News of Paine's drowning and anxiety as to the outcome of his investment decided Butler on visiting the colony. He arrived in Hobart Town with his wife, in the Prince Regent in July 1824, secured the disposal of the sugar, and was admitted as a practitioner in the Supreme Court, although he intended to return to England. Impressed with the colony's potential and the success of his practice, he decided to remain.
He applied for the customary land grant, became a director of the Bank of Van Diemen's Land in 1829, and was associated with the Commercial Bank. He was a member of the Hobart Town Book Society, and assumed some social responsibility on joining the Benevolent Society on its foundation in 1834.
Of a forthright personality and with astute business sense, he achieved success in his profession and added to his enemies, one of whom was the diarist, George Boyes, who dubbed him 'one of the richest lawyers and greatest rogues in the country'. Investing his capital in land, he soon owned large properties far and wide in Van Diemen's Land, and many allotments in Hobart.
On 2 February 1852 Butler died in Hobart at Stowell, the house he had bought from the colonial secretary, John Montagu, for £6000. His widow died on 13 August 1870.
His third son, Henry, achieved eminence as a surgeon, politician and educationalist, and Francis, the fourth, was the architect of Hobart's Memorial Congregational Church, the Commercial (later E. S. & A.) Bank, and the Cotswold-style stone stables at Shene, Butler's Bagdad estate.
Three other sons entered the legal profession. Butler had taken R. W. Nutt into partnership and when his sons joined the firm it became known as Butler, Nutt & Butler. In 1966 the seventh generation of Gamaliel Butler's descendants were practising law in Tasmania.
Miniatures of Gamaliel and Sarah Butler and portraits of Edward Paine Butler and his wife Martha Sarah, née Asprey, are in the possession of Mr Eustace Butler, Launceston, Tasmania; Wainewright's painting of three of Butler's daughters is in the possession of Miss D. Bisdee, Snug, Tasmania.
Edward Paine Butler (1811–1849)
Edward was the eldest son of lawyer and landowner Gamaliel Butler and his wife Sarah, who emigrated to Van Diemen’s Land in 1824. Edward followed in 1835 with his wife, Martha Sarah Butler (née Asprey 1811–1864), to take up a position in the law firm established by his father in Hobart. Martha and Edward’s first child, a son, was born in 1835; another four children, three sons and a daughter, were born between 1837 and 1842. Following Edward’s death from tuberculosis at age thirty-seven. Martha returned to Europe. She never remarried, living in London and Paris for a number of years before returning to Hobart. She died at the Butler family home, Stowell, in Battery Point, in July 1864.
Accession number: 2009.149
Martha Sarah Butler (née Asprey, 1811–1864) married Edward Butler in London and travelled with him to Van Diemen's Land, arriving in July 1835. Her first child, Edward Charles, was born the same year; and another four children, three sons and a daughter, were born between 1837 and 1842. According to a Butler family historian, Martha was 'by all accounts a highly cultured, elegant and frivolous woman.'
The same writer relates an anecdote about a close call Martha experienced when the ship on which she and Edward travelled to Hobart was wrecked in the D’Entrecasteaux Channel: with the vessel (named The Enchantress) sinking, Martha is said to have risked her life by returning to her cabin to retrieve her jewellery, only to lose it when, as she climbed into a life boat, it slipped out of the handkerchief she had wrapped it in. Martha returned to Europe after Edward's death in 1849. She never remarried, living in London and Paris for a number of years before returning to Hobart. She died at the Butler family home, Stowell, in Battery Point, in July 1864.
Collection: National Portrait Gallery, Canberra
Accession number: 2009.150
Portraits by Wainwright
One son, Francis Frederick Butler, returned to Tasmania where he was a pastoralist and orchardist. His son, William Frederick Dennis Butler, was a lawyer, and his son, Eustace Gamaliel Butler also practised law and was a Magistrate in Launceston. Edward Butler, until recently the owner of the portraits, was a lawyer and Judge in the Family Law Court of Australia, until his retirement in 1997. The family law firm still exists, known today as Butler, McIntyre and Butler.
He married Ellen Butler and their nine children were: Winchester Munn Bisdee, who married Eva Dorinda Wright at St Paul's Church of England, Glenorchy on 15 Jan 1883 and had children Athol (born 1885), Bernard (born 1886), Stephen (born 1888) and Dorothy (born 1889); lived at 'Tedworth', 'Llanberis' and 'Heston'. Harold, unmarried, lived at Melton Mowbray. Lucy and Bessie both unmarried, Edith Mary, Reginald, E. Ina (born in 1878), Amy E. and John Hutton Bisdee.
