The Otaki Historical Society record the following information about Pukekaraka hill
An accommodation house built by William Davis, opposite Rangiatea, was taken over by postmaster Frederick Martin. Another accommodation house, run by Thomas and Mary Dodds, burnt down.
The first four founding Sisters pictured right (from left): Sr M Hyacinth, Sr M Teresa, Sr M Joseph, Sr M Clare (in front).
- 1883 Three of these Sisters went up the Whanganui River to the Maori settlement of Hiruharama with Suzanne Aubert. Two remained working there for several months, returning to their work in Wanganui in 1884. Later, Suzanne Aubert was to begin the first New Zealand Catholic Sisters – the Daughters of Our Lady of Compassion.
- 1912 A new convent and large secondary and day school was built on St John’s Hill, Wanganui. It carried on the name of the original school, Sacred Heart Convent. Sisters were now teaching in schools from Taranaki to Hawkes Bay, and south to Otaki.
- 1920 – 1960 Time of growth and expansion in both numbers and ministry in the schools
John, became a saddler, first at Lower Hutt, later at Urenui in North Taranaki and, in between times, ran a coaching business at Titahi Bay. The other brother Joesph, served in both the Boer War and the Great War, later becoming involved with horse racing at Trentham.
Driver is John Robert Jillett. Sabina's brother
Photo from Pataka Museum Collection, at Porirua Library ref P.2.74.
Their uncle William Jillett was one of the earliest European farmers in the area, arriving in 1864, and he has often been called the ‘true pioneer’ of Titahi Bay. Jillett started up a horse-drawn ‘bus’ service from the Bay to Porirua and became the first postmaster in 1902. His nephew John Robert Jillett drove the coach.
From the 1920s real estate and holiday brochures promoted Titahi Bay's 'broad, deep sweep of sandy beach' as a natural and healthy destination. Most of these early holiday-makers would catch the train to Porirua and then the horse bus to the Bay. It is believed that the first bach was built in Christmas of 1900 by the Sievers family.
What’s interesting about the 1959 shirt is who made them. Rather than take their shirts with them, the Lions ordered shirts from local manufacturers – in this case, a knitwear company by the name of Canterbury… 58 years later, Canterbury ended Adidas 18-year run as jersey sponsor when the Lions signed the New Zealand