Andrew Whitehead | Herdsman's C. House
James Ballance | Freemason's Arms
William Atkins | Checquers
The License for the City of London Arms expires on the 29th of March, 1819.
H. E. Robinson, Secretary.
Saturday, October 16th, 1819.
AT HOBART TOWN.
NAME. | SIGN.
Wm. Thomas Stocker | Derwent Hotel /Richard Wallace | Cat and Fiddle
Henry Anson | City of London Arms/ Francis Barnes | Hope
James Brammer | King's Arms
Charles Connolly | Bricklayer's Arms/ John Eddington | Bird-in-Hand /George Hopwood - Green Gate /Michael Lee | Freemason's Arms /James Lord | Dusty Miller
Thomas Ransom | Crooked Billett /William Bradshaw | Jolly Sailor
William Atkins | Chequers
Messrs. Austin & Earle | Barley Mow
John Simons | Punch Bowl.
THE Licences for Public Houses approved
by the LIEUTENANT GOVERNOR from the 29th September having been granted by the Magistrates ; It is hereby notified that no Increase in the Number in Hobart Town will
be sanctioned during the current Year.
Licences having been granted in two or three Instances last Year, in the Districts, for Half the Annual Period, in Order to facilitate public Accommodation ; It is now declared that no Person who held a Licence last Year will be allowed a Renewal during the present, except for the whole Annual Period.
Hobart Town Gazette and Southern Reporter (Tas. : 1816 - 1821), Saturday 7 October 1820, page 1
Saturday, October 7th, 1820.
AT HOBART TOWN.
Thomas Wm. Stocker - Derwent Hotel
James Lord - Dusty Miller John Manby - Crooked Billet New Inn
George Hopwood - Green Gate
Thomas Ransom - Joiner's Arms Thomas Dixon - Kangaroo
Bernard Walford - Adam and Eve
Charles Connelly - Bricklayer's Arms John Eddington - Bird-in-Hand Edgar Luttrell - Crown and Anchor Henry Anson - City of London Arms John Mouten Brown Bear
Richard Wallis - Cat and Fiddle
Thomas Divine - Punch Bowl
BLACK SNAKE & OLD BEACH FERRY. Messrs. Austin & Earl - Barley Mow
H. E. Robinson, Secretary.
September 30th, 1820.
NOTICE. - His Majesty's Magazines under my Charge are Open for the Reception of Wheat from any Person having it to dispose of, and will continue so until next Harvest.
GEO. HULL, Dep, Assist. Commy, Genl. COMMISSARIAT OFFICES, HOBART TOWN.
September 7th, 1820.
NOTICE, - An Issue of Slops to the Female Prisoners who came from the Janus in the Brig Princess Charlotte will take Place at His Majesty's Magazine, on Thursday next, the 12th Instant, between the Hours of Eleven and Two.
Elizabeth Rebecca Young m Thomas Mezger
He was the son of John Mezger and his wife Agnes Scott. He came from Wurtemberg Germany and was naturalised in 1835. They married in 1825, and his name written at Mezzer.
It is erected at the rear of the corn mill, and is worked by a communicating shaft with the powerful waterwheel. By a mechanical contrivance they can both be worked together, or the bone mill can be thrown out of gear. Upon the shaft is placed a large cog wheel which turns another placed upon a surmounting shaft, the pair of which at the end have an iron movement, or shaft coupling, which each give motion to a pair of strong toothed indented iron rollers, working one into the other.
The bones which are brought in, and purchased from collectors in town, are in the upper room, where by a kind of hopper they are raked between the upper pair of rollers, and are instantaneously crushed into small pieces. From these rollers they pass between the other pair, and are again crushed into finer pieces. Underneath these rollers, and at each side, a set of teeth are horizontally indented in the pedestal, thus preventing the larger particles from passing into a secondhopper, except upon being crushed again by the under rollers, the teeth of which move in the slots of the teethplates.
One of the under-rollers has a small pinion affixed to its axis, which gives motion to a shaft and pair of pulleys with strap moving a transverse cylinder, which receives the crushed bones from the second and last hopper. The revolutions of the cylinder, which is pierced with holes, prevents, by operating as a sieve, the escape of the larger pieces of bone, except at the lower end thereof, the next smaller coming out in the centre, and the dust at the top, where baskets are placed to receive it. The dust coming through the upper portion of the cylinder is now ready for the market, and becomes valuable as a manure.
The properties thereof have been duly canvassed in England, and are of the greatest importance in agriculture. Mr. Mezger disposes of it at the price of £4 per ton. The crushed bones in the other baskets are subsequently taken up stairs, and again submitted to the action of the rollers, the crushing process being repeated until the whole is made available for sale.
In the conservatory there are some thousands of grapes already ripening. A handsome fountain in an alcove, dilapidated at the time of the purchase, has been put in play, and every thing is kept in excellent order.
Restoration/Renovation Open Value.
Cornwall Chronicle (Launceston, Tas. : 1835 - 1880), Saturday 4 February 1854, page 5