Butler sailed as surgeon-superintendent in 1849 in the William Jardine; in Hobart he complained to the Colonial Land and Emigration Office that, pending employment, free settlers had on arrival to occupy convict quarters. In January 1850 the Tasmanian Court of Medical Examiners accepted his qualifications; he practised in Macquarie Street for thirty-five years and his skill brought him large financial rewards. He also treated patients in the Brighton area where he had a country home, Shene, in Bagdad, and acted as an honorary at St Mary's Self-Supporting Hospital in Davey Street, founded by Dr Edward Bedford, and Dr Kevin O'Doherty. From 1868 Butler was a member of the Tasmanian Court of Medical Examiners and its president from 1881-84, and an honorary medical officer at the Hobart General Hospital from 1860 and a member of its board in 1877.
On 7 September 1853 Butler married Catherine Penelope, sister of Thomas Whistler Smith, of Glenrock near Sydney, an old family friend. The Butlers lived at Lambton farm at Glenorchy and later moved to Stowell, his parents' home at Battery Point. They had five daughters and five sons, the eldest of whom, Gamaliel Henry, qualified as a physician in 1879, was a member of the Legislative Council in 1896-1914 and served as chief secretary in 1909-14.
Henry Butler unsuccessfully contested the Brighton seat in the Legislative Council in 1851 as an opponent of transportation and an advocate of free trade. Three years later he was successful. After responsible government he was a member of the House of Assembly in 1856-62 and 1866-85. In 1858 he proposed that Tasmania should follow other Australian colonies by sending delegates to a conference on Federation; he was elected as one of the assembly's two representatives. His main contribution as a politician, however, was in the field of education. In 1854 he became a member of the new Central Education Board which had Thomas Arnold as its first secretary.
In 1856 when Northern and Southern Boards were created Butler became chairman of the Southern Board, and after their amalgamation in 1862 chaired the combined board. In 1858 he was a member of the Council of Education which helped to establish the Associate of Arts degree and was one of the commissioners who in 1860 inquired into Tasmanian education. He was also closely connected with later educational changes: in 1861 as a member of the select committee on the distribution of annual grants; in 1862 on the select committee of inquiry into government education; and in 1867 on the royal commission which recommended compulsory education, certification of teachers, a central board with limited powers, local authorities to assess parental contributions, the appointment of inspectors and truant officers, and a fixed annual government grant instead of an annual vote. Many of these recommendations were embodied in the Public Schools Act of 1868. For these services he was hailed by the Examiner as 'the father of the system of compulsory education in Tasmania'; the Mercury observed that 'Dr. Butler was mainly instrumental in getting the compulsory clauses of the Act passed'. Although Butler clearly did not favour denominational schools he probably did little more than implement many of the proposals for state schools originally put forward by Thomas Arnold.
In August 1869 Butler joined (Sir) James Wilson's ministry without portfolio. In October 1869, when a new Ministry of Lands and Works was created to amalgamate the Departments of Lands and Surveys with Public Works, Butler became the first minister with a salary of £700; he retained this post until 1872. As minister, Butler secured the passage of three Acts. As early as 1860 he had moved for a committee to consider the future use of unsettled lands and he was a member of a committee on the disposal of waste lands in 1869. The Waste Lands Act of 1870 reserved land for settlers from India and for public purposes, and regulated sales and prices.
The Mineral Leases Act of 1870 dealt chiefly with exploration licences and leases. The Goldfields Regulation Act of 1870 gave the government powers to deal with miners' rights, claims, encroachments, strikes and partnership questions. An irrigation and drainage bill which he introduced in 1872 lapsed. Finally, in Butler's ministry, work commenced on the Main Line railway. According to the Mercury, Butler was one of the colony's few leading politicians who firmly supported the railway and from 1870 'ably assisted … in persuading a reluctant ministry and timid legislature to give its sanction to the construction of a Railway between Hobart and Launceston'; but the only evidence to link him with the promoters of the scheme in the 1860s was his membership in 1862 of a select committee which recommended a northern railway and his presentation in 1869 of a petition from residents of Green Ponds who wanted the line to pass closer to their town.
In 1877 Butler was elected Speaker and retained the position until he retired in 1885. He was a member of the Tasmanian Royal Society, the Lunacy Commission, the Salmon Commission and the Board of Immigration, and one of the first commissioners of New Norfolk Asylum. He died on 22 August 1885.
Mr. Butler arrived in Hobart on the 13th December, 1835, in a small brig of 230 tons, called The Auriga, under Captain Chalmers, after a passage of between three and four months. He shortly afterwards went to school at Longford. The school was at Longford-hall, and the principal was Mr. W. G. Elliston, the father of the late Mr. Chas. Elliston, solicitor, of Hobart. Mr. Elliston shortly afterwards came to Hobart, and Mr. W. H. Wilmot was appointed principal. Young Butler was a great favourite with the scholars.
The Hon. Thos. Reibey and Mr. Tom Gibson were fellow-students. Mr. Butler here first met his wife, then a girl of six years of age. She was a daughter of Mr. Wilmot. The late Ven. Archdeacon Davies was at that time the incumbent of Longford. When Mr. Butler left school, in January, 1838, he was articled to Mr. Robert Pitcairn, the leading solicitor in Hobart at the time, and after spending five years in his office he passed his examination as a legal practitioner, and was admitted to the Bar on December 4, 1843. He started practice on his own account, but subsequently give up practice, and followed agricultural pursuits.
On the death of his brother (Mr. Edward Paine Butler) he was offered and accepted a partnership in his father's business. The other partners were Mr. Gamaliel Butler and Mr. R. W. Nutt, and the firm was known as Butler, Nutt, and Son. On his father's death, in 1857 the firm consisted of Mr. Nutt and Mr. C. Butler, and was known as Nutt and Butler. In 1858 Mr. Nutt decided to start practice in Melbourne, and Mr. Butler continued the practice for many years at the old offices in Harrington-street. Mr. Nutt, his late partner, was very successful in Melbourne, and the present well-known firm of Blake and Riggall carry on the business evolved by him.
Early in 1867 Mr. Butler took Mr. John McIntyre (now Mr. Justice McIntyre) into partnership, and the firm was known as Butler and McIntyre. Mr. Edward Henry Butler was admitted as a partner some years later, and the firm's name was altered to Butler, McIntyre, and Butler, which name it retains to the present day. Mr. C. W. Butler joined the firm a few years later. The deceased was often asked to stand for Parliament, both for the House of Assembly and for the Legislative Council, but he felt that he could not both do justice to his business and engage in Parliamentary life, so he always refused. He was an enthusiastic supporter of cricket, and the Break o' Day Club owed its existence to him. He was a member of the Synod for very many years, and only resigned his position through old age.
He was also for some years one of the board of the Benevolent Society. He had a family of ten— five boys and five girls, of whom eight survive him. Messrs. E. H. Butler and C. W. Butler, who are members of the above firm, and Mr. Herbert Butler, who is it surveyor in Queensland; Mrs. Cox, widow of the late Colonel A. T. Cox, C.B.; Mrs. Bean, wife of the Rev. E. Bean, headmaster of Brentwood Grammar School, Essex; Mrs. McAulay, wife of Professor McAulay, and the Misses Butler, of Ellerslie.
No doubt the Butler family was very prominent in the affairs and politics of Tasmania, during the 1800's. They were also John Hutton Bisdee's uncles.
While Ellen Butler married John Bisdee, her sister Sarah Butler, married her husband's uncle, Alfred Henry Bisdee.
Edward's wife Rose Axford married in England, after Edward's death, as her second husband, Charles Asprey, who was the brother in law of Ellen and Sarah Butler.
The Asprey Family were Jewellers in London
Asprey was established in England in Mitcham, Surrey in 1781. Founded as a silk printing business by William Asprey, it soon became a luxury emporium. In 1841, William Asprey's elder son Charles went into partnership with a stationer located on London's Bond Street. In 1847 the family broke with this partner and moved into 167 New Bond Street, the premises Asprey occupies today. From its central London location Asprey advertised 'articles of exclusive design and high quality, whether for personal adornment or personal accompaniment and to endow with richness and beauty the table and homes of people of refinement and discernment.' An early speciality was dressing cases. Asprey crafted traditional cases and designs, mostly in leather, suitable for the new style of travel ushered in by railways.
Rose Bisdee married Albert Henry Trenchard,
Then Rose's half sister Mary married Peter Gordon Fraser, and had a son Donald Fraser 1852 - 1897. He was a Doctor and he married Albert's sister Elizabeth Trenchard 1853
Tasmanian sketcher, carver and merchant, produced gigantic picture frames, reproducing birds, fruits and flowers, and modest watercolours.
sketcher, carver and merchant, was working in the commissariat department, Hobart Town, Van Diemen’s Land, in the 1840s. His first wife, a daughter of Commissary James Laidley and sister of the Sydney merchant Thomas Sutcliffe Mort, died in Sydney and Mitchell later married a sister of Sir George Wigram Allen, Speaker of the New South Wales House of Assembly.
In 1856 Mitchell became manager of the Kent brewery in Sydney, and he was subsequently senior partner in Tooth’s brewery for many years. Mitchell exhibited The Momentous Question , an Indian ink line-drawing (called an 'etching’), at the 1854 Australian Museum Exhibition in Sydney in preparation for the 1855 Paris Universal Exhibition.
The elaborately carved picture frame of New Zealand wood 'by an amateur artist’ which J.S. Mitchell separately lent to the exhibition was undoubtedly its owner’s work also. Nehemiah Bartley called him 'a gifted and scientific man, and author of some very valuable experiments on the strength and tenacity of Australian timbers, while as a wood carver, his amateur efforts in the way of gigantic picture frames, reproducing birds, fruits and flowers in marvellous fidelity, would almost vie with the masterly productions of artists like Grinling Gibbons’.
His sketches are more modest. His watercolour Ballroom at Etham Point, Sydney (c.1870), known only from a photograph, shows a grand conservatory-like room in his home with two little girls (presumably his daughters) gazing out at the splendid harbour
The Nave - North Side
The top part of the nearer window in the north wall contains the few surviving fragments of late 15th or early 16th century stained glass, including the arms of various members of the Payne and Oldmixon families. The more easterly window and the adjacent mural tablets are late Victorian and early 20th century memorials to members of the Bisdee family. Also two memorial tablets to the Brent family who resided at Hutton Court in the first half of the 19th century. Between the two windows is the War Memorial tablet, commemorating the victims of the two World Wars.
The 1785 pews were repaired in 1975-1976 and a few removed to provide more space at both ends of the nave. The floor area thus exposed, together with that of the middle passage, partly boarded and partly paved with old tombstones, was then covered with a blue carpet.
BISDEE , Marjorie Beryl . 13 July 1969
DICK , George Abercromby . 12 January 1909 - 15 May 1987
DICK , Ronald (buried England) . 1879 - 3 October 1914
DICK , Zelda Annie . 16 November 1907 - 13 August 2003
The movement for the erection of a church at Jericho began in 1827. Up until this time, the district was being supplied by William Pike, a catechist, who lived at “Park Farm”, Jericho. However it wasn’t until 1838 that a church was built and it was consecrated by Bishop William Grant Broughton on Tuesday 10 May 1838.
Fifty years later, cracks appeared in the building, and it was decided to erect another building on the same site. On the 29th April 1888 the new church, St James’ Church, Jericho was consecrated by Bishop Sandford.
As a dominant township element, St. James’ is of great significance to Jericho. Architectural fittings and furnishings bear dedications to prominent early members of the district, including Thomas Gregson who was Premier of Tasmania in 1857, and who’s property “Northumbria” borders the church. St. James’ is listed on the Tasmanian Heritage Register for its community values and its ability to represent a modest sandstone Victorian Gothic Church. The building was designed by the well know architect, Henry Hunter, who was responsible for many fine building around Tasmania. Walter Fish was responsible for the stonework and the woodwork was carried out by Charles Ellen, both of Oatlands.
The stained-glass windows were added over time and are some of the best examples of Australia’s glass artists, including John Lamb Lyons (Sydney), George Dancey, William Kerr-Morgan, Brooks Robinson (renowned for the strength of his workmanship) and perhaps the most important window which was the last window that William Montgomery crafted. The beautiful window at the rear of the church, “Crucifixion” was executed by Augustus Fischer of Melbourne. His windows are rare and his work was renowned for his treatment of flowers.
The wall treatment and stenciling are rare and beautiful.
It is also thought that St. James Church was the first church in the southern hemisphere to have conducted an Ecumenical Service. The churchyard includes an Avenue of Honour, a row of pine trees dedicated to local men (and one woman) who served in W.W.1.
St. James’ is a family church of the Bisdees, a prominent pastoral family of the district. They took an active part in the welfare of the church and it’s people. John Hutton Bisdee was the first Australian-born Victoria Cross recipient, and is buried in the cemetery. Bisdee was awarded the V.C. in 1900 for bravery in the Transvaal War, following which he returned to Tasmania to the family farm, and later served in W.W.1. He passed away on his property in 1930. The two Bisdee family plots are a dominant feature of the cemetery when approaching the doors of St. James’.
For the botanist, the cemetery is one of only two sites in Tasmania where the rare plant Leptorhynchos Elongatus or Lanky Buttons can be found. This bright yellow daisy was recorded by the botanist J. D. Hooker in the 19th century as “not uncommon”.
George Edols (1789-1836)
|William Danger (1814-1834)
John Danger (1817-1888)
Thomas Danger (1819-1898)
Henry Danger (1821-1832)
George Danger (1823-1905)
Robert Ernest Danger (1824-1870)
Elizabeth Danger (1826-1915)
Mary Danger (1828-1880)
Martha Danger (1830-1933)
Jane Danger (1832-1854)